What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Finished Heartfire, I'll get a better review up this afternoon, but I enjoyed it a lot more than the past two(?) books.

The over all plot of the series didn't move very far, which was disappointing, but a lot more of the alternate history became clearer so that was pretty cool. There wasn't really a single thing mindblowing or shocking in the book, in fact it was rather a slow book composed of long discussions and basically no action, but it managed to keep me engaged so I didn't mind too much although I did catch myself several times thinking "Oh gosh, not Another philophization!". It didn't disturb me nearly as much as some of the books have, I think book three was the worst, which was nice. I have a much lower tolerance than a lot of people and wouldn't ever be able to do a game of thrones for instance. So the book was good, could have used some trimming on the talking and more butt-kicking and maybe some Indians I think. Will definitely be reading the next book soon.

Edited by LeftVash

Right guys. Started reading this forum to try and get a few tips on where to go next within the genre of epic fantasy fiction. I'm relatively new to it although I did LotR's years back. I've read most of Brandon's work, loved it. The king killer chronicles blew me away. I'm almost finished with 'the eye of the world' but I can't say that it's gripped me the way that Brandon and Pat had. Should I carry on with TWoT? Is it worth sticking by even if the first didn't enthral me? It's not that I don't like it, it's a good read but I'm looking for a story that sucks me in and doesn't let go, and the TWoT is a large collection of books to commit to if you're unsure. I'm well aware that recommendations would be subjective, but if you guys could just list your favourites and a small explanation as to why, that would be fantastic.

Right guys. Started reading this forum to try and get a few tips on where to go next within the genre of epic fantasy fiction. I'm relatively new to it although I did LotR's years back. I've read most of Brandon's work, loved it. The king killer chronicles blew me away. I'm almost finished with 'the eye of the world' but I can't say that it's gripped me the way that Brandon and Pat had. Should I carry on with TWoT? Is it worth sticking by even if the first didn't enthral me? It's not that I don't like it, it's a good read but I'm looking for a story that sucks me in and doesn't let go, and the TWoT is a large collection of books to commit to if you're unsure. I'm well aware that recommendations would be subjective, but if you guys could just list your favourites and a small explanation as to why, that would be fantastic.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Eye of the World is the worst in the series.  I always recommend that people try to make it through book 3 before they give up on the series.  It's my personal favorite (well either that or one of the ones near the end when everything starts coming together) and If you aren't hooked by then, you never will be.  That said it can be somewhat of a slog from about book 6ish through book 10 or 11 before it picks up again for the climax.

Have you tried the Belgariad Series my David Eddings or Any of the Shannara Series by Terry Brooks?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Eye of the World is the worst in the series.  I always recommend that people try to make it through book 3 before they give up on the series.  It's my personal favorite (well either that or one of the ones near the end when everything starts coming together) and If you aren't hooked by then, you never will be.  That said it can be somewhat of a slog from about book 6ish through book 10 or 11 before it picks up again for the climax.

Really? you found the Eye to be the worst? that tends to be what got most people into it, if not how did it ever become so huge a sucess.

Most people have trouble with the books in the middles.... as you say books 6-9 or 10 get really sluggish and I know a lot of people lost interest in the series by then.

A lot of that early success and hooking was because 1and 2 released in the same yr. 1 was published in Jan of 90 and 2 was Nov of 90. Plus bk 2 was just awesome. It was my fav. For good or ill WoT should be read by any Fantasy fan.

I wasn't a fan of book 2, but this is partly for weird reasons: The first book I read was book 3 (long story behind why that is), which, as I mentioned, is one of my favorites in the series, and heavily features Mat and Perrin's perspectives.  this is not a coincidence.  So going back and reading books 1 and 2, they are a bit slower, and a bit lighter on the humor aspects.  basically, the 3 books in the series that don't feature Mat's perspective (1, 2 and either 8 or 9 i think, cant remember which offhand) are pretty much my least favorite.

