What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

The 1st 2 Shadowmarch bks were good as well but I stalled out on bk3 it took a long time to finish and I've tried twice now to start bk4 but I don't have the desire to keep going when I start it and always pick another from the tbr pile. One day I will.

I also really liked the 1st Bobby Dollar. It's no Dresden but it was def a solid intro for Williams 1st Urban Fantasy attempt.

1602725f32b0d93601491059b0158b1c.jpg

Read not by choice, but by a very insistent sister who enjoys read-alouds.

Still, could have been a lot worse.

Is that a book? Do you know if they translated it in French? My daughter's birthday is coming soon... She loves books. I am hoping to turn her into a SA fan by the end of the series :ph34r: , but you know, in the mean time, you've got to start somewhere...

I posted this on Malazanboards but need to share here to.

I never read back covers of series in progress incase of spoilers for the current read.

I'm struggling pretty bad with these past 66 pgs of The Dreaming Void. I wasn't expecting this long time gap from the other 2 bks. It's really dif in tone and very strange to try and get into. Anyone that's read this trilogy does it pick up and become awesome?

Realized I haven't updated this for a while.

I've been reading a lot of nonfiction lately, but I am back to fiction with The Republic of Thieves currently. After that, I am pretty much going to go on a Malazan binge aside from new releases to catch up on those.

I never read back covers of series in progress incase of spoilers for the current read.

I'm the same way. I have made that mistake before, and shall never do so again.

Just finished my re-read of The Black Prism, now debating whether to start The Blinding Knife (Brent Weeks), The Crimson Camapign (BVrian McClellan) or The Shadow Rising (Robert Jordan). Ill probably do Blinding Knife....

Edited by Atilium

Just finished my re-read of The Black Prism, now debating whether to start The Blinding Knife (Brent Weeks), The Crimson Camapign (BVrian McClellan) or The Shadow Rising (Robert Jordan). Ill probably do Blinding Knife....

The Blinding Knife is probably best because of The Broken Eye's release in a week. Then The Crimson Campaign (and the Powder Mage short stories, if you haven't read them), because it will be a while before a new book comes out in that series. And then Jordan.

I'd back up Jordan. I thought that was a good series except for bks 8&10.

I think he receives far too much criticism for his bad books. The critics probably forget that the good overshadows(or burns) the bad by 10:4 which is a good ratio. 

Finished Goblin War a few days ago. The series wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Magic Ex Libris, Jim C. Hines' other series, is much better. Though maybe it's supposed to be.

Went through Questions for a Soldier and The Sagan Diary (between-books short stories in Scalzi's Old Man's War series) after Goblin War. Questions for a Soldier was nothing exciting, but The Sagan Diary was... remarkable. I'll just copy my (spoiler-free) Goodreads review:

This was a surprisingly beautiful read. I would probably recommend it even to people unfamiliar with The Old Man's War and Jane Sagan, just because of how much poetic truth it holds. Yes, it helps to know that Jane was "born" all grown up, conscious, and educated - some of the references make more sense this way - but as a fraction of the entire short story, those are fairly isolated and I imagine wouldn't ruin the experience.

Finally, I've started reading Zoe's Tale. I am always reluctant to jump between fantasy and sci-fi, but Scalzi has been sitting on my shelf for far too long, Old Man's War unfinished. I'll probably have to give him a break after Zoe's Tale so I can go read The Broken Eye, but I think I'll come back to him and read everything after that. Guy's a good author.

I just finished book one of the Dresden Files. I like Dresden, but not all the adult stuff in the book, even if it was Kind of off screen. I'm not sure I want to continue the series, does it stay pretty much the same through out the series?

I just finished book one of the Dresden Files. I like Dresden, but not all the adult stuff in the book, even if it was Kind of off screen. I'm not sure I want to continue the series, does it stay pretty much the same through out the series?

Adult stuff?

The series only get darker, though most of that is in the plot.

Adult stuff?

The series only get darker, though most of that is in the plot.

I did appreciate that most of the sex going on was actually a plot point etc. just didn't like it, similar to how I didn't like Felurian or the Adem, except that those were pointless. Generally in books I dislike things going much beyond Brandon's threshold. I know you could say that the nobles in mistborn were in a way worse, and I could agree, it's just that Brandon uses fewer adjectives.

I don't even remember Storm Front featuring sex. I can think of three explicitly described sex scenes, but all three are significant for the plot and last... maybe a couple of pages each. But there is a lot more suggestive language - mostly Harry noticing things.