[Theory] It has been foreshadowed that Adolin will be a Radiant.

eveorjoy

I think Adolin's actions will cause a rift in the Kohlin's family. Dalinar, for one, will definitely not be OK with his son's actions once he founds out, not after spending a whole book claiming how such a good son he is. I believe Dalinar may be forced to choose between his so desired "unity" or his son. He cannot ask everyone to follow the code and yet ignore the rules when it comes to his son.

No.

Dalinar won't have a choice to trial and sentence Adolin. He won't have a choice to banish his own son and that won't sit well with the rest of the family. I can almost see the scene where Dalinar ask Adolin to yield his shardblade and brake the bond (how great would it be if the sowrd suddently starts screaming more badly then the others when that happens?). I do not think Renarin and Navani will agree to this decision. I would love to see calm and quiet Renarin loose temper on his father for having sent his brother away on a one way ticket. I would also love to read a grief stricken Dalinar having a hard time living with the fact he basically lost one of his sons by his own decision. Hard.

As for Adolin, well, I think he is in for the roller-coaster of his life. If I were Odium, knowing that Dalinar is leading the Radians, I would want to oppose him the one person he cannot beat, the one person who may be an equivalent tactical genious, the one person he knows Dalinar won't want to kill: his own son. I do think Odium will try hard, very, very hard to get Adolin on his team and with Adolin being exiled, alone and away from everyone he loves, well.... Brandon would be crazy not to explore this avenue.

However, I do hope the ploy won't work and that Adolin will, somehow, escape Odium and screw his plans. I love the idea of him reviving his shard's spren (although, if he is banished, he most likely won't have his sword with him anymore) and I love the idea of him becoming a Dutbringer, but I think it will be a long and hard process. I do not know what the second ideal of the Dustbringers may be, but I could definitely see Adolin escape Odium by saying something along the lines: "I will protect those I love even at the expense of my life, I will not be Odium's champion", since this would be pretty much consistent with what we saw from him in the books.

That sounds exactly like the sort of emotional problems authors love to put their characters in. :)

Wouldn't it be nice if Adolin leads a Parshendi army against Dalinar and Kaladin and during the big final showdown Kaladin tells him, "don't let yourself be guided by hatred. I've been there, I understand you, but I it's wrong." And the Adolin realises what he has done, "stoms above, I've been so wrong;" says whatever ideal gets him to be a Radiant, and fights at Kaladin's side against a confused Eshonai. :)

That sounds exactly like the sort of emotional problems authors love to put their characters in. :)

Wouldn't it be nice if Adolin leads a Parshendi army against Dalinar and Kaladin and during the big final showdown Kaladin tells him, "don't let yourself be guided by hatred. I've been there, I understand you, but I it's wrong." And the Adolin realises what he has done, "stoms above, I've been so wrong;" says whatever ideal gets him to be a Radiant, and fights at Kaladin's side against a confused Eshonai. :)

I was thinking along those lines. It would be great if Adolin got banished and he lost his blade. Whilst banished, he'd meet Eshonai in the chasms and maybe come across the parshendi that ran away and avoided the transformation to stormform. He then bonds a spren and gets a "proper" shardblade. This would be great for his character as he was unable to forgive 1 enemy in sadeas but manages this with Eshonai and helps her whilst he's at it. His ideal as a dustbringers could be along those lines too. Fighting or forgiving enemies?

I was thinking along those lines. It would be great if Adolin got banished and he lost his blade. Whilst banished, he'd meet Eshonai in the chasms and maybe come across the parshendi that ran away and avoided the transformation to stormform. He then bonds a spren and gets a "proper" shardblade. This would be great for his character as he was unable to forgive 1 enemy in sadeas but manages this with Eshonai and helps her whilst he's at it. His ideal as a dustbringers could be along those lines too. Fighting or forgiving enemies?

