The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

What’s stopping a single Inner Circle member from outing the whole elim team D1?

Since the Spies only need to assassinate the Inner Circle to win, this would not be advisable. (FYI - the Inner Circle is probably going to be smaller than the elim team, unless the number of players is unusually small).

14 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Since the Spies only need to assassinate the Inner Circle to win, this would not be advisable. (FYI - the Inner Circle is probably going to be smaller than the elim team, unless the number of players is unusually small).

Yeah, but if there’s more than one person in the Inner Circle (and since Winzik also knows there’s more than one who does anyway) a single person can out the team without losing themselves. 

Edited by Matrim's Dice

6 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Yeah, but if there’s more than one person in the Inner Circle (and since Winzik also knows there’s more than one who does) a single person can out the team without losing themselves. 

ohhhhh

thank you

i did not think of that

lemme see what I can do to fix it

Edit: It is fixed! here's the link to the doc again: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VFj2XbOHzXdxv-aFKQRGpb0fB_2iu7WYJy1zl4Qs_yw/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Szeth_Pancakes

56 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

ohhhhh

thank you

i did not think of that

lemme see what I can do to fix it

Edit: It is fixed! here's the link to the doc again: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VFj2XbOHzXdxv-aFKQRGpb0fB_2iu7WYJy1zl4Qs_yw/edit?usp=sharing

The only other thing is that the elims can easily narrow down the IC members by watching which votes double, so you might want to consider making the ability optional.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Horrible idea I just had

a game where you aren’t allowed to lie

the GMs know and see everything, if you say anything that isn’t true, at all, anywhere, you die.

how could this be made into a viable game?

could it even?

not a good game mind you, just a viable one. It’s a thought experiment, not a real proposal.

5 minutes ago, Danex said:

Horrible idea I just had

a game where you aren’t allowed to lie

the GMs know and see everything, if you say anything that isn’t true, at all, anywhere, you die.

how could this be made into a viable game?

could it even?

not a good game mind you, just a viable one. It’s a thought experiment, not a real proposal.

I mean 

“I am village” would break this pretty good :P. And putting restrictions on what you can/can’t say isn’t really fun.

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I am village” would break this pretty good

That’s the first thing I thought of

Solution: there is no village, different sort of faction game

or all factions are all ready known

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

And putting restrictions on what you can/can’t say isn’t really fun.

Well duh

obv not gonna actually run or play a game like this, just tryi to figure out how it could even happen

Edited by Danex

From what I vaguely remember, the KKC games have a mechanic where certain roles (or maybe everyone) can scan a specific post to see if the writer lied in it, which took up an action which made it more... usable?

Not sure what they did about "I am Village" posts, but making a specific exception for lying about Alignment doesn't really damage much.

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

From what I vaguely remember, the KKC games have a mechanic where certain roles (or maybe everyone) can scan a specific post to see if the writer lied in it, which took up an action which made it more... usable?

Yeah. Linguistic Analysis. I don't remember what the balances were but it's worth asking @Elbereth, @little wilson, or @Burnt Spaghetti - I remember at one point the Village was trying to get an Evil Burnt to make an alignment statement in the thread in order to scan her with Linguistic Analysis.

Not really certain roles, per se. You had to go into the Linguistic Analysis field, but anyone could do that as you're all students at the University, even if some of you are, apparently, ethically-challenged.

Edited by Kasimir

12 minutes ago, Danex said:

Idea: A QF with 12 hour cycles. A real time game. 

The RP possibilities increase so much. Whatever time it is irl is the time in game. 

I mean…that just depends on the timezone you’re in. You’d have some people awake during the night turn and asleep during the day turn. 

8 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I mean…that just depends on the timezone you’re in. You’d have some people awake during the night turn and asleep during the day turn. 

Only if some people are literally on the exact opposite side of the world

there’d be some discrepancies, but if we chose the right times, we could make sure people would be able to be on at the right times 

12 hour cycles are very hard on the people who fall out of line with it. Especially with our site meta of people getting on every so often and checking up, it wouldn't really work imo. usually they'd run something like 8am-8pm for the GM so that their sleep schedule isn't wack and they don't actually miss rollovers

Was honestly thinking of if a 12/12 would work for an idea I had tbh. Still also want to run a 36/12 :P.

4 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Yeah. Work, school, etcetera. Twelve hours is just going to be way too tight.

3 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

I would say that @Kasimir is an example of why this might not work, but he never goes to sleep, so he wouldn't cause any issues.

Justice never sleeps :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Something that has been brought up in a few different places is the amount that the village depends on alignment scans rather than doing analysis to solve the game. So I thought of an idea for a pseudo alignment scan to kick things off in a game where the GM is worried the village might struggle. Basically, around Cycle 3-4 roughly, if no elims have yet been caught, the elim team has to choose one of their members to be revealed as an elim and removed from the game. However, unlike a regular death, that player does not get access to the dead doc, and is still able to participate in the elim doc.

I think this might work well as a core mechanic in a QF or MR with 15+ players.