The Chat Thread

Archer

All good, just want to emphasize the point, it can be a lot to put on somebody and I'd rather no one found this to be more of a chore than a fun leisure activity, at the end of the day we're all here to have fun so try not to put unnecessary pressure on anyone.

This applies to other players too, a reminder that people are waiting on someone's character is up next in a thread is all fine but spamming someone until they post somewhere isn't something that should be happening. If you think someone may have genuinely forgotten something it's fine but don't try to annoy people into posting faster.

Hey so it has come to my attention that we don't really have a set style for what the Alleycity looks like or what its culture and level of technology is. 

A while ago we voted as a community to make sure that this RP stayed a fantasy one, and not a science fiction one, but we never really figured out what that meant. Some people may like to have modern day technology in the RP, but others may like a more medieval fantasy setting.

So I would like to pose a couple of questions to the RP:

The first is, what do you think should be considered Science Fiction, and thus absolutely not allowed in the RP?

Second, what is the level of technology you think the alleyverse/city should be at? Do you think that up to modern day is fine? Only allowing up to Era 2 Scadrial tech? Is everything in the RP fine so long as it is based off of magic in some way? What are your guys' thoughts?

Third, should this be homogeneous for the alleycity and for the entire planet? Should the entire planet have flying cars and cellphones? Or just the tech developers in the cities?

If you have any other questions about this that you wan't clarified, please ask them here.

Edited by MacThorstenson

1. I think that anything beyond our current level of tech, or our level or technology in 5 years should be considered Science fiction. After that point, we cannot make accurate enough predictions for me to feel comfortable with having them in the rp. The only form of Sci-Fi I am comfortable with at the moment is Warhammer, and that is only because Grey Knight has extensively worldbuilt them out enough to be balanced.

2. My personal belief is that Alleycity is at the technology level of a modern day city, and that much of the surrounding area is similar. I think enough technology has leaked through from the various Earths that it is feasible for this to happen.

3. I think that it should not be homogenous. One of the more interesting parts of the rp is the interaction between modern tech and older weapons, and making it homogenous would greatly reduce those opportunities.

1. I think anything that we do not know that we will have in the next 5-10 years should not be allowed, except for WH40K, because that's just awesome. Unless of course it is done by advanced things from BS, or their magic. So, pretty much what Snipexe said.
  2. I think it should be all over the place. Have gover cars, but be aon/gas lit. Hae running water and planning, but no subways. All over the place, mixed up.
  3. I agree with Snipexe.

3 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

The first is, what do you think should be considered Science Fiction, and thus absolutely not allowed in the RP?

Second, what is the level of technology you think the alleyverse/city should be at? Do you think that up to modern day is fine? Only allowing up to Era 2 Scadrial tech? Is everything in the RP fine so long as it is based off of magic in some way? What are your guys' thoughts?

Third, should this be homogeneous for the alleycity and for the entire planet? Should the entire planet have flying cars and cellphones? Or just the tech developers in the cities?

1. Anything beyond our current level of technology.

2. Yes, I think up to modern day is fine. I imagined some kind of mixture. A fringe but then you wear cloths from Scadrial and have the street lamps from MB Era 2. I'm fine with anything, as long as it has a good reason. If that means me have investiture powered cellphones, that works for me.

3. I'd love it if we had some kind of "technology" areas in the cities and then villages that look completely different. What we also could think of is, how the different cultures interact with the worl.d If there's a village where mostly people of Sel live, or if we have quarters that are more influenced by scadrian architecture.

So if we're talking about technology, what about cloths or culture? If I'm the only one interested in that, just tell me, but some Alleyverse related holiday or something unique to Alleycity would be cool to have.

Edited by Sorana

1. Anything beyond our current tech level.

2. I've pictured it as medieval for the most part with a bit of Scadrial era 2 mixed in. In my mind the line between tech and magic would be blurry to them. So no cars but there would be guns and spanreeds instead of cellphones.

3. ...... A happy mix! No two places the same.

I would like to mention the the Alleys themselves are already shown to have resources at their disposal that would firmly fall under the sci fi jurisdiction, blending both science and magic. While the greater Alleycity and even planet may have more regressive tech, Denizens are going to have access to more advanced stuff. This can be mostly confined to the Alleys though, should the larger rp want the setting to be more fantasy focused.

10 minutes ago, JacobClaessen said:

So I see everyone saying 'no cellphones', but what about Reckonerverse mobiles?

Ironically, Reckonerverse mobiles would likely be completely unusable, given that they rely on a central server in the Reckonerverse that can't be replicated.
Other mobiles should be able to construct their own cell towers, etc. though. Or use fabrial tech.

9 hours ago, Voidus said:

Ironically, Reckonerverse mobiles would likely be completely unusable, given that they rely on a central server in the Reckonerverse that can't be replicated.
Other mobiles should be able to construct their own cell towers, etc. though. Or use fabrial tech.

True. Spanreeds would be the most logical.

13 hours ago, Voidus said:

Or you could break logic like Dusk!