Odd Job Tavern

Invocation

21 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Lita felt that familiar mixture of fear and excitement curl in her stomach, and she forced herself to smile. "I certainly hope so," she said.

She expected Laurelai to write down a name or an address for her, or perhaps a meeting time and place, very hush-hush. That was how Forian had done business, all cloak and dagger, intermediaries and drop points. Lita was halfway towards asking her about that strange pen trick when the tavern door opened.

The man who walked in was dressed rather like a wealthy banker back in Elendel, with his fine suit and bowler hat. His eyes flicked over the tavern, resting on Laurelai and walking toward her. An absurd thought floated through her mind, and very suddenly, Lita was certain of two things: Laurelai had somehow just sent for this man, and he was incredibly dangerous.

With effort, Lita took a sip of port and adopted what she hoped was a polite, curious expression.

“Now what do we have here?” the man asked quietly.

Lita took another sip of port; it tasted like ashwater. Her eyes flicked toward Laurelai, unsure of the hierarchy here. 

Think, Lita. What's important to these people? Power, knowledge, subtlety, intelligence. That meant no playing dumb, but she couldn't be too blunt either. If Lita spoke first, would that be taken as insubordinate, or expedient? Ruination, why couldn't she have been born a soother?

Hell, Lita thought, setting down her glass and looking up at the man in the bowler hat. The cat's among the pigeons now.

"Good afternoon sir," she said, flashing him a small crescent of white teeth. "We were just discussing a potential meeting of two interested parties. I must say, your appearance is quite fortuitous." @MacThorstenson

Mac glanced around the tavern again, watching for any potential assassins; Making sure that he was looking in control and composed the entire time. Hopefully I pulled it off. He thought, sitting down.

"Good afternoon sir," the lady said, smiling. "We were just discussing a potential meeting of two interested parties. I must say, your appearance is quite fortuitous."

Wait what? It was already the afternoon? He checked his pocket watch, and sighed. Internally, he berated himself. There was a bake off that he had missed. He had been looking forward to that for ages! Gosh dangit. He sighed again. "Oh well," He muttered, then more loudly he asked, "Do you want a cookie?" He pulled a classic chocolate chip and oatmeal cookie out of his suit coat and offered it to the lady.

"You must be the interesting person my friend here mentioned. Lets hope you aren't a waste of time. 

First, let's make something clear. I do not appreciate subtlety, which may be weird for the head of the Counterintelligence department. Please say what you mean clearly.

Now, I was informed that you may be a useful asset to our organization. What do you have to offer to the table?"

Sorry for the late reply.

Laurelai's eyes widened as Mac walked into the tavern personally, briefly glancing about before moving over towards Lita and herself. She hadn't expected him to take that much of an interest in her message, still being somewhat new with the DA, all things considered. She'd also heard that he had been difficult to get a hold of recently, something about meetings with Voidus.

A chill went down her spine for a moment before she stopped herself. She was a curious person, but she had a feeling she really didn't want to hear what happened in those meetings.

Lita covertly opened the conversation with Mac. She seemed a little nervous, possibly noting Mac's importance within the DA.

Mac replied bluntly, abandoning all pretense and asked Lita at face value what she could offer.

Well, I suppose at least now I don't have to hold to any pretense either. Laurelai thought wryly.

She adjusted her posture, no longer hiding the small protrusion in the cloth at her shoulder, the small metallic bump that indicated her first spike.

As soon as Mac walked in here we were likely noticed, I suppose it wouldn't have mattered even if we'd tried to still be discreet.

Mac was simply to noticeable and well known of a figure to blend into the background.

1 hour ago, MacThorstenson said:

"You must be the interesting person my friend here mentioned. Lets hope you aren't a waste of time. 

First, let's make something clear. I do not appreciate subtlety, which may be weird for the head of the Counterintelligence department. Please say what you mean clearly.

Now, I was informed that you may be a useful asset to our organization. What do you have to offer to the table?"

Lita blinked at the man, taking the cookie automatically, then setting it on the counter.

Definitely not, she thought. 

Well, no subtlety. That was odd for a spymaster but then again, Lita had met people with stranger quirks. She breathed out through her nose, glancing at Laurelai, who seemed nearly as unsettled as Lita felt. She didn't miss that strange little protrusion at the woman's shoulder, visible now as she shifted. Lita shivered, then looked back to the suited man.

