What are you playing right now?

I still wouldn't say they fixed the issue, they merely toned it down a lot. As a result of the changes, the game heavily favors the Defensive Stance (pair up) over the Attack Stance (adjacent spaces). This favoring is due to a few things, but the main one is that they removed the True Hit system without adjusting anything else. As a result, I would say this is the most defensive FE to date. 

I'm all mages, myrms, and peg knights (glass cannon. Except peg knights, which are just glass). Hit 'em fast, hit 'em hard. I'm quite horrible at defense chapters, because I always go on the offensive, which doesn't work because sometimes you are not supposed to be able to.

About FF ... if you haven't played a tactics game, do it. The learning curve is bad if you've never played any other FF game, and the battle turn system will drive you nuts until you learn how to exploit it, but all in all, they're pretty good games. War of the Lions is the best, than Tactics A2, then Tactics Advance.

Also, prepare for heavily rigged RNG. It's worse than Fire Emblem, if such a thing is possible.

I ll disagree on VIII being bad that's reserved for the XIII's.

8 is what got me back into gaming. I had sold my consoles 2-3 yrs before and then one day in 1999 I saw the Ad for 8 on tv and when it ended I dressed went to Walmart and bought PS and game so 8 has a very warm place in my heart.

I'm all mages, myrms, and peg knights (glass cannon. Except peg knights, which are just glass). Hit 'em fast, hit 'em hard. I'm quite horrible at defense chapters, because I always go on the offensive, which doesn't work because sometimes you are not supposed to be able to.

That was my play style too, relying mostly on dodging and a fast offensive presence to avoid taking damage. The doesn't work half as well as it used to in FE14 thanks to the removal of True Hit.

That was my play style too, relying mostly on dodging and a fast offensive presence to avoid taking damage. The doesn't work half as well as it used to in FE14 thanks to the removal of True Hit.

I had to wiki that. I knew the mechanics of "True hit", but I didn't know the name. That's horrible. Absolutely horrible. I can see why you'd want to go on the defensive. Knight up! (How many playable knights are there? One probably, knowing FE.)

For those trying to follow this exchange: True Hit is using the average of 2 random numbers rather than one. This skews the distribution to the middle, meaning that high hit rates hit more than they should, and low hit rates hit less than they should. Also peg knight is pegasus knight

(How many playable knights are there? One probably, knowing FE.)

There's 2 Knights (3 if you pick Knight for the avatar's second class), without counting potential class changing after marriages. Both are on the Nohr side (Conquest). Hoshido (Birthright) is pretty much completely reliant on dodges, as there's two or three units with good DEF.

I ll disagree on VIII being bad that's reserved for the XIII's.

8 is what got me back into gaming. I had sold my consoles 2-3 yrs before and then one day in 1999 I saw the Ad for 8 on tv and when it ended I dressed went to Walmart and bought PS and game so 8 has a very warm place in my heart.

I'm reserving judgement on the XIII games.  I migth play them one day, if I ever get a console that can, but until then, 8 ranks lowest for me...give or take X-2, which I also haven't played.  If I found it cheap in a used game store, I'd give it a try.

To the comment about Tactics: I found the original Tactics to be far to slow and too dreary, but I played Tactics Advance before tryign the original Tactics.  I like Tactics Advance best, followed by A2 (they improved on some things, but made others worse, for an overall wash.  if they had done better on the new races, and their unique classes, that would probably push this to first place, but as it stands, I was underwhelmed), then Tactics.  it is still a solid game, but playing it feels like a marathon

Did you play Tactics, or the remake of Tactics War of the Lions? War of the Lions is much better.

...And, yeah, there's grinding that can sometimes take a couple hours in between story missions. Unless, you use certain set-ups.

the original.  not tried war of the lions, so I'll take your word for that.

the grinding did tend to get old fast, also, I kind of like in Advance how there is a definitive set number of missions.  you know that the only missions that will advance plot and/or sidequests are the ones you haven't beaten yet.  anythign else is just for loot.  with tactics, I just wasn't sure what certain things were doing.  the treasures and discovering new lands was kinda cool, but would have been better if they had actually had any value.

Storyline is a lot more clear in WotL, but grinding is still (mostly) pointless, unless you're packing orators, or thieves.

War of the Lions still has one of my favorite FF characters, such as Ramza Beovolve, Agrias Oaks, Cidolfus Orlandeau, and Balthier. Oh, and Luso from A2 shows up. and Cloud who is horrible and broken at the same time.

So long as you keep him safe from direct attacks, Niles is great defensively. Effie is too, but is slow (has limited range).

I'm actually on Hoshido right now, should be finishing up tonight to start Nohr over the weekend. That said, Effie's a Knight, so she should be slow. If you're wanting to increase her range, and you plan on buying the other two paths, do so before finishing Nohr if it's possible (I've got the SE, so I have no idea what the limitations are). Doing so will give you access to 2 boots, which increase movement by 1. Knight's tend to have 4 or 5 movement, and classing them into Generals doesn't improve this, so using boots on them tends to make their movement a bit more bearable.

If you plan to do this, you can find the Boots in the crystal ball under Bonuses. I can't remember off the top of my head if it gives you the boots after buying just one other pathway, or if you need all three, but you do get rewards by owning two, and then all three.

Boots are cheating. Stat items in general are cheating. Real men watch Ike level up, gain no stat points whatsoever, and resign themselves to a horrible game, and Ena. That's Fire Emblem. Taking what RNG gives you and laughing at it as all your characters are crit'd and die.

Okay, I went a bit overboard. I'm just an indecisive item hogger who will go into the final level with all my speedwings and energy drops untouched. Sometimes, I leave the S rank weapons too, because I can't bear the though of that 24/25 uses remaining. You may have guessed that I have yet to use the Hammerne as well, but's that because i don't forge powerful enough weapons to justify using it.

