Random Stuff II

Wise words from Mr. Rushdie. Case in point: this article that just showed up on my newsfeed. While I get what she's saying—if we take "be true to yourself" too far, we can harm ourselves or others—it doesn't change the fact that she nearly picked a fight with someone she didn't even know because she thought the band on his T-shirt "looked creepy."

Also, she's completely missing the point of the "be true to yourself" argument. There is a harmful extreme to avoid, but 99.99 percent of those who say it don't mean "Go out and become a serial killer, if that's what your heart is telling you!" They actually mean "Stand firm in your beliefs, even when others disagree. Don't try to be someone else; be yourself. Learn what you love and pursue it."

Here's the link. The rebuttal she didn't post called attention to the fact that taking the conversation with that teenage boy online wasn't the right thing to do because it deprived him of a chance to defend his side, turning the dialogue into a monologue.

Posted a rebuttal on that "The Danger of Telling Kids to be True to Themselves" article. First comment was published; the second one was not.

You are so confident in your position, blogger. <_<

What's your position on it? Have you said elsewhere? Or would you mind telling me?

Not trying to be offensive here, I just want to hear both sides. :)

Edit: oops. There it is. Hooray for observant me!

Edited by Slowswift

What's your position on it? Have you said elsewhere? Or would you mind telling me?

Not trying to be offensive here, I just want to hear both sides. :)

My position is that she took "be true to yourself" to the worst, most ridiculous extreme possible. The rebuttal that wasn't posted called her out for "taking the conversation online," because it turned the dialogue into a monologue and deprived the teenage boy of a chance to defend his position.

(This is NOT a reflection of my mood or anything. It's just a strange thing I think about sometimes.)

Does anyone ever wonder what things would be like if they weren't born?

Not usually, but that's just because the thought usually occurs to me on really bad days. :unsure: 

I found this and can't stop laughing. 

4.-Les-Mis.jpg

So many things to post, so little time.

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to be blind? Not just getting injured, and not ever being able to see again, but to be born blind? Would you even have a concept of color?

Laughing inside during my Sunday school class, because we were discussing staying away from all the bad things in high school, and the worst it gets at my homeschool co-op is being offered caffeinated soda. :lol:

Question on Doctor Who: Would I be a horrible fan if I skipped the two "Silence in the Library" episodes, and just read the synopsis on the wiki? I get scared really easily, as in, I actually got scared when the YCLs at Girls Camp, went around telling Clickshaw. <_<

Question on Doctor Who: Would I be a horrible fan if I skipped the two "Silence in the Library" episodes, and just read the synopsis on the wiki? I get scared really easily, as in, I actually got scared when the YCLs at Girls Camp, went around telling Clickshaw. <_<

If you did, you'd be missing out on really great episodes...and besides...life's no fun without a good scare :P  :lol:  B)

If you did, you'd be missing out on really great episodes...and besides...life's no fun without a good scare :P  :lol:  B)

Quoted for the Nightmare Before Christmas reference. :ph34r: 

"Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead" are indeed two of the more frightening Who stories, but they're also among the best. Together, they tell a perfectly contained story—with all the twists, mysteries, and feels anyone could want—that sets up the ongoing mysteries of Moffatt's tenure and introduces one of my (and the fandom's) favorite characters: River Song. Will it scare you? I'm sure it will. Are the scares worth it? Absolutely.

For me, it wasn't so much as scary as it was just chilling, like ice cold water down the spine. River <3

It didn't give me nightmares, but it did creep me out. Tell you the truth, there haven't been a lot of episodes that really made it hard for me to sleep at night—except "The Girl in the Fireplace." Great Noodly One, was that freaky. :blink: 

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to be blind? Not just getting injured, and not ever being able to see again, but to be born blind? Would you even have a concept of color?