"Alright then," Lita began, picking up her glass and taking another drink. "My name's Lita Attar. I'm a tineye - well, a Twinborn actually. Brass Ferring, but that's not much use for spying. I have experience working espionage, back in Elendel. My uh... former employer was a minor lord involved in smuggling. He was in the constabulary, and I used to listen in at parties, functions, that sort of thing. No one knew I was a tineye - my father kept it a secret. He had me spying on his customers since I could run drinks through the soothing parlor. My eyesight is absolute rubbish without my tin on, so no one expects it."

She took her glasses off the edge of her nose and waved them a little for extra effect. "I like secrets, and I've developed a bit of a taste for..." 

Murder? that nasty little voice suggested. "...power," Lita finished. "I've heard that your organization has plenty of both, and I'd be willing to gather whatever kind of information you need."

She looked up at the man, then her eyes strayed back toward Laurelai's shoulder. Now there is a secret I've never learned, sure as daylight.

"After a lifetime of listening at keyholes, I've realized that most people are impossibly dull," she said softly, almost to herself. "Most people have all the same secrets, did you know that? Lovers, addictions, embezzlement, violence. Everyone same as the last. But I've caught glimpses of other kinds of secrets - the kinds of things that flit through the corners of your eyes. The kinds of secrets the world itself keeps from us."

Lita could feel her pulse quicken, her cheeks flush a little. Too much port, she thought, but her mouth kept moving. 

"If you know a man's secret, he'll do whatever you want," she said, swirling the last of the red liquor absently. "But if you know the world's secret, you can do whatever you want."

@Voidus

Can I just say again: I love your writing. :D

Laurelai looked back towards Mac as Lita introduced herself, trying to read his expression for any hints of annoyance or irritation at her. Briefly she considered Forging herself again but that probably wouldn't be the best idea.

She pulled her pen out again, this time not clicking the conjoined ruby into place. This message wasn't for transmitting, but it might be easier to have some way to communicate without Lita noticing.

She pulled out a small pad, noting down a few things in shorthand. Holding a pen without having anything to write on could draw its own kind of attention sometimes.

While keeping an eye on their surroundings to make sure no one was getting too close she gave the pen a few deft twirls, sending another Alleycant message to Mac.

She's not just good with tin. I think she noticed something off about my accent even when I'd forged myself. Insight beyond just enhanced senses.

That is some good writing.

I am going to apologize to both of you for my sloppy writing, its a work in progress :D.

So essentially, a good spy. We could certainly improve upon her abilities. 

"If you know a man's secret, he'll do whatever you want," Lita said, swirling the last of the red liquor absently. "But if you know the world's secret, you can do whatever you want."

Mac's attention snapped back to Lita. Now she was a person after his own heart. 

"Tell me," he asked softly, "What do you know about the worlds secrets? And what are you willing to do to find out more?"

He stood up and slid a metal spike out of his pocket, spinning it about idly. "In my time here I've found that its not what people are willing to do that makes them useful, its what they aren't willing to do. When you reach a persons limits, you find out what makes them mortal. Then you can improve them. Then they can become a god."

He straightened and refocused. "Sorry for the tangent. You will find that many of the members of the DA aren't one shot deals. We tend to be more jacks of all trades, and I tend to be a philosopher on occasion."

He spun the spike in a circle, sending an alleycant message back to Laurelai. She's a keeper, but don't let her know yet. If she wont work as another apprentice, as a spy.

@Voidus @ZincAboutIt

Edited by MacThorstenson

Thank you!! ^_^  You are both excellent writers yourself, no apologies needed!

The man in the bowler stood up and slid a metal spike out of his pocket, spinning it about idly. "In my time here I've found that its not what people are willing to do that makes them useful, its what they aren't willing to do. When you reach a persons limits, you find out what makes them mortal. Then you can improve them. Then they can become a god."

Lita looked up at that, eyes caught immediately by the glint of that metal spike. "Ruination," she whispered. Then she blushed, not having intended to speak aloud. She cleared her throat and downed the rest of her port.

"Who can say what their limits are, until one comes upon them?" Lita said, following the slow twirl of the man's spike. She remembered wiping the white foam off of Forian's lips with his own cravat. His eyes had been so blue, even in that dim light. "But I'll tell you that every time I've found one of those limits, I've found a way to work around it. If something can be improved, well, who am I to say no?"

She looked at Laurelai, who had remained silent since her boss walked in. She was twirling her pen again, having taken a few notes in some kind of shorthand. 

There is something odd about that pen, Lita thought, narrowing her eyes. I think I'd rather like one.

