Long Game (3)2: Pulling on Strings

LG32 Day Two: The Grand Challenge

“Do not kill me tonight! Do not convert me tomorrow. Instead, let’s have a good old fashioned battle of the wits!” 

It was the classic challenge. Butter the opponent up with some ‘duel’ terms, then slice and dice when their guard was down. Nothing like it, but all that was left was to write some RP for it. Should it be long and windy, or short and to the point? Pssh, as if I’m not going to write something long.

*linebreak*

What was Aman doing? He’s just standing there, mumbling to himself about this or that. Ah well, might as well make this short and to the point. But first, I need to find a pen…

Aman was in the middle of the street, unaware of his opponent. And he would stay unaware for the rest of his life. 

I took a coin, pushed it vaguely in his direction and watched him slowly die. Guess this is short.

Should I keep that in the RP? Maybe my character knows he’s in an RP, wouldn’t that be funny. Gah, it’s hard to RP killing Aman.

*linebreak*

I had died?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me? Well, at least I get to be in a dead doc with that really cool GM, Stink. 

*linebreak*

Hey all, Stink here. 100% STINK. Getting kinda lost at the POV myself, so here’s something else for ya.

*linebreak*

The sun was shining, as Phil went to the store. Was there a reason for going to the store? Of course there was, you mindless waffle. In fact, Phil wanted waffles. They’re always on his mind, after the incident. Was a tragic time that, though the terrible alliteration made it slightly better. 

Oh, another question? What’s the incident? Phil doesn’t know now does he? You’d have to ask the actual GM for that, my puppets. 

*linebreak*

Hi my name is LOST and i’m LOST. Help LOST find the LOST keys to escape! Don’t get LOST though! Don’t get LOST though! Don’t get LOST though! Don’t get LOST though! Don’t get LOST though!

Hi my name is LOST and i’m LOST. I’m REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY SAFE AND SOUND GO BACK TO SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING.

*linebreak*

………………………...Ignore this.

*linebreak*

Dear __________

Unfortunately, I am slightly occupied for now. Therefore, I cannot inform you the details of any events, but can talk about the events.

Yeah, that Aman guy has died.

A real shame that, they looked promising. Oh, and we have another letter for you!

Sincerely With Much Love,
The Fool

TIN MESSAGE:
I1welcome4new blood1thoughts,1
or old9blood thoughts1sharpening their knives4coming back1for1more
provided9the result
is more precision added
color or greater expressiveness aka fun

Most things you see in here are misdirection, fluff, and red herrings. ;)

Player List:
1. Arinian - Alrin
2. Hemalurgic Headshot - Quinn
3. Jondesu - Remart
4. Elenion - Roger Elariel
5. Drake Marshall - Serray
6. Darkness Ascendant - The Phantom Stranger
7. Randuir - Magister Agemtsar
8. Magestar - David Agemtsar
9. Herowannabe - Herwynbe
10. Yitzi2 - Garshin
11. Metacognition
12. Silverblade5 - Ryth
13: Arraenae - Rhea
14. TheMightyLopen - Sidon
15. little wilson - Willie Klara
16. Droughtbringer - You
17. Iamspartacus - Astrid the Bold
18. Ornstein - Winkleton
19. Araris Valerian - Wol
20. Dalinar Kholin - Lebochevkowski
21. OmeGaster - Rieyun
22. Kipper - Elenion
23. Sart - Gaetan - Regular Crewmember
24. Bugsy - Jelwynd
25. Figberts - Quond
26. Mark IV - The Follower
27. Manukos - Reval
28. Aonar Faileas - Vana Izenry
29. Ecthelion - Amnar
30. Amanuensis - Mykal - Village Smoker

Edited by Alvron

Well, rusts, Aman. You went and got yourself killed. Now what are we going to do?

:o

SEE what you did there. You're reserving time so you can finish up that LG30 write up,

*hint hint*

*nudge nudge*

*wink wink*.

Well, now we know that the Inquisitor is not a person of chivalry, doesn't like playing games, and does not trust Aman, for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, I don't know that it narrows the possibilities down to experienced vs newer players, as long as they understood Aman was a threat and didn't want to go for a battle of wits (there wasn't even any iocaine powder!). However, there could be a conversion tonight since Aman was a Smoker (he said he was a misting, so no surprise there). Is there anything that can block the Inquisitor's conversion ability, btw?

@Drake Marshall I don't get your post from last night. You say I randomly singled you out because your vote didn't end up counting, which was my situation. That's false.

I voted on you because you never voted in the first place, even though you had ample opportunity to. Why, then, did you say "There are loads of players whose votes didn't end up counting (yours included)"

I don't know about you guys, but it has never gone well in my experience for anyone making a deal with Aman. I'm not surprised at all that he is dead, although I am a bit surprised that he wasn't as thug or had some other way to survive the attack.

