Pardon me if I misunderstand, but right now, I see to votes on Aonar (Wyrm and pir2h). I only see a vote on pir2h (Araris). I am merely trying to negate a lynch.

And what if they're not an Eliminator? We would be losing an important player if that was the case. Are you trying to bandwagon me, Tulir? Understandable. I am, after all, an easy target and an erratic player.

I am not trying to bandwagon you.  My post was that just voting for experienced players day one is not a solid strategy.  I will remove my vote on you if it seems like you will be lynched, I was just trying to tie it up.  I apologize if I seemed angry in my last post.

I was going to propose Aaron F. and Aaron R. But there seems to be a military feel to everything; maybe last names would be more appropriate?

...just going by the fact they are experienced shouldn't protect them.  Yes they would be a huge asset to the Villagers if they were good, but it is also likely that experienced players are Eliminators.

My post was that just voting for experienced players day one is not a solid strategy.

I'm a little confused here. Maybe I'm reading the first post wrong, but it sounds like it's leaning towards lynching experienced players, not away. Could you clarify?

Also, I'll put an information vote on
 Will, who has yet to post.

Chase laughed dryly at the other people in camp. "You think it is me because I am not afraid to make the first accusation? I am not a coward. If everyone trusts Roddy, then I guess I will too." Chase walked away, tossing her purple chalk from hand to hand. She turned her head and smirked at the crowd, who murmured uneasily. Chase knew how to act. Act like you're confidant and people would respect you. Human psychology. Chase knew it, and she made use of it.

I was going to propose Aaron F. and Aaron R. But there seems to be a military feel to everything; maybe last names would be more appropriate?

I'm a little confused here. Maybe I'm reading the first post wrong, but it sounds like it's leaning towards lynching experienced players, not away. Could you clarify?

Looking back at the way I ended this sentence, "Yes they would be a huge asset to the Villagers if they were good, but it is also likely that experienced players are Eliminators" I see that I wasn't very clear.  Let me try again:  Voting for experienced players just because they are experienced is not a solid strategy, because even though they would be really useful to the Eliminators, it is far more likely that they are Villagers, where they would be a great benefit to our side.  I think that got it across better.  I was just trying to say that experience shouldn't be the first quality to look for in a lynching, and I apologize for muddling that message up with a confusing sentence.

Edited by Tulir

pir2h voted for Ashiok, who is Aaron Roddy. Aonar is just plain Aaron. I propose that we call Ashiok "Roddy" from this point to deconfuse things.

Ah. That explains everything. I'll retract my vote for pir2h.

I'm going to put my Vote on Jain. He's never been Evil yet, and lately, whenever he's good, he rants on about never being Evil. He hasn't done that yet.

Last time I did that, I won the Semi-Weiry.  <_< But yes, once again, 8 GAMES IN A ROW (9 if you count MR1), I am on team good.

We really need a voting graph.

Aonar: Wyrm

Roddy: pir2h Jain

pir2h: Araris

Jain: Tulir, Joe

Will: Twei

Two votes on me. Could you retract your vote, Tulir?

Edit: Updated list

Edited by Lightsworn Panda

So, we have at most 4 forgotten, and probably 1-2 sentries. So 4-1=3 we should probably have 4 or more lines of warding. The forgotten will likely use lines of vigor, so it wouldn't hurt to have even 7 lines of warding. If we pick 10 people to draw lines of warding, and somehow pick 3 forgotten then we should be safe anyways. Also, erring towards a smaller number could be useful since we could get a pool of people that would have to contain a forgotten. Anywho, I will volunteer myself to draw a line of warding. (it can't hurt to color code these, so I propose orange)

The wet, soggy soil, as soft as mud and saturated from the ferocious storm, was perfect for digging. It offered up almost no resistance as Dig drove his shovel down into the earth. The sound of the spade scraping across the damp, gritty sediment was satisfying music to his ears. When the command had come through the small group to 'hunker down and dig in for defenses', this is what Dig assumed. Some form of digging.

He snapped out of his mantra and perked his head up as he heard somebody call out his name, using the reason of his digging of being suspicious.  Dig nearly had a moment of panic.

Does he know? There's no way --  he cut off. Oh yeah. Trapped behind enemy lines, murderers, traitors and Forgotten most likely hiding in their ranks. That 's what the accusation was for. Of course nobody here could know about his secret plan for trying to dig a hole through the center earth and to the other side.

