What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I actually really, really loved TROS, but will readily admit "Somehow, Palpatine returned" is one of the dumbest lines ever written.

I'm reading a few different things, bouncing between them. Uzumaki by Junji Ito, a YA novel I can't tell if I like or not, and Isolate by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. Someone tell me to get off the internet and go finish them.

I slowed down cause of course I would.. I’m only 311 pgs into WoT 12. Almost a month of reading this book and I finally get to a Mat chapter. I’m looking forward to rereading this one to see how off he was from Jordan’s character in this 1st book. 

3 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I would never! I'm all over the place with them personally. I find The Force Awakens a great fun movie. TLJ is the best best of the three in terms of how it actually carries on the OT stuff, has the best acting, and the best tension. But I fundamentally disagree with several things within the movie as well. (Mostly that Finn and Poe's plots should have been switched; Finn should have learned the differences between the Resistance and the F.O. by seeing how they sacrifice and what for, while Poe should have learned that his place isn't in the cockpit or on crazy adventures anymore but leading his people and being WITH them.) The Luke and Rey stuff was perfect. 

TROS is one of my least favorite movies ever. 

To be honest I watched each of them once and had no desire to watch them again. I didn't find the characters to be lovable or memorable. Except for BB-8 😄 It's just my opinion, but I think people should stop remaking everything we know and love and adding on to existing franchises and just make more original content. Sometimes they end up okay, but other times...not so much. The last three Star Wars were an example of that (again, just my opinion:).They just didn't have the magic of the other six IMO.

It doesn't get better than young Han Solo for me👌😁

Didn't realize Jim Butcher had finished a second book in the Cinder Spires series until I saw The Olympian Affair at the book store this afternoon, so starting on that today. I liked the first one well enough, but I read it so long ago that I barely remember anything about it or the setting. ideally i'd give it a reread first, but I don't have it on hand. if I get too confused i'll just look up a synopsis or something to refresh my memory

A poem! "Dragons", by Devin Johnston.

Spoiler
We gathered in a field southwest of town,
several hundred hauling coolers
and folding chairs along a gravel road
dry in August, two ruts of soft dust
that soaked into our clothes
and rose in plumes behind us.

By noon we could discern their massive coils
emerging from a bale of cloud,
scales scattering crescent dapples
through walnut fronds,
the light polarized, each leaf tip in focus.

As their bodies blotted out the sun,
the forest faded to silverpoint.
A current of cool air
extended from the bottomlands
an intimation of October,
and the bowl of sky deepened
its celestial archaeology.

Their tails, like banners of a vast army,
swept past Orion and his retinue
to sighs and scattered applause,
the faint wail of a child crying.
In half an hour they had passed on
in search of deep waters.

Before our company dispersed,
dust whirling in the wind,
we planned to meet again in seven years
for the next known migration.
Sunlight flashed on windshields

and caught along the riverbank
a cloudy, keeled scale
about the size of a dinner plate,
cool as blanc de Chine
in the heat of the afternoon.

Edited by Robin Sedai

I'm currently rereading The Way of Kings in preparation for Wind and Truth to release in December. And this time, I'm annotating it, which I'm having a lot of fun doing, and will definitely continue doing as I finish my SA reread and go on to read and reread other books.

On 1/20/2024 at 11:31 AM, Dunkum said:

I'm firmly of the opinion that any time anyone suggests hiring J.J. Abrams for anything, they should just play the "somehow Palpatine returned" scene to remind them why that is a bad idea.

Ha! I get why they hired him for TROS - he made Star Wars popular again with TFA, and he brought a sense of magic back to the franchise. And after the reactions to TLJ, it made sense to go back to what seemed like was working, especially when other movies in the franchise were having such behind-the-scenes drama. 

It's just...they didn't understand what Rian was doing and they didn't grasp the ramifications of what they were asking JJ to do. (It also doesn't help that Chris Terrio was his cowriter.) Although hindsight is 20/20.

