Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

That….is actually a really clever chapter title. :mellow: 

Sorry that it accurately described your day, though. :wacko: 

Isn't it? :ph34r: 

Thanks. Yeah, I was walking around like a duck or maybe Harold Finch all day. :wacko: 

Edited by Slowswift

Just now, Slowswift said:

Isn't it? :ph34r: 

Thanks. Yeah, I was walking around like a duck or maybe Harold Finch all day. :wacko: 

I'm not a fan of the Inheritance Cycle, but if I was wearing a hat, I'd take it off for Paolini there. :P 

One of these things is not like the others….but neither is the sort of gait a human should have. :mellow: I've heard that a good soak in warm water generously laced with Epsom salts can help blisters. 

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'm not a fan of the Inheritance Cycle, but if I was wearing a hat, I'd take it off for Paolini there. :P 

One of these things is not like the others….but neither is the sort of gait a human should have. :mellow: I've heard that a good soak in warm water generously laced with Epsom salts can help blisters. 

I am, and that title actually makes me want to read them again (for nostalgia purposes. I'm aware that the writing is rather subpar. Also, I can't, 'cause I've got a billion other things to read. :P).

True. :P:mellow: And I'd soak, but I outgrew our tub ages ago.  Thanks, though. :) 

I'm not feeling great about the future.

I'm getting to the point where I have to think seriously about college and what my major will be and career choices and GPA and whatnot and besides it being overwhelming it's kind of scary.

I know what I'd like to do, in an ideal world, but it doesn't pay well and I don't think I'll be able to get to the skill level I need to be at within the one year I have before I need to apply. I honestly don't think I have the capacity to do much anything else, though, which is the problem. I have one sort of backup, which is also a major that doesn't pay and would lead inevitably to teaching high school students who don't care a lick.

I don't want to be stuck for the rest of my life doing something I don't enjoy. I also don't want to dedicate myself to trying for this goal I have when I doubt I can get there in time. It seems like there's no way to win.

I don't know. I'm just stuck in a constant war inside my head between "be practical" and "but what if you can".

@Mistrunner Given a choice between safe but boring and interesting but risky I'd advice going for the risky option. Particularly when you're young I think it's better to try for what you really want to do than to settle for something you know won't ever make you happy. You don't want to spend the next few years wondering if you would have succeeded and wishing you had tried. Worst case scenario if you try is that you fail, which sucks, but you learn a lot on the way. You work a boring job for a while if you need to and then you try again using the experience you gained in your last attempt.

Remember that what you decide to do now isn't setting the course for the entire remainder of your life, just the immediate future. From what I recall our generation is expected to (on average) pursue around 3 (or more) different careers over the course of our lives.

@Mistrunner don't worry, you're not alone in feeling like that. I'm only in year ten, and I already have worries about uni and what course/s do to and what that will lead me to doing in the future...so I can't really give you much advise beyond saying good luck, and that I hope you're always doing something you love.

10 hours ago, Mistrunner said:

I'm getting to the point where I have to think seriously about college and what my major will be and career choices and GPA and whatnot and besides it being overwhelming it's kind of scary.

I know what I'd like to do, in an ideal world, but it doesn't pay well and I don't think I'll be able to get to the skill level I need to be at within the one year I have before I need to apply. I honestly don't think I have the capacity to do much anything else, though, which is the problem. I have one sort of backup, which is also a major that doesn't pay and would lead inevitably to teaching high school students who don't care a lick.

I don't want to be stuck for the rest of my life doing something I don't enjoy. I also don't want to dedicate myself to trying for this goal I have when I doubt I can get there in time. It seems like there's no way to win.

I don't know. I'm just stuck in a constant war inside my head between "be practical" and "but what if you can".

Whether you think you can or can't do something, you're right. Your belief in yourself is crucial when you want to achieve anything. 

@Mistrunner You're getting ready to enter college, correct? Most schools don't require you to declare a major until you're a junior, so you'll have prerequisites to get through before you have to decide what you really want to do. I went into college thinking I'd get a communications major and a journalism minor, but after taking a few journalism classes, I realized that it wasn't really what I wanted to do at all. So I switched to a government minor, took much more interesting classes, and graduated with honors. Even after graduating, it took me getting my first non-customer-service job—the one at the public high school library—to realize that librarianship was what I really wanted to do. 