Laughing inside during my Sunday school class, because we were discussing staying away from all the bad things in high school, and the worst it gets at my homeschool co-op is being offered caffeinated soda. :lol:

I was watching a really creepy Psych episode called Heeeere's Lassie and I left halfway through. I don't watch horror movies or scary stuff in general so it greatly freaked my out.  :unsure:

I agree with those before me. I'm like you- I get frightened pretty easily by stuff. It's kinda funny, because I'm pretty cool with things in real life, but onscreen? Nope. Still, Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead are two of my favorite episodes. Doctor character development? Check. Interesting, new monster? Check. Interesting concept? Check. Giant, planet-sized library? Check! Still some funny moments? Check.

Watch it, you won't regret it. It's creepy, but in a good way.

Edited by Mistrunner

I went to an event called Summit with my Venture Crew this weekend. It was wonderful. We won human foosball, undefeated, did a sing-a-long and went to a dance. I even danced a little, which is an accomplishment for me. It was so full of social activity that I need a day to recharge, though, and since tomorrow is Monday, it won't happen.

Oh, hey, I got an email from the "Danger of Believing in Themselves" blogger, responding to my pointing out that she didn't publish my last comment, but published those who agreed with the post. Apparently my comment was too "off topic." Oh, and she made sure to stress that she had a "good relationship" with the kid whose T-shirt inspired her original post.

Filing under "Completely Missed the Point." <_<

I didn't even know that you could apply henna to hair. How does that work, exactly?

Sorry it's taken so long to respond to this; I was out all day at Pagan Pride Day. :)

The answer: rather messily.  You mix it up more or less the same as you would for body art, but a greater amount.  Mix the dried henna powder with an acidic liquid - some people use tea, I prefer lemon juice diluted with a bit of water - to the approximate consistency of very wet, spoogy mud.  Then you need to let it sit overnight (about 12-18 hours is the best window at room temperature).  Wet your hair.   This is important if you don't want to have massive tangles later, as the henna mud is pretty thick.  Depending on how long the hair is, divide it up into sections.  Put on gloves, apply liberally, wrap it in plastic wrap (I like Press-N-Seal best), and then wrap a towel around that.  Holding in warmth will help the color release faster.

I usually leave it in for about three hours.  After that, hop in the shower, and rinse, rinse, rinse.  Go ahead and shampoo and condition as well, and just make sure you get all the mud out.  It won't stain porcelain or synthetic fabrics, so most baths/showers/curtains should be fine.

At first, it will look very, very orange.  It needs a couple of days to oxidize and darken.  What color it turns out depends on the color you start with; for my naturally strawberry blonde (heavy on the strawberry) hair, it comes out a brilliant and very natural-looking shade of red.  True blondes will be a lighter red, light brunettes will be auburn, and dark brown to black hair will pick up reddish highlights.  It won't ever make hair lighter, but the red you get does not fade.  Chemical reds start to go at about 4 weeks in, but henna is forever.

And literally forever, too; it actually seals off the hair shaft, which then resists taking any chemical colorants.  The only way to get henna out (without destroying your hair with bleaching, which may not even work) is to let it grow out.

(This is NOT a reflection of my mood or anything. It's just a strange thing I think about sometimes.)

I shudder for the sadness of that alternate universe that has not been exposed to the awesomeness that is me.

Do not cheat yourself out of the first appearance of River Song.  The creepy is worth it.

...I actually think I need to go back and watch it now, with the new perspective of knowing everything that she's been through leading up to that episode.

So many cookies would be left uneaten. Someone else would've gone to the county spelling bee in 7th grade. And the world wouldn't be dealing with my geeky fangirliness whenever a new picture of Pluto is produced.

Seriously, though, I do that too.

In the end 2 of my (4) players didn't make it to the session. :( They were, incidentally 7 the two most powerful fighters too. It required a bit of emergency replanning but it did work out reasonably well.

Edit: And I didn't kill anyone's character. Seriously injure perhaps, but not kill ;)

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord