Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

Was supposed to start work nearly a month ago now, still haven't heard when I actually start. And we were kind of relying on the money in order to move when our current lease expires. Also for like food and stuff I guess but hey, who needs food?
<_<

My Monday thus far:

Step One:  Get to work.  Realize I left laptop at home.  Since said laptop is also my regular work computer, this is problems.

Step Two:  Go home.  Get laptop.  Go back to work.

Step Three:  Get to work to find a crisis in progress.  Oh, boy!  Still working on solving said crisis.  Or rather, I am waiting on a callback from a person with another company so that I can obtain information on how best to solve the crisis.

Step Four:  Getting a headache.  Realize that some of the weird visual things going on in my right eye means this headache is a migraine.  YAY.

Luckily, my migraines are pretty mild in the grand scheme of things.  Still, I'm kind of wishing that I had taken something better than acetaminophen because all that's going to do is take the edge off.  Ibuprofen would have been better; naproxen would have been ideal.  Now I have to wait about 4-6 hours before correcting my mistake.

My Monday thus far:

Step One:  Get to work.  Realize I left laptop at home.  Since said laptop is also my regular work computer, this is problems.

Step Two:  Go home.  Get laptop.  Go back to work.

Step Three:  Get to work to find a crisis in progress.  Oh, boy!  Still working on solving said crisis.  Or rather, I am waiting on a callback from a person with another company so that I can obtain information on how best to solve the crisis.

Step Four:  Getting a headache.  Realize that some of the weird visual things going on in my right eye means this headache is a migraine.  YAY.

Luckily, my migraines are pretty mild in the grand scheme of things.  Still, I'm kind of wishing that I had taken something better than acetaminophen because all that's going to do is take the edge off.  Ibuprofen would have been better; naproxen would have been ideal.  Now I have to wait about 4-6 hours before correcting my mistake.

Out of curiosity what kind of aura do you get with your migraines? I get little sunspot like things in one eye usually.

Out of curiosity what kind of aura do you get with your migraines? I get little sunspot like things in one eye usually.

Yeah, that's what I usually get.  This one is actually pretty minor, and it was just a minute or two of a single spot.  The harsher ones can actually send a scattering of spots that last fifteen minutes or so, but it's almost always just in one eye.

I'm just glad I don't get them like my mom does.  If she gets a migraine, she's completely out of commission for 24-48 hours.

Yeah, that's what I usually get.  This one is actually pretty minor, and it was just a minute or two of a single spot.  The harsher ones can actually send a scattering of spots that last fifteen minutes or so, but it's almost always just in one eye.

I'm just glad I don't get them like my mom does.  If she gets a migraine, she's completely out of commission for 24-48 hours.

Mine were pretty bad during high school but they mellowed out a lot after that, because I guess my brain thought it would be nice to give me a break from them if it was going to start giving me cluster headaches instead.  <_<

Mine were pretty bad during high school but they mellowed out a lot after that, because I guess my brain thought it would be nice to give me a break from them if it was going to start giving me cluster headaches instead.  <_<

Heh.  How nice of it.  :rolleyes:

I never got them until I hit my 20's.  By contrast, my mom had her first one when she was 7, so there appears to be some correlation between how early you get them and how severe they can be.  When I had my first one, she was kind of flabbergasted that I was able to pop an ibuprofen and be functional again in a half hour. 

Heh.  How nice of it.  :rolleyes:

I never got them until I hit my 20's.  By contrast, my mom had her first one when she was 7, so there appears to be some correlation between how early you get them and how severe they can be.  When I had my first one, she was kind of flabbergasted that I was able to pop an ibuprofen and be functional again in a half hour. 

I was probably around 9 my first one, my parents refused to believe someone that young could have a migraine so I mostly had to make do with paracetamol which didn't help at all. Once I could actually use it ibuprofen did work some wonders though, although it set a dangerous precedent since I probably took more than I should have. When I first started getting clusters I must have downed over a dozen trying to get rid of it. Pain makes you do stupid things sometimes.  :unsure:

Everyone in my family gets them but me!

Now watch, I'm going to get them because Murphy is a chull.

