Odd Job Tavern

Invocation

Just now, Ark1002 said:

She looked down at him. "I can handle a lot. Large metabolism and all." She leaned in. "Ten times that."

"If you say so." Malu fills the glass all the way up. "Most people either can't handle it or just don't want it, so I don't bother pouring much unless specifically asked for."

9 hours ago, Silva said:

She looked at Lusk. Opened her mouth, then shut it again. The right words failed to come. everything sounded too sappy or fake in her head. Instead she just nodded. If he were anywhere near as smart as he acted, he'd know what it meant.

The Atium Ferring nodded. Lusk looked ahead, and nodded back. She agreed. For him to teach her a few things. That was enough.

“We can decide on a place later,” he said. “First, lets get rid of that person who seems to be so interested in glaring at you.” He gestured to the large woman staring at Freedom.

“Storms, I need to get sober,” he mumbled.

A man walked in and cleared his throat.

"The Expedition to the Other Side of the World will be leaving from the Alleyharbor in..."

He checked his watch.

"Two hours. We hope to see you there."

He bowed, and stood up in case anyone had questions.

Edited by xinoehp512

On 2/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, I think I am here. said:

“We can decide on a place later,” he said. “First, lets get rid of that person who seems to be so interested in glaring at you.” He gestured to the large woman staring at Freedom.

Freedom looked to where Lusk had gestured. There was a large woman drinking. She couldn't tell herself if she was really being watched, but she took his word for it. 

"I've never seen her in my life," she said. "She might just be an unhappy person with no ulterior motives."

On 2/20/2019 at 4:01 AM, ZincAboutIt said:

"If only I had the good fortune of meeting someone like that,"

"If only." Laurelai replied slyly, one corner of her mouth curling up in a smile. "I hear people like that have a preference to remain anonymous while they're out and about. Finding them may be difficult. I've overhead that they tend to be the ones who find you."

Well we should probably drop the games soon anyway. She thought wryly.

Her eyes fluttered shut for a moment as Lita ordered herself another drink.
Laurelai directed a surge on Investiture inwards, towards her Identity, changing that which had already happened back to its normal state. She felt the years of experience interacting with people fading away, her usual nervousness began to take hold once more, her experience with accents and languages faded, replaced with in-depth studies of the intricacies of Investiture and its relationships between systems, and her more recently acquired knowledge of Hemalurgy returned with it. She also felt once more the rush of Investiture as her Bane made itself known once more, but other than a feeling of lethargy and tiredness she didn't notice anything else.

Her head tilted back down, no longer held in the lofty expression of a noblewoman and her gaze drifted more directly towards Lita, no longer disguising her glance. As she spoke her accent shifted again, no longer either Scadrian or noble, she adopted the drawling, mish-mash of accents that was unique to the Alleycity, though with a slightly more Alethi inflection than most carried.

"So. Hypothetically if we were to find such a person, what would we discuss? People who look for the Dark Alley usually have ambitions beyond simply acquiring a paycheck."

8 hours ago, Voidus said:

"So. Hypothetically if we were to find such a person, what would we discuss? People who look for the Dark Alley usually have ambitions beyond simply acquiring a paycheck."

Lita narrowed her eyes as she watched Laurelai change. It was a subtle thing, but tin let a person catch many subtleties that escaped an untrained eye. She seemed to diminish.

No, that's not it, Lita thought, raising her glass toward her mouth automatically and taking a sip. She's rearranging... something.

Laurelai's posture changed, all trace of guile and haughtiness replaced with a keen intellect. She looked Lita straight in the eyes now, noble accent now completely abandoned. Lita felt a small surge of pride at having guessed she was faking.

It's cards on the table now, Lita told herself. She could still back out, explain that all she was looking for was a little coin, but that door was rapidly closing. Lita felt her skin prickle.

Is that really all you want? that small voice whispered. Just a little coin?

Lita knew the answer. She could have made a tidy living simply filling brass Excisors for Malwish explorers, but instead she chose to take odd jobs, listen at keyholes, mix poisons that found their way into unsuspecting cups. She felt her hand creep into her pocket, fingering the cold, heavy chain of Forian's gold watch.

You miss it, the voice cooed. The secrets, the lies, the power. Lita knew it was true. She'd killed Forian but she'd never been able to forget what it had been like to be his tineye.

My secret weapon, Forian used to say, wrapping her in furs and jewelry, whisking her off to parties. My beautiful little secret.

