The Sword of Harmony vs the Son of honor

bmcclure7

2 hours ago, therunner said:

I don't think it is that clear cut (pun intended). Shardblades can damage e.g. spren and those are made of Investiture, so being merely Invested enough does not seem to be sufficient to block the cutting power.
Cutting Radiant holding Stormlight seems to be equally difficult to cutting anyone without it, just that with Stormlight Radiant can heal damage as it is done.

I agree that Honorblades, other Shardblades, aluminum swords would resist. Nightblood obviously, Azure's sword possibly? Nightblood is a lot more Invested and a special case so it is difficult to draw a generalization from him.

However regarding Scadrial, Bands of Mourning are still far less Invested then a Shardblade, so even someone using them would not be Invested enough to resist Shardblade.

I didn’t mean literally resistant to being cut. I just meant how like Kaladin heals himself after being attacked by Szeth as if he’d never been cut. Depending on if spiritual healing is less investiture intensive (my gut says no but I don’t think its been addressed) than physical healing if you have the ability a shardblade is actually less effective than conventional weaponry.

Now that I'd like to see :D
Users are supernaturally good at hiding behind corners (as in, even a corner of table leg is sufficient for them to hide behind), and they can teleport between corners they have in line of sight :D

Maybe get some Midnight Essence like creature to act like Hounds of Tindalos.

I think Shardblade should cut duralumin like anything else, as far as we know duralumin can be effected by Investiture and does not block it, so it should not have any special effect on Shardblade.

What is mentioned in AoL in passing is that only some alloys of Aluminum are allomantically inert like Aluminum is, so those are the ones that would probably interfere also with Shardblade cutting (though possibly to lesser extent? )

Duralumin was just an example since I don’t know off the top of my head other aluminum alloys but yeah the fact AoL apparently mentions it (thanks) is what I was getting at.

20 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I didn’t mean literally resistant to being cut. I just meant how like Kaladin heals himself after being attacked by Szeth as if he’d never been cut. Depending on if spiritual healing is less investiture intensive (my gut says no but I don’t think its been addressed) than physical healing if you have the ability a shardblade is actually less effective than conventional weaponry.

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding then :)
I also don't think spiritual vs physical healing has been addressed exactly, however from some WoBs on Miles and from the way Shardblades are treated I would say spiritual healing is a bit more Investiture invested or at least not less so than physical healing.

And even then Shardblade would still have advantage of one hit kill's when it goes to spine, I don't think that would be healed typically (do we have some examples?).

And finally, being Invested by itself will not grant healing ability, holding a lot of Breaths for example would not help heal wounds.

25 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Maybe get some Midnight Essence like creature to act like Hounds of Tindalos.

:o now that would be creepy

Duralumin was just an example since I don’t know off the top of my head other aluminum alloys but yeah the fact AoL apparently mentions it (thanks) is what I was getting at

Ah, I thought you mentioned Duralumin specifically since it is also Allomantic metal.

Sadly we don't have more information, only that some alloys of aluminum do share the Investiture inertness, and others don't. No information on how many there are, or what is the possible mechanism by which it happens, or if they have lesser effect than pure Aluminum.

But to break the helm you would have to land on average two or three hits in relatively quick succession (so the damage does not heal in the meantime).
If you argue that Coinshots are difficult to hit in general, than I would say hitting just head that is moving at similar or larger speeds is downright impossible, especially in quick succession.

Again, I'm not arguing that it won't be hard to do, it would be extremely hard to do, and Mistborn would fail in the majority of the cases. But this would still be the best way to kill a Radiant, so it's something worth trying, as even 1:100 chances are still better than 0. And I forget, when he breaks the helmet, and cut off his head, he can leech from him. But again. breaking a living Shardplate's helmet would be something extremely unlikely to happen. It can be done, and if it happens in the right moment, under the right circumstances, Mistborn can kill Radiant this way. I do think a Radiant on 4th Ideal will win in 99/100 cases, this is the 1 case when he doesn't.