What I'm saying is, be open to surprises. I was in the same boat as you, thinking that my two options were both low-paying jobs, but eventually learned that there was a job I'd really like with a solid starting salary and room for advancement. Those two options you mentioned might not be the extent of your skill set, or the culmination of your interests. Start out pursuing what you think you'd really enjoy, but remain open to other paths along the way. 

On 15/04/2017 at 6:05 AM, Mistrunner said:

Story of my life. I'm currently at a job that pays the bills and needed no qualification, while I decide if I'm going to study writing or history or something else entirely. I don't have a lot of advice except, life isn't as clear cut and formulaic as expected. 

3 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

:(

Hope you find something else uplifting to do.

I'm almost certainly still going to be able to have lunch with the extended family, so that'll be nice, although that's also exhausting under the best of circumstances.  Fortunately everyone has now come to understand what I'm going through, at least to a degree, so if I need to go lay down on the couch or in a bedroom, no one gives me a hard time.

34 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I'm almost certainly still going to be able to have lunch with the extended family, so that'll be nice, although that's also exhausting under the best of circumstances.  Fortunately everyone has now come to understand what I'm going through, at least to a degree, so if I need to go lay down on the couch or in a bedroom, no one gives me a hard time.

Oh, good. Nice that they understand! :) 

2 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

So, before the holidays started, I did a maths test, and I got 69%. I'm going to redo it after the holidays (school starts next week on Wednesday), and I'm kinda stressing out over it.
Hugs?

*hugs* I know how stressful school can get. Good luck with everything!

10 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

So, before the holidays started, I did a maths test, and I got 69%. I'm going to redo it after the holidays (school starts next week on Wednesday), and I'm kinda stressing out over it.
Hugs?

*hugs*

Would cute photos of Lil Bub also help?

58f42fa5a9015_LilBub_.jpg.32d323f0190dfdbe21cc0579b0c04eb4.jpg

58f42fa692572_LilBubYuleLog.thumb.jpg.db84965e7bb599d73c263c057629e975.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to follow my stupid dreams and if that means ending up sitting on a street corner reciting sad poetry and playing melancholy tuba music for money, so be it. :P

6 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

Hugs?

Hugs!

1 minute ago, Mistrunner said:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to follow my stupid dreams and if that means ending up sitting on a street corner reciting sad poetry and playing melancholy tuba music for money, so be it. :P

Hugs!

I would totally donate to a tuba busker.

5 hours ago, A Budgie said:

Hugs?

*hugs* (*knows he's late)

That was me the last term....cept I got 21% because I wasn't in the best of mental health lmao. I was stressing a tonne about that, but I redid the exam and passed with full marks. Deep breaths, and keep a straight head (unlike me :P ) and you'll do fine :) 

------------

Last night was eehhhhh, dad flipped again, lots of yelling and crap and I lost alot of the writing I had been doing thanks to him pulling the cord to the family computer out >>, then I went upstairs only to listen to my family as they looked through some of the photography I had done over the past couple of days (And I had been really proud of some of the photos too :/). I'm alot better now but I felt the need to update you guys on my situation *shrugs.  

I did some more writing and made a little sequence story thing instead of sleeping, so that helped a tonne (I'll share them soon :)

30 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

*hugs* (*knows he's late)

That was me the last term....cept I got 21% because I wasn't in the best of mental health lmao. I was stressing a tonne about that, but I redid the exam and passed with full marks. Deep breaths, and keep a straight head (unlike me :P ) and you'll do fine :) 

------------

Last night was eehhhhh, dad flipped again, lots of yelling and crap and I lost alot of the writing I had been doing thanks to him pulling the cord to the family computer out >>, then I went upstairs only to listen to my family as they looked through some of the photography I had done over the past couple of days (And I had been really proud of some of the photos too :/). I'm alot better now but I felt the need to update you guys on my situation *shrugs.  

I did some more writing and made a little sequence story thing instead of sleeping, so that helped a tonne (I'll share them soon :)

Were you using Google when doing the writing?