Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

47 minutes ago, EmiTheNinja said:

I... I don’t know what to say. I have really REALLY rough moments in my life now, mostly because the quarantine and stuff. Like I couldn’t cry at all and now crying is something so basic... literally every day. Even now, I’m crying. I just feel like a total trash without almost any purpose to life, except the Shard and having hope that future will be better. I... just have no idea what to do and there is no one to make me happy now, when my cat is gone. :(

Emi, I know that feeling, and it absolutely stinks. Know that you brighten my day every time I see one of your posts. I hope that you feel better soon, and if you need someone to talk to you can always pm me.

1 hour ago, EmiTheNinja said:

I... I don’t know what to say. I have really REALLY rough moments in my life now, mostly because the quarantine and stuff. Like I couldn’t cry at all and now crying is something so basic... literally every day. Even now, I’m crying. I just feel like a total trash without almost any purpose to life, except the Shard and having hope that future will be better. I... just have no idea what to do and there is no one to make me happy now, when my cat is gone. :(

*hugs* I'm really sorry you're feeling this way. I'm always happy to listen. *hugs again*

25 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Emi, I know that feeling, and it absolutely stinks. Know that you brighten my day every time I see one of your posts. I hope that you feel better soon, and if you need someone to talk to you can always pm me.

Luna, you make me soooo much happier every time you post too. Like really, I’m smiling. I have no idea how the whole Shard is that good at enlightening our days... :)

12 minutes ago, Mist said:

*hugs* I'm really sorry you're feeling this way. I'm always happy to listen. *hugs again*

Thank you! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 0:21 PM, Ooklara said:

Here's a relevant graphic for folks feeling under the weather: it helps to identify what your problem is (mine is that these graphics always load sideways for me on the Shared, codsarnit!)

This was made in reference to Covid- created isolation, but I think can be adapted for broader scenarios. 

126867877_3886287628056806_3103112178646119499_o.png

I think I’m straddling between Surviving and Struggling. I hit a bit of a mental wall yesterday at work and it took me a couple hours today to get something simple done. I don’t know if I can make it to the end of my work contract at this rate.

In minor badness some people on YouTube keep arguing with me on a genealogy related video for using the geographic term British Islands/The Islands, this was me just saying it in reference to my heritage of my family coming from England, Scotland and Ireland making me a child of the British Isles, and they are now acting like I’m putting Ireland down and all but saying I’m not worthy of my heritage for using a common geographic name that’s even defined by Merriam Webster to refer to those islands by that name.

*hugs* to everyone else in this thread.

My day hasn't been a terrible one, but I'm pretty swamped with homework at the moment, and I'm supposed to clean the kitchen today, not to mention study for a Quizbowl tournament on Saturday. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed - maybe posting on here will make me feel better.

@Draginon Identity and its associated politics can be...a trip... add to that the looming spectre of British imperialism and I can see where such conversations, started in the spirit of rationality, can turn into another battleground against historic injustice. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is: do your best to not let those comments get you down. They are not really about your identity or genealogical history. They are an opportunity for them to engage in a conversation that you were not even having. 

It has been 5 minutes and so I'm back to vent. I just had one of the singularly most stressful moments of my professional career. In my line of work I help college students of many backgrounds improve their writing. This means that there are times when care and patience a needed because for some the English language is unfamiliar. I do my best to move slowly and clearly through the work at hand so that the students will get the maximum benefit from the sessions. I am always respectful of the students and never lose my temper with them. Any frustration that I may feel is never vented at the students. I have never been accused of being anything other than professional. This afternoon a student for whom English was a second language came for help and well things did not go well. There was a time limit on the session as I had another an hour after this one (that is the standard length of a session.) The student's paper required work so we went through it step by step. However, the more that I explained the more frustrated and confused the student became. I calmly kept reexplaining what I was saying to ensure that there was no misunderstanding. No matter what I said the student insisted that this is what they had done. I never lost my temper. I stayed calm and collected throughout despite my rising annoyance. Things boiled over when the student lost their temper at me. They accused me of not being professional and not caring about their work. I was almost speechless as I have never been called to task like that ever!! I didn't know what to say. Time ran out and I even gave them more to try and explain things again, but it was hopeless. I ended up apologizing for not being helpful and then I ended the session. I'm just so drained. There is little more that I could have done, but the whole thing rattled me.

Now ya'll can go back to your regularly scheduled programming which I rudely interrupted.

19 hours ago, Ookla the Imperium said:

Oh, @Nathrangking that sounds so frustrating! :( Good on you for not getting frustrated, that's impressive. I think you did the best you could have done. *hugs*

There is a part of me which knows that I did what I could. However, I needed to hear it from someone else. The whole thing was just so unsettling that it cuts deep. Thank you!!

19 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

It has been 5 minutes and so I'm back to vent. I just had one of the singularly most stressful moments of my professional career. In my line of work I help college students of many backgrounds improve their writing. This means that there are times when care and patience a needed because for some the English language is unfamiliar. I do my best to move slowly and clearly through the work at hand so that the students will get the maximum benefit from the sessions. I am always respectful of the students and never lose my temper with them. Any frustration that I may feel is never vented at the students. I have never been accused of being anything other than professional. This afternoon a student for whom English was a second language came for help and well things did not go well. There was a time limit on the session as I had another an hour after this one (that is the standard length of a session.) The student's paper required work so we went through it step by step. However, the more that I explained the more frustrated and confused the student became. I calmly kept reexplaining what I was saying to ensure that there was no misunderstanding. No matter what I said the student insisted that this is what they had done. I never lost my temper. I stayed calm and collected throughout despite my rising annoyance. Things boiled over when the student lost their temper at me. They accused me of not being professional and not caring about their work. I was almost speechless as I have never been called to task like that ever!! I didn't know what to say. Time ran out and I even gave them more to try and explain things again, but it was hopeless. I ended up apologizing for not being helpful and then I ended the session. I'm just so drained. There is little more that I could have done, but the whole thing rattled me.

Now ya'll can go back to your regularly scheduled programming which I rudely interrupted.

You did really really well considering the circumstances, I doubt I could have kept my cool as you did! *hugs*

Just now, Ookla the Sly said:

You did really really well considering the circumstances, I doubt I could have kept my cool as you did! *hugs*

I was so close to losing it with the student. It takes a great deal to get under my skin. Those accusations those hit a chink in my armor. It took a massive level of control. That was where my questioned professionalism was needed. It was not just about not being fired. I refused to allow the student to have that kind of power over me, but how close I got to giving in is very uncomfortable.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

Wow, that's so much self control. Impressive, and I hope it gets better!

I hope to never end up in such a situation again. My self control will likely grow in time. For now I needed the support system and I am truly grateful for all of you!!

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

When you finally admit you can't do something because you were never as good at it as you thought and you give it up because you suck at it….that shouldn't make you feel worse, but here we are. 

*hugs* I know that must feel bad.