Love this! What if Adolin gets banished and starts getting under the influence of Odium (I mean him being away from Dalinar  would be a huge opportunity for Odium to get his champion) only to have Eshonai sort of "rescuing" him? We know Eshonai is not a willing servant of Odium and we know she is fighting it, somehow, or at least trying to. So what if she regnonize the Blackthorn's son and decides to do one good thing for the man she thinks so highly of? She could help him escape or something along those lines only for him to stumple, by accident, on the lost parshendi.

Since we are playing "what if", what if Renarin in a fit of rage against his brother's banishement thrusts his sword into a chasm? He could say something along the lines: "The sword was happier being dead when Adolin had it". And what if the highstorm somehow make the sword travel back to Adolin where ever he ends up to? That would leave opportunity for Adolin to finally bond with it properly.

Love the ideal: "I will forgive my enemies" :)

Really, if Sanderson just ends up writing something easy such as:

Adolin: "Father, I killed Sadeas. I am sorry"

Dalinar: "I understand these are hard times for you son. Have you hid the evidence?"

Elhokar: "Don't worry cousin, we will blame it on some rogue parshendi".

Now *that* would be disapointing.

Really, if Sanderson just ends up writing something easy such as:

Adolin: "Father, I killed Sadeas. I am sorry"

Dalinar: "I understand these are hard times for you son. Have you hid the evidence?"

Elhokar: "Don't worry cousin, we will blame it on some rogue parshendi".

Now *that* would be disapointing.

Now we all know that Sanderson would never let us down like that :)

Have faith!

While I agree that his killing Sadeas will have consequences in the next book(s) for him. I think this is also very telling...

"Now, Shallan might be the most important person in the world, and he was...

What was he?"

So when he learns that both his father and brother are KR. He just went from golden poster boy to feeling useless. I can only imagine how hard mentally that would be for someone.

Adolin has been talking with his shardblade and even refuse to give it a name so as to acknowledge the original name the blade could have had. With this, I think there might be possibility that the so called "dead" spren could be revived in one way or another, then establishing a bond with Adolin.  

During the last battle in WoR, Adolin felt disgust killing Parshendi, the same kind of emotions Dalinar started to feel in WoK. I think this is a good sign that Adolin is being spiritually prepared to be a radiant.      

Who do you think will teach Shallan to fight with her blade, you'd think it would be Adolin but if he's banished, it could even be Kaladin! It's too obvious a love angle so I hope this doesn't happen! Lol

Zahel, he's a weapons master, who better to teach people who can literally have any weapon at any time?

Hmm.. I can't wait to see how having women in shard plate and wielding shard blades is going to effect things. Will Zahel agree to train Shallan in the blade because she's a KR? Or will he refuse because she's a woman.. soo many questions!

Hmm.. I can't wait to see how having women in shard plate and wielding shard blades is going to effect things. Will Zahel agree to train Shallan in the blade because she's a KR? Or will he refuse because she's a woman.. soo many questions!

Considering Zahel's history, I very much doubt he would refuse to teach a woman. He has done it before after all.

Considering Zahel's history, I very much doubt he would refuse to teach a woman. He has done it before after all.

I did think of that also, but would the society he is living in now okay that? Or would he even care? and IIRC I don't think that was a very pleasurable experience for him. lol

The assistant, Ivis, who Zahel sends to help with Kaladin and the other bridgemen is female. Zahel finds the Alethi sexism rather silly,

just like Vasher found the Idrian sexism rather silly!

As for Adolin... There are many options for him.  

I have a feeling Szeth may be sent after him in the next book.  It will be interesting to see how Nightblood reacts.

Who do you think will teach Shallan to fight with her blade, you'd think it would be Adolin but if he's banished, it could even be Kaladin! It's too obvious a love angle so I hope this doesn't happen! Lol

Nah, I suspect Adolin and Shallan's love story will end with Adolin's banishment which would leave room for a Shallan/Kaladin love story (and for Kaladin teaching Shallan how to use her sword). In fact, I think it may be possible an imprisoned Adolin waiting for his process asks Shallan to come with him in banishment, probably back to Jah Keved only to have her saying no. No because what is going on here is more important than whatever feelings he may have for him.

