Random Stuff II

So I've been browsing some internet, and found this wikipedia page about Pledge of Allegiance. From what I remember I saw some movies where US kids were pledging something to their flags etc. in schools, but I thought it was something that was going on long time ago. Do you still do it? You start your day with this? If yes, then to me, that is one of the weirdest thing about US, next to the amount of obese people on electric scooters (are these kind of people even present in any other country?)...

I just feel that if they compel an oath from me and expect me to follow it they are somewhat mistaken. I'll follow my morals thank you very much. Also, this:

In re to the Pledge of Allegiance: I see both sides of the issue, but I come down on the you should say it side. I don't think you should be forced to say it, but I think it is good. Speaking for myself here, it's easy to forget as someone born into citizenship how much is attached to it. Interestingly enough, people who immigrate here have to work for their citizenship. They desire it. They have to pass a test. As a born citizen, I and many of my fellow Americans never have to do anything like it. I think that many of us lose perspective on the incredible benefits that come from being a citizen of the U.S.A., because we have lived in them for quite a while. Also, when we Pledge, we aren't Pledging Allegiance to the corrupt, inflated bureaucracy. We're Pledging to the ideal of that America should be, the best parts of it. The idea of a democratic republic, with elected officials and a justice system. We aren't Pledging Allegiance to the government, we are Pledging Allegiance to the republic of people, the ethos of America. Also, it ain't legally binding. :P I've never felt like I was doing my conscience a dishonor by Pledging.

Re: Introversion

As an extremely strong extrovert (one of the few here, I think), it's hard for me to understand this. Are there people that you are comfortable speaking and interacting with for long periods of time? In other words, what is it that causes you to retreat? Loudness? Large groups of people? Certain groups of people? Basically, I'm that guy who gets more and more amped up the more people there are. I've tried to analyze it a bit, and I've noticed that there is a definite change in my mental activity before and after a social setting. I might walk into a social setting bored out of my mind, but afterwards, walking back to the car, I might start spontaneously singing. :P

In re to the Pledge of Allegiance: I see both sides of the issue, but I come down on the you should say it side. I don't think you should be forced to say it, but I think it is good. Speaking for myself here, it's easy to forget as someone born into citizenship how much is attached to it. Interestingly enough, people who immigrate here have to work for their citizenship. They desire it. They have to pass a test. As a born citizen, I and many of my fellow Americans never have to do anything like it. I think that many of us lose perspective on the incredible benefits that come from being a citizen of the U.S.A., because we have lived in them for quite a while. Also, when we Pledge, we aren't Pledging Allegiance to the corrupt, inflated bureaucracy. We're Pledging to the ideal of that America should be, the best parts of it. The idea of a democratic republic, with elected officials and a justice system. We aren't Pledging Allegiance to the government, we are Pledging Allegiance to the republic of people, the ethos of America. Also, it ain't legally binding. :P I've never felt like I was doing my conscience a dishonor by Pledging.

As an extremely strong extrovert (one of the few here, I think), it's hard for me to understand this. Are there people that you are comfortable speaking and interacting with for long periods of time? In other words, what is it that causes you to retreat? Loudness? Large groups of people? Certain groups of people? Basically, I'm that guy who gets more and more amped up the more people there are. I've tried to analyze it a bit, and I've noticed that there is a definite change in my mental activity before and after a social setting. I might walk into a social setting bored out of my mind, but afterwards, walking back to the car, I might start spontaneously singing. :P

Well, lets see.... I can function pretty normally in a social setting if I know exactly what I'm doing, but if I don't, it gets very awkward very fast. It's also very draining, so even though I don't feel it in the moment, about 5-10 minutes after leaving, my mind just crashes.

For an introvert this is the exact opposite. Being social takes energy, it doesnt give. A social gathering will end up being something like going out running, sure, the exercise can feel good, but when you get home you are just tired and want to read a good book.

Going with this analogy being in the middle of the room surrounded by everyone in 3 conversations at the same time will be the social equivalent to running three marathons, wearing high heels made out of lead while carrying a noisy three year old on your back.

