The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Are the Ghostbloods and the Seventeenth Shard working together?

Was Pai a Worldhopper?

Has Cultivation Invested herself on Ashyn?

(and for my favorite...)

If Nightblood had been given a very different Command, say, "moo upon being unsheathed," would the sword still consume Investiture?

(Many thanks to this thread for that inspiration.)

I'm reasonably sure that isn't how actual dissociative identity disorder works...

Can you Command multiple things at once? For example, could you hold two straw-men and two colored handkerchiefs, and Command them both at once to "Dance About"? I'm guessing not since Vasher awakens the straw men one-by-one when he's looking for that tunnel with Vivenna (I think, if I'm remembering the scene correctly... I've just begun a re-read so I will see it again soon enough). What about withdrawing Breath? If I have 10 ropes, and I've simply stored 5 Breaths in each, and I wrap all ten around my arm and say, "Your Breath to mine," will I suck up all 50 Breaths at once? Or would I have to do it 10 times?

Maybe I'm opening up a can of worms here, but I think that it depends on whether the ropes see themselves Cognitively as a unit, or as individual ropes, sort of in the "something is in the time-bubble if it sees itself as in the time bubble" vein. Commanding is heavily influenced by Cognitives aspects and views. 

I'm reasonably sure that isn't how actual dissociative identity disorder works...

I didn't phrase that well, would an awakener of feruchemist be able to tap minds or invested breaths that were stored by the other personality? Would the two personalities present enough cognitive difference that the minds/breaths wouldn't recognize the other as the owner?

Edited by Darkarma

RAFO bait, but I like the thought in this thread by grinachu ... is Reya Cultivation's name?

I think it fits with Wyndle's comments on "mother", and it's worth a shot!

Lift. “Mother has given up on your kind. I can feel it. She doesn’t care any longer. Now that He’s gone . . .”

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 695). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 
Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

Awakening does not require a spoken command, those of the Tenth Heightening have the "Mental Command" ability, this is how the God Kings transfer their Breath to their successors despite lacking tongues.

@Hoodie/Weiry

On top of that the question of sign language isn't an obvious one on the face of the problem, so it really is necessary to ask Brandon something that directly incorporates the deaf/mute/sign-language element.

@weirywriter - I do remember hearing or seeing that somewhere, I guess the question is more for "normal" awakeners not those of the 10th Heightening!

If we want to combine them, "does Awakening require a spoken command, or would someone raised only on sign language be able to use that?"

@weirywriter - I do remember hearing or seeing that somewhere, I guess the question is more for "normal" awakeners not those of the 10th Heightening!

If we want to combine them, "does Awakening require a spoken command, or would someone raised only on sign language be able to use that?"

Just ask "Would someone raised only on sign language be able to Awaken?" If the answer is yes, then we know there's no speaking needed. If the answer is no, there's a chance that Brandon will say whether or not a spoken command is required. If it's RAFOd, more information can be found out if you don't use an either/or format.

New note: Looks like I haven't actually dropped my running list of questions onto this thread yet. Oops. Here goes (a few may be repeats of existing questions, sorry if that's the case):

:Post post-WoR

Could you please explain how light interacts with time bubbles, Realmatically? I know there is handwavium involved to stop redshift/blueshift and microwaving and the like, but what's the in-world workaround?

Do time bubbles "distend" around non-included objects? So if you have a big train going by that's not giong to be part of a cadmium bubble, will someone on the oppose side of the tracks still be included in the bubble?
-If any living thing touching a time bubble is affected by it, and the occupants of a train that's not affected by a time bubble are also not affected, then are those occupants still "touching" the bubble?

:Post-WoR:

Is the "jostling" projectiles suffer as they leave speed bubbles mathematically modelable, or entirely arbitrary?

Does being the donor of a Hemalurgic spike have any implications for your afterlife? Are there a bunch of Scadrian souls wandering the afterlife with holes their personalities/memories/identities?

Could Miles heal back his Allomancy if it was spiked out of him?

You've said that Drabs on Nalthis don't have Innate Investiture: How are they still sentient, then?

Is there any difference between the healing that Feruchemical gold and held-Stormlight can accomplish? Can use of Regrowth accomplish more than Feruchemical gold, such as healing chronic conditions like poor eyesight?

What connection is there between Lifeless and Shard-severed limbs?
What connection is there between the color-draining of Shard-severed limbs and the color-drain of Lifeless/Awakening?
-There's a theory that the color-drain of Awakening is actually the initial Command feeding off energy released when and object's Spiritual connections are broken/an object is Spiritually damaged.

