Is anyone here not in college?

And here I have been, thinking I was the youngest person on here for a while. :unsure: I'm in my first year of High School, but I've been a fan since I was 10. Does that count?

Also, I give Kudos to any Middle Schooler that has over a thousand upvotes.

Wow! Someone who started younger than I did!

Thanks for the kudos. What are they, exactly? They sound like a type of Australlian Koala. :P

Technically, I'm not IN college anymore, since classes ended last week and I'll graduate on Saturday. Now that I have my Master's degree, I shall convert Liebrarians to the Free Kingdoms' cause! :ph34r:

Congrats on finishing up your Master's. What are you the Master of? ;)

I have a Master's as well, which I earned back in 2011 after working for several years after undergrad. Now I work in international development. I love my job and get to travel for work all the time. (For example I just found out today that on Friday I'm flying to Jordan for two weeks.)

For those of you scared of university, Green Hoodie Mistborn is correct, don't be afraid of it. I had the best time of my life during the four years of my Bachelors. I made amazing friends and had awesome life experiences. I also felt like High School was harder than university. It may have been the IB program kicking my butt, but it really prepped me for uni.  

Congrats on finishing up your Master's. What are you the Master of? ;)

I have a Master's as well, which I earned back in 2011 after working for several years after undergrad. Now I work in international development. I love my job and get to travel for work all the time. (For example I just found out today that on Friday I'm flying to Jordan for two weeks.)

For those of you scared of university, Green Hoodie Mistborn is correct, don't be afraid of it. I had the best time of my life during the four years of my Bachelors. I made amazing friends and had awesome life experiences. I also felt like High School was harder than university. It may have been the IB program kicking my butt, but it really prepped me for uni.  

Information Resources and Library Science. It's required for most library jobs with any hope of advancement. 

I am jealous. :mellow: 

Well, I am in university, it's the year break, and then I'll be approaching my final year :P (And yeah, we call it university here--college is this intermediate step between secondary school and university, but university is the equivalent of the American 'college'.)

I'd echo the calls not to be afraid of uni. Honestly, I really, really love what I'm doing, I'd study all the things if I could (it is rather unfair that most of us can't be Manets and do the eternal E'lir/undergrad thing) and it's just the best time of my life :P

Alas, all things must end and I've got to graduate soon.

...However, as the Tenth Doctor said:

...I don't want to go :/

In America...

High School = grants diploma after 12th grade - basic requirement for most jobs

Trade schools = grant certificates in specialized fields, i.e. carpentry, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, mechanic, etc...

Community College = can grant an Associates degree (2 years of college)

College = can grant Associates degree (2 years) or Bachelors degree (4 years of college) - some colleges also grant Masters degrees (2 years after already earning a bachelors degree)

University = in addition to what a college grants, can grant a doctorate/PhD (2-4 years after already earning a Masters degree)

Other points:

- In a college or University, the Associates degree and Bachelors degrees are called undergraduate and the Masters and doctorates are called graduate (or postgraduate). Someone in graduate school is earning at least a Masters degree.

- Universities also perform research

so a college is like a university, but it does not do research? so strange to hear of it. in europe they don't exist. if it gives university-llevel education, it also does research.

anyway, while most sanderfans seems to be in the 20-25  age range (or in the 15-30more broadly) there are plenty of them from every age. myself, i am doing a PhD.

In America...

High School = grants diploma after 12th grade - basic requirement for most jobs

Trade schools = grant certificates in specialized fields, i.e. carpentry, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, mechanic, etc...

Community College = can grant an Associates degree (2 years of college)

College = can grant Associates degree (2 years) or Bachelors degree (4 years of college) - some colleges also grant Masters degrees (2 years after already earning a bachelors degree)

University = in addition to what a college grants, can grant a doctorate/PhD (2-4 years after already earning a Masters degree)

Other points:

- In a college or University, the Associates degree and Bachelors degrees are called undergraduate and the Masters and doctorates are called graduate (or postgraduate). Someone in graduate school is earning at least a Masters degree.

- Universities also perform research

To make things even better, universities often consist of multiple colleges. So while I officially went to the Illinois Institute of Technology (a university), I was enrolled in the College of Science and Letters there (which was responsible for science majors, more or less), instead of the Kent College of Law, or the College of Arts and Sciences. 

so a college is like a university, but it does not do research? so strange to hear of it. in europe they don't exist. if it gives university-llevel education, it also does research.

anyway, while most sanderfans seems to be in the 20-25  age range (or in the 15-30more broadly) there are plenty of them from every age. myself, i am doing a PhD.

Colleges in America do do research, because as Argent said, they're usually within universities. There are research universities in America that are made up of colleges. 

However, to be even more confusing to everyone, I went to the College of Letters and Science at the University of California, Davis but do not identify that "College" as where I went to school. It's UC Davis through and through. I took classes all across the university, not just in my college. 

University/College can be both Fantastic and Horrific.

Things to look forward to: Adventures! New Friendships! Excitement! Starting a quasi-legal Racing League! (though that last one was just me, most people do that sorts of things)

Things you'd do best to avoid: Rooming with stoners and alcoholics(not fun), taking math classes at 8 in the morning, getting busted by the cops for jamming out in an abandoned building with your mates(not that I'd know anything about that...)

I've experienced both sides, and I can say it's awesome when it's the former, but it's not fun when it's the latter.

Then again, that can be said of the rest of life too...

Once upon a time, I was in College/University whatever you call it in your country  :ph34r: Seems like a lifetime ago  :ph34r: I drank a lot of beer, had a lot of fun, passed through several sleepless nights both voluntary and involuntary, half crumbled under stress before I finally graduated.

I now have two young bouncing kids and a very cool job  B)  B)  B) so yep, it was totally worth the effort  ;)

Oh, high school. Junior. Just one more year... *le sigh* As someone on the interwebs once put it, "I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! In Azkaban!"

I am pleased that there are so many similar-aged-ish Sanderfans here, though. :)

Edited by Slowswift

Oh, high school. Junior. Just one more year... *le sigh* As someone on the interwebs once put it, "I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! In Azkaban!"

I am pleased that there are so many similar-aged-ish Sanderfans here, though. :)

Or, to borrow from Count Rugen in The Princess Bride....

"I just sucked twelve years of your life away. Tell me: how does it feel?"

Or, to borrow from Count Rugen in The Princess Bride....

"I just sucked twelve years of your life away. Tell me: how does it feel?"

Terrible. I actually can't wait to finish and get to a mission and college, despite how taxing I've heard they can be.  :ph34r: At this point, I think anything would be better than the mental asylum high school.

Terrible. I actually can't wait to finish and get to a mission and college, despite how taxing I've heard they can be. :ph34r: At this point, I think anything would be better than the mental asylum high school.

I don't know about missions, but I can tell you that college is worlds better than high school. Most profs treat you like an adult, trust you to finish the work on your own, and on test days, if you finish before class is over, you can leave early. There is the odd prof who thinks they're still teaching high school freshmen (one I had would make us stay late if we packed up our books early...and on a campus where it could take 10 minutes just to get from one building to the other, she was basically making us late to our other classes because we were packing up our books so we'd be on time) but for the most part, even the mediocre ones are better than high school teachers.