He had always wondered what would be down there.

He of course had been too busy digging holes to have paid too much attention to everybody around him, but he knew before the end of the night he would have to check in with something. But until then, he would continue to do what he did best.

"Dig a hole, dig a hole." He smiled.  He once heard that somewhere there was a mythical place called Camp Green Lake, where people were allowed to dig holes all day long. How wonderful that would be!

OOC: Well nice to see the game getting off to a nice start! I'll be back on later to get a vote and discussion of in-thread activity so far, but right now I just have a few questions, I think.

What does 'The Stack' look like for this game? What are the Order of Actions? How would multiple Lines of Vigor work? Say player A hits player B with a Line of  Vigor, but Player C hits players A with a Line of Vigor also. Who all gets their actions cancelled?

Does the Non-Rithmatist chose what Advanced Rithmatics skill their target gets, or does that person get both? What happens if they target a non-Rithmatist to teach?

Is this game 'Role-Madness'? Where we can assume everybody has roles? Or would that be a PAFO? (Play and Find Out)

Also, a completely out-of-game question. Thinking about it, with lines of warding being able to be drawn and everything, and on a flat surface..... Just how awesome would a Rithmatist Tower Defense Game be? O.o

Also, a completely out-of-game question. Thinking about it, with lines of warding being able to be drawn and everything, and on a flat surface..... Just how awesome would a Rithmatist Tower Defense Game be? O.o 

...That would be fantastic.  I really want to see this now.

Right, so I've found some time to post now, and find myself at a bit of a loss as to what to do. My lists and charts have been made, and some people have begun throwing around suspicions, but nothing really has actually happened. 

I'm thinking about throwing a vote for Meta, simply because he's been around and commented on things, but really hasn't contributed a whole ton to the discussion.

Aaron knelt on the ground beside his tent, slowly sketching out the complex pattern of lines of the Taylor Defence, making certain that it was large enough for his tent to fit inside. The concentric nine-pointers were a pain, but this close to Nebrask, he felt it was better to be safe than sorry. It seemed just his luck that it was this platoon that would be infiltrated by Forgotten. I guess the universe does have some sense of justice after all.

Shut it. I've got enough to deal with right now. With the bulk of the defence complete, Aaron set to work binding dozens of simple chalklings to the outer bindpoints. Nothings special, just simple figures wielding a variety of weaponry. They're talking about you, you know. That Wyatt fellow already seems to suspect you. 

Screw off. Aaron drew in the last few Lines of Forbiddance, careful not to leave any breaks. Standing and stretching, he surveyed his work. The outer Line of Warding was a little wonky, but other than that nothing was amiss. Do you think they realized that you're lying? That would certainly explain why they suspect you. They wouldn't even be completely wrong. 

Matt's eyes burned with barely contained anger, as he rounded on Aaron. I had never seen him like that, but considering the stresses of the day, perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised.

"I haven't contributed, Aaron? Is that what you think? I've suggested that we figure out our defenses and our plan to get back to the front lines before we start worrying about trying to kill each other! You see out there?" -He gestured to outside our Lines of Warding- "The real enemy is out there! If we don't figure out what we're doing about that, then it won't matter how many Forgotten we have within."

As he spoke, Matt stepped closer and closer to Aaron, until they were standing toe to toe. Matt still hadn't raised his voice higher than a conversational tone, but the rage was clear.

"And you dare stand here and accuse me of doing nothing... What's your excuse? You've waited till now to speak up and when you do, you come after me for the exact thing that you seem to be doing. I won't play your games. I have a reason to live, someone who is counting on me back home, and even if I have to drag the rest of you back to civilization while you're kicking and screaming, I. Will. Survive."

Having said his piece, Matt spun on his heel and stomped off towards the boundary of the camp, likely to double-check the Lines. I was too afraid to follow, myself. If this was how each day was going to go, I didn't like our chances of survival... or my chances of staying sane. 

Umm... Are you sure you're voting for Ash (Aaron), Meta? Not Aonar (Aonar)?

Also. Code. Wow.

Updated list:

Aonar: Wyrm, Meta

Roddy: pir2h Jain 

pir2h: Araris

Jain: Tulir, Joe

Will: Twei

Dui: Alv

Gamma: Alv

Kas: Aonar

Sorry for missing you last time, Alv.  :( 

Edit: Updated List.