JJ is great at rebooting franchises because he can distill down what made them so special in the first place, as proven with Mission Impossible and Star Trek. (With a weird level of success on the latter.) He proved that with TFA to me. But what he CAN'T do is finish stories well or use original ideas. 

TFA asked a lot of questions and basically repeated the core story of Star Wars for the fourth time (ANH, ROTJ, TPM, and TFA pretty much have the same goal and third act). Rian Johnson took the retelling of the OT and wrapped up the "rhyme" to ESB with the final battle on that one planet mirroring the escape form Hoth, and the ROTJ with the Throne Room battle. TLJ ends so openly because the cycle had been completed and thus broken, allowing for the next director and writer to bring Star Wars in a new direction. Unfortunately, they hired the one guy who isn't known for original ideas or finishing stories to come up with an original idea to finish a story. So what did JJ do? He decided to also cram two movies into one so he could get the outcome he wanted which just so happened to be the mirror to the outcome of ROTJ, and used his iconic "mystery box" to get there, seemingly not understanding that this is supposed to be the part of the story where he answers questions, not create new ones or retcon explanations from previous movies that end up undermining the themes of the entire trilogy. 

I could go on and on about the ST, but this isn't the thread for it. 

I'm trying out Ascendant by Michael something or other. Here's to hoping it's good! I'm also behind on a lot of other books I need to read, so hopefully I'll get back into the reading mood. 

Recently read Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters. Man do I love that book, it's so excellent, emotional, gripping, and relatable. I really recommend it if you've done the sport of wrestling, there's a strong message about what it takes to be the best. One of my favorite books ever.

I also finished Under Heaven. It was a very interesting book, though I felt the ending suffered a little from the (film) LotR problem, though that may have been caused by the circumstancesthat I read the ending in. I'm a little disappointed at how little it scratched the surface of a really intriguing world, but the writing was excellent as expected. I kind of felt it every time the main character said "it was to honor my father." I've had people congratulate and look up to me for things that I just kind of had to do, so it was quite relatable on that front.

On the same trip that I finished Under Heaven, I also finished rereading the first Hunger Games book. Pretty good book, I enjoy it every time. I noticed on this read how closely the movie followed the book, particularly in the interview section. Like, it was perfectly word for word for description lifted from the page.

I'm currently listening to Maze Runner. It's a bit odd, returning to Dystopian after a pretty long time without reading any, but it's a good book. It's a clever writing tactic to use the character's amusement at the slang to gradually get the reader used to it. I'm only about 12 chapters in, but I've had enough details spoiled over the years that I'm really looking forward to what comes next.

I switched from the audiobook to a physical book on The Burning White, looking forward to finally finishing it.

I also also started Old Man and the Sea, which is looking to be an interesting read (I only read the forward so far).

Edited by The Bald Brandon

• 2 weeks later...

I finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Considering the dark tone of the rest of the book, I actually loved the ending, and found it appropriate. It's a dark, gruesome book, but has a beautiful message.

I also just read Howl's Moving Castle, because I'm planning on watching the Miyazaki film soon. It was a simple book, but really fun. I can see why it's so popular.

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on Red Rising and The Will of the Many to read next. I've heard good things about both those books. Though I do need to do some research first.

I wanted to read Fourth Wing, but as far as I can tell there's some content in there that I don't really want to read...which is sad, because it sounded really cool.

28 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on Red Rising and The Will of the Many to read next. I've heard good things about both those books. Though I do need to do some research first.

I'd definitely agree on Red Rising, though if some things (no idea what exactly) make you uncomfortable, it might not be best book for you. I'm still waiting for Will of the Many to arrive, but I've enjoyed the author's other series (to this day, one of the best endings, and one of the more interesting worldbuilding concepts I've seen).

I finished the Burning White (I remembered it this time!), really good ending. Just the right note of sadness behind the happiness. 