Lita swirled her port and gave Laurelai a smile. "Hypothetically," she said, tapping the side of her glass, "I'd say that this city - this world - is built on secrets. I love a good secret, always have. Knowledge is power, after all. And who doesn't want a little more power over one's world?"

She set down her glass, willing herself not to fidget. "We're all adults here, we both understand that what you don't know most certainly will kill you. I'd just rather be the one holding all the cards, instead of the one bleeding chips."  

And some brass allomancy wouldn't go amiss either, she thought, both revolted and intrigued by the possibility. But we'll talk about that later.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:57 AM, Silva said:

Freedom looked to where Lusk had gestured. There was a large woman drinking. She couldn't tell herself if she was really being watched, but she took his word for it. 

"I've never seen her in my life," she said. "She might just be an unhappy person with no ulterior motives."

Lusk looked to her flatly. He aged to thirty but the look remained. "Yeah, right, no ulterior motives my boot. She probably saw you change age, which meant she'd know you're an Atium Ferring, which means she probably thinks you have a little Atium on you. And now that she knows you're just a little kid pretending to be a grown up, I doubt she'd have any objections to mugging you. And that's the best case." Lusk may have had some trust issues.

He stepped back, looked at her. "Time for your first practical lesson." He looked at his hands, then at the woman watching them. "Change to, maybe, my age. Thirty should be good enough, I guess."

20 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"We're all adults here, we both understand that what you don't know most certainly will kill you. I'd just rather be the one holding all the cards, instead of the one bleeding chips."  

Laurelai nodded approvingly as she stared back at Lita, she'd been told that she could be cold at times, calculating. It was one of the reasons that she often altered herself a little when interacting with others. But sometimes seeing how someone reacted to her when she wasn't taking on a different life was useful, illuminating.

"So you seek knowledge?" She clarified "But not knowledge for its own sake."

Well I think it might be time to make a call.

She reached into a pocket and pulled out a pen, twirling it in one hand idly as she continued staring at Lita and sipping her drink with her other hand. Most would only see it as a nervous habit, but the odd movements of the pen did catch some peoples attention. The way it seemed heavier, slower than it should.

She twirled it from finger to finger for a few moments, then drew a slow circle in the air. Alleycant wasn't known by many outside of the Dark Alley, and it was useful for sending a spanreed message while in plain sight, the conjoined ruby hidden by the pen's casing

Found someone interesting. She sent. Might be useful to recruit into your department, or as a general agent for now.

Mac himself was usually too busy to personally respond to a message from someone like Laurelai, but the department might send someone else to evaluate Lita.

"Well." She said, addressing the woman again. "I can't say that that's outside the realm of what is known of the motivations of the Dark Alley. Perhaps they'd be interested enough in you to meet."

@MacThorstenson

Mac walked out of the alleyway next to the tavern, dressed in his usual suit and bowler hat.

Yep, this appears to be the place. Hopefully I didn’t risk assassination for nothing. 

He pushed in the door and walked in, looking around for Laurelai. He spotted her and walked over to the bar, keeping an eye on the other patrons. 

“Now what do we have here?” He asked quietly. 

@Voidus @ZincAboutIt

On 2/20/2019 at 8:39 PM, xinoehp512 said:

A man walked in and cleared his throat.

"The Expedition to the Other Side of the World will be leaving from the Alleyharbor in..."

He checked his watch.

"Two hours. We hope to see you there."

He bowed, and stood up in case anyone had questions.

Reylf walked up. "What's this?"

Darkness sauntered in through the front door, a lazy smile on his face.  He walked up to the bar, resting his elbows on the surface.  He looked about him, and said, "I expected this place to be a lot more fancy, what with all the talk about it."  He then turned towards the bartender, and asked for "The strongest thing ya got." 

@Invocation

12 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Darkness sauntered in through the front door, a lazy smile on his face.  He walked up to the bar, resting his elbows on the surface.  He looked about him, and said, "I expected this place to be a lot more fancy, what with all the talk about it."  He then turned towards the bartender, and asked for "The strongest thing ya got." 

@Invocation

"Fancy is useless. Lived-in is the best way for a tavern to be. Organic, not false. As to the drink, I'm going to need clarification. Do you want the strongest mixed drink I have or the strongest singular drink I have?"

