[OB] Oathbringer WoB

Kered

The book is a while away, but I wanted to post this here for speculation and to remind us about this WoB for our first book 3 read through. 

Q: Can you tell us who the main interlude character is for this book? Like Szeth for TWoK and Eshonai for WoR. 

A: RAFO.

Q: We know that the recurring interlude character is typically one who plays an important role in events, but is currently not interacting directly with other characters My guess is that it's Jasnah, as she slowly makes her way back to civilixation, or explores Shadesmar.

A: You are correct in that it's someone important, but generally unconnected. It's also, generally, going to be someone who hasn't had a large number of viewpoints so far. it does give a spoiler if i say who is is for this book, though.

Q: Beacuse it's someone we believe dead/ somewhere else/ something along those lines? Kind of like giving away the protagonist of Secret History is a spoiler in an of itself?

A: It's not as big of spoiler as that; it will just set you wondering about something else that IS a spoiler. This will make sense when the book is out. (feel free to ask my rationale when its out).

Q: Is it Tezim, the god-priest of the Tukariu? I'd love to see an interlude focussed on him. There have been many hints that there is something really unusual happening there. 

A: RAFO. :)

This is the first time I have really thought about Tezim and had to look him up. I noticed that all the information on him is found in the 54th chapter in each of the two books we have. I want to say its a coincidence, but if so its a big one. I wonder if there is something about that number...

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I know we hear of him from Mraize in WoR. In tWoK is it from the Diplomat at one of Elhokar's feasts debating whether the city is significant because of religion or trade? 

I just looked it up. You are correct!

Interesting. I doubt the ones I'll guess because they don't appear as significant characters yet, but I guess Eshonai wasn't before sure was.

My first guess is Restares or Amaram, and the spoiler is that it shows the Sons of Honor are a major influence. As they should be with a crazy Herald in their possession. 

My second guess is Mraize or Iyatil, for the same reasons but with the Ghostbloods. And I have maybe an interesting guess associated with that - Shallan. That would be a spoiler because it says she leaves the other characters to be with the Ghostbloods. In favor of this is that both characters so far are flashback characters in other books to come. And if it is to be that pattern, Kaladin wouldn't be much of a spoiler (we already know he's away and what would it spoil), which only leaves Shallan.

So yeah, my bet is on Shallan if it's a flashback character again, or Amaram/Restares if not.

So far, Brandon has used the interlude novella to present future main protagonists without clogging the main narrative. Three books in, I do not see him changing the trend nor do I see him introducing yet another viewpoint characters as we are starting to get heavy with those. We already know the Part 2 novella will introduce a new viewpoint character of importance (similar to Adolin), I say there won't a second one. I thus doubt Amaram and/or Mraize will be getting anything more than an occasional viewpoint such as Sadeas.

I think this character is one we have seen and read from before but not much of.

Contenders could be Jasnah, Rysn, Lift and Taln.

Jasnah, I think it unlikely because I suspect she will play a role within the main narrative, so I would strike her out.

Rysn, I think it possible because she is kind of a blind card right now: she may or may not grow into this story.

Lift is also very likely because Brandon loves to write Lift and with the novella, I expect him to write more and more of her. I expect it would be her because Brandon said she had "viewpoints" with an "s", but I forgot about the spoiler related WoB.

Taln, I think because he is supposed to become main protagonist, but we know nothing about him.

Shuffling all of those together and taking the WoB into consideration, I do think Taln is the one. Why? Because he is the only one which would contain a spoiler Brandon isn't willing to drop just yet, meaning his real identity.

i think it's going to be Taln. Spoiler would be either the switching of his honorblade or the involvement of the Sons of Honor. This book is obviously going to have a certain emphasis on oaths since it's Dalinars book. I think Taln being the only Herald to hold onto the Oathpact plays into the oath theme, so I think he's going to get more screen time this time around.  

It is pretty crazy that the original main protagonist isn't in the first book at all until the tail end and is only a side character in the second book. In my mind, Kaladin is the lead character, followed closely by Dalinar and Shallan. That may not have been Brandon's intention when he first thought of the story but Kaladin has been dominating these books. He carried nearly half of Shallan's book and had more of a complete story arc than her. Also, he will be having Flashbacks in Dalinar's book. Tain is going to have a hard time removing Kaladin from his place in the readers' minds in the first five books. Now he might overtake Kaladin in the last five. Taln's getting a book in the back half and after book five things may change so dramatically that Tain supplanting Kaladin will feel natural.

I, personally, hope it is Tain who is our main interlude point of view. Brandon did say he would make it clear whether or not Tain is a Herald soon, unlike his original plans when Tain was the main character. I'm sure he is, but Brandon has never admitted this was the case and has even tried to make people question it.

November can't come soon enough.