And on paralysis through duralumin soothing/rioting, I am not sure how long that would work.

Mistborn needs just a few short seconds. All of this has to happen almost at the same time - breaking the helmet, paralysis, decapitation and leeching.

My reasoning is as follows, when Vin did that she pretty much deadened all his feelings, and that persisted even after she stopped actively doing it (as she used Duralumin). However, Radiant holds Stormlight, which has also cognitive effect (namely urge to act, move etc.) So it is possible that this would work as sort of rioting, and after Duralumin soothing ends, this would rouse Radiant back to action as a form of 'rioting'.
Do you think that would make sense?

Kind of, it might work like that. But Mistborn can also riot, and can riot with duralumin feelings of fear, guilt, depression, sadness, cowardness etc, which would still cause paralysis. Kaladin was paralyzed few times without emotional allomancy, and Stormlight didn't help him to move or riot his emotions at all.

I think a mistborn with iron fuerochemistry could beat a 3rd ideal windrunner (if they are skilled enough to push off of trace metals, if not invested materials). The main reason a mistborn would loose to a gravitation user is the fact that pushing back on them counts as pushing on a braced item. However, mistborn that can compound weight should be able to fling gravitated metals around regularly. Now, I don't know that wax could do it, but if we take a below-average E1 mistborn with iron compounding and wax's skill in F-iron and E2 weaponry vs a windrunrunner, I have to say it is going to be a 10% O0, O1, O2, 30% O3, and 80% to O4.

The windrunner can set up a no-fly zone by using lashings and reverse lashings very easily, but it wouldn't be as comprehensive as Kel's. Meanwhile, the mistborn can move in relation to the flying bits of material, and chromium can stop you from being full lashed against your will. Copper should protect against a reverse lashing from being started, but once it is on F-iron to manipulate momentum will make it difficult to take advantage of a reverse lashing. They would basically need to RL you to 2 objects to split you, without letting you touch either. To add insult to injury, necrobursting the reverse lashing that powers the no-fly drops it, and the one that pulls their projectiles back to them will have them be in a bull's eye. And that is if they don't use the big gun, or D-burn emotional allomancy.

Once they have a shardblade your F-iron RL tricks don't matter much, only copper to prevent it. Using something akin to an aluminum wiffle ball with iron core or an Iron handled aluminum rolling pin should allow for dynamic projectiles that cannot be cut by the shardblade. The shrapnel from The Big Gun should take them out before it is needed though. You need an aluminum shield to prevent against shardguns or shardbows (real ones, not the fabrial)

Shardplate is what this thread is about, and it's tough. If you use the big gun in succession, it might crack it enough that some shrapnel gets through. The problem is you either need aluminum shrapnel (to prevent healing), or to leech/necroburst the plate, likely multiple times. You might need to D-burn them, though. I wonder if it is possible to hurt someone by necrobursting the plate, but that isn't important in this scenario. The problem with this is the shardblade. A single nick can cause the next leeching to be 20* harder. A hammer has been suggested, but it isn't enough to deal with them before the blade takes you out. If you can manage to compound some armor it should be an easy mistborn win. Some complex armor with metalminds attached to metals that can be push/pulled along tracks or along arms/legs/chest/back should be enough to allow the hammer technique if you have enough or if it is also invested Iron/steel.

23 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I think a mistborn with iron fuerochemistry could beat a 3rd ideal windrunner (if they are skilled enough to push off of trace metals, if not invested materials). The main reason a mistborn would loose to a gravitation user is the fact that pushing back on them counts as pushing on a braced item. However, mistborn that can compound weight should be able to fling gravitated metals around regularly. Now, I don't know that wax could do it, but if we take a below-average E1 mistborn with iron compounding and wax's skill in F-iron and E2 weaponry vs a windrunrunner, I have to say it is going to be a 10% O0, O1, O2, 30% O3, and 80% to O4.

