Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

Note to everyone who calls IT: If an operator tells you at the start of your call to quickly try restarting, do not lie and say you've done it if you haven't because if an hour and a half later after exhausting every other option they then need to remotely restart it for you to be sure and suddenly everything works, they will burn with a seething hatred and judge you for all eternity.  :angry:

Note to everyone who calls IT: If an operator tells you at the start of your call to quickly try restarting, do not lie and say you've done it if you haven't because if an hour and a half later after exhausting every other option they then need to remotely restart it for you to be sure and suddenly everything works, they will burn with a seething hatred and judge you for all eternity.  :angry:

Better yet: Before calling IT, try turning it off and on again. If problems persist then call IT. 

Have you seen the xkcd Tech Support Cheat Sheet

Over the next two weeks, I will take four AP tests. The first is on Monday. The next is on my birthday. The next two are on the same day.

I currently have very little under my belt in the way of experiences that could be defined as "panic attacks" and, so long as I suppress my fear, I don't foresee my adding another to the list.

I don't know...should I just let go, get it all over with before I'm in the first test?

It's usually much healthier to experience and work through negative emotions rather than suppressing them. Talk yourself through what exactly is scaring you and how you can make that better. The more concrete and less nebulous fear is, the easier it usually is to deal with.

Edited by Delightful

Better yet: Before calling IT, try turning it off and on again. If problems persist then call IT. 

Have you seen the xkcd Tech Support Cheat Sheet

Yeah about 80% of problems can be resolved by restarting or clearing a cache. And yet every single time you say it people say that it doesn't work and inevitably it does indeed work because of that.

Also, don't tell a service desk that they need to take care of something urgently, just saying you need it urgently won't actually get anything done faster, we have directions for what to take care of and in what order.

Over the next two weeks, I will take four AP tests. The first is on Monday. The next is on my birthday. The next two are on the same day.

I currently have very little under my belt in the way of experiences that could be defined as "panic attacks" and, so long as I suppress my fear, I don't foresee my adding another to the list.

I don't know...should I just let go, get it all over with before I'm in the first test?

I've got four AP tests too, plus the SAT. The only ones I'm really worried about are AP Phys and AP Micro Econ. I think I'll do okay on Human Geography, and I could rock Macro Econ.

I've got four AP tests too, plus the SAT. The only ones I'm really worried about are AP Phys and AP Micro Econ. I think I'll do okay on Human Geography, and I could rock Macro Econ.

You two can do it! I made it through a year of 5 APs and two evening college courses, you can get through this too! Believe in yourself, trust your instincts, and DO A BARREL RO-...I mean BRING A NUMBER TWO PENCIL!

And always remember that it's just a test (well, four of them), and not doing well does not mean your life will be garbage. Worst case scenario, your $90 (or however much they cost) in the hole and need to take the courses (or similar ones) again in college. No big deal.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Yeah about 80% of problems can be resolved by restarting or clearing a cache. And yet every single time you say it people say that it doesn't work and inevitably it does indeed work because of that.

Also, don't tell a service desk that they need to take care of something urgently, just saying you need it urgently won't actually get anything done faster, we have directions for what to take care of and in what order.

Are you internal techsupport for a company, or is it possibly I might call you up one day if I need help with something? Not that I do calls... Much prefer sending an email, or live chat. Or I'd just research my own problem... Do you reckon you'd have tech support lines on Sel with people ringing up about their stamps not working?  I mean, soul stamps are programming, right? Hmmm... Soulstamp operating systems? I want to know what a modern day Sel would look like...

Are you internal techsupport for a company, or is it possibly I might call you up one day if I need help with something? Not that I do calls... Much prefer sending an email, or live chat. Or I'd just research my own problem... Do you reckon you'd have tech support lines on Sel with people ringing up about their stamps not working?  I mean, soul stamps are programming, right? Hmmm... Soulstamp operating systems? I want to know what a modern day Sel would look like...

