The Chat Thread

Archer

5 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

You literally just explained why he'd want to do it. *insert winky face emoji*

If that is the actual reason, I will kill him. I'm serious, but I don't mean actual murder. I mean, I would be angry enough to do so, but have enough self control not to do so.

11 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Please don’t shout. It comes across wrongly in text.

................sorry?

WARING: EMOTIONAL INFORMATION. SKIP IF IT WILL MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE I apologize for the outburst. It is just, not only doesn't Ark move the vote from 10 to 8 to 10 to 9 which is a much worse fro me, I just have a lot riding on the Jackal, emotionally. I almost quit for good when the Halo aspects of the Precursors were revoked, kind of because of the Jackal. The Jackal started as a Halo Jackal pirate. He was the only survivor of 1,000 Jackals who went through the Spartan program. That is really all you need to know about that. I had plans for him, I really wanted to do him, and then Halo got blocked. I almost broke down. I stopped myself, and came up with The Jackal, which is where the name comes from. To lose this one as well would leave me with no where else to go, and I do see a way out. Add that with personal issues that none of you want to hear about, and I really need to see a therapist about, and this just seems like a dark hole that if I fall into, I can't get back out of. I know it doesn't affect me in real life, but the Shard is my only real escape from real life, and The Jackal is the main part of me getting back up to a stale emotional state. If I lose him, I won't have anything else to do, and everything that I have worked for will collapse, and I am very unhappy with Ark for changing his mind to be completely against what I need so much. Thank you for caring enough to read this.

46 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Without him I have no plans for era 3 and I have no reason to continue doing this! I only became active again when I went inactive because I came up with him! EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE PLANNED IN THE ALLEYVERSE FOR AN ENTIRE ERA HINGES ON HIM! WHY WOULD YOU, A PERSON WHO IS MY FRIEND IRL GO AGAINST THAT!? IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU!

Alright, this feels like a bit of an overreaction. I think if you apply a few simple nerfs to the Jackal, he can become much more balanced. The following is a potential rewrite, that while nerfing him in several areas, keeps the core of his skills.

He has a mask that enhances his physical attributes +45 M

I think if you changed this from being pewter leveled, you could make this on par with someone who has spent several years training in various different physical areas. This lets you transfer magical points to skill points, and also lets you balance him more.

appears to enhance his senses, +35 M

I think if you maybe changed this to one or two specific senses (say vision or smell) you could decrease the overall magic points, while keeping the intended effect of enhancing his senses.

enhances his response time a startling degree, +30 M

I think you could change this to a physical skill, and explain more on how much his reactions are enhanced. If it’s within (although with a few years of training) natural levels, then I think it is reasonable to combine this with the above physical training. If it is beyond natural levels, then I would suggest bringing it down to normal levels.

allows him to radiate fear, +35M

allows him to radiate darkness, +20M 

I would honestly just cut these out entirely. They cost valuable magic points, where they could be used for his more vital powers, and they appear to be vital the core of the character.

stop and reverse age, +30 M

Is this really nessesary? If it is, the leave it, but if it isn’t, then I would take it out. It won’t have a noticeable effect on rp, assuming that you aren’t planning on doing this character for hundreds of years, and aging allows character growth, which can be useful, and help build a better backstory.

jump incredibly high, (counting as part of the first)

As long as you leave this as part of the first portion, making it more skillfully high then incredibly, then this doesn’t require points

and to fill anyone who looks into the glowing red eyes of the mask with a burning hot hatred, and rage. +35 M

This is also not nessesary for the overall character.

He also has the surge of division, but this is a lot weaker, and come from a void spren trapped in a crystal on the forehead of the mask. +45 M (considering it a Surge Fabrial

This is fine. At this point you could keep a normal level of division, and I think it would remain balanced.