However, I do not want a Shallan and Kaladin's love story to happen. I would be more satisfied if, after trying it out, they decided they are better suited as friends. And I also think Shallan and Adolin are really cute together so whatever happens to him, I do want him to come back to her.

Anyway just speculating here, but I do think Adolin needs to break down in the next books and for someone like him to break down, it is going to take something big.

The assistant, Ivis, who Zahel sends to help with Kaladin and the other bridgemen is female. Zahel finds the Alethi sexism rather silly,

just like Vasher found the Idrian sexism rather silly!

As for Adolin... There are many options for him.  

I have a feeling Szeth may be sent after him in the next book.  It will be interesting to see how Nightblood reacts.

Yeah I was thinking of the female swordmaster as well. I do not think Zahel would have a proble with it, but I do think Shallan may be reluctant to reveal her shardblade... She may prefer training in the shadow with Kaladin.

Didn't she use pattern as a shard blade to turn on the portal infront of a bunch of people though? Or was that a regular shard? I don't have my book with me :( It's like I forgot an organ at home...

Here!

P1010071.jpg

You're welcome!

Edited by Baine

Nah, I suspect Adolin and Shallan's love story will end with Adolin's banishment which would leave room for a Shallan/Kaladin love story (and for Kaladin teaching Shallan how to use her sword). In fact, I think it may be possible an imprisoned Adolin waiting for his process asks Shallan to come with him in banishment, probably back to Jah Keved only to have her saying no. No because what is going on here is more important than whatever feelings he may have for him.

However, I do not want a Shallan and Kaladin's love story to happen. I would be more satisfied if, after trying it out, they decided they are better suited as friends. And I also think Shallan and Adolin are really cute together so whatever happens to him, I do want him to come back to her.

Anyway just speculating here, but I do think Adolin needs to break down in the next books and for someone like him to break down, it is going to take something big.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 495249712 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

I was hoping kaladin got it on with jasnah. With him being a wind runner who they say teach ppl leadership and he is very strong willed once he stops whining and with Jasnah being so headstrong confident and intelligent, there could have been fireworks. Also, he's the only man with anything close to any academic intelligence! Lol

I was hoping kaladin got it on with jasnah. With him being a wind runner who they say teach ppl leadership and he is very strong willed once he stops whining and with Jasnah being so headstrong confident and intelligent, there could have been fireworks. Also, he's the only man with anything close to any academic intelligence! Lol

I am, as I have stated several times before, in full support of this shipping. Jasnah would likely find in Kaladin many admirable qualities that she thinks are missing in most other men (and women, though she's more antagonistic towards men). Kaladin is honourable (or at least tries to be), he is resourceful to the point of making the impossible happen (Bridge Four), he isn't exactly an academic, but knows surprisingly much about medicine, and he is otherwise intelligent, innovative and is able to hold his own against the wit of Shallan. He is also said to be handsome, if a bit ruggedly so. At the very least, she would find him intriguing.

It's occurred to me--thanks to another thread--that perhaps a point in favour of the idea that Adolin will not become a KR is as follows:

Eventually, the KR are going to probably need some sort of operational independence from the Alethi structures. I don't think this is going to be possible in the short-term, given they're facing so many problems at the end of WoR, but having the KR in positions of power is probably not going to go down well with Vorinism. If that's the case, Dalinar is eventually going to have to abdicate as Highprince--which would make the letter he'd drawn up in WoK rather prescient. And given the need for KR and Alethi separation of power, there would be only one eligible Kholin to take up the mantle of Highprince: Adolin.

We'd still have to hash out exactly the repercussions of killing Sadeas will pan out, especially since Adolin left his sideknife in Sadeas. Would his sideknife be instantly recognisable, given his status? I suspect it might be personalised in some way. Dalinar might, for instance, recognise it. Not to mention Adolin would be missing a sideknife for a bit.

But it seems to be an interesting possibility: while his father, his causal betrothed and his brother are all finding places as KRs, Adolin has to step up to take the Highprince seat. And in a sense, part of WoK and WoR seems to be about getting him to mature enough to see that big picture.

