The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

There are no splinters on Scadrial, confirmed by WoB. That said, seems likely that splinters require a focus, so a Scadrian splinter would probably have metal somewhere.

I have a question.

When you flare cadmium/bendalloy, what does it do? Does it:

a ) speed up / slow down time even quicker in the bubble, or;

b ) increase the size of the bubble

Edited by TenSoon

Thanks for that.

If that's the case, is there any way for a cadmium/ bendalloy burner to make their bubble bigger or smaller? I presume there is to a certain extent, because Marasi says:

I can make one (time bubble) the size of a small room.

So she could make one time bubble the size of a small room, but maybe she could make one that was smaller?

Edited by TenSoon

What do the Metallic arts symbols do?

The Metallic Arts symbols themselves mean nothing. They merely represent the metal and metallic art. For example, the allomantic pewter symbol does nothing, but an allomancer burning pewter will have increased strength and endurance.

The Metallic Arts symbols themselves mean nothing. They merely represent the metal and metallic art. For example, the allomantic pewter symbol does nothing, but an allomancer burning pewter will have increased strength and endurance.

Is there WoB on that? Because I was having a thought that the symbols are linked to how the southern continent uses the Metalic arts.

Thanks for that.

If that's the case, is there any way for a cadmium/ bendalloy burner to make their bubble bigger or smaller? I presume there is to a certain extent, because Marasi says:

So she could make one time bubble the size of a small room, but maybe she could make one that was smaller?

My assumption here is that extra power can be put into either size, "compression factor", or both, as a rule.

Well, Suse is a Returned, so it seems to work the same as normal.

Ok, Susebron lacked his tongue, so maybe the Returned Breath was consumed during the process of Healing (do Returned Breaths do that, normally?). What if the Returned who received the Breath did not need any Healing? Can you stack Returned Breath?

With what we know now about Healing oneself and perception (Kaladin's arm and scar), would Susebron have been able to regrow his tongue by changig his perception of himself? He must have had enough Investiture to do it.

Would the instrument know what music was? You would need a very specific, yet broadly-reaching intent for the Command if you actually were aiming for the instrument to produce good music. Otherwise, I think that the Breath used to Awaken the instrument would just be stored in it. If "Fetch keys" is a complicated Command, I would think that "Play music" involves too many abstract concepts to be really plausible for anyone to execute, especially if they don't have much familiarity with how music is made. 

Even with Vasher's mastery of Awakening, I find it highly doubtful that he could make something useful with that command. I don't know if he's ever worked with music before either.  :)

What would happen if Vasher Awakened a musical instrument with the Command 'play music'?

Would the instrument know what music was? You would need a very specific, yet broadly-reaching intent for the Command if you actually were aiming for the instrument to produce good music. Otherwise, I think that the Breath used to Awaken the instrument would just be stored in it. If "Fetch keys" is a complicated Command, I would think that "Play music" involves too many abstract concepts to be really plausible for anyone to execute, especially if they don't have much familiarity with how music is made. 

Even with Vasher's mastery of Awakening, I find it highly doubtful that he could make something useful with that command. I don't know if he's ever worked with music before either.  :)

I beleive an instrament could be commanded to play, but could not necessarily awakened to do so.

Vasher does something similar with fighting: he commands a set of clothes to "fight as I would", allowing the clothing to fight with the same skill as Vasher himself.

Clearly, this requires an unusual mastery of awakening, but a similar principle could probably be applied to music. ("Play X song as I would play it.") Even if this kind of command failed, "repeat the next song I play" would still have a chance of success.

my thought on why this might work is because, though 'music', 'fight with skill', and 'good and evil' are all abstract concepts, the command to "do as I do" is less so, because there is a concrete example to follow.

Edited by entropicscholar

Can Mistborn draw power from Preservation and just hold it, not filtering it through a metal?

Edit: Thinking about it, the metal itself is probably what causes Investiture to be drawn from the link to Preservation, so it's doubtful. Still, you might be able to find a way to burn a metal without releasing its regular power. Question still stands.

Edited by Moogle