I've read (and recently reread) the Belgariad, Mallorean, and whatever the other 2 series that eddings wrote were called, as well as a several of the Shannara books.  I recommend WoT over all of them.

Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear looks absolutely awesome.   I'm picking it up from the library today.  I really haven't been a steampunk advocate but I know a good story when I see one.  The first chapter is online and I love her voice right off the bat.  In it she's looking to turn the Hooker with a Heart of Gold trope right on it's head by making the protagonist a marginalized period accurate sex worker, with her own agency and motivations.  Also she apparently has a mech suit sewing machine.

I finished the Crystal City. It was good, much faster pace, but the ending.....Is there supposed to be another book eventually? It was so anti-climatic, I just have a hard time believing the story is done. Most of the ends were kind of tied up, but just barely, and not really in a way that makes sense...

I finished the Crystal City. It was good, much faster pace, but the ending.....Is there supposed to be another book eventually? It was so anti-climatic, I just have a hard time believing the story is done. Most of the ends were kind of tied up, but just barely, and not really in a way that makes sense...

The planned final book in the series (seventh book, which makes sense) is Master Alvin, no release date or anything yet though

The planned final book in the series (seventh book, which makes sense) is Master Alvin, no release date or anything yet though

Thanks! The story didn't feel done yet so I'm glad it isn't. I would really much rather have book 7 before the next Formic war trilogy. :) 

Now I'm working through the Octagonal Raven, another Modesitt sci-fi. I tried to read book two of the Recluse series, but the style and skipping back in time was too much for me, I had to stop. I'm kind of sad though, because Recluse is what he's most well known for and at least starting out, they're weak- or at least very difficult books to like- and when compared to some of his other work it doesn't give a good picture of his books.

Thanks! The story didn't feel done yet so I'm glad it isn't. I would really much rather have book 7 before the next Formic war trilogy. :)

Now I'm working through the Octagonal Raven, another Modesitt sci-fi. I tried to read book two of the Recluse series, but the style and skipping back in time was too much for me, I had to stop. I'm kind of sad though, because Recluse is what he's most well known for and at least starting out, they're weak- or at least very difficult books to like- and when compared to some of his other work it doesn't give a good picture of his books.

I liked the Recluse books, but the way they skip around in time can take some getting used to.  Mostly I just liked the comparatively different chaos vs order magic system, as opposed to more familiar classical element ones.

I'm about a quarter of the way through 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I decided to take a little high-fantasy break after finishing Words of Radiance. So far, I like it. It makes me feel weirdly nostalgic for the simplicity of the 1950's, the weirdness being that I wasn't born until '89.

Just finished the final Odd Thomas book (Saint Odd).  If you've never read those, go do so NOW!  Though, you might want a box of tissues ready.  Anyway, don't let the popular author's name dissuade you if you're a hipster fantasy/sci-fi reader.  That seriously is one of my all time favorites.  I will greatly miss Odd Thomas.

Speaking of Orson Scott Card, I just restarted the Pathfinder trilogy.  I'd read the first one a few years ago when it first came out, but neglected reading books 2 and 3 promptly, so I'm re-reading to refresh my memory before moving to the 2nd and 3rd books.

I've read (and recently reread) the Belgariad, Mallorean, and whatever the other 2 series that eddings wrote were called, as well as a several of the Shannara books.  I recommend WoT over all of them.

See, I REALLY liked the Belgariad and Mallorean.  I've read all of WoT, too.  What I liked about B & M, though, was just how FUNNY they were in the midst of all the peril.  I wouldn't put one series (WoT or B&M) above the other because, though they're both fantasy, they meet different reading needs.  If you're looking for something epic, go with WoT and stick it out a few books.  (I agree that if by book 3 you're not hooked, don't bother continuing.  If you're like me, though, you'll be so into the characters you won't be able to stop.)  If you're looking for something exciting and amusing all at once, head for David Eddings two quintets.

(Edit just to fix grammar/typing.)

Edited by traceria