[Theory] Taln Wasn't the Herald Who Broke; It Was Chanarach

teknopathetic

14 hours ago, Being of Cacophony said:

does anyone remember if her hair color changes while they're in shadesmar? I don't remember, but I want to say it does...

I'm about 90% sure that it doesn't. She had to keep stating when she was Radiant or Veil because they couldn't afford to waste Stormlight while in Shadesmar.

45 minutes ago, trav said:

I don't like this theory since it would mean that Shallan is relevant and I would have to read and pay attention to the chapters of the cosmeres worst character.

Unfortunately the theory is solid. This sucks.

just think of it as another thing to blame Shallan for.

8 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I'm about 90% sure that it doesn't. She had to keep stating when she was Radiant or Veil because they couldn't afford to waste Stormlight while in Shadesmar.

ok. I feel like they know who she is sometimes without her stating it. I could definitely be wrong though

55 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

just think of it as another thing to blame Shallan for.

ok. I feel like they know who she is sometimes without her stating it. I could definitely be wrong though

Welp..Now I have to reread a good chunk of RoW because this is just the sort of detail that Brandon would slip into a single encounter.

On 2023-09-26 at 6:15 AM, trav said:

I don't like this theory since it would mean that Shallan is relevant and I would have to read and pay attention to the chapters of the cosmeres worst character.

Unfortunately the theory is solid. This sucks.

Shallan is my favourite character actually. Right at the start going through her chapters and delving into all the mysteries was incredibly fascinating to me. Her chapters are my favourite in TWoK because you get to delve deep into the world and the eldritch mystery of the lore. Also, I have a big heart-on for anyone that tried to cheer up others even when their own experiences could be absolutely crushing. I find that to be quite a strength of character.  My Shallan love goes deep. I read her as if she should be believed, and that's how I found all these hints about Shallan and her mother.
---
Side note for Shallan fans (or people who want to see why people like Shallan)
I am really digging the Lost in Rosier re-read podcast  since both of the hosts love Shallan as well and it is great to see people dig into what makes Shallan a compelling and sympathetic read.

Edited by teknopathetic