[OB] Oathbringer chapters 19-21

Mestiv

No really big comments this week.  Some worldbuilding work with Sebarial.  The Flashback chapter as anticipated.  It is interesting to note that Evi and Toh apparently did steal the plate from their homeland, and Dalinar essentially purchased said stolen goods as a dowry.  So.. he is in possession of stolen goods.  That will be interesting.

I'm glad Shallan did have to deal with her hangover.  I think it is good learning experience for Veil.  Plus consequences and adulthood, ect, ect.  Also, near miss on discovering Adolin killed Sadeas.  I think he would have told her if she pressed.  But now she wants to have a mystery to unravel with him.  Its not as if they weren't spoiled for things to keep them occupied, or that this is super relevant to everything.

Hi Mraize.

Umm.. Glad that the listeners are starting to feel their Rhythms.  And they don't like the yellow Spren either.  I think this will culminate in Kaladin needing to tell some Alethi to back off and go away, revealing his radiant nature.  This continues to be my favorite thread. 

I shudder at eating from the knife.  Granted, the wine likely sterilized it.  But still.  That was just in someone.  Dalinar to servants "Who do I have to kill to get proper service in here?  And a decent knife?  If you think I'm kidding, just ask the assassin at the last holding.  I will literally stab you to death with your own knife, and then use it to feed myself if no one gets me STORMING USEFUL UTENSILS."

More Gender dynamics!  The Easterners are unfamiliar with safepouches, and Navani is snide! Palona barely conceals hers for massage, open air with guests too!  Shallan explains that not everything should be blamed on periods, common immature/misogynist male mistake encountered and defeated.

No substance this week, really.  More build up chapters.  That's about everything.  Until I read the other comments on this thread and you all point out something I missed that I want to have an opinion on.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Edited by Stark

A large boulder slammed into the wall, then bounced away. Dalinar glanced and saw something luminous in the distance: a gargantuan figure that moved on spindly glowing legs.

This seems really important and significant

“You be a good Radiant,” Sebarial told her, “and get those other Oathgates working. I’ve prepared quite the scheme for taxing passage through them.”

Uh..oh. I don't feel good about this.

“Ash’s eyes, no. I’d rather figure it out. A relationship needs some measure of mystery.”

Possible foreshadowing?

Standing beside her was Mraize, one of the leaders of the Ghostbloods.

Come on! Another week to wait :(

Edited by Herald

“You’re kidding,” Ialai said, scooting over as Sadeas joined them at the high table. The bulbous-faced man settled down on her chair with her, the two of them sitting half on, half off.

“What are we discussing?” Sadeas asked, waving away a master-servant with a chair, then draping his arm around his wife’s shoulders.

That is really worrying, this apparently deep affection those two show. I bet, Ialai is suffering badly, just out of sorrow; that makes her much more dangerous, than I previously thought.

EDT: moved to seperate topic

Edited by Michael Portz

These were some great chapters, with Dalinar being awesome as ever, Kaladin connecting with the parshmen, and Shallan about to confront the two biggest political manipulaters we've seen so far.

But there was one thing I noticed that made me stop in my tracks.

Sanderson has stated that when someone has knowledge about Investiture, they are aware of the Cosmere. So when Adolin made that joke about relationships needing investment because Shallan needs Stormlight, I thought that this is either a slip up with Sanderson or a deliberate clue that Adolin is more then we know. I hope that I am wrong though and that it is a slip up.

Just now, Calderis said:

Oh damnation. I was no expecting that softly buzzed "no mating." 

I think I laughed harder then last time. 

Beware of the no mating, lest it turn into the next Stick. just saying. 

I have to say, these chapters weren't as interesting. I do think Sebarial is worth watching. I already love his disgusting character, and am interested to see where it goes.

Did anyone else catch that Stormlight can be suppressed? I'm not sure what that means, exactly other than being non-glowy but possibly suppressing Stormlight lets you keep it longer (it won't leak away quite so fast).

Shallan is shocked by what she did as Veil, yet also remembering bits of what she did as a child. The fact that she learned to hide Stormlight way back then is not a good indicator, at all. This raises even more questions - before that fateful day, did she know she had to hide her abilities from her mother? 

12 minutes ago, dendrophobe said:

Kaladin's chapters are always so short! WHY?! There's so much good stuff here... I'm definitely seeing the moral obligation slowly dawn on him. I agree that a new Oath will probably come out of it eventually. 

I think we are basically getting a montage of Kaladin deciding that he relates more to the ex-Parshmen than he does to Lighteyes, and he just recently came to terms with that.  The montage allows us to see hints of what he is doing without giving away too much.

So, the ex-Parshmen can all see the Voidspren, and are surprised that Kaladin can't.

As for a new Oath...  are we thinking along the lines of "I will stand up for what is right, even when I am told I am wrong"?

Also, I'm going to leave this here:

“Also,” Adolin added, “we have the strangest conversations.”

I really love the two of them together, and the more I see of Adolin, the more I like him.  Murder aside, he's just a great human being.

2 minutes ago, yulerule said:

Did anyone else catch that Stormlight can be suppressed? I'm not sure what that means, exactly other than being non-glowy but possibly suppressing Stormlight lets you keep it longer (it won't leak away quite so fast).

Do we have to Spoiler-Tag Warbreaker here?  Just to be on the safe side...

Spoiler

This shows a similarity with how we see Vasher suppressing his Breath.  We have already seen that Stormlight can be used as a substitute for Breath, though whether that is because it is fundamentally Investiture or because those two forms are more similar than other forms remains to be seen.  We have a WoB that most systems can be used in a substitutive manner, though some hacking is required.

“I will note,” Sebarial said, “that this Desolation of yours is going to undermine years of my business planning.”

Everybody go home, the Desolation has been held until a more convenient time for Sebarial :ph34r:

“You be a good Radiant,” Sebarial told her, “and get those other Oathgates working. I’ve prepared quite the scheme for taxing passage through them.”

Obviously the least Shallan can do since she inconvenienced you with this whole Desolation, Seb. :lol:

I wonder whether suppressing the Stormlight is a Stormlight technique, or if it's an application of Lightweaving. I could see arguments either way (If it's Stormlight, I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a step towards one of the Plate theories - Controlling and condensing Stormlight seems like step 1 towards creating physical objects with it). 

Feels like Brandon's been paying attention a lot to interracial relations lately.  Conversations between Sah and Kaladin could have been lifted out of today's real life in America.  I'm feeling sympathy for the parshmen and wishing they don't turn evil.  Brandon really is an evil genius some days.

Dalinar...just...damnation man.  He's a walking thunderstorm of contradiction, raw stubbornness and crackling willpower.  Really wondering how he changed from all of that to who he is now.

Shallan and Adolin are a hilarious couple together.  I can't say at all that I'm surprised Mraize shows up for that meeting though I'd really hoped not.  I already thought this was going to be messy.  This sort of confirms it...