[OB] Oathbringer WoB

Kered

4 hours ago, Yitzi2 said:

I'm betting Taravangian.  He's important, mainly disconnected from the main cast, has had a few viewpoint pieces but not many, and has plenty of spoiler material.

Normally, I would agree. However, we have this WoB.

Q: Have you planned out the interludes for Book #3, and if so - any returning characters? Share one?

A: Yes, I have. Taravangian will be one, unless I move it to an actual chapter. We'll have to see how things play out.

There is "one" and "it," which lack plurality. And since he was considering making it a proper chapter, it's more connected to the main story than we'd think.

I think Jasnah has a decent chance at being the interlude protagonist considering she's on the cover of the book. I know the cover artist just picks a climactic scene, but her being heavily involved in such a scene despite not being a regular viewpoint character still suggests something. Plus the epilogue of WoR was setting her up to be a force in this book.

13 hours ago, kiapet said:

I think Jasnah has a decent chance at being the interlude protagonist considering she's on the cover of the book. I know the cover artist just picks a climactic scene, but her being heavily involved in such a scene despite not being a regular viewpoint character still suggests something. Plus the epilogue of WoR was setting her up to be a force in this book.

I agree. Jasnah being on the cover is a strong hint towards having her point of view for the interlude novella. 

On 7/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, kiapet said:

Do not read too much of Jasnah being onto the cover . Brandon explicitly stated Jasnah would only be a supporting character within the first five books. He did say not to expect a big role for her though he did put her onto the cover. I have been trying to locate the WoB in question, but through the maze which is Reddit, I cannot seem to find it again.

3 minutes ago, maxal said:

Do not read too much of Jasnah being onto the cover . Brandon explicitly stated Jasnah would only be a supporting character within the first five books. He did say not to expect a big role for her though he did put her onto the cover. I have been trying to locate the WoB in question, but through the maze which is Reddit, I cannot seem to find it again.

I have a crazy conspiracy theory of why Jasnah was on the cover. Brandon got some criticism from certain people (not me) for allowing a male on the cover when it was Shallans book. Some feminists were upset by this. Perhaps he put Jasnah on the Oathbringer cover to appease these critics? I'm sure I am wrong, but that's my tin foil hat idea for the day.

23 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I have a crazy conspiracy theory of why Jasnah was on the cover. Brandon got some criticism from certain people (not me) for allowing a male on the cover when it was Shallans book. Some feminists were upset by this. Perhaps he put Jasnah on the Oathbringer cover to appease these critics? I'm sure I am wrong, but that's my tin foil hat idea for the day.

Oh I have had the same thoughts, so it certainly isn't tin foil. I do think Jasnah is on the cover for political reasons and not plot related reasons. I would have preferred Dalinar onto the cover as this is his book.

2 hours ago, maxal said:

Supporting characters can still be interlude protagonists; in fact, every character this thread has brought up has been supporting or less. I'm not saying the book will be about her, but Lift got a novella all to her own and she's supposed to be a second half protagonist as well. The cover merely indicates that Jasnah will take an active, if minor, role in Oathbringer, which I would frankly expect from her.

9 hours ago, kiapet said:

Supporting characters can still be interlude protagonists; in fact, every character this thread has brought up has been supporting or less. I'm not saying the book will be about her, but Lift got a novella all to her own and she's supposed to be a second half protagonist as well. The cover merely indicates that Jasnah will take an active, if minor, role in Oathbringer, which I would frankly expect from her.

I would think being an interlude character would make Jasnah more than a supporting character. The cover also highlights she has a role within the main narrative which usually goes against the purpose of the interlude character. I can't say it is definitely not her, but I personally highly doubt it is.

1 hour ago, eveorjoy said:

Okay if it needs to be one of the main five, Szeth will be getting the interlude novella. He and Nale have plenty to do and this was going to be his book originally. 

We'll, he can't. He had his in WoK, and he's gonna have actual chapters near the end of the book. 

I have no idea who the interlude character will be, but I'm just excited to read Oathbringer.

18 hours ago, maxal said:

I have been trying to locate the WoB in question, but through the maze which is Reddit, I cannot seem to find it again.

This one?

[–]mistbornShardbearer[S] 120 points 7 months ago* 

In book one, a main character was absent from several parts. (Dalinar and Shallan alternated.) Same with Words of Radiance, where Dalinar skipped two parts, I believe.

Note that this is an absence of viewpoints from the character, not necessarily an absence of the character entirely.

EDIT: The main characters of the first part of the Stormlight are Shallan, Kaladin, and Dalinar. Two more flashback character (Eshonai and Szeth) can be considered important characters without as many viewpoints, though in the above outline, I'd have listed them as tertiary characters in terms of number of viewpoints.

The actual tertiary characters are Jasnah, Adolin, Navani, and a few that I can't mention as it will be spoilers. These get significant screen time, but only have viewpoints here and there in the first five books. Jasnah, as I've said, grows more important in the back five. Others do as well.

As for the maze itself, Pagerunner does have the Reddit WoB Compilation spreadsheet.