Think of an introvert's energy like a plate of brownies. The introvert makes those brownies by themself, and although brownies are delicious, they don't want to eat them alone. Social interactions are where they share the brownies. When they're sharing them with people they like and know well, they already know that their brownies are liked, so they're consumed at a more relaxed pace. With people they don't know, they're liable to be nervous, and nibble a few brownies to make sure they taste okay, so the brownies disappear faster. The same is true in large groups: more people are there to eat the brownies, so they disappear faster.

In any case, there are a finite number of brownies. They might disappear quickly or slowly, but all social interaction causes brownies to disappear. And that's fine. Brownies were made to be shared. But at some point, the brownies are just gone and the introvert has no more to give. The best thing their extroverted friends can do for them at that point is leave them alone long enough to make more brownies.

Which one? Also, top four brony reviewers.

It was joshscorcher.

The following list is subject to change, but overall my top 4 favorites are:

1) Silver Quill

2) joshscorcher (both his live action ones and "Taking Too Seriously")

3) Does DrWolf count? I haven't seen many other reviewers besides the first two, and I don't even know if he reviews much at all. But I think he's cool.

4) AntonyC. He's got like two reviews but I about died of laughter during one and I love his style.

Well said!

Anyways, I am just not really fond of how rowdy it gets with my cousin and sister in the room. Argh. But if I've sufficiently prepared, I love talking to people. Mostly you can't just say "HERE IS MANY PEOPLES INTERACT" or surprise me. But usually I'm good in groups, if rather socially awkward.

For an introvert this is the exact opposite. Being social takes energy, it doesnt give. A social gathering will end up being something like going out running, sure, the exercise can feel good, but when you get home you are just tired and want to read a good book.

Going with this analogy being in the middle of the room surrounded by everyone in 3 conversations at the same time will be the social equivalent to running three marathons, wearing high heels made out of lead while carrying a noisy three year old on your back.

Uh huh. So that's why my parents don't like me to go to events and dances and things. I'm the only E in a family of very strong I's, so when I mention some event - say, a dance - I just get these blank stares, like "Why would you even consider that?" They'll even say stuff like, "It'll just tire you out, you have no reason to go." And it drives me nuts. I can't even explain why I want/need to go. Just because there's people! I go crazy stuck in a house with the same five people all the time! It's that I don't love my family, I just need time with other people!

Well that was rambling...

Uh huh. So that's why my parents don't like me to go to events and dances and things. I'm the only E in a family of very strong I's, so when I mention some event - say, a dance - I just get these blank stares, like "Why would you even consider that?" They'll even say stuff like, "It'll just tire you out, you have no reason to go." And it drives me nuts. I can't even explain why I want/need to go. Just because there's people! I go crazy stuck in a house with the same five people all the time! It's that I don't love my family, I just need time with other people!

Well that was rambling...

That is pretty much the explanation. They dont hear "Im going out to have fun" they hear "Im going to fight my way through a dungeon filled with death traps".

Think of an introvert's energy like a plate of brownies. The introvert makes those brownies by themself, and although brownies are delicious, they don't want to eat them alone. Social interactions are where they share the brownies. When they're sharing them with people they like and know well, they already know that their brownies are liked, so they're consumed at a more relaxed pace. With people they don't know, they're liable to be nervous, and nibble a few brownies to make sure they taste okay, so the brownies disappear faster. The same is true in large groups: more people are there to eat the brownies, so they disappear faster.

In any case, there are a finite number of brownies. They might disappear quickly or slowly, but all social interaction causes brownies to disappear. And that's fine. Brownies were made to be shared. But at some point, the brownies are just gone and the introvert has no more to give. The best thing their extroverted friends can do for them at that point is leave them alone long enough to make more brownies.

And I thought my analogy was great...

Anyway, bottom line is that extroverts cant bake.

It was joshscorcher.

The following list is subject to change, but overall my top 4 favorites are:

1) Silver Quill

2) joshscorcher (both his live action ones and "Taking Too Seriously")

3) Does DrWolf count? I haven't seen many other reviewers besides the first two, and I don't even know if he reviews much at all. But I think he's cool.

4) AntonyC. He's got like two reviews but I about died of laughter during one and I love his style.

Silver Quill

joshscorcher

Jerry Peet

Voice of Reason.