So this new is the new Jackal based on my suggestions:

Has trained for several years, leading to enhanced, but still human, physical abilities, including increased jump height. +40 Points S(Skilled Level)

2 Enhanced Senses +15-30 M points depending on which points are chosen

Reaction time is skilled, so I’m going to go with roughly +25S

Division (How will this be powered?) +80 M points

This version ends up with 65 S points, and 110 M points. This leaves you with the ability to add one of the powers I suggest cutting out. Overall, what this should be is a Jackal that is slightly less overpowered, but still technically has an edge over an average citizen in combat. I personally feel this is much more balanced, and would support this character, as long as they rp’d with the nerfs included.

Edited by Snipexe

56 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

I think if you maybe changed this to one or two specific senses (say vision or smell) you could decrease the overall magic points, while keeping the intended effect of enhancing his senses.

Ummm... The small problem with this is that he is a tin compounder. I never intended to actually use it to this degree, and it was really just him using a bare minimum, so he can sense stuff. Just to explain, he cannot show anyone any clues to his identity. I know I should have mentioned this before, but I forgot to and I didn't expect anyone to point system it.

Is this really nessesary? If it is, the leave it, but if it isn’t, then I would take it out. It won’t have a noticeable effect on rp, assuming that you aren’t planning on doing this character for hundreds of years, and aging allows character growth, which can be useful, and help build a better backstory.

It is. He is over 60 years old.

This is also not nessesary for the overall character.

He has a voidspren in a gemstone in his helmet. That is also how he powers the division surge. To define the power fo the surge, if he presses his hand to someones face, he sends a surge through their head, destroying their head, and he can blow up a thin wall.

I think you could change this to a physical skill, and explain more on how much his reactions are enhanced. If it’s within (although with a few years of training) natural levels, then I think it is reasonable to combine this with the above physical training. If it is beyond natural levels, then I would suggest bringing it down to normal levels.

I don't think this was increased that much, but it was increased beyond natural levels.

You also forgot the staff, and you didn't remove the weaknesses. Here's what I have if I follow this stuff,

Tin Compounder +100 M

Division +45m

Reaction time +30m

Physical Attributes +5m +25sk (He is incredibly strong normally, and the mask assists him)

Rage +45m

Staff +20sk

Actual Skill +50sk

Political Skill +15sk

Armor +10 sk

Personnel Rage -20

Mask That Grants his Powers Meaning Removable -60

Likes to Play with his Food, Meaning he will Refrain from Finishing his Enemy off, if he can Practically do so, to Lengthen their Suffering(I decided to add a few more weaknesses as without the mask, he is still a tin compounder) -15

Incredibly nearsighted without his tin -30

Bad at, well, being a good person. This means that he will shun people, and will generally not make them like him -20

While he can predict the movements of his main enemy, he fails at predicting third parties, which allows him to be surprised(Thrawn Syndrome) -15

Which collects up to, in my opinion, with all the weaknesses, 100m 100sk. Which means I need a set weakness that removes roughly 50 points, that doesn't compromise the character. Any ideas?

Thanks dude. Really.

Edited by Darth Woodrack

I don’t think there are many weaknesses that go over 50, let alone 70.

Maybe trauma? If he sees a specific something he’s incapacited? It can’t be a rare something otherwise it won’t Ben much of a weakness.

Maybe he’s got some sort of weakness to some magic? Maybe magic healing doesn’t work as well on him, or maybe he’s vulnerable to emotional Allomancy. 

You could always do a variety of extra weaknesses, like say he can’t use guns (for ptsd), or maybe he has a specific code, that even though he is a villain there are certain people who he finds it immoral to kill. He could also struggle with technology, as he is from an earlier time. In situations without the mask, his personality could be off putting, leading to him being very recognizable when he is everyday situations.

Also, on the tin compounding. It seems, to say the least, excessive to have him be a tin compounder. I bet you could make do with the same results by having him be a powerful tin burner, or a Ferring. The amount of sensing that tin compounding would be insane, like well beyond what Spook at the end of HOA was like.

Doing that for one simple reason: it saves me the fifty, and spares forty five, allowing me to remove the nearsightedness, and allow him to have a fifteen pint weakness, such as being a savant. I think that's a weakness. Boom.