Edited by Lightsworn Panda

Woah... Matt is obviously an angry dude. :P (I'm not sure raging at a paranoid schizophrenic Rithmatist (who, being a soldier at Nebrask, happens to know the Glyph of Rending) is the smartest idea in the world, though...  ;))

​I know Kas usually isn't on for a while yet, but as he is currently the only person not to have given or received any votes, I may as well vote for him for a bit.

After Matt's outburst, Aaron retreated to his tent, the voice in his head following him the entire way.

I told you. They can see it. They know what you've done. "They know that you've been lying to them." Aaron's head jerked upwards, looking around wildly for who had spoken. A man, dark haired and nondescript, but still oddly familiar, leaned back against the tent. "Who are you?"

"You don't remember?" The other man shook his head in exasperation, then smiled cheerily. "I'm Aaron Falaise. You killed me." 

Edited by AonarFaileas

I'm calling Ashiok, Roddy, as that makes things clear to me and I don't think Aonar gave his character a last name, so my vote is for Aonar. It seems to me that his decision to vote for me could just as easily be turned towards himself. The fact that his reasoning is shoddy actually makes me suspicious of him in the first place. That he came after me is just icing on the cake. 

Edit: Nah, he's not always angry, but it has been a trying day for the platoon, don't you think? :P 

Edited by Metacognition

Okay. Just got back from vacation, so I'm popping on now. I don't want to start a bandwagon on Dui, but he's the only one who has yet to post. Meta, codes already? Weren't you the one discouraging setting up codes before? :P

I think Araris's plan is a good one. I don't think we need as many as ten Warding lines, but I think seven or eight is good. Why don't we assign a random eight players to make lines of warding, which should cover any Forgotten or non-Rithmatists. What do you think?

Alv because he's kandra not voted for yet. He's also been more active than normal, I think, which feels wrong to me.

Codes? How is being in character code? I think you guys got so used to blue font that you forgot you could do things in character to get your point across! :P I'm just trying to stay in character as much as possible to make things more fun.

If you'd rather I only focus on the technical aspects of the game and not on the RP, then at this point, Jain and Maill both took that to mean that I'm speaking in some form of obscure dialect (aka, codes). In fact, they both called it the same thing even. That could represent a bit of hive-mind speak due to them both being Forgotten. Add into that the fact that it sounds like they're subtly trying to defend Aonar's mistake earlier and we might have already found our Forgotten! 

No, instead, I'm trying to keep things as much in character as I can. That's not writing in code. We shouldn't be discounting anything that's not written in blue font in the first place. After all, what's the fun of designing a character if you don't get to use it! :)

Thanks for the addition to the first post of the rollover time and player list - But if the Cycle goes from 2PM Sunday to 8AM Monday, doesn't that mean the Cycle is only 42 hours long?

Wyatt crouched down and tapped the chalky line with his finger gently - or at least, he tapped the ground behind it, wary of smudging it. This line wasn't drawn well enough. He could tell that just by looking it, with all these years spent on the front lines. Whoever drew this would get a severe reprimanding.

Or at least, they would if he still outranked anyone here. He sighed and stood up, surveying the troops, his comrades-in-chalk. They were accusing everyone under the sun, but that was good. This was war, after all. Caution kept you alive, so long as you didn't become paralysed with fear.

Actually, one of them was still remaining quiet. Admittedly, someone who ate chalk was probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but at the very least he might have something to say. "Well?" Wyatt asked Dui, as he walked back over to the group, "what have you got to say for yourself?"

I've removed my vote from Aonar now, since he's discussed quite a bit. I'm pleased that we got a lot of discussion going last Cycle, and as far as I can tell, we only have one inactive. I'm voting for Dui to see if that will get him to post anything, so I'll remove it if he ever shows up under that threat. I find the little flurry of votes on the previous day to be interesting, though I don't think it amounts to much yet. I am somewhat curious as to why Kas and Gamma haven't voted though. Gamma in particular had quite a bit of information to go off when he posted. But I suppose it is still early days and all. We need solid information before any of this is more than conjecture. At the very least, we seem to be heading towards some conclusion currently, even if its just for inactivity. I'd much prefer to lynch someone other than an inactive though, since they wouldn't matter much for the game if they don't turn up. Also, as an MR game, there are probably rules to kill off inactives? Or is that just QF games? Ah well, doesn't matter.

