What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Well, finished Firefight. And Murder at the Kinnen Hotel by Brian McClellan before it. I hadn't read anything for about a month before those two (weird, don't know why), but I think I'll pick up Jim C. Hines' Unbound next. Or McClellan's Bound by Honor.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently Reading "Divergent", Enjoyed the movie so the wife and I bought the series.... she is ahead of me.... says it "Diverges" from the  movies some.. so far in teh first book I haven't yet seen it but I am bonly 7 chapters in.

We just watch "Maze Runner" and we might buy that series as well... but I am trying to keep my reading plate light at the moment as I am trying to focus my energies and time.

Ooooooooooh, watch out mate, there is a lot of hate for the divergent books here hahaha, only read them as a favor for a girl friend.

thats okay, every where I go, there are a few book series I always find myself on the wrong side of Liking.

Forinstance.... I and my wife also very much enjoyed the entire Swored of Truth series.

sooooo... there is that.......

Just a little bit haha, memory fooled me into thinking there was a q&a this week and I've popped in a little every once in a while since then.

I'm going to be getting a boat load of books next time I go to the library as I've got a long list of holds. Several Modesitt's, The Tales of Alvin Maker: Heartfire, and going to try out some Mercedes Lackey.

Just a little bit haha, memory fooled me into thinking there was a q&a this week and I've popped in a little every once in a while since then.

I'm going to be getting a boat load of books next time I go to the library as I've got a long list of holds. Several Modesitt's, The Tales of Alvin Maker: Heartfire, and going to try out some Mercedes Lackey.

It's good to see you even if it's a brief visit. :)

I made it through the audiobooks of Alvin Maker up through Journeyman but not beyond.  If he'd finish that last book, maybe I'd reread and finish the series, too! ;)  Let us know how Heartfire is. :)

Heartfire (and the Alvin Maker series in general) was pretty meh, I thought.  then again, my interest in that series is almost exclusively due to the alternate history timeline, and looking at the differences between real world America and Alvin's America.  Modesitt's Recluse books I enjoyed, though.

Heartfire (and the Alvin Maker series in general) was pretty meh, I thought.  then again, my interest in that series is almost exclusively due to the alternate history timeline, and looking at the differences between real world America and Alvin's America.

Agreed. The "magic" is interesting, the indians too, but I haven't loved the series. I'm generally in a love hate relationship with Card. I love Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow as well as the two empire books, but a lot of his other books.... can't even describe how I feel except that it's negative haha.

Agreed. The "magic" is interesting, the indians too, but I haven't loved the series. I'm generally in a love hate relationship with Card. I love Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow as well as the two empire books, but a lot of his other books.... can't even describe how I feel except that it's negative haha.

That's as a good a description as I would be able to come up with myself.  It's very hit or miss with him for me, too.  I loved the Enderverse books (except for maybe the most recent ones), Enchantment, Lost Boys, Invasive Procedures and Pastwatch were just fine, Sarah and Rachel & Leah (haven't read Rebekah), Empire (still haven't read Hidden Empire), but felt "eh" about the Homecoming Series, Alvin Maker, Worthing and Wyrms.  I still have to read anything but the first Pathfinder and Lost Gate books, but I liked the first installments well enough to plan to finish those.  Most of his stuff falls in the love it or not so excited about it (I wouldn't say hate) categories, though.

Crunching through The Providence by Fire by Brian Staveley (whose last name I have to look up every. single. time.). I am around the one third mark, and it's already noticeably better than The Emperor's Blades, the first book in the series. So much more action, higher stakes, big reveals. Not a huge fan of where Adare is right now, in terms of plot, but I expect her story will pick up soon. 

Crunching through The Providence by Fire by Brian Staveley (whose last name I have to look up every. single. time.). I am around the one third mark, and it's already noticeably better than The Emperor's Blades, the first book in the series. So much more action, higher stakes, big reveals. Not a huge fan of where Adare is right now, in terms of plot, but I expect her story will pick up soon. 

I'm glad you mentioned this book.  I picked it up at the store for Brandon's Philly WoR signing last year, and thought the first book was so-so.  I actually told friends who are my usual reading buddies (similar taste and shared favorite authors) that I'd let them know how the series continued before recommending they read the first one.  Definitely let us know what you think come the end of book 2!

That's as a good a description as I would be able to come up with myself.  It's very hit or miss with him for me, too.  I loved the Enderverse books (except for maybe the most recent ones), Enchantment, Lost Boys, Invasive Procedures and Pastwatch were just fine, Sarah and Rachel & Leah (haven't read Rebekah), Empire (still haven't read Hidden Empire), but felt "eh" about the Homecoming Series, Alvin Maker, Worthing and Wyrms.  I still have to read anything but the first Pathfinder and Lost Gate books, but I liked the first installments well enough to plan to finish those.  Most of his stuff falls in the love it or not so excited about it (I wouldn't say hate) categories, though.

