Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

I know I'm still young, but this last birthday just reminded me of how little I've accomplished in life. :( One of my Facebook friends, who's about my age, is from Saudi Arabia, has two Master's degrees and is a PhD candidate, and wants to return to her home country so she can start a school for girls. I have one Master's degree that I didn't even want to go back to school for, still live with my parents, and probably won't get any of the jobs I've interviewed for. 

So I might not feel your pain exactly, but I know that dread of getting older. :(

Yeah well I am going through something similar...

Last Friday, I went for lunch for the departure of one of my colleagues. She is about 2 years older than I. She has been on maternity leave for about a year for the birth of her 3rd child. See now already, I feel lesser because I didn't have the 3rd child: I have only two and no plans to make a 3rd one. I haven't succeed at having the upscale job and the perfect family: I stopped midway.

She moved onto another town, she bought a house I would never dream of buying and she got hired as a R&D manager a position which is, I must admit, several levels above my own. See, I am just an mere engineer (not a manager): I am well into my thirties and I haven't made a MBA (everyone does these days) or moved onto upper management (by the time you are thirty, most people have) preferring to stay on the lower levels and to actually make the designs.  

All she talked about was how amazing the new job was and how much she was going to help them move forward into their organization maturity (or some smart sounding term she used) and how they needed someone with drive (namely her) to push the projects forwards... all that with three kids... and a husband who started his own company which, still according to her, was rising up quickly.

She hired a nanny and these are storming expensive. I certainly can't afford that nor do I wish to.

It made me feel little. Me, who is not even capable to squeeze in enough hours to call it a full-time job (I have a wonderful employer) because I consider getting the kids at a decent hours is worth more than the additional salary (mind my workload is not reduced, I've just got a reputation for being fast, very fast, but I do it in less time and a lesser salary). So to see all of those women my age (she is not the only one) who successfully manage an larger family than my own, a better job than my own and who thrives on it makes me feel.... I don't know... like I have no ambition or something.

So yeah I definitely understand how you feel with respect to your friend because this is exactly how I feel with respect to other women my age I happen to know.

The only consolation is my former colleague looked much older than her years... while I look a bit younger. So at least, there is that  :ph34r:

Old people's problems... Have you done enough in your life? Or too little?

Last Friday, I went for lunch for the departure of one of my colleagues. She is about 2 years older than I. She has been on maternity leave for about a year for the birth of her 3rd child. See now already, I feel lesser because I didn't have the 3rd child: I have only two and no plans to make a 3rd one. I haven't succeed at having the upscale job and the perfect family: I stopped midway.

She moved onto another town, she bought a house I would never dream of buying and she got hired as a R&D manager a position which is, I must admit, several levels above my own. See, I am just an mere engineer (not a manager): I am well into my thirties and I haven't made a MBA (everyone does these days) or moved onto upper management (by the time you are thirty, most people have) preferring to stay on the lower levels and to actually make the designs.  

All she talked about was how amazing the new job was and how much she was going to help them move forward into their organization maturity (or some smart sounding term she used) and how they needed someone with drive (namely her) to push the projects forwards... all that with three kids... and a husband who started his own company which, still according to her, was rising up quickly.

She hired a nanny and these are storming expensive. I certainly can't afford that nor do I wish to.

It made me feel little. Me, who is not even capable to squeeze in enough hours to call it a full-time job (I have a wonderful employer) because I consider getting the kids at a decent hours is worth more than the additional salary (mind my workload is not reduced, I've just got a reputation for being fast, very fast, but I do it in less time and a lesser salary). So to see all of those women my age (she is not the only one) who successfully manage an larger family than my own, a better job than my own and who thrives on it makes me feel.... I don't know... like I have no ambition or something.

So yeah I definitely understand how you feel with respect to your friend because this is exactly how I feel with respect to other women my age I happen to know.

The only consolation is my former colleague looked much older than her years... while I look a bit younger. So at least, there is that  :ph34r:

Ouch. :( Those perfect people just make the rest of us feel so…inadequate. I know everyone says not to compare yourself, but when you run across a woman like that, it's so storming difficult not to. 

Ouch. :( Those perfect people just make the rest of us feel so…inadequate. I know everyone says not to compare yourself, but when you run across a woman like that, it's so storming difficult not to. 

Yeah it is practically impossible not to feel diminished... In the evening, when the kids are sleeping, she is on her Blackberry doing whatever it is she does and this is on days she actually comes back home early enough to say good nights to the kids... Often, she just calls home to say "night-night". 