Others have already given a pretty good explanation of what it's like. But in case this analogy helps:

It can feel a bit like you've been working for 9 hours but are keeping going anyway. You may really enjoy your job but as time goes on you just get really tired and, however enjoyable it may have been to start with, it is becoming progressively less so.

I find personally that how well I know the people, the number of people present, loudness and the type of activity have a major impact on how quickly my social energy drains.

The "ideal" circumstance for me would be relaxing and playing games with 2 or 3 of my absolute best friends. In that situation I can happily continue for perhaps 12 hours or so, but soon enough I'll be quite happy to just sit by myself somewhere and read/watch/play something alone. The moment you have more than 4 other people around the rate at which my energy drains drastically increases.

Edit: I also have fairly strong social anxiety which ramps up under the same circumstances so social occasions are also difficult to begin with.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

...And now i want brownies....like really badly......and I'm on a sugar detox <_<  thanks Twi, I'm hungry >.<

There's a wasp now under my bed

My brother and I tried to flush it out with canned air and he accidentally grabbed glass cleaner air which could be toxic

I'm now probably sitting in harmful fumes.

I'm generally a good person. I don't know what I did to deserve this.

A lot of other folks have answered most of this pretty well.  For some people, the introversion is more pronounced than others.  For example, I may have to expend 2 spoons of energy to go to a party.  My husband, on the other hand, will expend 4-5 spoons' worth for the same shindig.  So some of us hold up better than others.

Interestingly, he and I are both far enough on the introversion scale that we sort of cancel each other out when it's just the two of us.  We're both perfectly comfortable sitting in silence with each other doing our own thing, and thus can be together without making social demands on each other.

I guess I'm the world's most extroverted introvert, then. :P

There is such a thing as an ambivert.  Some people just settle into the middle of the scale, and are pretty comfortable alone or with people.

There's a wasp now under my bed

My brother and I tried to flush it out with canned air and he accidentally grabbed glass cleaner air which could be toxic

I'm now probably sitting in harmful fumes.

I'm generally a good person. I don't know what I did to deserve this.

A spray bottle of soapy water will kill it without harmful fumes or putting you too close into harm's way.

There is such a thing as an ambivert. Some people just settle into the middle of the scale, and are pretty comfortable alone or with people.

One of my sisters is an ambivert. She likes going out with her friends, and feels more energized than drained after a party, but she still needs time alone to recharge. And how much recharging time is needed depends on who she spends time with. If she's with her friends, she can keep going for a while; with family we only see on holidays, she has a time limit before she needs to run upstairs to read a book. It seems that some people actually help her recharge, while others take her energy.

One of my sisters is an ambivert. She likes going out with her friends, and feels more energized than drained after a party, but she still needs time alone to recharge. And how much recharging time is needed depends on who she spends time with. If she's with her friends, she can keep going for a while; with family we only see on holidays, she has a time limit before she needs to run upstairs to read a book. It seems that some people actually help her recharge, while others take her energy.

^^quoted for truth. I am also an ambivert, slightly leaning introvert.

Edited by mail-mi

Kobold: so your loyalty is to yourself and your conscience - and then your family? Community? How far does it go till it becomes 'nation' which you don't pledge allegiance to?

Poor phrasing on my part. Sorry. :unsure: My personal loyalty is to people I have personal cause to care for. The family members I've loved since infancy, friends I've met since then, etc. My conscience and religion also guides me towards (attempting to) care for strangers with the same love and devotion that I'd treat my closest family member.

Bottom line is, I care for people, not organizations. I can love Americans even while thinking America itself is a lousy crem-pit. Anything else, like waving a flag or reciting an oath of obedience, strikes me as way too similar to chimps in the rainforest beating branches and hooting for the glory of their troop. Love is an important ethical virtue. Patriotism is just a way of harnessing love to further a group of hierarchial primates' agenda.

Oh, Swimmingly. You had no idea...

edit : wrong attachment

Oh Swimmingly, my Swimmingly. He was like a forum father to me. :(

^^quoted for truth. I am also an ambivert, slightly leaning introvert.

I can sort of...temporarily rewire myself for big events like conventions.  Like, instead of feeding off solitude, I can temporarily feed on geek energies.  I still kind of have con-crash afterwards, and it's better if I not get too squished into a tight crowd, but I'm never at any point in danger of turning into a dithering ball of overstimulated human.