Unpopular Rhythm of War opinions

Frustration

On 2/8/2021 at 11:17 AM, Shob the Voidbringer said:

2. i am a fan of navani bonding the sibling, because others wouldn't fit a scholarly spren, and she can adjust her fabrials, and learn more with help from the sibling. but dabbid still needs a spren

I definitely agree with this. I was hoping Rlain wouldn't bond the Sibling since it was brought up. The Sibling basically only was willing to because of immutable characteristics. Which would have felt awful for Rlain after him talking about wanting to have a spren bond him because it wants HIM. The whole Sibling being willing to bond Rlain felt like a different beat on the whole Kaladin ordering that honorspren to consider him. "Please consider our token Listener." 

I also didn't want Dabbid to bond with the Sibling either considering how he was extorted by them. It is my sincere hope that an honorspren decides to bond him. 

Anyways, Navani bonding the Sibling is great. They both have their faults, they both have their conflicting beliefs, yet they both mesh together. It was truly enjoyable to see the Sibling get all excited over Navani understanding the fabrials they made of themself.

Edited by Knight Oblivion

1. Navani and her POVs were my favorite part of the book. The mechanics of magic systems are one of my favorite aspects of the cosmere, so no surprise there.
  2. Shallan's disorder made her chapters harder to read in Oathbringer and it got worse in this book. 
  3. The scene with Ruthar felt forced and uncomfortable.
  4. Somewhat upset by the fact that the book titled "Rhythm of War" didn't have much war in it. The glimpses we got were really cool. 

4 hours ago, ScadrianTank said:
  1. Navani and her POVs were my favorite part of the book. The mechanics of magic systems are one of my favorite aspects of the cosmere, so no surprise there.
  2. Shallan's disorder made her chapters harder to read in Oathbringer and it got worse in this book. 
  3. The scene with Ruthar felt forced and uncomfortable.
  4. Somewhat upset by the fact that the book titled "Rhythm of War" didn't have much war in it. The glimpses we got were really cool. 

With #2, do you mean harder to read because of the constant swapping between personalities, or because her POV chapters were so incredibly cringe-worthy? 

I really don't like the Kaladin establishing a mental health system angle of RoW. It all seems a bit too pat, a bit too schlocky. 

The war of Loss, where the Hierocracy was defeated by Sadees the Sunmaker and the Vorin church was disbanded, and the modern Roshar ardentia was established, happened in 675. I find it hard to believe that in the the 500 years since the formation of the devotaries,  that the only proscribed treatment the ardents could come up with for people with suicidal ideations was to lock them up in windowless cells away from other people.

We are quite clearly led to believe that Kaladin's sympathetic situation (he experienced the same thing, ergo he's an expert) and his training as a surgeon makes him uniquely qualified to unlock the mystery that depression and the resultant suicidal tendencies of the depressed aren't ameliorated by forced isolation and confinement in darkened cells. The whole plot line felt like a curated, proscribed emotional journey and was the opposite of powerful for me. It felt forced and hokey, that Kaladin was the one that figured this out and was the one making a large institutional change. 

Not content to be Stormblessed the Hero, and the father of Clinical Psychiatry, I forsee our boy Kal inventing penicillin, figuring out how to do soulcast organ transplants, and solving the ecological disaster that is brewing from the wholesale slaughter of Chasmfiends and the Everstorm blowing the wrong way. Why not. 

2 hours ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Not content to be Stormblessed the Hero, and the father of Clinical Psychiatry, I forsee our boy Kal inventing penicillin, figuring out how to do soulcast organ transplants, and solving the ecological disaster that is brewing from the wholesale slaughter of Chasmfiends and the Everstorm blowing the wrong way. Why not. 

[Generally, this all.]

Don't forget he'll be the first one to be a dual-order Radiant.

But then, I have literally zero opinions on Kaladin that are not controversial, so..