How old are you (Roughly)? As Kaymyth said it does take a while for some peoples to start. They're kind of evil like that.  :(

I was probably around 9 my first one, my parents refused to believe someone that young could have a migraine so I mostly had to make do with paracetamol which didn't help at all. Once I could actually use it ibuprofen did work some wonders though, although it set a dangerous precedent since I probably took more than I should have. When I first started getting clusters I must have downed over a dozen trying to get rid of it. Pain makes you do stupid things sometimes.  :unsure:

Aleve (naproxen sodium) works best for me, and ibuprofen comes in a close second.  Which is kind of a problem, because I'm technically discouraged from taking either of them due to my ulcer history.  But I think I've got that under control and I'd much rather take the meds that work, thanks, especially since my body is so weird about painkillers.  I have some...really strange genetics and most heavy-duty medications are about as effective as sugar pills on me.

Early thirties. Both of my siblings (brother and sister) started getting them in high school, so based on that I could be long overdue for one!

You're probably OK, but keep an eye out for any major hormone shifts.  That's what happened to me - my body changed up its baseline hormone levels in my mid-20s and made me more susceptible to migraines.

Aleve (naproxen sodium) works best for me, and ibuprofen comes in a close second.  Which is kind of a problem, because I'm technically discouraged from taking either of them due to my ulcer history.  But I think I've got that under control and I'd much rather take the meds that work, thanks, especially since my body is so weird about painkillers.  I have some...really strange genetics and most heavy-duty medications are about as effective as sugar pills on me.

You're probably OK, but keep an eye out for any major hormone shifts.  That's what happened to me - my body changed up its baseline hormone levels in my mid-20s and made me more susceptible to migraines.

I can't take either anymore because of drug interactions with my cluster meds I might get Serotonin syndrome and die. But as I said I don't get them anywhere near as badly anymore so I don't need it that often at least.

Painkillers generally work pretty well for me, though with the notable exception of my clusters which I can take morphine for and not notice any difference at all.  <_<

I can't take either anymore because of drug interactions with my cluster meds I might get Serotonin syndrome and die. But as I said I don't get them anywhere near as badly anymore so I don't need it that often at least.

Painkillers generally work pretty well for me, though with the notable exception of my clusters which I can take morphine for and not notice any difference at all.  <_<

Heh.  Yeah, morphine does absolutely nothing for me.  I learned this when I was in the hospital recovering from my gallbladder removal surgery.  Then they sent me home with Percocet and it also did nothing.

Then I called my dad and complained and he said, "Oh, yeah, the entire family's like that.  None of us can take opiates."

Thanks, Dad.  Couldn't you maybe have told me this BEFORE I went in for major abdominal surgery?  :angry::(:rolleyes:

I've had two migraines before, both in high school. They tend to start with a small sunspot like you guys said, then I get nausea and, both times end up just taking a 6 hour nap and then being fine. If I don't take a nap, the nausea gets to the point where I'm in the bathroom for quite a while...

Well, after reading y'all's migraine horror stories, my bad day doesn't seem so bad now...

Last night I was about to go to bed but couldn't find my cell phone, which I use as an alarm clock. So I spent a storming hour and a half searching for it, with no success. By this point it was 1:30 am and everyone else in the house had gone to bed, so I couldn't call my phone to find it by following the ringtone because 1) I had no other phone to call it with, 2) even if I had another phone, it's kind of hard to complete this task alone, and 3) I probably would've woken everyone up. So I messed around with my boombox, trying to figure out if it had an alarm function I could use. No such luck. Then I remembered there was an alarm clock/radio in the kitchen, so I grabbed that and fiddled around with it until I thought I had it set to wake me up at my usual time for 9am class. (I'm in college.)

I went to bed, thinking that I could function without my phone for one day. When I woke up (on my own, mind you, not because of the alarm) and looked over at the clock, it was 10:30 and I had no chance of making it to any of my classes on time, since my last one started at 11am. Storming useless cremhole alarm clock. My grandpa and I eventually managed to find my phone by calling it. It had somehow ended up under my office chair in just the right position so that it was impossible to see from a standing position anywhere in the room. I'm still really mad that I missed all my classes today of all days, because it was the last day of regular class for Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes before finals this semester, and I was supposed to a presentation for extra credit in one of them.

