[OB] Oathbringer chapters 16-18

Mestiv

A small thought but I don't remember anyone else mentioning it.

Vedekar Perel was killed in the first (known) copy-cat murder. I would bet that Adolin blames himself for the death, partially. ie he would know that he hadn't killed Vedekar Perel but would likely believe that if he hadn't killed Sadeas then perhaps Vedekar Perel wouldn't have died.

Maybe we'll see inside Adolin's head soon to get an idea. It would help explain why he's working hard on the case.

Edited by kari-no-sugata

@SLNC

"Yes, Regrowth can heal a soul and regrow the connection between a soul and it's body. "

I apologize, but do we know this for sure? Gawk's Spirit truly detached? Brain death takes a while. If true... MASSIVE argument for Fabrials only mimic Surges. We still have not seen but half the types of Radiants, and bare glimpses at Full Radiants.

Sorry for terrible formatting. 

@MoS03

When a Shardblade (or an Honorblade, which is what the spren imitate) cuts a living person, it doesn't cut on the Physical Realm, but rather severs the Spiritweb, the Spiritual aspect of a person. Regrowth can reattach the Spiritweb to the person.

On 10/4/2017 at 9:04 PM, maxal said:

Actually, Adolin is the one who gulped down his wine during the date and had a second serving (which he was not allowed to have). Shallan, as far as I can remember, stuck to one glass. Apart from this scene, I do not remember seeing Shallan drink most. In comparison, Adolin is often seen drinking, even before duels and this isn't to speak of Elhokar. I mean the only ones we have never seen drinking are Dalinar and Renarin... but we know Renari likes wine.

Before this scene, I never thought Shallan was the drinking character. Elhokar clearly comes across as a drunk in the becoming and Adolin drinks to calm his nerves which is never a good idea.

I really had to respond to this - all indications are that DALINAR had a VERY unhealthy relationship with alcohol. And alcoholism can be hereditary...

15 minutes ago, MoS03 said:

@SLNC

Book not with me. While I knew that, I thought Gawx had a regular knife to his throat?

When do we see the Regrowth from a Radiant heal a Shardblade cut?

IIRC we haven't, but we did see Nalan use a regrowth fabrial on Szeth.

Besides, we know that Kaladin can use stormlight to heal from shardblade wounds, it wouldn't make sense if the more powerful version of such couldn't.

14 minutes ago, Emerald101 said:

Besides, we know that Kaladin can use stormlight to heal from shardblade wounds, it wouldn't make sense if the more powerful version of such couldn't.

In the new version of WoR though, Szeth didn't have any shardblade wounds.  He fell into the storm rather than being cut. 

That said, I do agree with you. Regrowth should be able to do it if just holding Stormlight can.

50 minutes ago, Emerald101 said:

True, true! I'd forgotten that while WoR was edited, the original version is still Cosmere canon as far as Realmatics.

Ignore me!

15 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I really had to respond to this - all indications are that DALINAR had a VERY unhealthy relationship with alcohol. And alcoholism can be hereditary...

young dalinar was a man of extremes, alchool too. but in a flashback (release in Unfettered II, and probably the next flashback we will see in the preview chapter) i think the abuse of alchool was done for another matter.

"Navani smiled at him. There wasn’t enough wine in the world to prepare him for the gaze behind the smile, so piercing, so appraising."

to be drunk to the point to forget the only woman he truly loved, to denial the truth before his brother and his wife.

5 hours ago, Fulminato said:

young dalinar was a man of extremes, alchool too. but in a flashback (release in Unfettered II, and probably the next flashback we will see in the preview chapter) i think the abuse of alchool was done for another matter.

Hide contents

"Navani smiled at him. There wasn’t enough wine in the world to prepare him for the gaze behind the smile, so piercing, so appraising."

to be drunk to the point to forget the only woman he truly loved, to denial the truth before his brother and his wife.

That... is a perfect example of an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Drinking to excess in order to forget or suppress something unpleasant. If done frequently it is substance abuse. Should the behavior continue it can develop into substance dependence. When someone is dependent on a substance to fulfill a physical or psychological need we call this addiction. 

Young Dalinar DEFINATELY abused alcohol. I need more information before I can determine addiction.

Addiction has three parts: Psychological, Biological and the substance. Different people react differently.

With regard to depression: I HIGHLY doubt Brandon was talking about ALL depression. Depression has many manifestations and not all are related to personality. For example, pre and postpartum depression are not related to personality. I believe Cosmere healing could work in those cases. There are also major depressive episodes, which may occur occasionally many years apart. Then there is Asymptomatic depression which can disappear if something good happens, only to return. Not to mention a depressed affect, which is not depression but can resemble it. That isn't even bringing up Depressive Psychosis, and I would not consider DELUSIONS a part of a personality. Internalizing those delusions CAN make them a part of the personality.

Even major depressive disorder is inconsistent. Some have it for long periods even, like Kaladin, developing Persistant Depressive Dissorder where they always have it, in which case it may well become part of their personality. Others may have years during which they are not depressed, only for the depression to return for a time before leaving again. Those may see depression as an illness.

(Note that Kalladin also has SAD, which makes his PDD worse. He was also exhibiting symptoms of depressive psychosis during WoR; however Kaladin has internalized those delusions to a great extent due to lack of treatment; they are now part of his personality.)

And depression has two components: Biological and psychological. The bio aspect is when the depression is caused by biochemical imbalance; psychological is caused by a person's history, personality, and many other factors unique to the individual. Medication addresses the biological aspect; therapy addresses the psychological. 

My suspicion is the Healing would cure the biochemistry issue, but not the psychological one. However the lack of a biochemical imbalance would make it easier for an individual to manage their depression. In cases where the whole of their depression is caused by biological factors (such as pre and postpartum depression) my belief is healing would cure it - because there is no personality aspect involved. 

2 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

This would be so much easier for me if they moved it to 00.01. Then wake up, read, read shard, work all day. With this time its, wake up, watch time, watch time, watch time, read, read shard, day gone. -_-

Same here but obviously there's not one timezone that works for everyone. The weekly highstorm does disrupt work a bit but that's our responsibility really.

Anyway, chapter predictions for this week: next Dalinar flashback, probably a real Dalinar chapter where we'll see how he reacts to regaining his memories and either a short Kaladin chapter (living with the not-so-Voidbringers) or a Shallan chapter (maybe the Ghostbloods will call after she used their mark, or maybe she'll be discussing her findings with Adolin, or maybe she'll visit the Kholins and get a surprise due to Dalinar's recent collapse)