Is anyone here not in college?

I almost became one of those adults that never read. Most of the required reading in High School bored me to tears. While Anne of Green Gables (for example) might be an excellent work, I don't find it interesting. Forcing someone to read something they don't like is not the way to foster a love of reading. We homeschool and my wife makes our kids read for at least a half-hour per day (in addition to school work) any thing they want. That gets them into reading something they like.

I am in the older (not old, older) crowd along with Kaymyth, maxal, navybrandt (?), Mrs. K and Fedcomic.  34 solid years on this earth.

Also, when I read it in high school, I actually liked The Stranger.

I'm 7 months older than Brandon I believe! Which makes me anxious as I hope I'm still around for the end of SA! It also makes me unusual for the forum demographic: female, forty and with children of my own. *waves to the other parents*

Hi  :) For the longest time, I thought I was the only one with kids around here  :huh: I guess it makes two us, unusual female readers, though I am still in my thirties. 

Over here, my oldest is starting school next fall. She can't wait to learn how to read.. Poor thing. I have not told her yet they don't teach reading in kindergarden  :(

I almost became one of those adults that never read. Most of the required reading in High School bored me to tears. While Anne of Green Gables (for example) might be an excellent work, I don't find it interesting. Forcing someone to read something they don't like is not the way to foster a love of reading. We homeschool and my wife makes our kids read for at least a half-hour per day (in addition to school work) any thing they want. That gets them into reading something they like.

Well.... Ann of Green Cables is an amazing books... for teenage girls... I can see why a teenage boy would not like it  ;)

Also 40 and with kids. *Waves back to Mrs. K.*

Hi parents  :)

I am in the older (not old, older) crowd along with Kaymyth, maxal, navybrandt (?), Mrs. K and Fedcomic.  34 solid years on this earth.

Pfff we are not old.. At work, I am still considered young  -_-  30 is the new 20 and 40 is the new 25  -_-  -_-  -_- Besides, I would NEVER go back to 10 years ago. Gee. No. Niet. Nada. 

Life is much better now  B)

Edited by maxal

40 with 4 kids - two of them adults, *Waves back at the "old wise people."

Due to my high school's policy on study hall in senior year we were actually allowed to do whatever and even up and go home if we had no class during a point in time (though if we were still here we gotta stick to the school rules).

I skipped an entire day each week on my last semester, and when I'm not in class there's usually someone trying to play cards or board games somewhere because we were all bored and a teacher actually kept his collection on a shelf for loan.

That probably doesn't normally happen. And AP/college classes require full attention or you will likely be screwed. Though what most schools do once AP exams end I have no idea. We had documentary videos to go through.

I'm also pretty sure normal AP Biology lab demonstrations don't involve the spontaneous combustion of Australian gummy bears. But I don't know for sure.

The problem is that schools don't assign the interesting classics. They need more authors like Dostoevsky. Dostoevsky writes exciting novels like Crime and Punishment (axe murder) and The Brothers Karamazov (love triangles and murder)... there are so many great classics out there, and in high school they just feed kids the boring ones and, unsurprisingly, kids sparknote all of them.

And classics certainly are important. There's nothing quite like reading a book written a hundred years ago in a different country and a different culture and realizing how human nature doesn't change.

Heck, classic authors have written fun things too. I picked up a Steinbeck anthology a year or two back and read In Dubious Battle, where a rather violent revolt is staged on an apple farm. It was like reading a thriller. 

Edited by sun tzaro

• 3 months later...