1 minute ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Darkness rolled his eyes at the man's sentimental words.  "If the strongest mixed is stronger than the strongest singular," he said, "Then I'll take that."

"Fair, fair." Malu grabs around seven bottles of various forms of liquor and stirring them all together. "Here you go."

11 hours ago, Voidus said:

"I can't say that that's outside the realm of what is known of the motivations of the Dark Alley. Perhaps they'd be interested enough in you to meet."

Lita felt that familiar mixture of fear and excitement curl in her stomach, and she forced herself to smile. "I certainly hope so," she said.

She expected Laurelai to write down a name or an address for her, or perhaps a meeting time and place, very hush-hush. That was how Forian had done business, all cloak and dagger, intermediaries and drop points. Lita was halfway towards asking her about that strange pen trick when the tavern door opened.

The man who walked in was dressed rather like a wealthy banker back in Elendel, with his fine suit and bowler hat. His eyes flicked over the tavern, resting on Laurelai and walking toward her. An absurd thought floated through her mind, and very suddenly, Lita was certain of two things: Laurelai had somehow just sent for this man, and he was incredibly dangerous.

With effort, Lita took a sip of port and adopted what she hoped was a polite, curious expression.

“Now what do we have here?” the man asked quietly.

Lita took another sip of port; it tasted like ashwater. Her eyes flicked toward Laurelai, unsure of the hierarchy here. 

Think, Lita. What's important to these people? Power, knowledge, subtlety, intelligence. That meant no playing dumb, but she couldn't be too blunt either. If Lita spoke first, would that be taken as insubordinate, or expedient? Ruination, why couldn't she have been born a soother?

Hell, Lita thought, setting down her glass and looking up at the man in the bowler hat. The cat's among the pigeons now.

"Good afternoon sir," she said, flashing him a small crescent of white teeth. "We were just discussing a potential meeting of two interested parties. I must say, your appearance is quite fortuitous." @MacThorstenson

Edited by ZincAboutIt
added tag

On 2/23/2019 at 6:29 AM, I think I am here. said:

Lusk looked to her flatly. He aged to thirty but the look remained. "Yeah, right, no ulterior motives my boot. She probably saw you change age, which meant she'd know you're an Atium Ferring, which means she probably thinks you have a little Atium on you. And now that she knows you're just a little kid pretending to be a grown up, I doubt she'd have any objections to mugging you. And that's the best case." Lusk may have had some trust issues.

He stepped back, looked at her. "Time for your first practical lesson." He looked at his hands, then at the woman watching them. "Change to, maybe, my age. Thirty should be good enough, I guess."

He kept giving her looks. Like she should have been more paranoid. Like it was amazing she was alive despite trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Freedom had lots of respect for the art of giving looks, but this was getting old.

She gave the floor a glare as though accusing it of being at fault, while she aged to around thirty. It was a rough estimate, probably off by a few years, but the slight growth spurt would help it seem all the more accurate even if she wasn't exactly on the dot. Besides for two years older she'd never spent much time on exactness since there never was a real need.

Freedom glanced up, waiting.

Darkness took the glass up off of the counter, and raised to his appraising eye.  It was clear as glass.  He shrugged and tossed it back with a careless swig.  His throat immediately burst into flame, and he struggled to not cough it all up.  It was all he could do not to vomit.  He began sapping the kinetic energy from the liquid, just to handle the heat.  Once it was all down, he fell into a fit of coughing.  He looked up, glaring at the amused patrons.  He slammed the glass down on the table, then walked away from the bar.  He looked at the notice board, and perused the list of jobs and mercenaries.  He raised an amused eyebrow at the one that called everyone to help each other, and went on down the list until he came to this one:

This job is confidential. There is a chance of death (brought on only by your own incompetence), you will kill, and  will be paid a thousand Chrysts each.

Contact @Ark1002 to accept.

He callled back to the bartender, eyes fixed on the notice, "Is this still open?"

@Invocation

He shrugged and tossed it back with a careless swig.  His throat immediately burst into flame, and he struggled to not cough it all up.  It was all he could do not to vomit.  He began sapping the kinetic energy from the liquid, just to handle the heat.  Once it was all down, he fell into a fit of coughing

Malu chuckled. Watching someone take on more than they were ready for was always the best part of doing this sort of thing.

He callled back to the bartender, eyes fixed on the notice, "Is this still open?"

"As far as I'm aware, yes. Haven't gotten told to take it down yet."