What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Well, finished The Republic of Thieves, third and last published book in Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series. Very pleased. 

Finally started The Blinding Knife, #2 in Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series. I loved the first book and people are telling me this one is just as good, if not better, so I am having some expectations. 

I've been eyeballing Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood and David Hair's Mage's Blood for my next read. I think those two will conclude my list of books I've been wanting to read for the past half year or so. 

I just finished House of Chains (MBoTF book 4) in 1 day. Amazing book. I think every fantasy genre fans should read Malazan series. It's tough, but awesome.

Currently, I am reading:-

1. The Hero of Ages

2. Midnight Tides

3. Red Country.

Definitely one of the best YA series of recent years. The earlier ones (first 3) are definitely better, but the last one is excellent as well. It got a little hard to believe that all that character development could occur over the course of a week, but it was still very enjoyable.

I am currently reading Reaper's Gale (Malazan 7), having finished Red Seas Under Red Skies several weeks ago. It is quite good so far.

It got a little hard to believe that all that character development could occur over the course of a week, but it was still very enjoyable.

Yeah, that really bugged me for a while. How on earth could you do so much in a day!? I think he should have spread the time out more and made Nick just drain away slower.

I've been eyeballing Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood and David Hair's Mage's Blood for my next read. I think those two will conclude my list of books I've been wanting to read for the past half year or so. 

Well, I did finish The Blinding Knife. Wonderful book, I think I liked it even better than the first one. Decided to postpone Promise of Blood and Mage's Blood and finish Raymond Feist finally. I couldn't remember how far exactly I had gotten (and that's a really bad sign, if I read a book's summary and can't figure out whether I've read it...), so I decided to pick up A Kingdom Besieged, the first book of the last trilogy, and move from there.

I am currently reading The Wise Man's Fear, which is awesome! 

Next up:

1) A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner (Attolia Series)

2) Dark Currents by Lindsay Buroker (Emperor's Edge Series)

I really enjoyed the first three books in the Attolia Series and I would wholly recommend it. Dark Currents is only the second book in the Emperor's Edge Series, but I really like the story so far. 

Finished re read of Alera 4 started on Alera 5 last night.

I have a slogan I do when I talk about Alera but Idk if we can curse on this site or not...

Just noticed this was neg repped. I'm not sure if I should be amused or offended having that done just from asking Forum rules.

Just went on a binge because I have time during finals week. I read Promise of Blood (AMAZING!), the Terry Pratchett book about trains (Amazing as well, just forgot the name) and Immortal Muse by Stephen Leigh (Admittedly a bit weird but oh well...)

Now I'm reading 

The third book in The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abrams

Magic Kingdom for Sale by Terry Brooks

I am going to start the Sharanna series soon... That should occupy me for a while

Edit: Just read interlude 26 of Worm. I died a bit inside. EPICNESS!

Edited by Ashiok

Well, I did finish The Blinding Knife. Wonderful book, I think I liked it even better than the first one. Decided to postpone Promise of Blood and Mage's Blood and finish Raymond Feist finally. I couldn't remember how far exactly I had gotten (and that's a really bad sign, if I read a book's summary and can't figure out whether I've read it...), so I decided to pick up A Kingdom Besieged, the first book of the last trilogy, and move from there.

Done with A Kingdom Besieged. Turns out I had somehow skipped that one - I am (re)reading A Crown Imperiled, the sequel to A Kingdom Besieged, and I know for a fact I've read it before. So I guess I am glad I finally read the first one, even if it advanced the plot so little, I had managed to read its sequel without noticing a gap in the continuity. But other than this, it was a bad book. The only reason to read it is to finish the series without skipping anything. 

I'm staring at a stack of books. I recently finished Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I did not like it. This is making his A Farewell to Arms move down to the bottom of the pile. I have 3 books regarding Florida travel. (we leave next week) 3 books on Depression/Anxiety. Wheat Belly and Grain Brain sit somewhere in the middle of the pile. The Emporer's Soul and Warbreaker sit unopened and taunting me.....

But I promised I would read The Seasons of Life by Jim Rohn last night. I played Candy Crush and sat in a bubble bath instead. (my secret shame is out) So I'm about to crack open this book---The Seasons of Life----it's practically a pamphlet in terms of length. There's a drawing on every page. Maybe it will be 45 life-changing minutes..... I see lots of marks and highlights inside. Someone is trying to tell me Something. Storm it. Now I need that anxiety book. ha!

I'm just starting Blood Rites from the Dresden Files. Liking the series right now - it picks up in the right ways, just as people said it would. I'm wondering though if there is a good stopping point any time soon where I might be able to read one or two other books before continuing the series. Of course, if the answer is "no, things keep getting better," I might just power through them...

Well, things do keep on getting better. But I think Changes concludes the (first?) big arc. There is a break in the monologue after it that's bigger than what we usually get between books.

This. My 2 cents unless your just close to a Dresden burnout would be to power read them all up to the current Skin Game. Provide you either have them or have the $ to get them. Yes Changes ends Arc 1 and then Ghost Story is an interlude pretty much till Cold Days for Arc 2.

Well, things do keep on getting better. But I think Changes concludes the (first?) big arc. There is a break in the monologue after it that's bigger than what we usually get between books.

This. My 2 cents unless your just close to a Dresden burnout would be to power read them all up to the current Skin Game. Provide you either have them or have the $ to get them. Yes Changes ends Arc 1 and then Ghost Story is an interlude pretty much till Cold Days for Arc 2.

Thanks for the tips! I don't need them to get better or anything, and I'm not about to get burned out, I just have such a large reading list that I feel I should maybe be knocking out some stand alone novels occasionally. I'm in a pretty unique situation (maybe less unique surrounded by readers here) where my reading is the one activity that I exclude from my budget. Books are pretty fairly priced, so it's never an issue, and this series has proved it's worth buying.

Hmm, I guess an update it due. I finished A Crown Imperiled (and found it better than its prequel, A Kingdom Besieged), and am now reading the final book of the last series in the Riftwar world, Magician's End. For those of you who have read Feist in the past, this book resembles that first few in terms of quality (something the 10-15 books before it failed to do). It doesn't rival them, but it's at least pleasant to read.