Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

On 4/14/2017 at 10:05 PM, Mistrunner said:

I'm not feeling great about the future.

I'm getting to the point where I have to think seriously about college and what my major will be and career choices and GPA and whatnot and besides it being overwhelming it's kind of scary.

I know what I'd like to do, in an ideal world, but it doesn't pay well and I don't think I'll be able to get to the skill level I need to be at within the one year I have before I need to apply. I honestly don't think I have the capacity to do much anything else, though, which is the problem. I have one sort of backup, which is also a major that doesn't pay and would lead inevitably to teaching high school students who don't care a lick.

I don't want to be stuck for the rest of my life doing something I don't enjoy. I also don't want to dedicate myself to trying for this goal I have when I doubt I can get there in time. It seems like there's no way to win.

I don't know. I'm just stuck in a constant war inside my head between "be practical" and "but what if you can".

I had this exact same feeling when I was in high school. I went to college for a bit as an English major because I'm a decent writer, and it turned out that the path I was on would lead me towards being a teacher, which I didn't want to do. I decided to take a break from school, and now that it's been a few years, I'm ready to go back and study something that probably won't land me a high-paying job, but the knowledge alone will be priceless to me.

The point is, there's no right or wrong way to do things. I felt like a failure for a long time because I didn't finish school right away, but I realize now that I only felt that way because I was comparing myself to everyone around me, rather than accepting that I can make my own path. 

Also, if you choose something and then realize that it's not what you wanted, there's nothing stopping you from going back to learn something else. It's never harmful to be more educated.

On 4/14/2017 at 11:05 PM, Mistrunner said:

I'm not feeling great about the future.

I'm getting to the point where I have to think seriously about college and what my major will be and career choices and GPA and whatnot and besides it being overwhelming it's kind of scary.

I know what I'd like to do, in an ideal world, but it doesn't pay well and I don't think I'll be able to get to the skill level I need to be at within the one year I have before I need to apply. I honestly don't think I have the capacity to do much anything else, though, which is the problem. I have one sort of backup, which is also a major that doesn't pay and would lead inevitably to teaching high school students who don't care a lick.

I don't want to be stuck for the rest of my life doing something I don't enjoy. I also don't want to dedicate myself to trying for this goal I have when I doubt I can get there in time. It seems like there's no way to win.

I don't know. I'm just stuck in a constant war inside my head between "be practical" and "but what if you can".

Then choose something you are good at with decent employment possibilities and pursue your dream career as a side line. If your side line ever becomes big enough and/or secure enough, then you can make the big jump. Your life doesn't stop after your college application: you can always change program and/or go back to studying at a later time in your life. You aren't pigeon-hole into anything.

I think the younger generation puts a lot of pressure onto itself into finding the perfect career, the one they would be absolutely passionate about, but reality is very few people are truly passionate about their job which doesn't mean they don't like them. It merely means sometimes, in life, you have work which revolves around something you are good at and you have your hobbies which usually revolve around your passions. Sometimes the hobby can become the job, but not always.

Thus, I'll advise you choosing the one option which makes you sleep soundly at night. And be open to opportunities which may come your way: you never know. It isn't rare we think one career is the ideal one, as teenagers, only to realize how not right it was for us once we reach adulthood for a variety of reasons.

9 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

While I was in Children's on Saturday, Cute New Girl and Formerly Pushy Coworker developed a nice rapport. 

They are chatting it up and freezing me out. 

Could've called that one. 

*hug*
I'm sorry to hear that. Your workplace seems to be really tough, so I really hope things get better soon.

16 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

While I was in Children's on Saturday, Cute New Girl and Formerly Pushy Coworker developed a nice rapport. 

oh god... that sucks on so many levels...

*hug*

Bleh, I'll need to dig out my old iron maiden now won't I?

12 hours ago, A Budgie said:

*hug*
I'm sorry to hear that. Your workplace seems to be really tough, so I really hope things get better soon.

Thanks. 

And I'm pretty sure I didn't do a very good job hiding the fact I was upset yesterday...so I'm not looking forward to work today. Like, at all. 

Bleh. I'm just going to do my job and keep my head down. 

5 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

*hug*

No....no....hugs are fine.... :P

21 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

*hug*

16 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

*horrible clanking and screaming

"Huh? What...oh..."

*horrible clanking and screeching*

What screaming? I don't know what your talking about  

4 hours ago, Erunion said:

...... And here I thought you were going to grab some Iron Maiden

4 hours ago, A Budgie said:

Well, you could play Iron Maiden while they were in the iron maiden. It could drown out the screaming and clanking.

This whole exchange reminds me of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure:

(Skip to 1:01 in this video)

On 17/04/2017 at 5:03 PM, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

:/

are.....are you sure they're both deliberately freezing you out? :(

how long has Cute Girl been around now? Maybe she'll change her mind about him. I've sure changed my mind about people at work.......

*hugs*

1 minute ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Bleh that sucks >> 

Is there a particular reason they are being petty? Or is that just because they are horrible people?

I messed up on overcomplicated procedure calling in sick yesterday. My boss has a mean streak he conceals as general silliness and he doesnt like me much. And I did also mess up a shift last week. 

just. I AM SICK. LET ME BE. SWAP THE FREAKING SHIFT.

2 minutes ago, Delightful said:

I messed up on overcomplicated procedure calling in sick yesterday. My boss has a mean streak he conceals as general silliness and he doesnt like me much. And I did also mess up a shift last week. 

just. I AM SICK. LET ME BE. SWAP THE FREAKING SHIFT.

Seems like one to hold a grudge>> 

Spew on him.

That'll tell him you're sick.