89 members have voted

1. 1. Jorgen is pronounced:

• Hard J, like Jam or Jelly. Jor-gin
    • A Yuh sound, like Jasnah or Yolish. Your-gin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I listened to the British audiobook, the Sophie Aldred version, and she pronounces it with the "Yuh." I didn't realize how it was spelled for the longest time!

Funnily enough, for the space of the first two books, I also assumed that Sophie Aldred's pronunciation of "Spensa" was just her accent pronouncing "Spencer".

As for Alanik, I actually pictured it as a kind of French-style "Arlanique"--which is also a rather nice name, now that I write it out. I should use it somewhere myself.

Edited by Aria

• 4 weeks later...

I like to imagine that his name is supposed to be pronounced with a y-sound to go with his originally intended callsign (Jaeger) but once Spensa's nickname of Jerkface caught on, everyone started pronouncing it with a hard J so it matched the callsign.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:39 AM, NorthStar said:

In Brandon's spoiler stream last night, Adam pronounced Jorgen as "Yorr-gen." I previously voted for "Jorr-gen" in this thread's poll but I'm switching to the other pronunciation now :D

I was wondering how there could be confusion on this point, but then I realized...

On 5/19/2022 at 4:00 PM, Weltall said:

I like to imagine that his name is supposed to be pronounced with a y-sound to go with his originally intended callsign (Jaeger) but once Spensa's nickname of Jerkface caught on, everyone started pronouncing it with a hard J so it matched the callsign.

That's perfect! Spensa saw his name in print first, right? On the paper she picked up of the cadet admissions examination she hadn't been allowed to sit for?

Another reason for Jorgen to reset his cruel nickname, haha. As if he needed more.

BTW this caused me to go back and re-read "Skyward" for the first time in a while, and man it is a fun re-read (and a bit heart-wrenching) after fairly recently reading Evershore!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It needs the hard J because it should kinda sound like the word "jargon". 
As a side note, I don't really buy the arguments that it should be pronounced like a Scandinavian would. This story is thousands of years into the future which is plenty of time for words and pronunciations to slide around and morph.