28 minutes ago, eveorjoy said:

It is pretty crazy that the original main protagonist isn't in the first book at all until the tail end and is only a side character in the second book. In my mind, Kaladin is the lead character, followed closely by Dalinar and Shallan. That may not have been Brandon's intention when he first thought of the story but Kaladin has been dominating these books. He carried nearly half of Shallan's book and had more of a complete story arc than her. Also, he will be having Flashbacks in Dalinar's book. Tain is going to have a hard time removing Kaladin from his place in the readers' minds in the first five books. Now he might overtake Kaladin in the last five. Taln's getting a book in the back half and after book five things may change so dramatically that Tain supplanting Kaladin will feel natural.

I, personally, hope it is Tain who is our main interlude point of view. Brandon did say he would make it clear whether or not Tain is a Herald soon, unlike his original plans when Tain was the main character. I'm sure he is, but Brandon has never admitted this was the case and has even tried to make people question it.

November can't come soon enough.

Actually, Brandon's original protagonist has always been Dalinar. In WoK Prime, he had several major viewpoint characters: Dalinar, Kaladin (then named Merrin), Jasnah, Renarin, Taln. There also were a character which isn't Shallan, but stood in her place. Szeth was also a character in the story. This draft didn't work out: too many viewpoints, the story stalled, too little connection in between the various characters. He changed that when he re-wrote WoK and he decided some viewpoints, Renarin, Jasnah and Taln would not be developed until a later time. 

Taln, he created on the idea of a man which wakes up from a long sleep and thinks he knows who he is, but at the same time isn't sure. His original story arc was him shuffling around with his identity. Now, Brandon has said he won't be able to use the same story arc as he can't have readers wonder if Taln is really Taln until book 6. He said we would find out much sooner than that (in Oathbringer perhaps?).

I personally do not find it off Taln does not have viewpoints as I quite frankly have no idea what they might be. I also don't fancy reading a man which is crazy and locked down in a cell, so postponing does seem like a smart move. The second half is said to focus on a completely different cast, hence, I find it normal we aren't spending much time with them just yet, but Taln's mystery might be something Brandon wants to tackle now.

As for Kaladin, well, yeah, he is the main protagonist of the story and I don't expect it to change for the first arc. I would Shallan comes next, Dalinar is only third. He has much less page time then they, he is basically nearly equal to Adolin. I don't think Taln ever were the "main protagonist" of the story, as a Herald, I think he would have always been somewhat lesser than the other characters, but these are just my thoughts. I don't recall reading anything saying Taln was the main protagonist of WoK Prime, but it maybe I missed it.

5 hours ago, maxal said:

I don't think Taln ever were the "main protagonist" of the story, as a Herald, I think he would have always been somewhat lesser than the other characters, but these are just my thoughts. I don't recall reading anything saying Taln was the main protagonist of WoK Prime, but it maybe I missed it.

WoB in answer to the #FAQFriday winning question of the week for May 16, 2017. I am not going to post the whole answer, but it can be found here. Bold added by me. 

The other issue here is the somewhat lesser question of whether this character is actually Taln, the Herald, or not. Some characters in world don’t believe that it is, though his viewpoint in Words of Radiance strongly implies otherwise. This isn’t specifically relevant to the conversation for reasons I’ll talk about below–but it is tangentially related. Because in the Cosmere, intent is important to many of the types of magic. It’s theoretically possible to hold an Honorblade and not realize what its powers are, and therefore be unable to access them.

As an aside, this character was actually the primary protagonist of the version of The Way of Kings I wrote in 2002. A man who woke up, with lingering memories of madness, and claimed to be a Herald when nobody believed him–as he couldn’t manifest any powers, seemed to have lost his sword, and lore said the Heralds weren’t coming back anyway.

As for Taln being crazy, maybe his Point of View interludes could be about him regaining his sanity and what the Sons of Honor plan to do. Even if the first few interludes were only Taln listening as Restares and Amaram plan that would be interesting. I guess we shall see. 

Jasnah having her own little interlude novella would be fun as well to read. Or maybe Lift, my favorite if you couldn't tell, but I think Lift will only get a few interludes here and there until she either joins the other Knights Radiants or the back five books where she gets her own book. :( Lift's book is likely over twenty years away. :( But hey she got a novella so I guess I should not complain.;)

1 minute ago, eveorjoy said:

WoB in answer to the #FAQFriday winning question of the week for May 16, 2017. I am not going to post the whole answer, but it can be found here. Bold added by me. 

Oh thanks. I read that, but I guess I forgot about the parts you highlighted. I am surprised by them though: Taln never stroke to me as main, main protagonist, just an important character, but never as important as say Kaladin. I find it an odd choice as, well these are my personal thoughts, I don't find him particularly interesting. I guess I just don't fancy readings about Heralds and/or near Gods: I prefer reading about normal people such Kaladin and Adolin.

4 minutes ago, eveorjoy said:

As for Taln being crazy, maybe his Point of View interludes could be about him regaining his sanity and what the Sons of Honor plan to do. Even if the first few interludes were only Taln listening as Restares and Amaram plan that would be interesting. I guess we shall see. 