What do I do with my evenings?

I either go to the gym or I waste time discussing books on the Internet  :ph34r: Yeah that looks really nice into a conversation... "So what is it you do?" "I write theories about characters from my favorite book".  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Deadly silence.

"Oh I don't have personal time. Life is rock and roll."  :blink:

Did I mention her kids go to some private upscale school while my own go to the..... public school at the corner of the street (which is actually pretty decent)? 

"What you haven't paid for private school? Don't you care about your kids future?"

"I think the public school is perfect for now. Sure it is bit old, but I mean, they are so nice......... A really likes it there. I mean, they are really, really nice." 

"But the public school........ well I chose..."

Do we have an emoticon which screams????

Just remember, life isn't a competition! We all make it to the finish line ;)

Yeah I do know that, but it is sometimes hard to remember this one when faced with people who seem so much better than you are. It is hard not to compare, sometimes, especially when you are about to add one year and you look back...

"What have I accomplished last year worth mentioning?" 

Yeah it is practically impossible not to feel diminished... In the evening, when the kids are sleeping, she is on her Blackberry doing whatever it is she does and this is on days she actually comes back home early enough to say good nights to the kids... Often, she just calls home to say "night-night". 

What do I do with my evenings?

I either go to the gym or I waste time discussing books on the Internet  :ph34r: Yeah that looks really nice into a conversation... "So what is it you do?" "I write theories about characters from my favorite book".  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Deadly silence.

"Oh I don't have personal time. Life is rock and roll."  :blink:

Did I mention her kids go to some private upscale school while my own go to the..... public school at the corner of the street (which is actually pretty decent)? 

"What you haven't paid for private school? Don't you care about your kids future?"

"I think the public school is perfect for now. Sure it is bit old, but I mean, they are so nice......... A really likes it there. I mean, they are really, really nice." 

"But the public school........ well I chose..."

Do we have an emoticon which screams????

Yeah I do know that, but it is sometimes hard to remember this one when faced with people who seem so much better than you are. It is hard not to compare, sometimes, especially when you are about to add one year and you look back...

"What have I accomplished last year worth mentioning?"

It sounds like you're having more fun than she is, though. And your kids are probably happier than hers. So there's that. 

I know I'm still young, but this last birthday just reminded me of how little I've accomplished in life. :( One of my Facebook friends, who's about my age, is from Saudi Arabia, has two Master's degrees and is a PhD candidate, and wants to return to her home country so she can start a school for girls. I have one Master's degree that I didn't even want to go back to school for, still live with my parents, and probably won't get any of the jobs I've interviewed for.

So I might not feel your pain exactly, but I know that dread of getting older. :(

I feel similar to you, I'm also young but I spent my birthday reflecting on what little I've accomplished compared to other people I used to know. I still don't have my degree (all sorts of reasons for that), I live with family, and while I have a job that pays the bills, I feel like I'm stuck in the position I have with no real opportunity for advancement. Then I see my friends who have good jobs, are getting married, buying houses for themselves...sigh.

Same, stuck doing nothing. No idea what I want to do, absolutely allergic to school so I dont want to go back there, ever.

I should get a proper microphone so I can start a youtube channel, read my creepy stories, talk about stuff, like games, and make fun of things gamers get angry about because that would be funny, record some songs and sounds that could kind of be considered music.

And start a blog so I have somewhere to post my stories and other creepy things.

I dont want to move up the career ladder, or start a family or any of that. I want to create weird things, travel and make the world a weirder place.

Of course being weird does not pay for food, instruments or books...

It was 80 degrees yesterday.

I am not in favor of this.

My ideal temperature is literally half of this.

Send me your snow.

It's been 35C here lately

Google says that's about 26C which sounds awesome to me, we've been in 30-35C weather here lately. (95F)

Therefore I am in more need of snow :P

Those are good temperatures. I like those kind. It's the same here, but what sets it apart from the summer is the fact that it will actually cool down at night. -_-

Edit: Oh, yes Maxal. I'm a youngster, but it sounds like you're doing just fine. Having personal time is important for your health, and spending time with your children is necessary. When that women looks back at her life later, she'll probably wish she had paid more attention to her kids. And if you like that public school, stay there. The high standard schools can get annoying, my sister was in one during kindergarten, but the expectations there were ridiculous so we quit.

Anyway, my point is that you sound like you're good.

