Odd Job Tavern

Invocation

18 minutes ago, Silva said:

"We've been better, though mostly okay." Okay was an overstatement in some cases, but Freedom didn't want to elaborate too much. "It's been a long year. What about by you? How have the Thieves been?"

"The usual. Some smaller heists, but we've been more or less quiet."

Lena shot a quick look at the Butler and sighed, grimacing.

"It's difficult. But I guess I've been alright. Made some mistakes, earned some money."

Shrugging she smiled at her.

"It's good to hear, that you've escaped. I went back to the den, but apart from Nekorb, I found no body I could identify. So I hoped you were able to leave in time."

7 hours ago, Silva said:

Little kid? Freedom thought, raising an eyebrow. Sure I haven't hit my growth spurt yet on default age, but really?

She tapped Lena's shoulder lightly and stopped storing into her atium. Age thirteen once more and about a half a foot shorter. 

"You were saying?"

@I think I am here. @Sorana

Lusk saw the woman tap the other one’s shoulder, and change to a kid again. It was too solid of a change to be an illusion, it had to be something else.

He was so surprised he hadn’t said anything for a couple minutes. Now he could understand why she didn’t have alcohol.

“You’re... an Atium Ferring?” He asked. Fourty-six years of life, countless searches to the Ghostblood database with a Council Member’s level of clearance, and not once had he seen someone else, like him.

49 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Lusk saw the woman tap the other one’s shoulder, and change to a kid again. It was too solid of a change to be an illusion, it had to be something else.

He was so surprised he hadn’t said anything for a couple minutes. Now he could understand why she didn’t have alcohol.

“You’re... an Atium Ferring?” He asked. Fourty-six years of life, countless searches to the Ghostblood database with a Council Member’s level of clearance, and not once had he seen someone else, like him.

"Why do you sound so surprised?" Freedom said. "It's not like I'm the only one out there."  

22 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“No,” Lusk said. “How many others have you met?”

At first she dismissed the question as foolish. Of course she'd met others, there was no way she hadn't. Then she actually thought about it. None of her close cousins were. All of the Wereds were different Mistings and the other Acutes were composed of a Coinshot, Nicrosil twinborn, and duralumin ferring. The Yins had also been Mistings. Her siblings were all other types of Ferrings. And the majority of her friends didn't even have Investiture. Not a single other atium Ferring as far as she knew.

Rusts, he was right. The closest she'd ever met to someone like her was a Full Feruchemist.

"None, come to think of it," she said softly.

10 minutes ago, Silva said:

“None, come to think of it," she said softly.

“I know,” Lusk said, still surprised. He let go of his Atium tapping for a second and went to his normal old age. Suddenly the large drink in front of him didn’t look so appetising.

“The only other one I’ve met is you. Ever.” He tapped again and went back to his thirties.

7 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“The only other one I’ve met is you. Ever.” He tapped again and went back to his thirties.

Freedom watched him for a moment before turning to stare at her glass of water. She felt herself starting to store away age subconsciously, two years older like normal. 

"You tap to drink?" she asked finally after a moments silence. "Isn't that sort of wasteful?"

2 minutes ago, Silva said:

"You tap to drink?" she asked finally after a moments silence. "Isn't that sort of wasteful?"

Lusk smiled slightly. “Fortunately, being a Council Member gives me just enough Atium to fund these wasteful habits.”

He saw her store away age to be older. That was the thing with Atium. You didn’t appear older or look older. You were older. With all of the pros and cons.

“What do you use it for?” He said, taking another sip of his drink.

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

"So you can change your age?"

Lena asked, interrupting the conversation, and not caring that it was probably impolite.

"You can get older and younger?”

Lusk turned his head to the lady. She seemed to know the Atium Ferring. The other Atium Ferring. The thought still surprised him.

“Yes,” he said, tapping more and shrinking to a teenager. His arms went thin, his face became younger and his hair became black again. Suddenly the clothes were a bit big. He crossed his arms. “To pretty much any age. Why?”

Edited by I think I am here.

15 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Yes,” he said, tapping more and shrinking to a teenager. His arms went thin, his face became younger and his hair became black again. Suddenly the clothes were a bit big. He crossed his arms. “To pretty much any age. Why?”

"It's cool. Really cool."

Lena answered, envy colouring her voice.

"Does it also change how you think, is it like a jump back in time?"

56 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"It's cool. Really cool."

Lena answered, envy colouring her voice.

"Does it also change how you think, is it like a jump back in time?"

“No one’s ever said it’s cool before,” Lusk said and then frowned. Just a few years older and he wouldn’t have had the self pity. He’d have kept the thought to himself. “And it does change how you think a bit. And some cases a bit more than a bit. But you can fight against it so no biggie.”

