Odd Job Tavern

Invocation

The Alethi lady slowly walks over to a vacant table. She sets a bright red bag down next to her. She opens the bag and takes out a quill, ink, and a scroll of parchment, which she proceeds to write on. Her hand shakes slightly. The flowery pattern on her Havah seems to... shift upwards to the right sleeve.

21 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Similarly, if you do bad things to yourself, if you smoke excessively or whatever, you will find your body will extrapolate that too, so the next time you age you could have some disease. Basically, using that you can gain a vast amount of skills will little to no work and some thinking. Make sense?”

Freedom nodded, but her mind was still on the woman. She'd left with a knife in the door. Facing in her direction. Before she had been watching her.  And, Freedom swallowed, she'd been around seven feet tall. The facts fit whether she liked it or not. 

But she was gone, helping the side of her that wanted it not to be true. If it really had been Crow, she wouldn't have left Freedom alive. Most likely.

"If that's the case," she said, turning her focus back on Lusk, "then what do you suppose would happen if a person never spent time at a certain age? Say, they skipped being one year old and went straight to three? If they were to tap to that point, what would it be like?"

Edited by Silva

3 hours ago, Silva said:

"If that's the case," she said, turning her focus back on Lusk, "then what do you suppose would happen if a person never spent time at a certain age? Say, they skipped being one year old and went straight to three? If they were to tap to that point, what would it be like?"

Lusk scratched his head. “I... don’t know,” he said, frowning. “Everything I know is from my own experience. And I never tried that.” Maybe the body would extrapolate the age, but reverse? Or would it change to the age you had changed to when you were that age? He wasn’t sure.

“But when it comes to skills, there are obviously constants,” he continued. “Unless you’ve convinced your body to extrapolate otherwise, you can imagine growing older will lend you some extra maturity, and in some cases Intelligence. Being old will either make you thin and be weedy or overweight and physically large. Either way, it’s an advantage.”

He handed her his steel knife. He could always get a replacement. “Now, bend this knife.”

47 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

He handed her his steel knife. He could always get a replacement. “Now, bend this knife.”

He didn't know everything. That both relieved and worried Freedom.

She raised an eyebrow at Lusk's request, but took the knife, holding it carefully as to not cut herself. Freedom eyed it warily. Was there some sort of trick here? Even with his extrapolation idea, she still couldn't have the strength since she wasn't trying to increase it at her base age. 

Averting her gaze from her hands, she held the knife by the ends and tried anyways.

8 hours ago, Silva said:

Averting her gaze from her hands, she held the knife by the ends and tried anyways.

Nothing happened.

Lusk rubbed his eyes and took the knife back from her. He smiled slightly.

“Look at you. What did you think was going to happen?” He shifted to thirty again, knife still in his hands.

“But at least there’s a lesson in this. You know, no matter what age you are you’ll never be able to fly, or increase your senses, or even do something as mundanely supernatural as bending a simple steel knife. You know, when Mistborn train, they have their whole ‘we are not invincible,’ talk, and this is something similar.

“As an Atium Ferring, you can do things. But never take that to mean more than it is. I bet even a Pewterarm could have bent that knife at least a bit. We can’t. Ever. Atium Feruchemy has its uses, but though you’ll learn to be stronger, or smarter at will, you and I will never be able to go beyond. Everything we do, every skill, could be done by a normal person, all the Feruchemy does is let us choose when and where.

“And I didn’t get your name. What was that again?”

20 hours ago, Inky said:

The girl looks up. 
"Oh." She says, with no emotion present in her voice. "A Herdazian." 

Galavian gave her a blank stare.

"No. I'm not a herdazian. I was a herdazian."

He glances at the things on the table

"What are you up to herer?"

A lighteyed Alethi girl with strange, multi-colored hair and a bright blue bird perched on her shoulder peeks into the tavern. She seems to mumble to herself for a moment, then quickly strides over to an empty table and sits down, averting her gaze from everyone else.

Edited by Lunamor

7 hours ago, beantheboy12 said:

Galavian gave her a blank stare.

"No. I'm not a herdazian. I was a herdazian."

He glances at the things on the table

"What are you up to herer?"

The girl squints, staring down the man in front of her. 

"How can you no longer be something as ingrained in you as an ethnicity? Anyways, I'm just trying to find a place to lie down for a bit."

A very large Horneater throws the doors open and strides through, ducking a little so he doesn't burn his head on the lamps. "I have heard that there is one group with more power than any other group here: the Dark Alley. If you are in this group, meet me in the third private parlor at your leisure. I have something to discuss with you. Your safety is assured," he says, practically roaring and yet there is no visible strain to his throat. He whips around, robe flaring, and strides back out the door.

Just PM me

Edited by Invocation

On 2/27/2019 at 4:54 AM, I think I am here. said:

“And I didn’t get your name. What was that again?”