Jasnah having her own little interlude novella would be fun as well to read. Or maybe Lift, my favorite if you couldn't tell, but I think Lift will only get a few interludes here and there until she either joins the other Knights Radiants or the back five books where she gets her own book. :( Lift's book is likely over twenty years away. :( But hey she got a novella so I guess I should not complain.;)

In between Jasnah , Lift and Taln, I personally prefer Taln. Lift, we already had a novella on her, I thought it was enough. Jasnah, I don't really care about her, I have little interest into reading her viewpoints. Taln, well, he is mysterious, so he would be my preferred choice.

My hope is Taln or Moash. With one we get Sons of Honor info. The other The Diagram. 

I'd be okay with Jasnah. 

I like Lift, but until she grows up, I can only handle her in doses, and seeing as we just had Edgedancer, I'd prefer it be someone else. 

I know Moash doesn't fit the main protagonist format, so if that sticks I want it to be Taln, if not... I think I'd actually prefer Moash just because I want to see more of the Diagram. 

Edited by Calderis

Just now, Kered said:

Which makes me think Renarin is going to carry the back 5 books quite a bit. 

I don't know, I have no idea what Brandon's plans for him are. I however do not get the feel Renarin is a major, major protagonist: he isn't pro-active enough. I don't think he could carry on the main narrative: I see him more as a supporting character.

I'd like to get more of Rysn, as she's a bit of a personal favorite. I see it as somewhat unlikely for her to be the recurring Interlude PoV though, for now.

We know she's got a Larkin, and we know Larkins are a stage in the life cycle of the Lanceryn, which is a essentially extinct Greatshell from Aimia. I imagine those take a long time to grow, say.. 15 years? ;)

My theory is this: She and her full-grown Lanceryn could be the recurring Interlude PoV in one of the back half books, and it'll be glorious.

On 7/9/2017 at 9:12 PM, Kered said:

Which makes me think Renarin is going to carry the back 5 books quite a bit. 

Well, he does get his own flashback book, probably book 7(in my guessing pattern) so he's definitely got some share of the main narrative later on.

Edited by The One Who Connects
Added source link. Edit 2, Fixed broken Source Link

3 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I'd like to get more of Rysn, as she's a bit of a personal favorite. I see it as somewhat unlikely for her to be the recurring Interlude PoV though, for now.

We know she's got a Larkin, and we know Larkins are a stage in the life cycle of the Lanceryn, which is a essentially extinct Greatshell from Aimia. I imagine those take a long time to grow, say.. 15 years? ;)

My theory is this: She and her full-grown Lanceryn could be the recurring Interlude PoV in one of the back half books, and it'll be glorious.

Well, he does get his own flashback book, probably book 7(in my guessing pattern) so he's definitely got some share of the main narrative later on.

A. Greed. On all counts. I love Rysn, I love her pet and your 15 year life cycle idea makes me excited. 

2 hours ago, Extesian said:

A. Greed. On all counts. I love Rysn, I love her pet and your 15 year life cycle idea makes me excited. 

Seconded. Rysn coming to save the day on a huge greatshell would go down as one of my favorite scenes in Stormlight. 

Don't forget. She'll be riding around on a greatshell that sucks Stormlight out of people/things. 

I know it's unlikely, but I'm going to keep telling myself that, like Larkin, Lanceryn can still fly. 

So in my head, Rysn is paralyzed and it doesn't even matter cause she's riding a flying greatshell that feeds on Stormlight. 

I'll read that for years. 

3 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Someone's going to have to have some insight over the new Odium after either Adolin or Dalinar takes the shard at the end of book 5. 

28 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Don't forget. She'll be riding around on a greatshell that sucks Stormlight out of people/things. 

I know it's unlikely, but I'm going to keep telling myself that, like Larkin, Lanceryn can still fly. 

So in my head, Rysn is paralyzed and it doesn't even matter cause she's riding a flying greatshell that feeds on Stormlight. 

I'll read that for years. 

I'm imagining Princess Peach riding a flying shell, singing "you can't take the sky from me". Either that or "Rysn up, back on the streets". Or "come on up for the Rysn tonight". Or "Baby I think I'm capsizin', the waves are Rysn, and Rysn".

Fin

Edited by Extesian
Had to add terrible puns sorry

14 hours ago, Extesian said:

I'm imagining Princess Peach riding a flying shell, singing "you can't take the sky from me". Either that or "Rysn up, back on the streets". Or "come on up for the Rysn tonight". Or "Baby I think I'm capsizin', the waves are Rysn, and Rysn".

Fin

What have I done? :) All things considered, I love the support. Thought I was in the minority for liking Rysn for a while.

20 hours ago, Extesian said:

Fin

Now every time I read a Rysn chapter, this will be the first thing to pop into my head.