6 hours ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

The war of Loss, where the Hierocracy was defeated by Sadees the Sunmaker and the Vorin church was disbanded, and the modern Roshar ardentia was established, happened in 675. I find it hard to believe that in the the 500 years since the formation of the devotaries,  that the only proscribed treatment the ardents could come up with for people with suicidal ideations was to lock them up in windowless cells away from other people.

It's what we did, for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

I sort of wish it would have gone into more detail why the heck Jasnah and Hoid are dating. I feel like it’s pointless unless there is more to it. 

And, I wasn’t a huge fan of the Venli and Eshoni flashbacks. 

I also like how Brandon made Kaladin’s depression a real problem. It can inspire people to keep running (like the story of Fleet) considering  Kaladin being my favorite character and all, I feel like I should have been disappointed, but I feel like it added more internal conflict to the story and made it a little more intense. 

Edited by HaileyTheMistborn

18 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

I'm still not convinced Thaidakar is Kelsier.

If the previous heavy implications weren't enough, how about a confirmation?

Weiry Writer

Kelsier and Thaidakar: at what point did you decide Kelsier would be part of The Stormlight Archive?

Brandon Sanderson

<sarcasm>Kelsier isn't, Thaidakar isn't even; his minions are!</sarcasm> Pretty early on, there's a whole lot of Kelsier in Era 3 and as soon as I decided that when I outlined the original nine books as I was working on the original Mistborn trilogy I knew that there needed to be some more of him influencing the world/universe at large.

[whooooole lot else I'm cutting out for brevity's sake]

Shardcast Interview (Jan. 23, 2021)

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

I'm still not convinced Thaidakar is Kelsier.

My understanding is that it's not Him-him, but like an avatar he can use that can move around the Cosmere. 

So if you killed Thaidakar, Kelsier would be pissed off back on Scadrial. 

And who wants to beat Hemalurgy is involved? 

4 hours ago, Orlionra said:

My understanding is that it's not Him-him, but like an avatar he can use that can move around the Cosmere. 

So if you killed Thaidakar, Kelsier would be pissed off back on Scadrial. 

And who wants to beat Hemalurgy is involved? 

Nah, that's just Kel making crem up.

FeatherWriter

I have to ask about using the word "avatar" for Thaidakar sending avatars... does Kelsier actually have anything resembling a real avatar or is he just using the word and lying through his teeth?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh yeah, he's mostly lying through his teeth. Basically — this is not canon, because I might come up with a better [idea] - but in my head, I have him with a large cloak with a Seon on top indicating his face [hosts laugh] It was something along those lines. He wants them to think that he is capable of getting to Roshar in a meaningful, physical way.

Spoiler! he can't get off Scadrial, and it's really annoying to him. At least by this point in the continuity, in fact a little past it, because the Wax & Wayne books [...] Let's just say he's perturbed.

Shardcast Interview (Jan. 23, 2021)

• 4 weeks later...

(not super unpopular opinion)

I thought Jasnah was going the right direction. Free every slave? Yeah, go for it! 

But then Dalinar had to be like "Oh no no no no no Jasnah, you can't free every slave!!! It would cause social unrest and ruin the economy!!"

Me: "Like that hasn't happened already. The singers already revolted, (for good reason, they were treated like animals.) and last I checked, you wanted Jasnah to stand up to all of the highprinces and lighteyes. That means you too."

Dalinar just is so accustomed to getting his way he is kinda surprised if someone denies him. 

Also, I really liked Navini and the Sibling’s bond. It provides a problem (Navini makes fabrials which the Sibling doesn’t like) which wouldn’t have occurred if Rlain was the Bondsmith. I also actually like that Rlain got a corrupted spren. What could be better for him than a spren that really chose and wanted him, and Renarin, who may be one of his closest friends at this point, to not be alone anymore?? I personally thought that worked out very well.

