What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I'm just finishing book 3 in the demon cycles series. I really enjoy most of Arlans parts but I've been finding reading Leesha's and Jadirs parts annoying since book two.

Just finished it again too, yeah Leesha's bits drag on sometimes, still I'll always love her as what I'd hoped Egwene would eventually become but failed.

Started and finished Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan since my last update here. It was kind of meh, about on par with the first book in the series, maybe a little worse. I am still going to read Queen of Fire, the next book, when it comes out, but I am not very optimistic about it.

What I am optimistic about is Mage's Blood by David Hair, which I started earlier this morning. It has a very distinct writing style, and the book itself has... ambition. It's a weird feeling to have for a book, but it has the signs of a potentially pretty epic fantasy. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, just finished HP MoR, at least up to current. I have never read a fanfic before but Peter mentioned it earlier in this thread. It was fantastic up until the troll and the best part there's a podcast so I could listen on the drive. 

I have read the first Reculse book and wasn't especially fond of it. I should go back and try book two sometime when I have a moment though.

The first three books of Imager are on a small ish scale taking place mostly all in one city. They were very good and had a lot of really good bureaucracy, religious, industrial age adjustments, aristocracy vs the middle to middle high class.

The next five books are set several hundred years before hand, and while it can be helpful to read the original trilogy first-the magic system is explained in greater detail- It's definitely far from necessary. These five are on a much larger scale and are much more military books and follow a long with some of the themes of the Corean chronicles (assuming you've read them.)

I was mostly interested in how the two series compare in terms of the quality of writing. I enjoyed the worldbuilding of Recluse, and since the magic, the characters, and the plot were all decent, I should've been able to enjoy the series as a whole... except for the horrid writing. It's been a while, so I don't remember many details, but I recall that Modesitt loved transcribing sounds literally (e.g. he would rather write "aughchoo" or something like that instead "sneezed"). Is he still rocking this abysmal habit?

Nah, I haven't seen him write the sound effects much. Not since I read his old science fiction. The main thing that bugs me with his writing is that he uses contractions in very awkward places making it harder to read. You have to stop, make sure the word is saying what it's supposed to, and then continue reading. Really breaks any kind of immersion you could have. As for characters they might be more on the bland side compared to recluse but I'm not sure as I haven't read recluse in a while. Same for everything else.

On the whole, Modesitt's writing has never been very good, to the point of being quite bad at points as you've said, but I think that the Imager books escaped a lot of that.

To get the thread back on topic I checked out Gardens of the Moon and Hidden Empire (Kevin J. Anderson, not Card) from the library today.

I'm about a third of the way through Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe.  I've never read anything by him, but a friend also had him recommended to her, so she passed along the rec.  The reason I started with this one is that there is a very cool second hand book store called 2nd & Charles that has a location near where this friend lives.  As we were browsing the shelves, she reminded me that I should read his stuff some time, but they didn't have the first book of the trilogy she first recommended, so she helped me find a standalone novel to whet my appetite.  So far this particularly story took me a few chapters to get into, but now I'm moving along at a good clip and really liking it.  She's reading a different Gene Wolfe book now, so we plan to swap when we're both finished.  The one she's reading is An Evil Guest

Regarding the last 2 post: Gene Wolfe is one of my all time favorite authors hands down. His New Sun bks were my 1st and I loved them. Prepare to have a dictionary handy though cause that man is complex. Also his Latro set were awesome. I also enjoyed Wizard/Knight.

Brent Weeks is so groovy and this is a perfect time to read those 2 since bk 3 is just 2 weeks or so away. Enjoy!

Finished Mage's Blood by David Hair last night. It started off a little shaky, but eventually it picked up and ended up being a pretty solid book overall. 

I am actually not sure what to pick up next. Goblin Quest (and then the sequels) is one option, so I can finally have read everything by Jim C. Hines. Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana is another option - but that's starting a new author, and I will feel obliged to read everything by him. Prince of Thorns and Prince of Fools are very much in the same boat as Gavriel Kay, while Brian McClellan's short stories are in Jim C. Hines' boat - stuff I want to read so I mark a given author as completed.

EDIT: I decided on Brian McClellan's short stories. 

Edited by Argent

So, please don't kill me fellow fantasy fans..... but I just started my "tryhard" readthrough of The Fellowship of the Rings! Yes, I have never before read the LotR until now! O.o :o

I have read the Hobbit, and tried the Fellowship once before, but those dang hobbit intro chapters! They're drier than toast and Aiel humour!

BUT. Alas, I have made it out of the Shire and ran into Tom Bombadill. And holy-flipping storms is this guy amazing! Where the heck was this guy in the movie?? O.o Why have I not heard of this spectacular yellow-boot wearing boss of a character before?