Also, in searching, I found this one about the order of flashback characters

This one is Dalinar most likely. Then (probably) Eshonai, then Szeth. Unless I swap those two.

Back five are Lift, Renarin, Ash, Taln, Jasnah. Not necessarily in that order. (Though that is the planned order right now.)

51 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

This one?

As for the maze itself, Pagerunner does have the Reddit WoB Compilation spreadsheet.

Also, in searching, I found this one about the order of flashback characters

Not this one. There was another one where he stated Jasnah only had a small role in Oathbringer, but he nonetheless put her onto the cover. I couldn't find it within Pagerunner's file. I looked yesterday.

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Brandons books are big enough to upset feminists and have covers for political reasons? Huh. I did not know that.

Not to downplay his popularity, but these days, any group, be it religious, identity, or political based, has members that will find reasons to be upset, no matter the subject matter.

The more famous the object of their ire is, the louder they shout. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Not to downplay his popularity, but these days, any group, be it religious, identity, or political based, has members that will find reasons to be upset, no matter the subject matter.

This is very true, but I thought they stayed at the more famous stuff, like Star Wars or Marvel. Easier to be heard that way. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

Well... As a woman the cover does upset me. I feel we have drop back two decades with it. Do not get my wrong, I love seeing women onto fantasy books covers, but I do not like when they are draw such as to draw attention to their body and their curves. I like it even less when they purposefully do it using a minor character instead of portraying characters currently having a bigger role into the narrative. I also sincerely feel putting Jasnah onto book 3 cover is a tad too early: it is terribly spoiler-y and giving she will be a very big role within the back five, surely she will get another cover. 

It just does not feel like the right choice and because it does not feel like the right choice, it feels as if it was done for "other reasons".

31 minutes ago, maxal said:

Well... As a woman the cover does upset me. I feel we have drop back two decades with it. Do not get my wrong, I love seeing women onto fantasy books covers, but I do not like when they are draw such as to draw attention to their body and their curves. I like it even less when they purposefully do it using a minor character instead of portraying characters currently having a bigger role into the narrative. I also sincerely feel putting Jasnah onto book 3 cover is a tad too early: it is terribly spoiler-y and giving she will be a very big role within the back five, surely she will get another cover. 

It just does not feel like the right choice and because it does not feel like the right choice, it feels as if it was done for "other reasons".

I completely disagree. Jasnah is dressed practically for battle, and in no way does Whelan emphasize her curves. To me, she looks exactly like a powerful woman her age should. Also, Kaladin was not on the cover of WoK, and Shallan was not on the cover of WoR, so I don't understand why anyone expected Dalinar to be on the cover of OB. While I do agree that putting Jasnah on the cover was a tad spoilery, I think you are only seeing what you want to see regarding her figure. I am a woman who is all for desexualizing the media when it comes to women, but I truly believe Michael Whelan chose to do this scene for the cover because he felt it best conveyed the theme of Oathbringer, not to pander to Brandon's female readers.

Let's not forget that most of the time, Brandon chooses a few scenes he thinks would make good covers, and sends those to the artist to play with. He often does this long before the writing is finished, and the artist finishes the cover before he could possibly read the entire book. 

Personally, having read the book, I think this is an awesome choice; the only one that would be more perfect would be soul-crushingly spoilery. 

I can't really think of a good Shallan action scene for the cover of WoR. The tent with Tyn? Sneaking around in disguise? In the portal on the Shattered Plains? What these books have in common is that they all have war or battle scenes on the cover. Since it looks like Jasnah will be taking on the role of combatant, rather than strategist/scholar, it works here. 

49 minutes ago, Frostlander said:

I can't really think of a good Shallan action scene for the cover of WoR. The tent with Tyn? Sneaking around in disguise? In the portal on the Shattered Plains? What these books have in common is that they all have war or battle scenes on the cover. Since it looks like Jasnah will be taking on the role of combatant, rather than strategist/scholar, it works here. 

They could of used the one found on the inside cover of the hardback edition of Words of Radiance. Personally I think it would of been a much better cover if they had. It doesn't have to be a action scene..

On 15.7.2017 at 5:43 AM, maxal said:

Oh I have had the same thoughts, so it certainly isn't tin foil. I do think Jasnah is on the cover for political reasons and not plot related reasons. I would have preferred Dalinar onto the cover as this is his book.

So it's not tin foil... because you've had the same thoughts? No, it's completely tin foil. We have no idea why Jasnah is on the cover, but she more than deserves a place in the spotlight. After all, it's all thanks to her proactive research that our main cast even knows about the threat they're facing. Not only is this book the return of Jasnah from the dead, it's the book where apparently she gets majorly involved in some huge-chull battle.

Edited by Rob Lucci

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

They could of used the one found on the inside cover of the hardback edition of Words of Radiance. Personally I think it would of been a much better cover if they had. It doesn't have to be a action scene..

The endpaper was actually drawn way later after the cover on a whim from Whelan, it almost didn't make it into the book because he submitted it so late. I agree it's the better picture but practically, it couldn't have been the cover since those get announced months before the release. 

Edited by Ravi