[OB] Oathbringer chapters 19-21

Mestiv

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

Oh hi Mraize. Nice to see you with a despicable eel of a woman. I suppose this is company you're used to? 

Just in case you were on the fence, trying to figure out if Mraize was really a bad guy, or just simply misunderstood.  I mean, I get the confusion, he did try to kill Amaram, right?

And then you see him with Ialai, and remember how psychopathic he is.  Definitely a villain.  But far more interesting question becomes: Is Ialai a Ghostblood?  If so, where does she fall in the hierarchy?  If not, is she aware that Mraize is?  If she is, does she know about Mraize's new protege, Veil, and the showy display at the alehouse?  

The next Shallan chapter better happen next week, because it will be intense.  And, you know, cause these boards to explode.  Again.

The best part of the chapters today was Mraize's first OB appearance IMO. I wonder if this has to do with Sadeas' proximity to Amaram and the Son's of Honor, or whether Ialai herself is connected to the Ghost Bloods. There is certainly some connection between the Sadeas' and the Sons of Honor, I think. In WoR after Amaram joins Sadeas on a plateau assault, Amaram says that Sadeas alone knows him like no other, and is bound to him in that way.

Whatever the meaning behind that interaction was, it did not deter Amaram's further investigations for the Sons. I do not think Sadeas himself was party to any of the Sons' agenda, but unless there is something else he had on Amaram, it must be his secret associations. If Sadeas knew then Ialai was likely the one to discover his secret.

So if Ialai herself is a Ghostblood, was she waiting to learn what she could from Amaram? She was not, as far as we know, acting to deter him. Perhaps she was the one to put Mraize onto Amaram's trail. She is clever and informed, and definitley has an ulterior motive, but it did not seem that her cause was further than consoldating power under Sadeas. I think Mraize is taking advantage of the turmoil in the Sadeas camp, and making his presence there more deliberate. It will be great to see where this goes.

12 minutes ago, redbishop said:

Murder aside, he's just a great human being.

This was a beautiful sentence.

Also, can I say that the flashback chapter was probably the most unsettling so far? No dead children, but the whole situation was so.. odd. Hotheaded Dalinar, not seeing farther than his own plate. Gavilar and Dadeas probably going on double dates together with their wives. I loved it, and it really drove home the point of how much things changed. I appreciate the touch of Dalinar refusing to acknowledge his family's relatively humble origins and thinking it was a propaganda lie, when in his previous chapter he was the one who brought that up during the duel.

"Instead we usually break down the walls quickly, or—more commonly—we seize the high ground and use that vantage to pound the city for a while.”

It's official people! Even Gavilar believes in the power of the high ground!

Dalinar was amusing with his "I-don't-see-the-big-deal" attitude. I can see why he might have such a reputation.

In other news, the Kaladin chapter was interesting, if short. Learned more about the voidspren and got to hear more about the parshmen's side of things.

It looks like Shallan might find out about Adolin's murder soon. November can't come quickly enough.

"She sucked in the Light hungrily. She held her breath so it wouldn’t puff out when she breathed, and… suppressed the Light. She could do that, she’d found. To prevent herself from glowing or drawing attention. She’d done that as a child, hadn’t she?"

Between that line and Shallan asking Pattern last week if she had killed her brothers...I think there's more to Shallan's childhood than killing her father and mother.  She did something to her brothers, for good or ill intentions, and suppressed it like everything else.

Okay, some more in-depth thoughts:

*You kind of have to like old Dalinar. He was horrible, yes, but he was a gem as well. Going for a stroll in a Highstorm and casually killing an assassin in seconds... the guy is a badass without even trying. 

*I seem to be the only one on the 17th Shard who finds Kaladins story arc the least interesting. Not that it is bad or anything, but I just find that all the interesting things, with Evi, Ghostbloods, murders and other nations happens at other places. That said, the moral dilemma in Kaladins situation is interesting.

*I feel like Shallan and Adolin fit each other.

*I am not overly fond of Sebarial. He feels like the Gallywix of Stormlight, if anyone knows World of Warcraft lore. 

*Mraize. One of my favorite Brandon characters, whose appearance I have waited for for quite some time. Nice to finally see the guy. Having him with Ialai strengthens my old theory about Sadeas and secret societies (its in my signature, if anyone is interested). 

Stormlight suppression seems an obvious illumination technique. 

And Mraize with Ialai somehow makes his position as a Villain clear? Oh please. He a manipulative member of a secret society. 

Ialai has a well connected spy network. What possible use could he have for using her? 

His goals are still as unknown as ever. 

Just now, Calderis said:

Stormlight suppression seems an obvious illumination technique. 

That's what I thought too though other disagree.

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

And Mraize with Ialai somehow makes his position as a Villain clear? Oh please. He a manipulative member of a secret society. 

Ialai has a well connected spy network. What possible use could he have for using her? 

His goals are still as unknown as ever. 

What makes you think either of them are villains? ;)

“Adolin, dear,” she said, finally pulling the blanket back down to her shoulders, “I could literally survive being stabbed with a sword through the chest. I think I’ll be fine with some ruffians in the market.”

With this thought, I wonder when Shallan will start to think that Jasnah isn't as dead as she might believe.

Edited by ProfessorMLyon

33 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Could that be because its closer to the cognitive realm or whatnot?

I really need a JoeST emoji.

I have to think that the city's position above the storms, nearest the place of honor almost make it a giant battery perhaps? Or it just may be a callout that storm light is really precious right now... not sure ! but either way its exciting!

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

*I seem to be the only one on the 17th Shard who finds Kaladins story arc the least interesting. Not that it is bad or anything, but I just find that all the interesting things, with Evi, Ghostbloods, murders and other nations happens at other places. That said, the moral dilemma in Kaladins situation is interesting.

No, you're not, I also find it the least interesting at the moment. It was great to start off with since it was resolving that plotline which we'd been speculating on for the past 3 years, but now that we've had that payoff, I'm definitely more interested in the other plot threads. It doesn't help that Kaladin is far from my favourite character, Brandon needs to bring back Jasnah soon!

50 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

I only just got there now, and I started reading from the moment that the chapters were released, and I skipped the first one since I'd read the Thrill already. You wouldn't happen to be a Sparker would you?

I copy-paste the newly released chapters into a .docx file, convert that to an e-book and read the chapters on my e-book reader. As a consequence, each time I get a glimpse at the end of the third released chapter. Ialai and Mraize literally jumped into my face before I could pretend not to have read it.

Well, pretense seems to be fashionable right now, Kaladin also has to pretend to think the Parshmen different from humans to be able to fight them. Nothing could go wrong there...
At least the Voidspren is viewed skeptically by the Parshmen. Some hope is left.

The Dalinar flashback was also old stuff for me, really funny to read and with the insight that Renarin is of slight build as his uncle Toh (not Toe).
Hungerspren (poor Dalinar, where the heck is the knife?...) and Shockspren make their appearance.

And then still no mating for Shallan and Adolin, but a surprise meeting with Mraize. How good that Shallan is there, too. Now I think the copycat murders have no supernatural origin. Ialai + Mraize = much worse than Unmade...

Edited by Pattern

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Why would they copy-cat murder a random guy though? And can they really do it in that precise manner? Mraize is good, but not that good.

Why do the ghostbloods do what they do? I guess we will know in some weeks. And I really think Mraize could be able to do such stuff. The ghostbloods do have stuff from other shardworlds, they might have supernatural means to achieve this. But wholly human machinations.

Edited by Pattern