48 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“No one’s ever said it’s cool before,” Lusk said and then frowned. Just a few years older and he wouldn’t have had the self pity. He’d have kept the thought to himself. “And it does change how you think a bit. And some cases a bit more than a bit. But you can fight against it so no biggie.”

Lena emptied her glass and pushed it away. Drink another one, or stop? She already felt lightheaded, if she went on, she would end up completely drunk.

"It is cool. If you're in a tight spot you can change your age and stop thinking about your problems. That's brilliant. You can have a moment to breathe, to collect youself, think about the issue from a different point of view, find a solution and then execute it."

"You're your like your own taskforce. I wish I could-"

Lena stopped herself. She had already drunk too much. She was babbling.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Lena emptied her glass and pushed it away. Drink another one, or stop? She already felt lightheaded, if she went on, she would end up completely drunk.

"It is cool. If you're in a tight spot you can change your age and stop thinking about your problems. That's brilliant. You can have a moment to breathe, to collect youself, think about the issue from a different point of view, find a solution and then execute it."

"You're your like your own taskforce. I wish I could-"

Lena stopped herself. She had already drunk too much. She was babbling.

Lusk hadn’t thought of it like that. His own taskforce of different ages?

“It is a lot less fancy than that,” Lusk said, aging to his twenties, Arrogance permeated him. “But, I mean, I appreciate it. What were you saying about coolness again? Do you want another drink?” He asked. “I can buy it.”

Lena and the man had struck up a conversation, leaving Freedom free to think about what he'd asked her. 

Have you ever thought about... using it for combat?

No. She never had. Investiture and fighting had always been seperate in her education. But what if they weren't mutually exclusive? What if they could work hand in hand?

She thought about the peaceful Synod village Pry had shown her. Trouble never followed Feruchemy there because there was no violence connected to it. If she mixed the two, it might stop that for herself as well.

You idiot. Freedom thought. Trouble's already followed you. What else do you call last year?

Memories began to rise up, but she forced them back down. She wouldn't have a panic attack here. 

Freedom took a sip of water.

28 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“It is a lot less fancy than that,” Lusk said, aging to his twenties, Arrogance permeated him. “But, I mean, I appreciate it. What were you saying about coolness again? Do you want another drink?” He asked. “I can buy it.”

"Sure."

Lena replied smiling. She wouldn't say no to a free drink.

"It's only less fancy, if you decide that it should be boring. It's all about presentation and appearance. If you make it fancy, it's fancy."

1 minute ago, Sorana said:

"Sure."

Lena replied smiling. She wouldn't say no to a free drink.

"It's only less fancy, if you decide that it should be boring. It's all about presentation and appearance. If you make it fancy, it's fancy."

“The only thing fancy about it,” Lusk said as he signalled the barkeep. “Is that we probably use the most expensive material in the would to do it.”

He gave another eighth of Atium to the bartender and gestured to Lena. “Give her, like, some sort of whiskey or whatever.” He turned back to her.

“Well, at least you think it’s fancy,” he said, taking another sip of his drink. “What would you do with it?”

4 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Well, at least you think it’s fancy,” he said, taking another sip of his drink. “What would you do with it?”

"Forget some things."

She replied instantly and then smiled when she thought of something else.

"Turn older and ruin my parents company, without them knowing that it's me."

She played with her empty glass and added.

"Ask my older self for advice, trick some people into giving me money. Get cheap into a museum."

Lena paused, realized how much she had indirectly told him.

"What do you use it for?"

She asked, hoping he wouldn't ask anything about her replies.

20 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Lush eyed her drink. “You really gotta start drinking,” he said. “I mean, you can be older, so why not drink now? Hell, I’ll even buy it for you.”

Freedom gave him a glare. A girl had every right to enjoy being young while she actually was, even if she could be older. Besides, she had tried to drink once and didn't understand the allure. All it did was taste nasty, make you feel funny, cost more, and give you bad breath. Nothing good.  She was perfectly fine without.

"Lovely to meet you Lita dear." Laurelai said as she slowly surveyed the room once more. "Of course sometimes duty can be a little burdensome, but let it never be said that I would shirk it. Sometimes I just need to take a little break."

She gave a small chuckle as her gaze settled on Lita once more.

I should have worn something a little fancier than this. I could still change it i suppose but then that might be a tad obvious.

She took another sip as she examined the other woman.

Well, might as well try to dig out a little more.

"Now you said you were looking for work? What kind of work were you interested in?"
@ZincAboutIt

1 hour ago, Silva said:

Freedom gave him a glare. A girl had every right to enjoy being young while she actually was, even if she could be older. Besides, she had tried to drink once and didn't understand the allure. All it did was taste nasty, make you feel funny, cost more, and give you bad breath. Nothing good.  She was perfectly fine without.

Seeing Freedom glare at Lusk after he offered to buy her a drink, she smiled at her.

"Drinking is overrated."

With a glance at her empty glass she added:

"But then it has it's perks as well."