The Last Post Wins!!!!!

5 minutes ago, DoomStick said:

Still don’t understand 

When you are called on a mission, you get what is called a mission call in the mail that tells you where you are going.

At least, that’s how it works in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Did that help?

Edited by Ethan_Sedai

46 minutes ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

When you are called on a mission, you get what is called a mission call in the mail that tells you where you are going.

At least, that’s how it works in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Did that help?

Oh!

12 hours ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

North Denver. That was unexpected, I expected to go to Japan, because I was learning Japanese. 

Spanish speaking, which also came as a surprise, because I was learning Japanese. And I don’t know any Spanish.

Hey, cool! But yeah that's a bit weird. Good luck with the Spanish. :P

1 minute ago, DoomStick said:

Ok, last question: what’s a mission?

it’s probably not one of those buildings in CA from when Spain still owned it

A mission is when you go out and preach the gospel to the world. There are also service missions, which I don’t actually know very much about. 

15 hours ago, DoomStick said:

How does one open a call?

12 hours ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

Did that help?

I thought that the calls were all done online now?
But, yes, essentially, we open a document or letter, that informs that person where they have been called to serve. In this case, a calling is where members of the church believe that the Lord has asked them to serve a mission. Kind of like when someone in a book feels like they have been called to complete a quest, except the calling isn't revealed to the person going on the quest, instead, it's revealed to men who we believe are prophets. 

14 hours ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

North Denver. That was unexpected, I expected to go to Japan, because I was learning Japanese. 

Spanish speaking, which also came as a surprise, because I was learning Japanese. And I don’t know any Spanish.

Congrats! Keep learning Japanese! After your mission if you speak fluent spanish, fluent japanese, and fluent english, you will have lot's of great opportunities in life! 

49 minutes ago, DoomStick said:

Ok, last question: what’s a mission?

it’s probably not one of those buildings in CA from when Spain still owned it

55 minutes ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

A mission is when you go out and preach the gospel to the world. There are also service missions, which I don’t actually know very much about. 

46 minutes ago, AonEne said:

It lasts a couple years and there are SO MANY RULES and ahhhhhh. :blink:

It is definitely not one of those buildings in CA from when spain still owned it. At least not in the sense we are using it. Ethan and Aon explained it pretty well, but let me just add a bit more.

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, (Often refered to as the LDS church, or Mormon church) one of our core beliefs is the importance of sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and inviting others to live it's teachings with us. For reasons difficult to explain simply, we believe that the Lord has called all worthy, able, young men to serve a mission, and has opened the invitation to others as well. Even though we believe that all young men have been called, it is still their right to accept or reject the call, and this is done by those who are willing to serve fill out an application, and wait to see where they have been asked to serve. 

Then the missionary will leave their home, for two years, where they are expected to abide by the rules that were explained in basic detail prior to their leaving, and explained in more detail, once you actually arrive. The missionary usually follows a strict-ish schedule where they search for those willing to listen to their message, and preach the gospel to those people.  The missionary should always be with a companion 24/7, except bathroom breaks and stuff like that, who is there to help share the message, make sure the other abides by the rules, as well as for safety purposes. Basically extreme buddy system. 

But I don't want to go into way too much detail here, as that is not the purpose of this thread. Everything has a place and purpose. I hope I've answered most of the questions you might have "What is a mission" "Why go" "How is it set up" "what is it's purpose." But if you have any more questions about the set up of a mission, feel free to PM me, I've served a mission too (in Chile), and I held various different positions within the mission's structure. (Don't worry, I won't preach anything to you unless you want to, I'll just help you answer the questions about what a mission, because from my experience, there are many people who are relatively curious about missionaries(Men with white shirts and black plaques on their chest), but don't ask questions, because they are afraid that they will be preached to.)

----------------

Anyway, back to the thread....

I win!

1 minute ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, (Often refered to as the LDS church, or Mormon church) one of our core beliefs is the importance of sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and inviting others to live it's teachings with us. For reasons difficult to explain simply, we believe that the Lord has called all worthy, able, young men to serve a mission, and has opened the invitation to others as well. Even though we believe that all young men have been called, it is still their right to accept or reject the call, and this is done by those who are willing to serve fill out an application, and wait to see where they have been asked to serve. 

Then the missionary will leave their home, for two years, where they are expected to abide by the rules that were explained in basic detail prior to their leaving, and explained in more detail, once you actually arrive. The missionary usually follows a strict-ish schedule where they search for those willing to listen to their message, and preach the gospel to those people.  The missionary should always be with a companion 24/7, except bathroom breaks and stuff like that, who is there to help share the message, make sure the other abides by the rules, as well as for safety purposes. Basically extreme buddy system. 

But I don't want to go into way too much detail here, as that is not the purpose of this thread. Everything has a place and purpose. I hope I've answered most of the questions you might have "What is a mission" "Why go" "How is it set up" "what is it's purpose." But if you have any more questions about the set up of a mission, feel free to PM me, I've served a mission too (in Chile), and I held various different positions within the mission's structure. (Don't worry, I won't preach anything to you unless you want to, I'll just help you answer the questions about what a mission, because from my experience, there are many people who are relatively curious about missionaries(Men with white shirts and black plaques on their chest), but don't ask questions, because they are afraid that they will be preached to.)

just a bit more :P