You Know You're a Sanderfan When...

Shardbearer

Whenever I read a fantasy book and groan at the Godlike powers and generic character the protagonist has, and fail to be invested (see what I did there?) at all.....

Seriously, I really have trouble going back to that drivel these days........

Also, cosmere puns

Try Red Rising, it's a pretty good book

Back on topic:

When you're sitting through church on Easter, and you suddenly think that if RL were the cosmere, G-d and Satan would each be shards who counterbalance each other and Jesus would be the physical embodiment of the Cognitive aspect of G-d who was placed on earth so he could act without being countered by Satan. Then you go on to think that Satan must have "walled off" the cognitive realm around earth, trapping cognitive aspects from reaching the G-d beyond and leaving them aimless cognitive shadows who are subject to the intense pull of beyond but are unable to submit to it, and that when Jesus died the sudden transfer of G-d's investiture into the walled-off cognitive burst through the dam, resulting in the freeing of the cognitive shadows and return to heaven with the G-d beyond, and that because he was a cognitive aspect, Jesus was able to create another physical avatar through investiture, allowing him to return to life

NOTE: Sincere apologies to whom my post may offend, this is purely a hypothetical discussion, and as a Christian myself, is in no way intended to mock any religion

Try Red Rising, it's a pretty good book

I read that, and it was okay - a great book by regular standards. I liked parts were they were discussing the history of the solar system. I could kinda guess the plot, but until I discovered Sanderson's works I've always been able to do that.....

but once again back on topic:

When you must repress the urge to throw the nearest heavy object for talking about how the Hunger games/divergent/maze runner is/are the best book(s) ever written.

Isn't that just most people?

I was like that before I started reading Sanderson's books, so yes, you are correct.

To be fair, for 90% of people who read the hunger divergent runner trilogy, it is the best book ever, because It's the only book they've ever read.

I was like that before I started reading Sanderson's books, so yes, you are correct.

To be fair, for 90% of people who read the hunger divergent runner trilogy, it is the best book ever, because It's the only book they've ever read.

This made me crack up. Because it's so true. And at least in my case, Sanderson books trained me to foretell plots, basically Ruining most other books and movies I see.

This made me crack up. Because it's so true. And at least in my case, Sanderson books trained me to foretell plots, basically Ruining most other books and movies I see.

We should be careful, we're starting to derail the thread.

But with anything that isn't sanderson, you can predict the plot like this:

Step 1: Evaluate the situation, NOT the characters in said situation

Step 2: What emotion clouded choice does every 'hero' make? (do I save my girlfriend, or the world?) (side note: this is why I like Vin)

Step 3: Sigh in boredom.

OR, we have the edgy fantasy version

Step 1: How can we make our cast do the most graphic sexual acts physically possible.

Step 2: Alternatively, how can we kill off every character who can be considered a decent human being.

Off topic replies

I liked the (first) Hunger Games and Maze Runner books when I read them. And I had read a lot of books by then. I read HG years ago and I can't remember if MR was after I read Sanderson or not, but still. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's nonsense.

Step 1: How can we make our cast do the most graphic sexual acts physically possible.

Step 2: Alternatively, how can we kill off every character who can be considered a decent human being.

Just Song of Ice and Fire, or are there others?
Edited by Delightful

In-world hype. She's not actually that amazing of a person. She just made the right impression at the wrong time and people ran with it to get things done.

Divergent. That was plain weird.

Hated the flaws in the science aspect of it, too. If you have a population of any organism that share a common genetic disorder, inbreeding within those affected would only worsen the problem, not "cure them over time". Also, if the damaged traits were genetic, then in theory why would anyone choose to change factions in the first place? Both of their parents passed on the gene that gave the skewed outlook on life, so they should all belong to whichever "faction" their parents did. On top of that, it talked about how the factionless were largely divergent. I didn't really see why this is true, because just having unmarred DNA doesn't mean you're inept and unable to assimilate into a given society under the pressure of herd mentality

When you can't stand Hunger Games: Catching Fire, because their revolution is so far inferior to Kelsier's plan. Also, when you realise that religion is a necessity for successful revolution.

When all you can think of during Divergent is how easily a Coinshot could destroy everyone.

When you can't stand Hunger Games: Catching Fire, because their revolution is so far inferior to Kelsier's plan.

How, exactly? The Lord Ruler would have killed half of Luthadel without leaving his tower if it wasn't for the plots of things Kelsier never would have imagined to exist.

Because using someone with legitimate ability and achievements as your PR figure is probably a less cringeworthy plan than using the girl that went viral over a staged romantic drama and mourning for one single person in a tournament where all but one person is supposed to die, I guess.

She kinda wasn't even doing it on purpose either.

Because using someone with legitimate ability and achievements as your PR figure is probably a less cringeworthy plan than using the girl that went viral over a staged romantic drama and mourning for one single person in a tournament where all but one person is supposed to die, I guess.

Please, it is not like they actually had someone better to use for propaganda. If a Kelsier like figure had been born on Panem the rebellion would have a much easier time.

Having poorer material makes poorer results understandable, but the results are still worse.

But they had better results. Mostly because Snow was not a living god.

Personally I'm fine with the rest of the revolution, but the propaganda kinda involved a lot of coincidences.

TLR would have killed everyone if not for holy providence. Edited by DreamEternal

I'm talking about the propaganda here. The videos were cringeworthy at times.

The rest of the revolution, I felt it did pretty well as I said.

TLR was trying to save the world in the end, I'm sure he would've let the Inquisitors sort it out a bit less extremely if not for sudden assassination attempt + deus ex machina.

Also, having an invincible demigod as their enemy is no less there fault as it is Panem's fault for having nobody better to use.

Edited by natc

I'm talking about the propaganda here. The videos were cringeworthy at times.

The rest of the revolution, I felt it did pretty well as I said.

TLR was trying to save the world in the end, I'm sure he would've let the Inquisitors sort it out a bit less extremely if not for sudden assassination attempt + deus ex machina.

Also, having an invincible demigod as their enemy is no less there fault as it is Panem's fault for having nobody better to use.

I apologize for the downvote. This used to be at zero before my finger slipped on my tablet.

You know you're a Sanderfan when you ask your brother for advice on a story you're writing, and you get a feeling of disgust when he suggests that the story have more elements of traditional plots.

Once you go Sanderson, there's no tolerance for lesser quality. Even and especially for one's own writing.