The windrunner can set up a no-fly zone by using lashings and reverse lashings very easily, but it wouldn't be as comprehensive as Kel's. Meanwhile, the mistborn can move in relation to the flying bits of material, and chromium can stop you from being full lashed against your will. Copper should protect against a reverse lashing from being started, but once it is on F-iron to manipulate momentum will make it difficult to take advantage of a reverse lashing. They would basically need to RL you to 2 objects to split you, without letting you touch either. To add insult to injury, necrobursting the reverse lashing that powers the no-fly drops it, and the one that pulls their projectiles back to them will have them be in a bull's eye. And that is if they don't use the big gun, or D-burn emotional allomancy.

Once they have a shardblade your F-iron RL tricks don't matter much, only copper to prevent it. Using something akin to an aluminum wiffle ball with iron core or an Iron handled aluminum rolling pin should allow for dynamic projectiles that cannot be cut by the shardblade. The shrapnel from The Big Gun should take them out before it is needed though. You need an aluminum shield to prevent against shardguns or shardbows (real ones, not the fabrial)

Shardplate is what this thread is about, and it's tough. If you use the big gun in succession, it might crack it enough that some shrapnel gets through. The problem is you either need aluminum shrapnel (to prevent healing), or to leech/necroburst the plate, likely multiple times. You might need to D-burn them, though. I wonder if it is possible to hurt someone by necrobursting the plate, but that isn't important in this scenario. The problem with this is the shardblade. A single nick can cause the next leeching to be 20* harder. A hammer has been suggested, but it isn't enough to deal with them before the blade takes you out. If you can manage to compound some armor it should be an easy mistborn win. Some complex armor with metalminds attached to metals that can be push/pulled along tracks or along arms/legs/chest/back should be enough to allow the hammer technique if you have enough or if it is also invested Iron/steel.

Copper doesn't prevent reverse lashings or Shardblades.

And pushing on trace metals is a matter of power, not skill.

Just now, Frustration said:

Copper doesn't prevent reverse lashings or Shardblades.

And pushing on trace metals is a matter of power, not skill.

I don't doubt the shardblades, but why do you say it wouldn't prevent reverse lashings the same way it prevents emotional allomancy? The targeting realm diffrence? I always assumed someone burning copper was harder to push/pull on than someone burning another metal, and this would be the same concept.

I thought it was either, as Brandon had said any A-S/I could learn to see axi, so why not a lesser extent?

Just now, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I don't doubt the shardblades, but why do you say it wouldn't prevent reverse lashings the same way it prevents emotional allomancy? The targeting realm diffrence? I always assumed someone burning copper was harder to push/pull on than someone burning another metal, and this would be the same concept.

Copper shields only emotional allomancy, it has no effect on any other Allomantic powers.

Surgebinding is pushing around much more power then allomancy typically, so why would copper block physical Surgebinding, if it cannot block even physical Allomancy?

I thought it was either, as Brandon had said any A-S/I could learn to see axi, so why not a lesser extent?

Seeing is a matter of skill/ability, influencing trace metals is another.
All Inquisitors (and Kelsier) can see trace metals, but they cannot push on them because it is beyond their power.

Just now, IlstrawberrySeed said:

We have no indication of them being harder to push or pull on.

And they are confimred to be suceptable to other metalic arts

5 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

like @therunner said, with skill you can see them, but it requires power to push on them.

9 minutes ago, Frustration said:

We have no indication of them being harder to push or pull on.

And they are confimred to be suceptable to other metalic arts

We haven't seen this tested at all - so few people can push on metals piercing/in the body. We have no info on how copper effect something that we've seen 3 times on screen. Also not sure what the second point is.

9 minutes ago, therunner said:

Seeing is a matter of skill/ability, influencing trace metals is another

Interesting. Without being able to push off of the all of the environment, or some specific environments or constraints, the windrunner would such an advantage.

2 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

We haven't seen this tested at all - so few people can push on metals piercing/in the body. We have no info on how copper effect something that we've seen 3 times on screen. Also not sure what the second point is.

Chromium can leech copper.