Boots are cheating. Stat items in general are cheating. Real men watch Ike level up, gain no stat points whatsoever, and resign themselves to a horrible game, and Ena. That's Fire Emblem. Taking what RNG gives you and laughing at it as all your characters are crit'd and die.

Okay, I went a bit overboard. I'm just an indecisive item hogger who will go into the final level with all my speedwings and energy drops untouched. Sometimes, I leave the S rank weapons too, because I can't bear the though of that 24/25 uses remaining. You may have guessed that I have yet to use the Hammerne as well, but's that because i don't forge powerful enough weapons to justify using it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm the same way with everything except the boots. Those things are invaluable, helping my Generals not fall behind with their lousy 5 movement when every other promote is moving 6-8. Or, as it is in Fates, helping my units that don't promote to anything gain some movement to keep up with those that do (specifically Songstress, because what's the point of a dancer if she can't reach my units ever?). Otherwise, I'm right there with you.

Don't get me wrong. I'm the same way with everything except the boots. Those things are invaluable, helping my Generals not fall behind with their lousy 5 movement when every other promote is moving 6-8. Or, as it is in Fates, helping my units that don't promote to anything gain some movement to keep up with those that do (specifically Songstress, because what's the point of a dancer if she can't reach my units ever?). Otherwise, I'm right there with you.

in the original (well original in america anyway, I don't know what the japanese subtitle is for it) I always gave all my boots to Lyn.  then left her to run around the battlefield, completely untouchable, outracing the cavalry units and slaughtering all the enemy.  this had some negative side effects on all the other characters' ability to level up

in the original (well original in america anyway, I don't know what the japanese subtitle is for it) I always gave all my boots to Lyn.  then left her to run around the battlefield, completely untouchable, outracing the cavalry units and slaughtering all the enemy.  this had some negative side effects on all the other characters' ability to level up

That would be FE7, Blazing Sword. Since you only get one set of Boots in that game, but it boosts your movement by 2 rather than one, I always gave it to Oswin so he could keep up with Hector, his go-to A support buddy. Those two were a wall when next to each other.

That would be FE7, Blazing Sword. Since you only get one set of Boots in that game, but it boosts your movement by 2 rather than one, I always gave it to Oswin so he could keep up with Hector, his go-to A support buddy. Those two were a wall when next to each other.

I think I may have cheated myself a second pair.  Nintendo had some sort of promotion with one of their GC games where you'd plug the GBA, with fire emblem, into the gamcube-GBA link thingy and it'd download you some items, that you could then move into your game if you wanted.  I may be mistaken, but I thought there was a second Boots item in there.

I rarely made good use of the support mechanic, at least in part because it was next to impossible for me to even tell if it was doing anything.

I think I may have cheated myself a second pair.  Nintendo had some sort of promotion with one of their GC games where you'd plug the GBA, with fire emblem, into the gamcube-GBA link thingy and it'd download you some items, that you could then move into your game if you wanted.  I may be mistaken, but I thought there was a second Boots item in there.

I rarely made good use of the support mechanic, at least in part because it was next to impossible for me to even tell if it was doing anything.

The disc you're  thinking of is the Mario Kart Double Dash Bonus Disc, most notable for giving the player Thor's Ire and a Silver Card. Interestingly, Boots are not one of the stat boosting items it gives you, hah.

Supports, I felt, are most notable in that game's engine (and FE8's), considering I've never noticed their presence in other games until FE13 after that. Boosting various stats (which depended on the affinities of the two characters involved), the characters would get that bonus when within three spaces of the partner. The most notable boosts are the Accuracy, Avoid, Crit, and Crit Evade bonuses, being incredibly valuable when applied to units that already get high Crit stats (Berserker, Sniper). It was insane. For example, here's my two favorite Support Pairs:

Hector + Oswin

A  Rank Support Boost = Attack (STR and MAG) +1, Defence (DEF and RES) +3, Avoid +15, Critical +7, Critical Evade +15

Of major note here is that +3 DEF and +15 Avoid. Talk about making walls even more wall like.

Rebecca + Dart

A Rank Support Boost = Attack (STR and MAG) +3, Accuracy +15, Avoid +15, Critical +15

All four of these boosts are incredibly important due to Rebecca being a Sniper and Dart being a Berserker. The Accuracy boost all but ensures that the pair will always hit, the Avoid boost really helps them stay healthy (mainly Rebecca since Dart's HP is huge), and the Crit boost stacks on top of the class boost they get for a total of +30, which mean's they'll be crit-ing constantly. The Attack boost then increases their damage, which just makes their crits do even more damage (crits in FE are 3x normal damage). These two are deadly together.

Anyways, there's a ramble about a topic you probably don't care much about anymore  :P (FE7 is in my top 5 games of all time, and my favorite of all FE).

Edited by Blaze1616

huh.  yea, it has been a while since I last played it.  I may also never have noticed because it takes so much time to build up those support levels, and I usually had other strategies in mind when playing, so purposely situating people next to each other was never a high priority.  that said, Hector was almost as untouchable as Lynn in my games, so many attacks hit for 0 damage.  giving him an additional +3 defense almost seems like cheating

Every three months I go on the internet. Search up top games and buy the first one that is on ps4. In January I did this and got Lego marvel superheroes which is shockingly fun. I was fairly surprised that deadpool was a character.

Edited by ThatTinyStrawMan

Every three months I go on the internet. Search up top games and buy the first one that is on ps4. In January I did this and got Lego marvel superheroes which is shockingly fun. I was fairly surprised that deadpool was a character.

The important question is whether Moon Knight is in it...and the Man-Thing! And do you fight the High Evolutionary?