@Treamayne, I have opinions! I'll send you a PM about it, but suffice it to say that I disagree, at least a little. 

I also finished Maze Runner. It was some ending. I think I'm going to continue reading, but I didn't like it all that much. The worldbuilding so far is kinda meh, but I think the second book can bring some more. Not hopeful on a third though.

I'm going to start To Sleep in a Sea of Stars. I'm looking forward to it, I heard some good things when it came out, and it will be fun to see all the improvements Paolini's made in the what, two decades since Eragon. Maybe eventually I'll grab Murtaugh too.

I started listening to Night Angel 2. It had such an ending that I'm not sure if it can pull it off, but I have faith in Brent Weeks.

I recently got (and read and finished, then started to reread) "Just Stab Me Now" from Jill Bearup. It's based on a YouTube shorts series she made, that all of us subscribers begged her to make a book of, and she did, and it fully lives up to my expectations. For a person who never intended to be an author, she sure wrote a great book! (Basically, it's a story about an author writing a romantasy novel, only her characters aren't doing any of the things she wants and keep ruining her tropes. Lots of meta action as the author keeps breaking into the characters' lives to tell them off for misbehaving. :))

Just finished rereading The Gathering Storm. Finally.. had a fire lit in me and read about 250 pages in the last 2 days. Very uncommon for me to do so now. It was better than I remembered.

Onto Towers now! I very much hope it doesn’t take 2 months.. I’m beyond ready to move on to something else but I’m a stubborn Cajun no question…

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 10:46 PM, RoyalBeeMage said:

so last weeked i finished fourth wing and iron flame Rebecca Yarros. i also finished the hunger games book 1 for the second time. just out of interest who else has read fourth wing?

I read like half of it, but I didn't really like the style so I gave up. My friend loved it though! She doesn't read that much but she devoured this book and the sequel.

Yesterday I finished Unseen Academicals. So far, it's definitely my favourite Pratchett book. I loved all the characters so much! Glenda was so cool and I really like Mr. Nutt. The book I read before this was The Last Continent, which I didn't really enjoy to be honest. The plot was really confusing and the humour of that book didn't work as well for me.

Now I'm reading The Narrow Road Between Desires. I'm around half way through and so far really enjoying it. I love the illustrations because Bast looks just like I imagine him. and I like the character of Rike as well. 

2 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

I read like half of it, but I didn't really like the style so I gave up. My friend loved it though! She doesn't read that much but she devoured this book and the sequel.

Yesterday I finished Unseen Academicals. So far, it's definitely my favourite Pratchett book. I loved all the characters so much! Glenda was so cool and I really like Mr. Nutt. The book I read before this was The Last Continent, which I didn't really enjoy to be honest. The plot was really confusing and the humour of that book didn't work as well for me.

Now I'm reading The Narrow Road Between Desires. I'm around half way through and so far really enjoying it. I love the illustrations because Bast looks just like I imagine him. and I like the character of Rike as well. 

i realy enjoyed the narrow road between desires. whats your thoughts on his main series?

Just now, RoyalBeeMage said:

i realy enjoyed the narrow road between desires. whats your thoughts on his main series?

I love the prose, but after finishing The Wise Man's Fear I don't really like Kvothe as a character anymore. He just kind of goes with the flow and doesn't have a great motivation. Yeah, he's looking for information about 

Spoiler

the chandrian

but it doesn't really affect his decisions all that much. It feels like I'm reading a dnd character going from adventure to adventure while being mildly impacted by his backstory.

That said, I actually do really like the books. They're a joy to read and I do like a lot of the side characters (like Bast). I'm definitely planning on re-reading them soon, although I do need to buy A Slow Regard For Silent Things because I really want to read that too.

2 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

I love the prose, but after finishing The Wise Man's Fear I don't really like Kvothe as a character anymore. He just kind of goes with the flow and doesn't have a great motivation. Yeah, he's looking for information about 

Hide contents

the chandrian

but it doesn't really affect his decisions all that much. It feels like I'm reading a dnd character going from adventure to adventure while being mildly impacted by his backstory.