"As to what I'm willing to do to find out more about the world's secrets, well..." She leaned forward, looking at that spike again. Curiosity and greed coiled together like twin snakes through her blood. "I ran through a rip in the world to get here. Is that something I'm just supposed to forget? There are rules out there that I didn't even know existed. How many am I breaking without even knowing it?"

She licked the tip of her finger and ran it along the rim of her glass. The hollow note hung in the air between the three of them. 

"How many more could I break, if I did?"

@Voidus @MacThorstenson

8 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

Crow stood up from her seat on the bar, cracked her knuckles, and walked out, leaving only one sign of her being there. A massive knife through the door, going in on the side of the bar, blade emerging outside.

What is with you and destroying my tavern, Ark?

On 25/02/2019 at 0:15 AM, Silva said:

He kept giving her looks. Like she should have been more paranoid. Like it was amazing she was alive despite trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Freedom had lots of respect for the art of giving looks, but this was getting old.

She gave the floor a glare as though accusing it of being at fault, while she aged to around thirty. It was a rough estimate, probably off by a few years, but the slight growth spurt would help it seem all the more accurate even if she wasn't exactly on the dot. Besides for two years older she'd never spent much time on exactness since there never was a real need.

Freedom glanced up, waiting.

Lusk was looking at the woman who had been looking at Freedom. She walked out of the bar. He turned back to Freedom.

“Everyone has a, uh, separate skills. That’s my name for it anyway. There are...” mid-sentence he made himself younger, to 18 years old. Things were always easier to explain when he was smarter. Immediately his entire demeanour, pitch of voice, attitude, all of it changed.

“You’ll find not much research has been done on us, so most of this terminology I’ve made up, kay?

“Anyway, your body isn’t the only thing to change when you age. Certain skills can be prominent, and sometimes there are downsides.

“The difference between you and me is that you have to store Atium to get to most ages, and I have to tap. That’s good for you, because your future isn’t set yet, it’s variable. For example, if you start going to the gym for a few days, and then store Atium, your body will extrapolate, and when you age to become older by 5 years, you’ll have the strength of a girl who’s been to the gym for five years, with none of the work.

“Similarly, if you do bad things to yourself, if you smoke excessively or whatever, you will find your body will extrapolate that too, so the next time you age you could have some disease. Basically, using that you can gain a vast amount of skills will little to no work and some thinking. Make sense?”

21 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

The man in the bowler stood up and slid a metal spike out of his pocket, spinning it about idly. "In my time here I've found that its not what people are willing to do that makes them useful, its what they aren't willing to do. When you reach a persons limits, you find out what makes them mortal. Then you can improve them. Then they can become a god."

Lita looked up at that, eyes caught immediately by the glint of that metal spike. "Ruination," she whispered. Then she blushed, not having intended to speak aloud. She cleared her throat and downed the rest of her port.

"Who can say what their limits are, until one comes upon them?" Lita said, following the slow twirl of the man's spike. She remembered wiping the white foam off of Forian's lips with his own cravat. His eyes had been so blue, even in that dim light. "But I'll tell you that every time I've found one of those limits, I've found a way to work around it. If something can be improved, well, who am I to say no?"

She looked at Laurelai, who had remained silent since her boss walked in. She was twirling her pen again, having taken a few notes in some kind of shorthand. 

There is something odd about that pen, Lita thought, narrowing her eyes. I think I'd rather like one.

"As to what I'm willing to do to find out more about the world's secrets, well..." She leaned forward, looking at that spike again. Curiosity and greed coiled together like twin snakes through her blood. "I ran through a rip in the world to get here. Is that something I'm just supposed to forget? There are rules out there that I didn't even know existed. How many am I breaking without even knowing it?"

She licked the tip of her finger and ran it along the rim of her glass. The hollow note hung in the air between the three of them. 

"How many more could I break, if I did?"

@Voidus @MacThorstenson

Mac's face fell for a brief moment, then he recovered. It was a less than a moment, but if this Lita was as good as she appeared, she would pick up on it.

She was also of the opinion that the less limits a person had the better. He had phrased his question neutrally, as to not bias her answer, but she still chose that path. Would he ever be able to find a suitable apprentice?

Mac grinned, "I imagine that what you see as rules and what actually are rules are quite different. The latter are notoriously hard to break, and I only knew of one man who succeeded by breaking them.

But breaking what you and other people see as rules, that is good. That gives you an advantage. And I think that once you figure out what those rules are, you will be in a place to gain a lot of power.

We can help with that." With that, he stood up abruptly. "Care to go for a walk?" He waved to Laurelai to follow and started toward the door, not waiting for a response from either.

