Scriptorian

My personal thoughts on these Glimpses (please note that I haven't read all of the comments on this forum, so forgive me if I've stepped on any toes):

Warning: Long post with some possible WoR spoilers.

1."Thirty-eight days," Renarin read. "The end of all nations."

This, along with a certain troller, *cough*PeterAhlstrom*cough,* have me quite convinced that Renarin is a woman (sorry Feather). Then again, said troller could be trolling, so I'm not quite sure on this. I think that this is on the same 'deadline' as the wall writings in Dalinar's room.

2. She felt and heard the storm approach. The ground shook, the air roared. Bits of leaves swept across her in a chill gust, like scouts before an oncoming army that charged behind, the howling wind its battle cry.

I personally think that this is a woman who has been in battle, because of the simile, but I do not agree that it is Eshonai, otherwise Brandon would not have said "battle cry." So my belief is this is either a female Herald, Syl, or Renarin. or Jasnah? Also the leaves, probably not the plains (despite the small forest, it just seems less likely). If it is Jasnah, perhaps the suspense at the end of a certain Shallan chapter in WoR was the storm approaching was a surprise Highstorm?

3. In places, it flashed with light from behind, revealing movement and shadows within. Like the skeleton of a hand when light illuminated the flesh, there was something inside that wall of destruction.

I agree with others on this; Kaladin POV, talking about the Listeners using stormform.

4. Of fires that burned and yet they were gone. Of heat he could feel when others felt not. Of screams his own that nobody heard. Of torture sublime, for life it meant.

My first thought was Szeth, but after reading it more and looking at your guys' responces, I agree that this is Taln. What I really want to know is: what is it of? Are there any more in his list that aren't here?

5. Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you know longer hide behind the name of your old master?

No idea, other than it has something do do with Hoid. Could 'gemstone' be the element from his letter?

6. "He thinks you're a god. You shouldn't encourage him."

"Why not,  I am a god."

I am almost certain that this is Syl talking to Kaladin. I have to wonder what he's up to, have no clue. 

7. HE COMES FOR YOU, LITTLE TRAITOR. I AM SORRY.

My first thought here is Kaladin POV in one of his visions. Remember those? He had . But I also have an idea that this is another Teft POV (we know he is a traitor too) and it is no stretch to believe that someone is coming for him for what he did that resulted in the death of his family and the [Evesages or something, can't remember].

8. "It's not a big deal. Dalinar Kholin is friends with one of the worst murderers I've met. So? Dalinar is lighteyed, he's probably friends with a lot of murderers."

I don't quite understand the structure here. But this is defiantly Kaladin talking about Amaram, but what is the 'big deal' they are talking about, and who is he talking to?

9. The woman's skin had hardened to something like stone, smooth, with fine cracks. It was as if the person were a living statue.

Hmmmmm... Dalinar using his powers for the first time? Or is this woman a voidbringer? If she was familiar to the POV, they would not have called her 'woman.'

10. "What do you do if the hand is festering, threatening the entire body? Do you wait and hope it gets better, or do you act?"

I am quite certain this is a Kaladin POV, but that might just be what they want us to think, after all, it is a quite well known thing to practically anyone. I wonder if it is Kaladin trying to convince Dalinar of something? Perhaps the festering hand is Amaram? Although I have to admit, no matter how much hate this will bring me, Amaram is a good guy.

11. Dalinar knelt beneath a fracturing sky, holding his son.

I don't think that his son in this is Adolin or Renarin, otherwise it would be sheltering. On second thought, they might be dead. Perhaps Navani and Dalinar have a son, and this book takes a lot longer that the 62 days? I seem to remember something Hoid said in his letter, that the 'very pillars of the sky may break due to our quest' or something along those lines. Related?

12. "Prince Renarin, would you kindly slay this rock for me?"

I hope to Harmony that whoever said this isn't talking about Rock (the character). probably not, but still. I wonder if they are talking about a Thunderclast or a Voidbringer here? This must be before Renarin reveals her true gender. Unless we find out in a POV.

13. "Stupid move, putting yourself in my hands. Everyone knows I like to set things on fire ans watch them burn."

Sadeas.

14. The souls of the people he had murdered lurked in the shadows. They whispered to him. If he drew close, they screamed.

Either Szeth or Amaram. But where in Damnation are they? Is it in a dream?

15. Pattern buzzed, speaking in a new voice, interpreting the sphere's words. "I am stick," he said. He sounded satisfied.

I love Pattern. Probably more that I love Syl. Does anyone else imagine his voice as a Dalek? Anyway, the sphere spoke...Nope, no ideas.

16. "I knew it. When we have this figured out, the king of all Herdaz, he will say to me, 'Lopen, you are glowing, and this is impressive. But you can also fly. For this, you may marry my daughter.'"