I like all the enderverse books, but the first two are definitely pretty far superior to the others.  Other than those I have read homecoming and Alvin maker series.  Homecoming, I thought had some potential early on, then just kind of devolved into something else.

I read the first Homecoming, and I really didn't like it. Part of it is that the book is very clearly a sci-fi retelling of the first part of the first book of scripture in the Book of Mormon and personally it kinda blasphemous which is funny since I don't have that problem with Noah(which has issues but not those) or any of the other works in similar forms. Aside from that...it was just the kind of Card book that I don't like and most of you who have read Card probably get that haha.

I'm glad you mentioned this book.  I picked it up at the store for Brandon's Philly WoR signing last year, and thought the first book was so-so.  I actually told friends who are my usual reading buddies (similar taste and shared favorite authors) that I'd let them know how the series continued before recommending they read the first one.  Definitely let us know what you think come the end of book 2!

Alright, so The Emperor's Blades was an alright book. Decent, maybe almost good. The Providence of Fire, however, is in a completely different league. I don't think it suffers from the "sequel syndrome" or "middle book syndrome" at all. Not only that, it's actually straight-up better than the first one. I pretty much all aspects. I recommend it highly.

You can see my (always spoiler-free) review on Goodreads, but it's mostly me gushing about how good it was.

Alright, so The Emperor's Blades was an alright book. Decent, maybe almost good. The Providence of Fire, however, is in a completely different league. I don't think it suffers from the "sequel syndrome" or "middle book syndrome" at all. Not only that, it's actually straight-up better than the first one. I pretty much all aspects. I recommend it highly.

You can see my (always spoiler-free) review on Goodreads, but it's mostly me gushing about how good it was.

That's encouraging to hear!  Maybe I will try to pick it up the next time I'm near a bookstore. :)  Thanks for reporting back!

Just finished reading Beowulf (the Seamus Heaney translation), and I'm writing a short essay analysis of it for a class I'm taking.

I'm currently making my way through When the Legends Die by Hal Borland, and I'm really liking it so far. It's getting pretty intense, and it reminds me a lot of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. The whole idea that legends are what we aspire to be and without them, we have nothing to live up to, is a very powerful message. 

"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no greatness."

I just finished A Betrayal in Winter, Book 2 in Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet.  Daniel Abraham is awesome.  I don't know what it is about him that I love as a writer, I think it's that he make his writing visceral and personal.  I remember the emotions and flowing prose and feelings more than the actual plot.   But that stuff really sticks with me.  I read 60 -70 books a year and there are many books I give a 4/5 or 5 / 5 , and then looks back and struggle to remember much about after a few months.  His writing really stays with me and it's the interpersonal conflicts , not the actions scenes that stick out.  This is tremendously unique for me.  I've been holding off on starting The Long Price Quartet mostly because I know it was a bit of a failure both domestically and abroad and has gotten a cult following of "mature" readers.  People who exclaim and exhault the beauty of these books by prefacing they are "mature" (mature meaning more for the James Joyce crowd than Michael Bay).   I was hesitant to try it and then not like it and think it's because I'm not sophisticated enough.  But I finally bit the bullet and I love these books. Highly reccomended for someone looking for more complexity than a hack and slash adventure (and I love those too). 

His Dagger and Coin series which will wrap up this year is excellent as well.  I can go miles deep on that series as well if anyone is interested.

I just finished Echopraxia by Peter Watts. Absolutely brilliant book (it's sf), although I believe that Blindsight (the previous book in the series) was better. Maybe because it was something new, like I've never read before, maybe because its topics were more interesting. Blindsight was also darker, but Echopraxia also has quite a lot of dark and slightly controversial themes. My biggest ossue with it was that I found it less... scientific. What I like most in Watts' novels is that they really appeal to the scientific mind, but this one was slightly less so. But yeah, I liked it a lot.

And currently I'm doing the Acts of Caine reread. I just finished Heroes Die and staretd Blade of Tyshalle. I haven't this series in a while, and I've never read Caine's Law, so I think it's a good idea to make a reread, especially that I really like these books.

When I'm done with Caine, I'll probably start the Second Apocalypse series by Bakker. Or maybe I'll read Wot, because I haven't yet. Or maybe I'll do SA reread, but Bakker seems to be the most probable at the moment.

Edited by Pestis the Spider