Edited by The Honor Spren

Twi, you're over a decade younger than I am, and *I* don't have a Master's degree.  You are accomplished! :P

I'm with Twi here - it sounds like you are doing much better at that whole work-life balance thing.  Could I have pursued a more ambitious career?  Probably.  Could I have had kids?  Certainly.  I did neither of those things, and I am quite happy with my life.  That woman you are trying to compare yourself to sounds exhausting.  I don't want her life.  I'd go stark raving mad trying to live her life.  You don't have to live her life, and you don't have to send your kids to her school.  And you know, it's kind of crappy of her to look down on you for not sending your kids to that school.

OK, yeah, I kind of dislike this woman now.  How dare she imply that you don't love your kids because you're not doing everything exactly the way she does it?

I agree with KKaymyth your job does not define you, amount of kids does not define you. You have provided good resons why you like your job and kids they way they are, so why feel inferior? Not having time to spend with kids, even to say goodnight is horrible, they won't know their mother, only their nanny. That woman sounds like workaholic, you don't want to be her.

Also what's up with this private vs. Public schooling? Are those private schools really better? In Poland there are really few private schools and as far as high schools go, they hardly ever can compete with best public schools in town. And private universities and considered heavily inferior to the public ones. Don't feel bad that your kids are in public school, especially if they ate still in the early stages of education.

Maxal, this woman may have the luxuries that you can't afford but that's not what matters. It's how you live your life, and doing what makes you happy. You're there for your children, and as someone who was raised by workaholics, having your parents there with you is worth a lot more than having a fancy house with a nanny.

Edit: Oh, yes Maxal. I'm a youngster, but it sounds like you're doing just fine. Having personal time is important for your health, and spending time with your children is necessary. When that women looks back at her life later, she'll probably wish she had paid more attention to her kids. And if you like that public school, stay there. The high standard schools can get annoying, my sister was in one during kindergarten, but the expectations there were ridiculous so we quit.

Anyway, my point is that you sound like you're good.

OK, yeah, I kind of dislike this woman now.  How dare she imply that you don't love your kids because you're not doing everything exactly the way she does it?

Also what's up with this private vs. Public schooling? Are those private schools really better? In Poland there are really few private schools and as far as high schools go, they hardly ever can compete with best public schools in town. And private universities and considered heavily inferior to the public ones. Don't feel bad that your kids are in public school, especially if they ate still in the early stages of education.

Public schools are badly viewed upon and it is generally accepted private schools offer superior instruction. As a result, many parents chose private school even if it is expensive (now you understand I mean the parents who make enough money to pay for it). It is also considered if your kid is minimally good at school, private school will be better than low-key public school were, oh horror, he may sit next to a kid having a learning disability...

My parents didn't believe in private school. They believed mingling with what they considered to be "normal people" as opposed to "upper class people" was more healthy and helped develop greater compassion. They also thought seeing other kids who actually struggled was a humbling experience and would teach me humility while private school was more likely to teach me arrogance.

My mother also didn't believe in school uniforms and the endless rules stating they destroyed the kids independence and creativity. I happen to actually agree with her here as I absolutely detest school uniforms.

My parents also thought we would be happier if they used the private school money to go on vacations.... I can't say I disagree.

It is however sadly common for parents to look into private schools, though most of them only consider it for secondary school (pass 6th grade). While I do agree it may be preferable once there (I have not given up on that public school: I have faith in it, but I have to admit it doesn't look to appealing right now), private school for elementary school?????? Really? 

My daughter is in kindergarten and I don't see why I should have pushed her through a series of tests just so she could get "chosen" by some snobbish school apparently SO superior to the one at the corner of the street. Not to mention the ridicule to sort 5 years old children at an age where their little brain has not even reach maturity: having a 5 years old recite the alphabet by heart does or be an ace at doing those preschoolers activity book (my daughter just colored the flowers and ignored the game) not guarantee future success in school, it is not how it works.

There are certain individuals who would look down on you for this, sadly yes. There are.

As Honorspren pointed out, those, with their super-enhanced curriculum, do not seem to understand these are little children who still want to play. 

For the rest, thank you for your kind words. Call it the mid-thirty crisis :ph34r:  There is a social pressure, when you are a woman, to break this stupid glass roof and rise up to upscale positions. Women like my former colleague are exactly what papers, shows and everything praise all over. She is the picture perfect of what society needs.