As for the discussion on the Lines of Warding, it's difficult to say what we should target. We need enough to actually ensure safety, but at the same time, each one we overestimate by decreases our other opportunities. We also have to remember that you can't use the same Line in a row, so if we use all of our Circles of Protection: Wild Chalkings on the first night, then the next day we're almost guaranteed to have another death.

I think we need four Lines of Warding to guarantee being safe (while I can see arguments for there being three Forgotten, it'd be better to be safe than sorry), less the number of Sentries (probably 1, maybe 2? Again, best to be safe). So call it four Lines of Warding that we need drawn to be safe from random deaths, taking into account that one of these players may be a Forgotten who ignores this 'order' in order to kill someone (this gives us 3 + 1, which will be greater than or equal to the number of Forgotten). We should have two teams who alternate between Lines of Warding and another Line (probably Lines of Making?), but the problem there is getting the numbers right. Well, if we find that one Cycle is less protected than we need, then we can try to correct it, though this may be difficult. At the very least, it's a plan for today.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Checking in before I have to head off for uni work again. Note that I'll not be as active as I used to be, since I have three papers due on Friday, which means Internet off, work, work. I'm really starting to hate all those people quibbling about the role attention plays (whether it is constitutive of, etc) in consciousness, lemme tell you :P

-

Anyway, to make some positive contribution here:

First, I don't really see how my not actually voting at this point is "curious" in any way because it's pretty much what I do in LGs and MRs: watch on Cycle One, place policy/tactical recommendations and start working with the information and then place votes when I see something strange I want to pick out and get a response to. I get (reluctantly) aggressive in QFs because I accept/acknowledge that we have to play hardball in QFs, and look at how well that worked in QF3.

He's not in any danger (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I'd like to red Tavi, first, because I'd like to get a response on what I see as weaknesses in his suggestion, and second because I probably can't get online until after rollover tomorrow. I'm not a big fan of specifying who should be doing the Warding, for a few considerations:

1. As I have previously mentioned, I think it just tells the F-ers who is vulnerable and who can be hit with a kill without having to waste a LoV.

2. I am somewhat more worried about the fact that if we know who's going to be Warding the camp, then it's just open season because the F-ers can LoV the Warders and open us for a wild chalkling kill. Now, I'm not saying this is unvoidable. For one, we can specify a margin of three or four, enabling us to bypass the problem with Lines of Vigor (I believe this to be implicit in Araris's suggestion, although I am open to correction if it is not.)

Here's the problem with that: 4 F-ers (assume max number, I reckon) = 4 LoW on our side (assuming no sentries), --> 4 + 3 = 7 to give a safe/respectable margin. That's fine but that leaves us in hot soup the next day, and ignores the possibilities of Lines of Making or Forbiddance or our own Lines of Vigor. Perhaps that's an acceptable way to strategise, but I think the fact that this option requires us to tie a decent amount of our resources up in rotating LoWs renders it somewhat unoptimal.

3. Exposing the Non-Rithmatists. I think this is a problem. It may be the case that most will disagree with me, holding the view that if someone claims NR, we should force them to power someone or die in the lynch. My response would be that it still makes them a pretty good target for a transfusion-blocking LoV and then a quick kill. At least for me, that is brief reason for concern.

I realise this sounds an awful lot like anti-skaa tactics, which might or might not be relevant here. But at least as far as I'm concerned, I'd like a brief response from Araris: why give the F-ers targets?

Will

I'm not sure what to do with the Lines of Warding. More of them will create a buffer against any Lines of Vigor from the Forgotten, but at the same time that reduces our utility from Lines of Forbiddance/Making. And the more we organise everyone so we can produce a solid defence every cycle, the more information the Forgotten have to disrupt that plan.

...We could almost do this statistically. Everyone rolls a die/RNG (and keeps the result secret), which puts them into one of 2/3 groups to take turns. Eg a 1 or 2 is this cycle, 3 or 4 next cycle, etc. But with so few players (statistically speaking), the variance would probably be too high.

edit: blue

Edited by twelfthrootoftwo

How about we split the player list in two? Top half goes tonight, bottom half tomorrow?

Voting wise, I have been really busy, and haven't caught up yet. Get back to y'all later.

EDIT: it was blue... Totally blue

Edited by Ashiok