That said, I actually do really like the books. They're a joy to read and I do like a lot of the side characters (like Bast). I'm definitely planning on re-reading them soon, although I do need to buy A Slow Regard For Silent Things because I really want to read that too.

i actualy have to agree. i recently read the series for the first time. if you call july recent and i loved them.

3 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

i actualy have to agree. i recently read the series for the first time. if you call july recent and i loved them.

Okay, I just finished The Narrow Road Between Desires. Probably shouldn't have been reading instead of working on my English project, but whatever. I loved this book. I love Bast. I love Rike. The ending was great, and it was nice to see Carter and the Cob and all of them. 

do you know how similar The Narrow Road Between Desiresis to "The Lightning Tree"? I got the impression looking at it that it was essentially an expansion on that story to some degree, but I haven't actually read it to compare.

On 3/8/2024 at 10:35 PM, Dunkum said:

do you know how similar The Narrow Road Between Desiresis to "The Lightning Tree"? I got the impression looking at it that it was essentially an expansion on that story to some degree, but I haven't actually read it to compare.

Narrow Road is an expansion of the Lightning tree. It's exactly the same story, but a little padded up and better edited. I love the series, BTW! One of my favourites.

On 2/10/2024 at 7:46 AM, RoyalBeeMage said:

Just out of interest who else has read fourth wing?

I read both Fourth Wing and Iron Flame. It's... OK, I guess. One of those series that are everywhere on BookTook for a while and then dissappear.

Reading Red Rising by Pierce Brown at the moment. Not sure if I love it yet, but I might. Anyone read the entire series?

On 3/9/2024 at 1:42 AM, The Sibling said:

Okay, I just finished The Narrow Road Between Desires. Probably shouldn't have been reading instead of working on my English project, but whatever. I loved this book. I love Bast. I love Rike. The ending was great, and it was nice to see Carter and the Cob and all of them. 

i loved them as well

6 minutes ago, Little_Dagger said:

Narrow Road is an expansion of the Lightning tree. It's exactly the same story, but a little padded up and better edited. I love the series, BTW! One of my favourites.

I read both Fourth Wing and Iron Flame. It's... OK, I guess. One of those series that are everywhere on BookTook for a while and then dissappear.

Reading Red Rising by Pierce Brown at the moment. Not sure if I love it yet, but I might. Anyone read the entire series?

i have to agree with fourth wing. i enjoyed them at the time but now second-guessing them. i tried reading red rising but never had enough time to finish the first book

27 minutes ago, Little_Dagger said:

That's probably a question for @The Bald Brandon:

On 7/27/2023 at 1:28 AM, The Bald Brandon said:

Go read Red Rising, just go do it.

I've read the original trilogy but none of the "added" material (books 4+). I loved Red Rising (the book), but was less enthused by book two and had to force myself to finish book three. But I admit that it's very much a YMMV series; some of the characters just really bothered me, and that made it hard for me to continue.

On 3/12/2024 at 5:57 AM, Little_Dagger said:

I read the first three books (aka the "original trilogy" before Brown turned it into a 7-book series) and I loved them! I haven't really felt the need to revisit them, which isn't uncommon. Only two authors have made me feel that. (Sanderson and Will Wight.) But those who get into the series LOVE IT. 

Reading a lot of LitRPG stuff this week. I finished 6 books during this Spring Break while ALSO playing the ever-loving-stuffing out of Unicorn Overlord and still being relatively social, so I feel pretty accomplished. 

Crown (Unbound 9) and All the Skills 3 were the two highlights of the 6 books so far, and I eagerly await the next installments in these series in September and August respectfully. I've got a few more things to try out, and then it's onto some Flintlock Fantasy and Epic Fantasy by Django Wexler I've procrastinated for far too long on.