We've seen Stamps that link to other stamps so I do think that's possible in the future, I'd love to see a Selish tech support in the future spend a half hour trying to fix someones problem before they find out that they've moved to Elantris recently and that's why their Soulstamp isn't working :P

Luckily I'm only internal, internal people get frustrated enough. I'd hate to see what it was like if they weren't supposed to be trying to be professional about it.

Luckily I'm only internal, internal people get frustrated enough. I'd hate to see what it was like if they weren't supposed to be trying to be professional about it.

Yup. That's what I do, customer facing support for a...very large computer company. Fortunately I'm in the chat support side now, where they can't actually yell at us, but they sure did on the phone, and it's very rare for them to even attempt to be professional. It's scary sometimes, especially some of the international ones.

jW

It's been a while since I checked my grades. I wonder what they could be....

*Checks*

:o:(

Much lower than my tests have been indicating. Failing one, close to failing a couple others. Don't know why. After finding this out, spent ten minutes beating wood against concrete like Shallan's dad. Help.

Say you are a tech guy pulling a customized report for someone else in your company.  You are having trouble getting the data to make sense.  Do you:

A - ask a supervisor and/or coworker for input?

B - ask the person (me) who requested the report what exactly she needs and if she can help?
C - work on the thing for hours on your own and fight with things and stare at the screen and generally continue to poke things, cluelessly, until the person who requested the report gets antsy because she needs the gorram thing two hours ago and is only just now learning there is a problem because she is bothering you about it?

If you chose C, you might work for Redacted, Inc.

I choose option D- it's not my job to make the data make "sense", so here you go, have fun, I'm going to take a nap :P

See, that would have worked for me!  'Cause I knew more about the data involved than he did and could have taken it from there with no problem.

Say you are a tech guy pulling a customized report for someone else in your company.  You are having trouble getting the data to make sense.  Do you:

A - ask a supervisor and/or coworker for input?

B - ask the person (me) who requested the report what exactly she needs and if she can help?

C - work on the thing for hours on your own and fight with things and stare at the screen and generally continue to poke things, cluelessly, until the person who requested the report gets antsy because she needs the gorram thing two hours ago and is only just now learning there is a problem because she is bothering you about it?

If you chose C, you might work for Redacted, Inc.

I generally have the opposite problem, I'm used to talking to other people with a very pronounced tech background so I have trouble with what exactly is common knowledge about tech issues and what I need to put in more laymen terms which means I occasionally give instructions that people have no idea how to follow. Or I overcompensate and start explaining what a mouse is. :P

I'm sick today and I'm missing this awesome thing at school where we get to role play as Greeks and different polis have different goals to achieve and stuff. Luckily it's longer than a day, but one of the worst things for an Athenian(me) to do is to not be at the polis. Also I really don't like Athena. :angry:

For the record, the plural of polis is poleis. :) Edited by Delightful

I generally have the opposite problem, I'm used to talking to other people with a very pronounced tech background so I have trouble with what exactly is common knowledge about tech issues and what I need to put in more laymen terms which means I occasionally give instructions that people have no idea how to follow. Or I overcompensate and start explaining what a mouse is. :P

Heh.  What happened yesterday wasn't really to do with the tech side of things.  I needed a certain data set of rates from a certain subset of customers, but it wasn't something I could easily pull from the system myself so I requested a special ad hoc report.  IT, of course, really doesn't understand the rates or what they mean, and the guy who was pulling the data was trying to understand something he had no background for.  So he was trying to filter things down into something HE could understand, rather than just giving me the raw data and letting me have at it.

And, you know, sitting there and trying to understand it for hours on end without actually ASKING ME.

Doesn't sound like you were requesting anything with sensitive data, so I don't see what IT had an issue with.

And even if there was, just SQL that shiz to exclude the sensitive columns, excel that hitch and send it over!

Nah, nothing sensitive.  He just couldn't figure out why there were multiple entries for each data point.  (I knew, of course, but did he ask me?  No...)