Therefore it will not resist Reverse Lashings.

And lacking evidence against is not an argument in favor.

12 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Chromium can leech copper.

True, but is that an attribute of copper or chromium?

12 minutes ago, Frustration said:

And lacking evidence against is not an argument in favor.

Also true, but where we have no evidence either way, we just have to choose. Like religion and Nustul's Magic Aura. I am choosing this. Others can disagree, but until there is evidence in either direction or some logic I hadn't thought of, I don't see us agreeing on copper, ponly what happens in each scenario.

If the Mistborn + skimmer doesn't have a way to stop from being reverse lashed, then they loose in the majority of fights, and it becomes all but impossible for them to beat someone with plate, same as if they don't have the trace material abilities or specific concessions on the windrunner's point. Do you agree with this, and with the reverse (If they do, what I said in previous posts)?

Edited by IlstrawberrySeed

28 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Copper is not aluminum. Copper never prevented usage of Allomancy within the cloud, even emotional. Copper only makes you immune to it, and undetectable to bronze. Maybe burning aluminum while you're being lashed by a Windrunner would break the lashing: 

Spoiler

Kurkistan

If you're on Threnody and you get withered by a shade, are you better off burning Allomantic aluminum, or tapping Feruchemical gold?

*laughter*

[clarification on the question]

Brandon Sanderson

They would both work pretty well. I would say if you burned aluminum, that would kind of have the effect that you are wanting it to have, which is the effect-- negating and sucking out, so that's probably safer. But the gold would work, too.

Kurkistan

So would it be fair to describe withering as a kind of cancerous Forging-

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Kurkistan

That just kind of slowly takes over your soul?

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

31 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

There was only one person capable of pushing on trace metals, and that was Lord Ruler, who made himself extremely powerful with the power of Preservation. That's why he could do it. Mistborn is just so far away from it that he can't even dream of pushing on trace metals. And I think even Bands weren't able to do it. 

3 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Also true, but where we have no evidence either way, we just have to choose. Like religion and Nustul's Magic Aura. I am choosing this. Others can disagree, but until there is evidence in either direction or some logic I hadn't thought of, I don't see us agreeing on copper, ponly what happens in each scenario.

You can't choose something that is contradicted by rules and mechanics.

4 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

If the Mistborn + skimmer doesn't have a way to stop from being reverse lashed, then they loose in the majority of fights, and it becomes all but impossible for them to beat someone with plate, same as if they don't have the trace material abilities or specific concessions on the windrunner's point. Do you agree with this, and with the reverse (If they do, what I said in previous posts)?

Yes, he will lose. There is no way around it and we have to accept it.

13 minutes ago, alder24 said:

There was only one person capable of pushing on trace metals

Inquisitors too. And Vin with the mists.

You can't choose something that is contradicted by rules and mechanics.

When the truth is unknown, we must choose one, and test it. That is the scientific method. The only ways to test are theorywork, WoB, and reading. None of those are evidence in either way. All religions are trinary - True, false, or close enough. Nustul's Magic aura is the most popular DnD 5e example. We have the mechanics, but have to interpret them due to being unclear.

Yes, he will lose. There is no way around it and we have to accept it.

Unless you ninja'd my edit, that isn't what I was asking. Wax will loose. I don't think a below average Halfborn would loose given the 2 things I've mentioned. You don't think that the 2 things work, but I don't know what you would think if they did, which is what I was asking.

15 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

No, Inquisitors can't push on trace metals, they can only see them. No Mistborn will just have a power of Mist, because Preservation has a vessel, and they are not connected to Preservation like Vin was.

Inquisitors in many cases are slightly weaker than normal Mistborn because of hemalurgic decay - like Marsh in TFE. 