Weapon out of her hands, her posture relaxed again and she brushed a hair away from her face,

She was relieved. Honestly. To have been missing something that big would have made no sense.

Freedom shifted her weight. "Freedom Acute," she said. She probably could have gotten away with just giving her first name, but as he'd given a last name, it might have seemed rude.

Edited by Silva

Lusk nodded. “Freedom.” Interesting. His parents had named him after a word too.

“Now, Freedom, I want to teach you about healing.”

Taking the knife, he hovered it over his forearm before hesitating and then finally making a small cut. Blood started to leak out of the wound.

“Age can get rid of a wound. You can age older, to when the wound has healed to a scar. You’re lucky, when I age to heal I’m almost dead from old age anyway. If you’re injured you can store Atium and still be a suitable age for combat.”

He aged as a demonstration, and suddenly he felt very old, and reached for his cane. He reached his normal age, 46.

“Despite what the tables say, it’s not the best for disguises, though it can do. Usually, however, people can see the person you’ll age into on your face.”

On 3/1/2019 at 2:27 AM, I think I am here. said:

“Despite what the tables say, it’s not the best for disguises, though it can do. Usually, however, people can see the person you’ll age into on your face.”

Oh, rusts.

He cut himself and before she could look away there was blood. Not a lot. But enough.

Her breathing quickened and before she knew it she was no longer in the tavern, but back outside in the night with her siblings. And him. She watched helplessly as Vahara stepped out moments before a spike would be thrust into Light's heart.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," he said. Vahara looked just as she remembered. Tousled brown hair and shirt not quite tucked in. 

That's because this is just a memory. she told herself. Nothing here can hurt you. It felt real though. Too real. 

"And who are you?"

"Rusts and ruin," he cursed. Freedom almost smiled - he would always reprimand them with poor language for using poor language. Except she knew what was about to happen. "Pry really wasn't kidding when she said people there were violent and her siblings needed someone to watch them always. Who the hell do you think you are?"

"I'm your doom. You're a distraction." 

Too true.

"Get the hell away from those children." 

"Fine.Come closer then." 

He glared, suspicious. "Why should I do that? I don't trust bastards like you."

"Ah, so that's it. You will come because otherwise these children are gone. Forever."

Vahara stepped forward then, despite Freedom's internal screams at him not to. "Release them."

Then Hellbent smiled. He smiled as he said no and killed him. In front of them. Throwing his head to their feet. Blood soaking into the ground. 

Freedom blinked.

It was gone. She was back in the tavern standing next to Lusk Uwik. Sometime during it all she'd gone back to around fifteen on instinct. And he'd gone to much older. The blood was gone. Only a small scar remained where it had been. She had missed what he had said, but the meaning carried. Atium Ferrings could heal by aging past. That was cool.

“Despite what the tables say, it’s not the best for disguises, though it can do. Usually, however, people can see the person you’ll age into on your face,” he was saying.

"Wait," she said. "If someone got injured at an older age, then couldn't they get around it by going back to their normal age, before it happened, and aging normally till that point?"

30 minutes ago, Silva said:

“Wait," she said. "If someone got injured at an older age, then couldn't they get around it by going back to their normal age, before it happened, and aging normally till that point?"

“I tried that,” Lusk said. “And in most cases it works. But then when you age back to normal you have the injury like it was fresh, so it has its downsides.”

He didn’t mention the look that had passed over her face just briefly when he’d cut himself. PTSD. He sighed. Kids were too rusting young to have PTSD.

“And one more thing,” he said, aging to 18 to explain it better. “One day you’ll be like me, where you’ll have to tap Atium to get to most, ages, not store.

“When that time comes, be prepared. Over my life, I’ve been overweight, fit, skinny, and good at different things. Over your life, make sure there’s variety in your body and your skills, so when your my age, you can tap more efficiently. The older you get, the less you can extrapolate your age and the more it becomes set. That is all.”

Edited by I think I am here.

29 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“When that time comes, be prepared. Over my life, I’ve been overweight, fit, skinny, and good at different things. Over your life, make sure there’s variety in your body and your skills, so when your my age, you can tap more efficiently. The older you get, the less you can extrapolate your age and the more it becomes set. That is all.”

So in a few months she was going to have some serious problems while asleep due to injury. Good to know. She would just have to deal with it.

Freedom bit her bottom lip. There were some more questions she had, but most were simple and answerable through her own experimentation. There was one that wasn't though.

"You're only forty six," she said. "Why did you say earlier that you were on your deathbed?" She looked away awkwardly. "Unless that's too personal a question..."

KanMien stood in the alleys near the building, looking at the tavern. "Maybe I can go drink something there," they thought, curious. They shook their head, focusing. They moved to an alley near Mac's, focusing on their ears, making sure they could hear everything. Their hands rested on their guns, the feeling helping them calm down.

Edited by kenod
spelling