Tin Misting +35 M

Division +45m

Reaction time +30m

Physical Attributes +5m +25sk (He is incredibly strong normally, and the mask assists him)

Rage +45m

Staff +20sk

Actual Skill +50sk

Political Skill +15sk

Armor +10 sk

Personnel Rage -20

Likes to Play with his Food, Meaning he will Refrain from Finishing his Enemy off, if he can Practically do so, to Lengthen their Suffering(I decided to add a few more weaknesses as without the mask, he is still a tin compounder) -15

He is a tin savant -15

Bad at, well, being a good person. This means that he will shun people, and will generally not make them like him -20

While he can predict the movements of his main enemy, he fails at predicting third parties, which allows him to be surprised(Thrawn Syndrome) -15

Which collects up to, in my opinion, with all the weaknesses, 100m 50sk. 

I retract my request for community approval. He should be fine now. Thanks guys, you're the best!

Edited by Darth Woodrack

Okay, here's the Jackals current points, with a new weakness, jist in case I'm overestimating a weakness. I know I should be doing this in the Alleyverse character thread, but I would liek to resolve it here. @Archer? Is he good for character hood?

Spoiler

Tin Misting +35 M

Division +45m

Reaction time +30m

Rage +45m

Staff +20sk

Actual Skill +50sk

Political Skill +15sk

Armor +10 sk

Personnel Rage -20

He is a tin savant -15

He cannot work for someone. He can suck up, and make someone think he works for them, but only if he is also plotting their downfall. -10

Which collects up to, in my opinion, with all the weaknesses, 95m 45sk. 

11 hours ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Doing that for one simple reason: it saves me the fifty, and spares forty five, allowing me to remove the nearsightedness, and allow him to have a fifteen pint weakness, such as being a savant. I think that's a weakness. Boom.

Tin Misting +35 M

Division +45m

Reaction time +30m

Rage +45m

Staff +20sk

Actual Skill +50sk

Political Skill +15sk

Armor +10 sk

Personnel Rage -20

He is a tin savant -15

Which collects up to, in my opinion, with all the weaknesses, 100m 50sk. 

I retract my request for community approval. He should be fine now. Thanks guys, you're the best!

I personally think that you've overestimated the weakness points. That isn't worth minus 60, anger issues aren't worth minus twenty. All your weaknesses are over the top for subtractions, and Tin savant is arguably helpful.

That is ok! @#Voidapple I am Hoid! And I always support things and people! The Jackal can't be worse than the time I supported the plan to shatter Adonalsium. That.....may have been a slight mistake in judgement on my part, but if I didn't support it I wouldn't have known it wasn't a bad idea! So goooo Jackal!

A few things. 

1. I'm not looking fro your approval Ark. I am looking for Archers approval.
  2. Being a tin savant wasn't helpful to Spook, now was it?
  3. I would think that having the thing were your powers come from being removable would be a very significant weakness.
  4. You used to wrong list. I added another weakness to help with the difference in opinion.
  5. I would think that being filled with a deep burning hatred that leads to control issues, would be a good weakness, as he as trouble stopping hurting someone, and he explodes to small things. He can barely control his desire to kill everyone around him.
  6. Thrawn syndrome is a serious weakness, as it got Thrawn, the greatest non robotic tactical mind in Sci-Fi and fantasy, to my knowledge, killed.
  7. I don't think I overestimated any of the weaknesses, at least not by much. Sure, he can work on his own, and be a good individual, but he will be hunted by a large group, that probably won't fall apart. If he pushes everyone away, he could be taken down by a group, and he won't have plot armor that time. Sure, his political skill would help him, but all these handicaps would be a severe disadvantage. So, hi not being able to be genuine and make actual friends, for a multitude of reasons, is a very significant weakness.
  8. Okay, so, why do you even care? It won't affect you, and all you're doing is saying, 'he can't have a character who might be one or two points over the limit,' while I know for a fact you still have a near full power Hellbent stashed away somewhere, and you can't wait to pull him out. It just seems incredibly hypocritical, and I don't see your argument, at all.

@#Voidapple

Edited by Darth Woodrack