This being said, I would never want her life. I am just flustered it seems to be so desirable and I wish I knew more "normal women" as opposed to "careerist ones" who do their MBA while nursing their 3rd child.

Public schools are badly viewed upon and it is generally accepted private schools offer superior instruction. As a result, many parents chose private school even if it is expensive (now you understand I mean the parents who make enough money to pay for it). It is also considered if your kid is minimally good at school, private school will be better than low-key public school were, oh horror, he may sit next to a kid having a learning disability...

My parents didn't believe in private school. They believed mingling with what they considered to be "normal people" as opposed to "upper class people" was more healthy and helped develop greater compassion. They also thought seeing other kids who actually struggled was a humbling experience and would teach me humility while private school was more likely to teach me arrogance.

My mother also didn't believe in school uniforms and the endless rules stating they destroyed the kids independence and creativity. I happen to actually agree with her here as I absolutely detest school uniforms.

My parents also thought we would be happier if they used the private school money to go on vacations.... I can't say I disagree.

It is however sadly common for parents to look into private schools, though most of them only consider it for secondary school (pass 6th grade). While I do agree it may be preferable once there (I have not given up on that public school: I have faith in it, but I have to admit it doesn't look to appealing right now), private school for elementary school?????? Really? 

My daughter is in kindergarten and I don't see why I should have pushed her through a series of tests just so she could get "chosen" by some snobbish school apparently SO superior to the one at the corner of the street. Not to mention the ridicule to sort 5 years old children at an age where their little brain has not even reach maturity: having a 5 years old recite the alphabet by heart does or be an ace at doing those preschoolers activity book (my daughter just colored the flowers and ignored the game) not guarantee future success in school, it is not how it works.

There are certain individuals who would look down on you for this, sadly yes. There are.

As Honorspren pointed out, those, with their super-enhanced curriculum, do not seem to understand these are little children who still want to play. 

For the rest, thank you for your kind words. Call it the mid-thirty crisis :ph34r:  There is a social pressure, when you are a woman, to break this stupid glass roof and rise up to upscale positions. Women like my former colleague are exactly what papers, shows and everything praise all over. She is the picture perfect of what society needs.

This being said, I would never want her life. I am just flustered it seems to be so desirable and I wish I knew more "normal women" as opposed to "careerist ones" who do their MBA while nursing their 3rd child.

The only private school I attended was in kindergarten. After that, I was homeschooled until seventh grade (I was twelve when I started public school, for those outside the US). That's when I began going to one of two middle schools in my small Washington State town. All throughout middle school and high school, until the day I graduated, the focus was on academics. "Why aren't your grades better?" my parents would ask. "Why aren't you more concerned about this B? If only we'd put you in a private school, this wouldn't be an issue. They push students to their potential, and you're not getting that in public school. Oh, and the other kids you have to attend with! I wish you didn't have to see them every day…." 

I wish they'd seen school the way you do. 

I wish they'd seen friendship as holding equal value to academics. 

I wish they'd seen public school as a place to socialize with people outside my social strata, to develop compassion and empathy, not to feed my elitism. 

I wish they'd seen creativity as something to foster, not something to squelch until it made them look good. 

I wish my parents had had your outlook on education. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

WHAT. I had only just started season 8 . . . :(

Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep. . . .

You can submit suggestions to them as well. If there's something you want that isn't on the site, you can chat them in the Help Center to suggest it, and they'll submit that suggestion. If they get enough suggestions for the same movie/tv show, they'll try harder to get a contract for it because they know people want it. I'm not sure why they didn't renew the contract for Doctor Who, but I went on there last night and suggested it to them. First time I did that, even though I've been thinking about it for a while (mostly in regards to Studio Ghibli, since those are only available via DVD). Doctor Who made me desperate. :P

So, after getting the job offer earlier today, my mom's immediate reaction was to assume that the library was actually a closet sex trafficking scheme. No, I'm not kidding. She didn't even let up on that until my brother did some research and proved everything was on the up-and-up. She went back to Spokane earlier today to look at housing, and before I went to work and she went to the airport, I told her to have a nice trip. 

"Be sure you do this, this, and this, because we're on a very narrow timeframe here, and you need to be proactive," she said in reply. 

Around six, I decided to be proactive and announced over a text to the family that I was going to put in my two week's notice tomorrow. It seemed like a good way to do it; since it would give me time to get everything in order and give my current job time to train a replacement. "Wait before you do that," my dad said. "I think we need to discuss this first, since there's a lot of moving pieces all of a sudden. We want to do this as a family, as much as we can."  

