What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I just finished Dark Rise by C.S. Pacat. I didn't expect much, seemed like a classic good vs evil story (nothing wrong with that, but originality please!) but the book surprised me. It was really good! I also finished Arc of a Scythe, which was fantastic and one of my new favorites.

18 hours ago, Morningtide said:

I just finished Dark Rise by C.S. Pacat. I didn't expect much, seemed like a classic good vs evil story (nothing wrong with that, but originality please!) but the book surprised me. It was really good! I also finished Arc of a Scythe, which was fantastic and one of my new favorites.

I read Dark Rise a bit ago.  What did you think of the language?  The way the descriptions were worded I often felt were pretty interesting and unique.

I finished reading The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Dame Agatha Christie’s first book, and it was pretty good. I’m not sure how much people feel about spoiling who the killer is in old mystery books so I won’t say who it was but I will say they keep changing who the main suspect is almost every chapter after the ‘obvious’ suspect was cleared so you are just as confused as the narrator until the murderer is finally revealed.

Poirot himself was enjoyable to read and I’m looking forward to seeing more of him along with seeing Miss Marple and the other detectives like Tommy & Tuppence, Battle and Race.

Next up is The Secret Adversary also by Christie and is the first of the Tommy & Tuppence books.

In other news I picked up House of Leaves and boy just skimming through it was a trip with that formatting and page layout with the footnotes and other oddities. I’ll keep this one on hold for a while, maybe have it as my spooky read for Halloween?, so I’m looking forward to reading this bad boy then.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:25 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

I read Dark Rise a bit ago.  What did you think of the language?  The way the descriptions were worded I often felt were pretty interesting and unique.

I liked the way it was worded. Several times I had to stop and appreciate some kind of phrase that just made the world come alive. 

So, web serials are a thing, it seems. I guess having Wheel of Time as the only massively long series to procrastinate on wasn't enough so now I can add Worm and TGAB to the list. 

Sprinkle a few other shorter (but still long) works that look interesting and I might as well give up on my other hobbies to make time for this. 

Finished Howling Dark, and Demon in White, second and third in the Sun Eater series. 

Guys.  Read these books.

Also read A Hero for WondLa and Hunger by Michael Grant.  I'm kind of surprised at how intriguing Hunger is.  I wasn't expecting that I would actually enjoy a series with this kind of premise, but on top of the weird almost horror elements, I feel like Grant is doing a pretty good job with how a scenario like this might play out.

About a third into Towers of Midnight. After finishing WoT, my current shortlist (not that short) is, in order

• The Licanius Trilogy, James Islington
  • The Powder Mage Trilogy, Brian McClellan
  • The Sun Eater, Christopher Ruocchio (thanks, Sprennie! :P)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursala K. Le Guin
  • His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman

Has anyone read any of those, and if so, how were they? I did my best to check the content levels in them, but basically I don't want anything too much more than Brandon's works as far as language/other PG-13+ content goes. So if I missed something, I'd like to know, thanks!

Any other suggestions are welcome, but making the list longer is both good and bad in some ways :P 

10 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I have read and recommend both of these! I think the Powder Mage books will remind you a lot of Brandon's books. I actually liked the second trilogy after this even better but reading the original trilogy before those is a must. I really really like The Licanius Trilogy and it will also remind you of Brandon's books. The author is actually a big fan of Brandon's and drew inspiration from his books. This series has the most satisfying ending of pretty much any series I had read. It was beautiful. There is a lot of time travel involved in these books and can get a little bit confusing to keep up with at times so it is one of those stories you really have to pay attention to not just casually read. Both are great reads especially if you are a fan of Brandon's books (and WoT specifically for Licanius) they will feel familiar. 

2 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

About a third into Towers of Midnight. After finishing WoT, my current shortlist (not that short) is, in order

Has anyone read any of those, and if so, how were they? I did my best to check the content levels in them, but basically I don't want anything too much more than Brandon's works as far as language/other PG-13+ content goes. So if I missed something, I'd like to know, thanks!

Any other suggestions are welcome, but making the list longer is both good and bad in some ways :P 

Earthsea is excellent, especially the first 3 books, and should all be well within PG 13.  His Dark Materials is good as well, and probably remains within PG 13, though it has been a little bit since I last read it.  I highly recommend both.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 0:07 PM, Matrim's Dice said:

Might be too late, but Powder Mage has slight language and decent amount of correlation with drugs in the magic system. Otherwise it's a great book. 

Edited by The Unknown Novel

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Might be too late, but Powder Mage has slight language and decent amount of correlation with drugs in the magic system. Otherwise it's a great book. 

Not too late, I started Memory of Light a few days ago :P Thanks, I'll give it a try. The language level that I don't mind goes up to about Scythe, Neal Shusterman, and since the author of Power Mage was Brandon's student I can't imagine it'd be more than that.