When the truth is unknown

The truth is known, you’re just rejecting it. Copper disturbs mostly "sensing" abilities. Coppermind:

Copperclouds can also block other uses of Investiture. On Scadrial, this is most commonly seen in its ability to protect the user from emotional Allomancy;[8] protecting others in the cloud's boundaries is very difficult but not impossible.[9] Copperclouds also block other methods of detecting Investiture, such as an Awakener's life sense or a secretspren's ability to sense the use of Investiture.[10][11] Additionally, a coppercloud can interfere with more passive uses of Investiture; for example, it can prevent a singer from attuning a Rhythm and affects how spren act.[12][13]

If there was at least one instance where coppercloud prevented someone from using Allomancy at all, I would agree with you. There was none, because it doesn't work like that.

Unless you ninja'd my edit, that isn't what I was asking. Wax will loose. I don't think a below average Halfborn would loose given the 2 things I've mentioned. You don't think that the 2 things work, but I don't know what you would think if they did, which is what I was asking.

Both of those things doesn't work, because 

1. copper isn't aluminum
  2. Mistborn doesn't have Rashek's power level, nor do they have a barrel of unkeyed Dor to achieve that kind of power
Spoiler

Chris King

Did the Lord Ruler use lerasium to gain his super Allomantic abilities or did he grant that to himself with the Well's power? If he used the bead, does he count as one of the nine original Allomancers that Sazed mentions?

Brandon Sanderson

Excellent question. He did not use the bead. He-- In all of this he granted himself basically, he rebuilt himself to be extremely powerful and he did not use one of the beads.

Chris King interview (Sept. 24, 2013)

Edited by alder24

17 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Inquisitors only see trace metals, they can't push on them.

18 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

When the truth is unknown, we must choose one, and test it. That is the scientific method.

The Scientific method says to accept the Null until proven otherwise.

Null value is, Copper has no effect other than preventing investiture detection, and preventing manipulation via emotional allomancy.

20 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

A skimmer Halfborn would most certainly lose to a 4th ideal Windrunner.

19 hours ago, Frustration said:

A skimmer Halfborn would most certainly lose to a 4th ideal Windrunner.

I agree - the brunt of my argument is on 0th-2nd ideal, with a bit on 3rd. My first post mentions a 80% or 90% win rate for plate.

19 hours ago, Frustration said:

Scientific method

Scientific method isn't statistics - a hypothesis has different rules than a null hypothesis.

19 hours ago, alder24 said:

Both of those things doesn't work

1: I had other options to achieve the same effect.
2: That still goes against what I am asking. I am asking if they have a way (not necessarily copper) to prevent RL on themselves and either trace metal pushing or environmental constraints and concessions on the windrunners part, do you think my estimates are about right?

On 2/9/2023 at 10:33 AM, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Scientific method isn't statistics - a hypothesis has different rules than a null hypothesis.

You do not assume a hypothesis is correct without data. Which we do not have. Therefore we must operate under the assumption that your hypothesis is false.

2: That still goes against what I am asking. I am asking if they have a way (not necessarily copper) to prevent RL on themselves

Aside from maybe covering themselves in aluminum, which renders them basically powerless, no.

either trace metal pushing

Not possible without a massive infusion of power.

Just answer the question If RL were suppressed or banned, and the environment was favorable and projectiles metal, do you agree with my freaking estemations? Of course, the new thoughts of Bendalloy savants change this quite a bit, as they can move at ridiculous speeds. Cadmium and Bendalloy savants can drastically effect how lashings effect them, and lashed material shouldn't deflect as much as bullets. But that shouldn't effect how this fares against oath 4, only oath 0-3. (10% or less for the windrunner if no delayed RL or preventing RLs)

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

You do not assume a hypothesis is correct without data. Which we do not have. Therefore we must operate under the assumption that your hypothesis is false

No assumption that any hypothesis is correct. Yours cannot be assumed true either. Their just options. Others don't agree, and all points from both points are on the table. Just answer the question. I specifically said what I think happens if my hypothesis is wrong, but you haven't (an argument could be made that your the ones assuming that hypothesis is correct).

I can go on a rant about how believing and assuming are different, but I don't think it's really necessary. The quick thing is that assuming is logical (at some level) while belief has more to do when there is a lack of evidence.