Just a few minutes ago—as I was getting ready to wind down for the night, at what she knew was 10:15 Arizona time—she called with more unsolicited advice. Get an offer letter. Do that before you put in your notice. She put my dad on the phone and he had advice for me, plus the news that they'll be calling with more advice whether I want it or not. Apparently, the way Louisiana does things is different from the ways they've seen, and so they're worried—which is sweet, don't get me wrong, but I wish they'd take my schedule into account before calling with every thought they have! 

And yeah, I'm still annoyed that when I decide to be proactive—like my mom was telling me to be—my dad snatches that away from me and says, "Noooooo, we're going to do this as a family." <_< 

So, after getting the job offer earlier today, my mom's immediate reaction was to assume that the library was actually a closet sex trafficking scheme. No, I'm not kidding. She didn't even let up on that until my brother did some research and proved everything was on the up-and-up. She went back to Spokane earlier today to look at housing, and before I went to work and she went to the airport, I told her to have a nice trip. 

"Be sure you do this, this, and this, because we're on a very narrow timeframe here, and you need to be proactive," she said in reply. 

Around six, I decided to be proactive and announced over a text to the family that I was going to put in my two week's notice tomorrow. It seemed like a good way to do it; since it would give me time to get everything in order and give my current job time to train a replacement. "Wait before you do that," my dad said. "I think we need to discuss this first, since there's a lot of moving pieces all of a sudden. We want to do this as a family, as much as we can."  

Just a few minutes ago—as I was getting ready to wind down for the night, at what she knew was 10:15 Arizona time—she called with more unsolicited advice. Get an offer letter. Do that before you put in your notice. She put my dad on the phone and he had advice for me, plus the news that they'll be calling with more advice whether I want it or not. Apparently, the way Louisiana does things is different from the ways they've seen, and so they're worried—which is sweet, don't get me wrong, but I wish they'd take my schedule into account before calling with every thought they have! 

And yeah, I'm still annoyed that when I decide to be proactive—like my mom was telling me to be—my dad snatches that away from me and says, "Noooooo, we're going to do this as a family." <_<

You are out soon. Just a little longer. Soon they wont be able to do this anymore, soon you can just hang up on them. You managed to take 26 years of them, you can handle a couple weeks more.

You are out soon. Just a little longer. Soon they wont be able to do this anymore, soon you can just hang up on them. You managed to take 26 years of them, you can handle a couple weeks more.

I've been listening to this song a lot lately: 

And I keep telling myself, "I'm almost there. Almost there. Almost there." 

You can submit suggestions to them as well. If there's something you want that isn't on the site, you can chat them in the Help Center to suggest it, and they'll submit that suggestion. If they get enough suggestions for the same movie/tv show, they'll try harder to get a contract for it because they know people want it. I'm not sure why they didn't renew the contract for Doctor Who, but I went on there last night and suggested it to them. First time I did that, even though I've been thinking about it for a while (mostly in regards to Studio Ghibli, since those are only available via DVD). Doctor Who made me desperate. :P

Apparently it's because BBC wants to make their own streaming service, and they can't do that without their most popular shows, can they? :rolleyes:

I'm not too torn up about it because I already had to go through this last year when Amazon Prime lost Doctor Who with no warning. My brother had literally just seen The End of Time part 2 and couldn't see the Eleventh Hour for a month or two. Luckily, my library gets the DVDs.

On the parents front, we had a Year 11 information evening tonight. The advice is sound, and I generally try to listen to it. The only flaw is that my parents came along.

My parents have a tendency to take just the bits that fit their arguments out of the speech (either the bits that make students a.k.a. me look bad or the bits that sound like the came out of a prison scheme) and throw out the rest. So, if she references her part of the speech and expects me to accept it because it came 'from a person who's been doing this for years' (despite the fact that she didn't mean what my parents seem to think she meant.) Then, if I reference a different part of the same speech suddenly it's silly. "Real life doesn't work like that" is a particular favourite.

Yeah, I get it Mum. But, the whole 'emulating real/adult life thing' is only used when I make a suggestion. If one of her arguments has the same flaw, suddenly it's "Tough. We bring the money into this household. You could show a bit of respect."

Re. Doctor Who: Libraries and TV reruns are always valid options. At the end of the day, if you really can't find one of those options, there's always torrents...

Edited by The Young Bard