Edited by Kasimir

It's occurred to me--thanks to another thread--that perhaps a point in favour of the idea that Adolin will not become a KR is as follows:

Eventually, the KR are going to probably need some sort of operational independence from the Alethi structures. I don't think this is going to be possible in the short-term, given they're facing so many problems at the end of WoR, but having the KR in positions of power is probably not going to go down well with Vorinism. If that's the case, Dalinar is eventually going to have to abdicate as Highprince--which would make the letter he'd drawn up in WoK rather prescient. And given the need for KR and Alethi separation of power, there would be only one eligible Kholin to take up the mantle of Highprince: Adolin.

We'd still have to hash out exactly the repercussions of killing Sadeas will pan out, especially since Adolin left his sideknife in Sadeas. Would his sideknife be instantly recognisable, given his status? I suspect it might be personalised in some way. Dalinar might, for instance, recognise it. Not to mention Adolin would be missing a sideknife for a bit.

But it seems to be an interesting possibility: while his father, his causal betrothed and his brother are all finding places as KRs, Adolin has to step up to take the Highprince seat. And in a sense, part of WoK and WoR seems to be about getting him to mature enough to see that big picture.

Could be, but it would be booooooring. We need some turmoil and Adolin is an opportunity. No doubt Sanderson has something in plan other than just having Adolin get the highseat of house Kohlin.

Dalinar relies more and more on Adolin, it would be nice to see how he deals with the repercussions of Sadeas's murder. For the rest, I do think Adolin will make it to KR, but later than most. I recalled reading the Stormfather ordered the sprens NOT to come and bond humans, but some disobeyed? I wonder if any Dustbringer spren came at all since they are supposed to be "obidient"... That could fuel the theory that Adolin will revive his shardblade if the blade ends up being one of a Dustbringer. Now that would be awesome.

maxal, on 19 Apr 2014 - 9:11 PM, said:

Could be, but it would be booooooring. We need some turmoil and Adolin is an opportunity. No doubt Sanderson has something in plan other than just having Adolin get the highseat of house Kohlin.

Dalinar relies more and more on Adolin, it would be nice to see how he deals with the repercussions of Sadeas's murder. For the rest, I do think Adolin will make it to KR, but later than most. I recalled reading the Stormfather ordered the sprens NOT to come and bond humans, but some disobeyed? I wonder if any Dustbringer spren came at all since they are supposed to be "obidient"... That could fuel the theory that Adolin will revive his shardblade if the blade ends up being one of a Dustbringer. Now that would be awesome.

Please tell me how it would be boring. Adolin would inherit a highseat in the middle of a chaotic situation. While he's been increasingly prepared for the role, it's not clear he's ready for it and he's still got quite some growing up to do. He's also still got to deal with the issues of his place, given everyone around him is a KR and he isn't. Not to mention all indications from his father are, being a KR is awesome. And then Renarin: all along, he's been the brother leading the way. Suddenly, Renarin is ahead of him. What is he to make of that?

And imagine: he might be inheriting the highseat in the middle of Alethkar being a mess, being ill-suited for Alethi politics (he loses his temper and lets himself be goaded into a four-on-one match) and among accusations of possible murder. I'd say it'd be majorly interesting--as the development of a character who isn't a KR. Sanderson so far has shown a constant interest in the way 'underpowered' characters can overcome an overpowered one, and I'd think most of us would know better than to consider a non-KR development arc to be 'boring' off the bat.

Edited by Kasimir

Please tell me how it would be boring. Adolin would inherit a highseat in the middle of a chaotic situation. While he's been increasingly prepared for the role, it's not clear he's ready for it and he's still got quite some growing up to do. He's also still got to deal with the issues of his place, given everyone around him is a KR and he isn't. Not to mention all indications from his father are, being a KR is awesome. And then Renarin: all along, he's been the brother leading the way. Suddenly, Renarin is ahead of him. What is he to make of that?