@Voidus

Edited by MacThorstenson

1 hour ago, MacThorstenson said:

Mac grinned, "I imagine that what you see as rules and what actually are rules are quite different. The latter are notoriously hard to break, and I only knew of one man who succeeded by breaking them.

But breaking what you and other people see as rules, that is good. That gives you an advantage. And I think that once you figure out what those rules are, you will be in a place to gain a lot of power.

We can help with that." With that, he stood up abruptly. "Care to go for a walk?" He waved to Laurelai to follow and started toward the door, not waiting for a response from either.

Lita watched the man's expression cloud for a moment, the shadow of disappointment cross his face.

A test, then, Lita thought, pursing her lips. I've answered wrong?

She felt a twinge of irritation. I thought you weren't one for subtlety, Mister Bowler Hat. Honesty from me, but not from thee, is that it? Hypocrisy - now there was a trait she did expect from a spymaster.  

Lita rolled her shoulders, rearranging her face back into a calm facade. She supposed she couldn't be too annoyed - she'd lied too, of course. Lita had her limits; Forian had discovered that first-hand. She just didn't think that it was wise to admit to murdering her former employer at a job interview. Lita said a silent prayer of thanks to the Survivor that her father was safe back in Elendel, away from this city and these people. Away from Lita.

"Care to go for a walk?" The man stood suddenly, walking toward the door.

Lita felt her face blanch. Rusting damnation, she thought, scampering over to the notice board and ripping her job advertisement off its tack. She balled it up in her hands, drawing her fur wrap tighter over her shoulders and following the man and Laurelai. The knife sticking through the door seemed to echo her own mood of foreboding. She cast one last look over her shoulder at the tavern, then stepped out into the city.

@Voidus

She is interested, He thought, and she will definitely make a good agent, regardless of the morals. 

He stepped up to a empty dark alley and waited for them to catch up.

When they arrived, he started talking.

"I can definitely see that you are a good find, and you have passed the first interview, care to join me for the next?" He said while stepping over a wrapper into the Dark Alley.

@ZincAboutIt @Voidus

Oof that sucks, im sorry.

Do you want us to continue pinging you voidus?

Edited by MacThorstenson

34 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

"I can definitely see that you are a good find, and you have passed the first interview, care to join me for the next?" He said while stepping over a wrapper into the Dark Alley.

Lita chewed her lip, pulling a small vial of tin flakes out of her pocket and downing the contents. She'd need all her wits about her now.

A mug of choc and two glasses of port, she thought absently. Not bad for a last meal, if this all goes to hell.

"Of course," she said, following the two of them into the dark. 

@Voidus

As they followed him deeper into the alleys, he made sure they were close behind him. 

It wouldn't do to have them getting lost in the alleys he thought as he rounded another corner, walking into another empty, soundless, alley.

Hopefully the path would remain clear this time. He was usually pretty good with Alleymatics, but last time he had brought someone in for the second interview via the Back Road he had to kill an eldritch horror that had set up a small cottage in one of the more narrow alleys. 

While it had raised a lot of questions, namely why did an eldritch horror want a cottage that was only 2meters wide, he had to kill it because it refused to move. In the ensuing fight, the spy had died.

As he walked, the sky changed shades of gray. Sometimes it was a lighter, when they passed through the mediocrity lit alleys, other times it was a darker gray.

The alleys themselves changed as well, at the beginning they were more normal alleys, the kind you find in a city. But in his quest to have a secret road to his office he often had to resort to some of the stranger alleys to find an unoccupied path. 

Thankfully there was no dimensional warping necessary yet. Most people didn't survive that either. He had turned out of alley #76, a soccer field, and into alley &*37, an unoccupied luxery spa, when he suddenly stopped walking and started looking in the cupboards. 

"Aha! Here it is! Follow me!" He climbed into the cupboard and fell down a short chute, popping out on the floor of an alley.

This alley was like the first one, the kind that you would find in a city. The only difference was that this time there people. Bakers and scientists moving from place to place, to alley to alley, all beneath a sky so impossibly black that it drew you in if you stared at it too long. Literally. They were in the Dark Alley's proper.

Turning around, he shouted up the chute, "Hurry up before the path closes! And don't look up for too long." He then walked to a nondescript metal door and waited for them to arrive.

Lets move this to the People you wouldn't want to meet in a Dark Alley thread, shall we? Also, this will likely be the last post I can make tonight.

@Voidus @ZincAboutIt

Edited by MacThorstenson