I've had two migraines before, both in high school. They tend to start with a small sunspot like you guys said, then I get nausea and, both times end up just taking a 6 hour nap and then being fine. If I don't take a nap, the nausea gets to the point where I'm in the bathroom for quite a while...

I could never sleep through mine, lying down makes the nausea worse for me, I just have to sit in a dark room with my head between my legs and a bucket in case I do actually throw up.

From my university to my home it's a long trip - usually around an hour. But today I got lucky, as all the buses aligned perfectly and I made it in 35 minutes (lifetime record). It was around 11:30 am, so I thought I could nap for few hours... except I realized I left my keys at home. The classical irony, my keys are locked in the house, like 5 meters away and I can't reach it :|
I called around to find somebody else with the keys. My parents told me that I wouldn't be able reach them at work (reasons, details unimportant). My sister got a key. One way trip to her university took me an hour and a half. The worst part is that have I checked whether I have keys before I've gone home, I could have just go to her and fetch the keys much faster as our universities are like fifteen minutes apart.

So I wasted 3 hours what could have been avoided if I a) hadn't had forgotten the keys in the first place b ) wasn't so used to having keys all the time I would have checked. Eh.

Edited by Oversleep

Heh.  Yeah, morphine does absolutely nothing for me.  I learned this when I was in the hospital recovering from my gallbladder removal surgery.  Then they sent me home with Percocet and it also did nothing.

Then I called my dad and complained and he said, "Oh, yeah, the entire family's like that.  None of us can take opiates."

Thanks, Dad.  Couldn't you maybe have told me this BEFORE I went in for major abdominal surgery?  :angry::(:rolleyes:

Isn't it a proven fact that gingers take more medicine to sedate than other people?

Isn't it a proven fact that gingers take more medicine to sedate than other people?

Yes; redheads are more resistant to anesthetic than average.

However, I'm not (naturally) a pure redhead - I have a blonde and a red gene fighting for dominance.  So while I do seem to come out of general anesthesia pretty quickly and don't have the day-long lingering effects that a lot of people do, I don't possess the same level of resistance that a full ginger does.

And in this case, my resistance to opiate medications is somewhat weirder and not tied to the red hair gene at all.  It runs in the family, yes, but not concurrently with the recessive red.  And it's not just a resistance, really - it's a complete immunity.  I don't get the painkilling effects and I don't get the "high" from it.  About all I do seem to get is a lowering of my metabolic rate that slows down my breathing and gives me sleep apnea.  (So yeah, when they gave it to me in the hospital, I got no pain relief and the sudden inability to fall asleep properly.  So I couldn't even escape it that way.  It wasn't until I got home and took a dose of Aleve that I got any sort of pain relief at all.)

But see, my dad's side of the family has a lot of trouble with wibbly joints.  My ankles like to pop on me when I jar them by running, and knees are twitchy enough that I've stopped wearing heels entirely.

I have a first cousin whose daughter has a genetic condition known as Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, the biggest hallmark of which is joint hypermobility.  One of the weirder comorbid conditions with this disease is a complete immunity to opiates.  So...while I don't believe that I or most of my other relatives actually have full-blown Ehlers-Danlos, I do think we carry enough of the genetic markers/potential that our joints are kind of messed up and we picked up the oddball drug immunity alongside it.

This is actually one of the reasons why I'm more or less OK with not having kids.  There's a very good chance that James carries the potential for developing rheumatoid arthritis; both is dad and brother have been diagnosed with it in the last few years, and it's generally inherited.  I'm scared that he's going to develop it himself one of these days.  I'm also scared that I may someday develop some sort of chronic, painful condition and there's not going to be anything I can take that will help.  But neither of those things are half as scary as thinking about a hypothetical kid of mine having a high chance of inheriting a debilitatingly painful joint condition that would completely destroy his or her quality of life with little hope of any real pain relief available.

:o that is horrible :(

I'm so sorry.

Eh.  It's not that bad.  It's not like I usually need to take anything more heavy-duty than Aleve anyway.  :P

In retrospect, the time I went into the ER with severe ulcer pain had its more humorous moments when I explained to the doc that he couldn't give me any narcotics and why.  He looked a bit confused.

There are some heavy-duty things that I can be prescribed, but they generally don't like giving those to asthmatics, so it has to be pretty dire.