Ahh, Lopen.... Figure what out though? This makes me fairly certain that Bridge 4 has gotten KR powers as well. Notice that Lopen didn't mention his lack of an arm, as he did in the WoR chapter. This brings back another question: Can you regrow limbs with the use of Stormlight? Hmmmmm...

17. As if the darkness itselft had come alive, something wrapped around her.

It pulled her farther into the deep.

No idea. Shallan POV?

18. Adolin screamed something raw, a sound that echoed in his helm. He ignored the shouts of soldiers, the sound of rain, the sudden and unnatural crack behind him. He ran to the body on the ground.

I think this is Adolin finding Dalinar's dead or greatly injured body on the battlefield. Thunderclast behind him.

19.He had his wrist wrapped, and the bruises on his face were starting to purple. They made him look slightly less intoxicatingly handsome, though there was a rugged "I punched a lot of people today" quality to that, which was fetching in its own right.

I don't know, guys. Your guess is as good as mine. Probably better.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

damnation been out all night only just seen it!

My guess it's Shallan pining over another guy, i don't care who it is "I punched a lot of people today" just makes me thankful it's not another Ardent. 

*Edit* Wait wait wait if this is Adolin bruised i hope Kal did it in a epic brawl  B)  

Edited by WEZ313

This would be a sad place to die. A place away from the wind.

Possibly describing Shinovar? Because it's protected from Highstorms?

OR

Maybe Sly describing somewhere, the chasms perhaps?

Edited by Duskshard

Syl dying that would be sad, In true she dying you be the second worst death behind only of Kaladin's death. 

By the way that this was written it give me the impression of she talking about someone else dying.

If this as part of her last words she would she "This is are a bad place do die" and not "this would be" =)

If she die Kaladin will loose his powers and Roshar will loose the last Windrunner, because she are unique.

And well, Brandon can't kill everyone in this book someone must survive =) 

Edited by Natans

Syl dying that would be sad, In true she dying you be the second worst death behind only of Kaladin's death. 

By the way that this was written it give me the impression of she talking about someone else dying.

If this as part of her last words she would she "This is are a bad place do die" and not "this would be" =)

If she die Kaladin will loose his powers and Roshar will loose the last Windrunner, becuase she are unique.

And wel,l Brandon can kill everyone in this book someone must survive =) 

Totally agree sir!

G.R.R.M is the serial character killer, thankfully Brandon Sanderson is not as heartless haha.

damnation i never pick up those little things ! 'This would be' you are right!! thank god!

Upvote ;)

Edited by WEZ313

In the off chance that Syl die, he can still use his powers if he got a honourblade.

But I sure hope it's not her. she's one of the most funny and witty character in the book and I'd hate to lose her.

A poor trade in my opinnion Syl against a Honorblade.

Honorblades are tools Syl are like your bestbud, but I agree. Kaladin could take Szeth blade and use it in the right way, because Szeth honor give him only a fraction of a honorblade true power.

I believe that the true power of a honor Blades would only appear in the hand of a person that have the right attribute.

If you are "wise and careful"  you wouldn't be able to use the "Windrunner Blade". Szeth crazy honor give him only part of the power like the partial power that the First Ideal gived to Kal.

This would explain way a Szeth weapon aren't crazy poweful as it should.

Also this would explain why the Heralds dropped their weapons they kind lost the hability to use ir because of their desertion. And of course this would explain Nalan/Darkness "Just" actions he are following his nature in a perverted way (Killing potential radiants that comitted crimes)  =)

Edited by Natans

There have been some theories that the Parshendi use spren for new forms.  Is it possible this is from the viewpoint of one of them in Stormform (requires a windspren?) that is dying or viewing the dead?  Though I think the idea of it being Syl's words about someone else to be very plausible as well.

I sincerely doubt that Kaladin or Syl will die as all of the reviews I've seen are positive saying it's great, I feel like at least one person who wrote a spoiler-free review would have said they were mad or didnt like it if one of these two died.

Also.... WHY ISN'T THE BOOK HERE YET?!?!?! (I may be going insane)

Edited by Fric

If Syl dies, wouldn't Kaladin keep his powers, or does the bond leave? I can't remember if there was evidence to the contrary.

The best "evidence" would be Daliara vision of the Recreance Day, when the Radiants droppped their blades and Dalinar felt like "something are screaming".

If the this particluar theory are correct. The Radiants weapons and armors that stopped to shine and the pseudo-screams are a indication of the nahel bond being cut. They breaked their bonds with the spren and that made the weapons and them loose their powers =)

If Eshonai turns into stormform, this could be her PoV when she has trouble controlling her new self, may be accidentally going in the wrong direction where no storms exist at the moment and perhaps in her stormform she can only move with the winds..

My first instinct to today's was "Whoever you are narrating this, whatever you do, DON'T BLINK!  Blink and you are dead!"

It would explain Hoid. He's the Meddling Monk. Or the Sixth Doctor.

And since we don't know all of Davros's name for certain he might in fact be Yarvelling Rayse Davros. :)