Edited by rosharian_cat
Added some stuff

10 hours ago, Frustration said:

Apparently this is unpopular but I wasn't impressed with design

Same! Design didn’t have the right personality, demeanor, or... anything. Design just isn’t a good fit for Hoid. To be fair, I don’t think anyone can REALLY be a good fit for Hoid.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:43 AM, Chinkoln said:

Same! Design didn’t have the right personality, demeanor, or... anything. Design just isn’t a good fit for Hoid. To be fair, I don’t think anyone can REALLY be a good fit for Hoid.

I kinda liked that she clashed so dramatically with Hoid. I find Hoid more likeable the less he plays into the "mysterious all knowing trickster" archetype, so having a companion that constantly ruins his rhythm just makes him that much more tolerable.

Yesterday I finished my rereading of RoW, so I have some opinions:

1. The first part was too tedious and feels disconnected from the rest of the book, but I still find it necessary.

2. Adolin has become one of the best characters in SA, I enjoyed his PoV much more than Shallan's.

3. Brandon owes us in the fifth book, plus participation from Dalinar, Szeth, Jasnah, Lift and Rysn.

4. The book lacked comic moments, even being the book where Wit appears the most.

5. Chapter 111 should have been separated into two chapters, one with what happened in Urithiru and the other with what happened in Dalinar and Ishar. It was anticlimactic to have both intertwined in a single chapter, both chapters being action, and not laid back like 116, for example.

6. Mraize's actions do not make Thaidakar a villain. Thaidakar is a questionable person, but Mraize is simply despicable and is definitely the person that Thaidakar would punch, but it turns out that he is one of his lackeys.

7. Dalinar has heard the term "Adonalsium" since WoK thanks to Wit, Stormfather, maybe Ash, and now Ishar. But still, it never asks what or who Adonalsium is, and it's frustrating because anyone would react with curiosity and ask what that term means.

8. Zahel totally disappeared after his conversation with Kaladin. I just hope he and Azure appear in the fifth book.

Likewise, I loved the book and sometimes how heavy it is, and it was OB, we can justify it with that they are the middle point of the saga. WoR still seems like the best of the 4, but I'm sure the fifth will be the best

• 2 weeks later...

1. Alright, from seeing other posts here, I have decided that this really is a rather unpopular opinion: Rlain could not have bonded the Sibling, even if Navani had never existed or had not been chosen. I have come to this deduction by examining all evidence presented in the novel which pertains to this subject. Rlain is an embittered outcast of both the Listeners/Singers and Humans. He lacks the correct personality and manor of emotional damage to bond a bondsmith type spren, as he does not  bridge, or unify; he separates; It would require that he be chosen purely because he wasn't human and that he was in the right place, which would oppose his character arc completely and entirely.

Outside of selection based upon what species he is, there is certainly no reason at all that Rlain would be better as a bondsmith than any of the other characters in the 'societal outcast' crowd, all of whom would make significantly inferior bondsmiths to Navani. And finally, Rlain being chosen is exactly what we would have expected to happen (hence some people's disappointment), the general trend in the fantasy genre presently being ridiculously contrasting hero's journeys. The only reason that Rlain would become a bondsmith is because we want him to do so in order to appease our sense of justice, which has nothing to do with the plot or his actual character. And thus, the trick is on all of us, Branderson actually pulled a massive plot twist by not writing one at all.

I also have a personal hunch that at some point we shall learn why all of the Kholins are slowly becoming radiant I'm subsequent novels, but this hardly need be included in what is already a blurb of opinion stretched far too long.

2. Like many others have noted, the nodes are a terrifyingly foolish plot device, highly reminiscent of the 'conquest' mode in the first person shooter franchise 'Battlefield'. At this point is this really still considered an unpopular opinion?

3. Kaladin's depression was not handled with the same finesse that it was in WoK and WoR. It builds to an immeasurable front at which point Kaladin attempts to end it, but then, suddenly, he gets his powers back + shardplate and suddenly forgets that he was just in the frickin' process of killing himself. (Though that Tien seen was touching, I'll admit.) On the bright side, now he may be worshipping Dalinar as God, and I mean, really, why not?