Also, I'll put my vote on Elenion for now.

First off, shame on anyone who didn't see this coming. :P Aman offered up a free, uninterrupted kill against a strong player that gives the village minimal information and the Inquisitor a guaranteed convert tonight. While doing otherwise might have cast a little suspicion on Aman, theres no real way to justify it as worth it. Pragmatism FTW. :P

Anyways, have fun. Go and discuss and things so I have more information to base suspcions on. :P

Well, if anyone has the time, maybe check everyone's online times to see who's been online after Aman posted his plan? It's possible the kill was sent in before he even put his challenge forward, but it might be worth it to check that. I'm going to try and do so myself, but I'm a little busy at the moment and might not get all of the times before I'll be offline for a couple hours.

Edit: Good news! Pretty much everyone is active! Which means I didn't really learn anything. :P Iamspartacus wasn't online during the Night at all, but other than them, only me, Drought, and Bugsy weren't online during the time after Aman challenged the Inquisitor and then the Night ended.

Praise the Ja.

Edited by TheMightyLopen

17 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Also, I'll put my vote on Elenion for now.

Might I ask why? I'm sure you have some good reason for this vote, and it would help the village if you share it.

Also, whoever wrote that tineye message is an evil genius. I'm probably going to waste way too much time trying to find a hidden message in it or something like that.

19 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Well, if anyone has the time, maybe check everyone's online times to see who's been online after Aman posted his plan? It's possible the kill was sent in before he even put his challenge forward, but it might be worth it to check that. I'm going to try and do so myself, but I'm a little busy at the moment and might not get all of the times before I'll be offline for a couple hours.

Edit: Good news! Pretty much everyone is active! Which means I didn't really learn anything. :P Iamspartacus wasn't online during the Night at all, but other than them, only me, Drought, and Bugsy weren't online during the time after Aman challenged the Inquisitor and then the Night ended.

Praise the Ja.

Would that sort of using-the-particular-medium even be allowed by the rules?

41 minutes ago, Ecthelion III said:

@Drake Marshall I don't get your post from last night. You say I randomly singled you out because your vote didn't end up counting, which was my situation. That's false.

I voted on you because you never voted in the first place, even though you had ample opportunity to. Why, then, did you say "There are loads of players whose votes didn't end up counting (yours included)"

I'm curious about this too, because Drake was very adamant about lynching. He made multiple posts about how we needed to have a lynch, but I found it strange that he never voted at all, despite so much pressure for everyone else to vote to lynch. Not that I find this suspicious. I just think it's indicative of Drake being the Rioter, but he vehemently denied that. So why didn't you vote, Drake?

I'm pretty sure Aman got taken out by the inquisitor, which means last cycle's vote manipulation wasn't the inquisitors work. That means we have at least 1 rioter and 1 soother. I suspect we have two soothers, given that it is unlikely someone would risk getting identified as a rioter this early in the game.

Edited by randuir

Herwynbe stood, brushing his hands together, and looked down at the shallow depression he had dug. It was a couple feet long and only about 2 or 3 inches deep. "There! Finished! Granted, it's not much of a latrine, but then, I didn't have a shovel to work with, nor am I one of the famous "Cesspit Renauds. Speaking of which, where did lady Renaud get off to?"

He found her a minute later, surrounded by a small crowd as they stood muttering over her bloody corpse.

"Aha!" Herwynbe exclaimed. "Marvelous! It seems the Inquisitor took her up on her challenge. Too bad she was no match for the creature, but then, nobody really expected that, did they?"

Herwynbe turned, noticing the message scratched on the wall. "Ahh, and I see that a Tineye has been at work, and in the style of the great Quintessial Tineye himself I see! He was my namesake, you know. Contemporary historians note that his wisdom and intelligence was unparalleled, rivaled only by his rugged handsomeness. They say that he single-handedly kept an entire crew baffled for days with his riddles. His writings are still considered masterworks to this day, and Obligators and Keepers alike still study his riddles, trying to unlock the deep mysteries hidden within. Master Termalon of the 8th century Post Ascension said that..."

Herwynbe droned on, though he stood by himself now. It seemed that the Terrisman could dispel a crowd even faster than a corpse could draw it. 

Going to go ahead and cast a vote for Mark IV for the reasons I listed last night. 

3 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Going to go ahead and cast a vote for Mark IV for the reasons I listed last night. 