And imagine: he might be inheriting the highseat in the middle of Alethkar being a mess, being ill-suited for Alethi politics (he loses his temper and lets himself be goaded into a four-on-one match) and among accusations of possible murder. I'd say it'd be majorly interesting--as the development of a character who isn't a KR. Sanderson so far has shown a constant interest in the way 'underpowered' characters can overcome an overpowered one, and I'd think most of us would know better than to consider a non-KR development arc to be 'boring' off the bat.

Well, I guess I was reading it differently as I do not think Sadeas's murder will solve itself without consequences for Adolin. Therefore, for him to take over the Kohlin's highseat, he would need to come clean from the murder and *that* would be boring. In fact, I do think Dalinar may give him the highseat right away at the beginning of book 3 only to see him crash down as the accusations start to flow.

I agree with you on some points however. Adolin will have a hard time dealing with all his relatives being KR. I do not think he will be jealous as Adolin hasn't shown any inclination towards thiss ort of emotion. I mean, when he finds out of much of a badass warrior Kaladin really is, he doesn't go jealous on him, he goes: "Wow, this guy is amazing, I want him to fight by my side and why not turn him into my best pal?". However, I do think the situation will lead him to act more brashly than before as he will try to assert his worth in this new world. Add the guilty conscience for having disobeyed his father, for having not live up to his expectations and I think we may get a very impulsive, prone to agression and tantrum Adolin.

I guess my main problem with the "Adolin does not become KR" theory is that we end up with him not being blamed for a debatable murder. That is what I find boring about the theory. Besides, Dalinar reflects that KR of old time were warriors and yet, in his small crew of KR, he has only one of those......... We need to fire power into the KR and so far, we have seen none of those. Adolin is the more badass warrior we have and he has a good heart. He is too much KR material to just be tossed away.

Elhokar could be our normal character that goes on from being a spoiled wimp to a good king in a sea of KR.

maxal, on 19 Apr 2014 - 9:42 PM, said:

Well, I guess I was reading it differently as I do not think Sadeas's murder will solve itself without consequences for Adolin. Therefore, for him to take over the Kohlin's highseat, he would need to come clean from the murder and *that* would be boring. In fact, I do think Dalinar may give him the highseat right away at the beginning of book 3 only to see him crash down as the accusations start to flow.

I agree with you on some points however. Adolin will have a hard time dealing with all his relatives being KR. I do not think he will be jealous as Adolin hasn't shown any inclination towards thiss ort of emotion. I mean, when he finds out of much of a badass warrior Kaladin really is, he doesn't go jealous on him, he goes: "Wow, this guy is amazing, I want him to fight by my side and why not turn him into my best pal?". However, I do think the situation will lead him to act more brashly than before as he will try to assert his worth in this new world. Add the guilty conscience for having disobeyed his father, for having not live up to his expectations and I think we may get a very impulsive, prone to agression and tantrum Adolin.

I guess my main problem with the "Adolin does not become KR" theory is that we end up with him not being blamed for a debatable murder. That is what I find boring about the theory. Besides, Dalinar reflects that KR of old time were warriors and yet, in his small crew of KR, he has only one of those......... We need to fire power into the KR and so far, we have seen none of those. Adolin is the more badass warrior we have and he has a good heart. He is too much KR material to just be tossed away.

Elhokar could be our normal character that goes on from being a spoiled wimp to a good king in a sea of KR.

That's fair enough, and I admit I'm more on the 'Adolin will become a KR' side of the fence. I'm just not so sure that theories where Adolin doesn't become a KR don't have him facing the consequences for having murdered Sadeas. I think either way you look at it, in a world where the Skybreakers are returning, whether he does or doesn't become an incipient Surgebinder would put his head on the chopping block. In essence, while there have been some theories that are more interesting than others (see: Adolin will be exiled and then discover his powers), I think that having Sadeas' murder on his hands will, one way or another, ensure that his character arc won't turn out patently boring.

I agree with your point that we need more firepower in the KRs. With regard to that, Adolin would be a good fit. However, I'm not sure how much that speaks for it, given that the orders revealed so far haven't really been the combat-oriented ones, with the exception of the Windrunners and the very tentative glimpse we've gotten into the Skybreakers.

Edited by Kasimir