What's the significance of "Zahel's" instructions to Adolin on how to command his Blade when he throws it and the way that Awakening works? Is this some Cosmere-fundamental, or just a quirk of Vasher's particular expertise?

Can a Feruchemist manipulate Identity in such a way that he can make metalminds that anyone else—even a muggle—can tap?

Can a Feruchemist on Nalthis manipulate his Identity such that he can say "Breath return" and steal Breath from someone else's Awakened item?

How long does it take before a newly-made chair starts thinking of itself as a singular object, rather than as just individual components?

Why did Syl turn into a hammer during Kaladin's fight with Szeth? A hammer might be better against Plate, perhaps, but not against squishy flesh.

If a bunch of pieces of wood in the depths of space (without anyone watching) happened to drift into and stick to each other to form a chair, would that object think of itself as a "chair", or even as a singular object?

---

Can iron/steel affect metal on the otherside of a bendalloy/cadmium bubble; similarly can emotional allomancy affect people on the other side?

Does metal have to be in an allomancer's for a leecher to effect it? Or just inside a human? Or just inside a living thing? If Inquisitors could theoretically burn their spikes does that mean a leecher could also affect them?

Could Ruin puppeteer any lifeless that had a single hemalurgic spike implanted?

What would happen to a Kandra with two sets of Blessing spikes (like TenSoon) who was bisected such that one set ended up in each half?
-What about a Kandra with just the two spikes who got one in each half?

---

:RAFO Bait:
Nightblood eats Investiture: So what would happen if you threw him into a highstorm, or into the mists on Scadrial?

What is Lerasium's Feruchemical effect?

------
Are there such things as "Feruchemical savants"? Was Miles one, a "savant" in Feruchemical gold?

Do Cognitive aspects generally include people's clothing to some extent?
-To what extend to do people's Cognitive selves include their clothing?

Why did Jasnah's combat-soulcasting of the alley thugs affect the clothing of some of them but not of others?

----
FORMS:

Did some "ideal" of what it is to be human act upon TLR such that he still aged, despite the possibility  that he ought to have been able to get away with a Cognitive view as immortal and unaging?

Are "ideals" in the Spiritual Realm responsible for why symbols on Sel have magical meaning, like how it's "known" by the Dor that AonAon represents Arelon?

Are "ideals" in the Spiritual Realm the reason why "instinctive Awakening" works, or why specific Command phrases are "discovered" rather than Awakeners being capable of formulating new ones out of whole cloth?

Do Soulcasters draw upon some kind of "ideals" in the Spiritual Realm when they transform a material, such as an "ideal" (or "Essence", in this case) of blood when soulcasting something into blood?
-Me: Almost certainly, given Brandon's comments on soulcast allomantic alloys.

----

What exactly was Shai's Soulforging of Ashraven comparing itself to to see how well it sticks? His Spiritual aspect? Cognitive aspect? The totality of other people's conceptions of him?

How, exactly, does Hemalurgic decay work for Feruchemy? Do Inquisitors have a cap on how much they can store at a time, or do they "waste" Health when they store (so they'd be lying around at 80% health but only storing 10%, for instance), or do they draw it out less efficiently than real Feruchemists?

Why does Feruchemical Gold sometimes leave scars and sometimes not?

---

So what's up with frame of reference for time bubbles?
-Who's decides what "still is"? The bubbler? The bubble? The object the bubble is "anchored" to? The objects in the bubble?

Are Feruchemical attributes stored in the Physical metal of metalminds, or in their Spiritual aspects?

Is there any meaningful difference between the metalminds of a Feruchemists who stores 10% weight for 10 hours in the first metalmind, and then 100% for 1 hour in a second metalmind?

Would an embedded Brass metalmind melt at high temperatures? What about one that's completely buried in the skin?
-Me: Probably: Water in your stomach oughtn't to boil away

If Dalinar were a Feruchemist, would he be able to tap a metalmind (in either world) while experiencing one of his visions?

Does the Blessing of Presence help a Kandra against takeover by emotional Allomancy, or only against Ruin?
-Me: Probably both.

Could you please explain how Feruchemical brass goes about being a "Cognitive" metal? I know you had to retcon it in, and had originally intended it to be a physical metal, but how does it work Realmatically as Cognitive?

Edited by Kurkistan

If Kelsier had been Nalthian and died the way he had on Nalthis, would he have Returned? Regardless, did he see the future the way Llarimar claims all dead people do?

This WoB suggests that you need a gen-u-ine Endowment-approved Breath in order to Return, for what it's worth. It's still not 100%, though.