Could you maybe repeat that reasoning? Looking back through the night-thread I can only find you mentioning a theory regarding a rather specific possible functioning of uber-brass, and a tenuous link with Mark IV. As I pointed out, however, the attack on Aman was most likely done by the inquisitor, and given that the elim only gets 1 standard action this would make his involvement in the vote manipulation incredibly unlikely.

16 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

Would that sort of using-the-particular-medium even be allowed by the rules?

Ising the being of okay. Ising the having of precedent in many games. The only thing that you really ising the needing of avoiding ising computerized encoders and decoders.

Take it easy comrades. I'm innocent, dangit.

What ising it with unsubstantiated votes/threats of votes falling on me? Last game wasing Bart, then before this game wasing Kipper, and now ising Araris. I'm fine with the ising of being of votes on me, but I would like an ising of being of reasoning, at least. @Araris Valerian

*scans over Night discussion* I don't think I was any more aggressive towards him than usual: I asked him a question (with a bit of a point), he responded, I believed him, and in later posts I suggested that the Rioter was a non-voting villager looking to prevent other vote manip. @Araris Valerian

16 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Ising the being of okay. Ising the having of precedent in many games. The only thing that you really ising the needing of avoiding ising computerized encoders and decoders.

Take it easy comrades. I'm innocent, dangit.

What ising it with unsubstantiated votes/threats of votes falling on me? Last game wasing Bart, then before this game wasing Kipper, and now ising Araris. I'm fine with the ising of being of votes on me, but I would like an ising of being of reasoning, at least. @Araris Valerian

Pls. Get over it. You still have a kill coming for you @Elenion. I haven't forgiven you.

As I've been saying in PMs, I don't think it was the Inquisitor who killed Aman. Unfortunately, Economics homework is calling me, and I'm too lazy to paraphrase my PM message at the moment. Will explain later.

3 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Well, I went to the trouble of explaining why I don't want to explain myself to others, and then you show up... I'm great at timing these things. It's because you were kind of aggressive towards Ecthelion last night.

As Garshin wandered away from the rambling Keeper (whom, he noticed, had not actually answered the question he'd been asked), he came across another argument.  "You know, your accusation of that strange watcher fellow actually was fairly suspicious, seeing as it made no sense whatsoever.  The way I see it, you're currently our number one candidate for the culprit.  And now that a Smoker is dead, we need to act, as the Inquisitor probably charged a Hemalurgic...oh right, Hemalurgy isn't well known in this age.  Suffice it to say that the Inquisitor is likely to have an ally soon, who will be a Smoker as well."

-----------------------

That's a vote for Elenion, though it is highly tentative and subject to change if someone suggests a more likely target.

2 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

There are a lot of people who were substantially more active than me last cycle, who did not submit votes. In the span of maybe five minutes you confidently conclude that somehow I was definitely the rioter, once you are asked if you rioted someone. You understand why I call you out perhaps?

I'm not necessarily saying you are the rioter... But it just seems very odd to pin this on me.

And anyway. You want to accuse me of not voting? Perhaps I can remedy that, Ecthelion. Lets see if this one counts.

ANYWAYS... Aman seems to have died. That's kind of lame to be honest. I mean, I understand why the inquisitor might not want to play Aman's game, but... Still.

Honestly, if I were inquisitor I probably woulda just killed someone other than the three people Aman listed. No reason to let the enemy dictate the options. Especially since he could have secretly arranged to actually have a lurcher protect him, which actually would have been a pretty good way to waste an eliminator kill.

But, anyway, Aman is dead. Sad. And I suppose that means the inquisitor has access to a conversion, which is... Unfortunate. Well, maybe it makes a more fun game, there being not just 1 elim. But it also makes the eliminators more powerful, hence it being unfortunate.

I bet I can do an RP post tonight.

And... Anything else to talk about? Nothing comes to mind. End post.

13 minutes ago, Dalinar Kholin said:

So, in my short and limited understanding of the current conflict. Considering Ecthellion is central to the current discussion (Aralis attacking Elenion in reference to Ecthellion), I will put a vote on Drake. 

I'm not quite sure how your vote follows from Ecthelion's centrality to the current discussion.

4 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

I'm not quite sure how your vote follows from Ecthelion's centrality to the current discussion.

To speak bluntly. Neither am I.

I mean, there's already good evidence to point to the fact that our rioter is a villager. So why on earth would I bother lying about that? And, if I were lying, maybe to protect myself against eliminators, wouldn't that already indicate that I'm village?

I mean, vote on me, I guess, but... Please just clarify, what are your actual reasons to be voting on me? God knows, there are likely solid reasons to think I'm suspicious, but I'm not seeing any of them.

Half of the votes this cycle have had maybe 1 sentence of vague reasoning behind them. I'm noticing Randuir is reliably asking people to elaborate when they do that, for which I applaud him.