4 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Just answer the question If RL were suppressed or banned, and the environment was favorable and projectiles metal, do you agree with my freaking calculations?

1. Ignoring reverse lashings is not conductive to the thread
  2. What calculations?
6 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

No assumption that any hypothesis is correct. Yours cannot be assumed true either. Their just options. Others don't agree, and all points from both points are on the table. Just answer the question. I specifically said what I think happens if my hypothesis is wrong, but you haven't (an argument could be made that your the ones assuming that hypothesis is correct).

I do not have a hypothesis, just known information. Aside from blocking sensing powers and emotional allomancy Copperclouds do nothing that we know. They do not block steel, they do not block Chromium, they do not block Nicrosil, etc.

Therefore there is no reason to assume that they would have any effect on any other magic.

Therefore for the purposes of this thread we must assume that there is no effect as otherwise we enter the realm of hypothetical, and nothing is ever accomplished.

It is not a matter of what I think, merely a matter of neccesity.

25 minutes ago, Frustration said:
  1. Ignoring reverse lashings is not conductive to the thread
  2. What calculations?

I do not have a hypothesis, just known information. Aside from blocking sensing powers and emotional allomancy Copperclouds do nothing that we know. They do not block steel, they do not block Chromium, they do not block Nicrosil, etc.

Therefore there is no reason to assume that they would have any effect on any other magic.

Therefore for the purposes of this thread we must assume that there is no effect as otherwise we enter the realm of hypothetical, and nothing is ever accomplished.

It is not a matter of what I think, merely a matter of neccesity.

2. Wrong word.

3. "there is nothing we don't know" is still a hypothesis.

4. I already said that this was a bit of a tangent because I agree the windrunner is likely to win at 4th oath, but also put out what I thought for 0-3rd oath.

3. "there is nothing we don't know" is still a hypothesis.

And not one that I have proposed.

4. I already said that this was a bit of a tangent because I agree the windrunner is likely to win at 4th oath, but also put out what I thought for 0-3rd oath.

Wrong thread for that

13 minutes ago, Frustration said:

And not one that I have proposed.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

just known information ... Copperclouds do nothing that we know

All I care about right now is wether you think my predictions/estimations (not calculations) are about right given those conditions, and if not, what you think they are.

On 2/8/2023 at 0:43 PM, IlstrawberrySeed said:

10% O0, O1, O2, 30% O3, and 80%

I'd drop O3 to 10% and O0-O2 to 5% if Bendalloy Savant.

1 minute ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

And where did I say we knew everything?

2 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

All I care about right now is wether you think my predictions/estimations (not calculations) are about right given those conditions, and if not, what you think they are.

I'd drop O3 to 10% and O0-O2 to 5% if Bendalloy Savant.

O3 is 100%

Spoiler

Questioner

We've been wondering who would win in a fight, a Mistborn or...a Windrunner.

Brandon Sanderson

It really depends on the situation. I would say the Windrunner will win on a battlefield and the Mistborn will win at sneaking around and slitting people's throats. Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

O2 I'd say probably closer to 50%, O1 30%

There isn't really an oath 0.

And while anchoring Bendalloy bubbles to yourself would allow you to quickly reposition, that's not any different from the Nex-im.

@IlstrawberrySeed If you want to stop RL, use chromium on it, it will leech investiture from it. Use primer cubes charged with chromium or aluminum which will kill it off. Those are the only confirmed ways for a Mistborn to prevent the use of the Surges. We know copper doesn't work like that. There are clear differences between copper and chromium/aluminum. Copper doesn’t even stop the usage of emotional allomancy - you can smooth or riot a target's emotions without even knowing that he is burning copper. Your hypothesis is based on wrong and untrue assumptions. It’s not scientific.

21 minutes ago, Frustration said:

And while anchoring Bendalloy bubbles to yourself would allow you to quickly reposition, that's not any different from the Nex-im.

Just to point out, one Nex-im has like a 7000 year long record of not being killed by the same person twice. Just saying.