Edited by Elend Venture

6 minutes ago, Elend Venture said:

I also have a personal hunch that at some point we shall learn why all of the Kholins are slowly becoming radiant I'm subsequent novels, but this hardly need be included in what is already a blurb of opinion stretched far too long.

We already know that

Spoiler

Soni

Is there a reason for why so many early Radiants were family? Including theorized ones, we have Tien and Kaladin, Jasnah and Elhokar, Dalinar and Renarin, Shallan and Helaran...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, so I can give you the "how the sausage is made," I call this the narrative reason vs the in-world reason. I can give you both.

In-world reasoning is that, when these bonds are forming, these human beings have bonds to other people, and that naturally leads the spren along those bonds. When Kaladin is forming a bond with a windspren [honorspren], and windspren [honorspren] start looking, or even other sapient spren start looking for people, they're going to notice. Remember, they're coming into the Physical Realm, it's very hard for them. They're doing this partially from the Cognitive Realm, searching and trying to get pulled through by the attention and the bond that is forming. They're naturally led to other people who are related. You could even say that, because of Tien, Syl found Kaladin.

I built this in for a narrative reason, and the narrative reason is: we generally are going to want to have a larger than average number of people among the core characters, who are involved in the magic system, and involved in the narrative. Because the magic system is so important in my books, I knew that I was gonna have a lot of friends and family of main characters end up with spren bonds.

But I don't think this is unusual. In fact, I think this is more true to life. It's not one of those coincidences we make up for a book; it's one of those coincidences that happens in life that seems unusual. It seems unusual if you look at it and say, "There are five people who became full-time in the publishing industry during the year Brandon was a senior at BYU. And they are all friends; in fact, they were all friends before they got published." This seems unusual; like, why didn't anyone else? There is nobody else that I know that broke in into the industry from that year. Maybe it happened, but nobody I knew who wasn't in our immediate friend group. Well, this is not that surprising if you actually look at it, because when one person breaks in, it becomes so much easier for everyone else that knew that person. Not just for networking reasons. (Networking reasons: obvious). The other obvious one is: the people are gonna know each other because they're all gonna be moving in the same circles, looking for each other without knowing it. They're gonna be looking for other good writers, and they're gonna be making connections with them. They're gonna notice when people ask questions in a class that are the right kinds of questions to be asking about getting published.

But even beyond those two things, once I broke in, Dan Wells has said before he realized, "Brandon did this; this is real. He actually did this. I can do this." And indeed, he went and broke in. Once this thing that seems impossible, whether it's becoming a full time novelist, or forming a spren bond and becoming a Knight Radiant; once you've seen somebody do it, it becomes way easier for you to conceive of yourself doing it. This is why C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien were in the same writing group. This is why you see this sort of thing happening all around the world and in all sorts of professions, that people who were friends together... Every time that people are like, "Wow, these three major Hollywood stars knew each other in high school." Well, yes, that is actually more likely to happen than not, because of all these reasons I've talked about.

YouTube Livestream 23 (Dec. 17, 2020)

6 minutes ago, Elend Venture said:

On the bright side, now he may be worshipping Dalinar as God, and I mean, really, why not?

I kind of want to see this now

19 minutes ago, Frustration said:
26 minutes ago, Elend Venture said:

On the bright side, now he may be worshipping Dalinar as God, and I mean, really, why not?

I kind of want to see this now

Imagining religious customs they could come up with inspired by Dalinar's life.

Dress code at services will be incredibly strict. 

During services there is a call and response where the priest asks the practitioners if he can have their pain and they say no, you cannot. 

For the once a year, week long holiday they get extremely drunk several days in a row and then go into a room filled with plants (fake or real) to sober up. Can't grow that much on Roshar so most people won't have a forest or jungle to wander into. 

Pilgrimage involves going to the Rift and burning a prayer :(.  People will try to go to the Valley, but Cultivation (regardless of who holds the power at this point) or the Nightwatcher will get fed up with that real fast and put a stop to it. 

At the end of services everybody does one simultaneous clap.