Is anyone here not in college?

THAT. I really had a lot of problems starting to read anything longer than a comic book because of that. The problem is that the "classics" and the "literature" is always a controversial topic. Is Tolkien a classic? Robert Jordan? Assimov? Sanderson once Cosmere is finished? Is fantasy/cifi "literature"? I'd say yes, but the "enlighted" that say what should and shouldn't be one thing or the other disagree.

I work on a bookstore (we sell fantasy/cf/terror books only). So no. I'm not in college. I don't even know what you mean by "college" (shame on me). Here in Spain you do prescolar (3-5y), primaria (6-12), secundaria (13-16), bachillerato/formación profesional (16-18 or 20) and universidad (18->). You wouldn't believe the lot of people that comes to the store buying books to firends because "I don't read. I'm too old for reading." or "yeah... fantasy is for kids I'm a gronw up I don't read those things".

I live in Quebec/Canada, we have a weird schooling system  :ph34r: We have kindergarden (5y), primary (6-12y - 6 grades) and secondary (13-17 - grades 1 to 5). After that, you have to go to Cegep/College before going to University. It is an in-between level where you chose your field of study such as Applied Sciences or Social Sciences, but no matter what you choose, you still have a bunch of mandatory classes to do such as literature (4 classes), philosophy (3 classes), second language (2 classes) and physical education (2 classes). These programs take 2 years to complete and depending on your curriculum will open you doors for University. You are given a R grade which will be taken into account to enter the University program of your choosing (for example, to enter medicine, you need the highest R grade)

You can also choose a technical program in Cegep/College to become a technician such a technician in civil engineering (for example). These programs last 3 years and you still have to do the mandatory classes. Afterwards, you can either go work or pursue at University. 

In others words, we leave "High School" one year faster than the Americans. Cegep is similar to a small University: it works relatively the same. You have a schedule and teachers do not care if you attend or not. You are treated as an adult, which is fitting as we are adults at 18 here, but there no bar on ground because many are still minor when entering. However, most Cegep have bars right across the street  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

So anyway, in this in-between level, we do a lot of literature with a lot of painful read. Most people I knew were put of reading during these years where they were forced to discuss the supposed classics.... but I can see the purpose of it for a class named "literature". I severely criticized the purpose of having 15 years old teenage boys read this:

9782012814554-G.jpg

Seriously  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  My husband gave up reading completely after that one. For my part, I believe a book does not need the label "classic" to be worthy of educating teenagers/young adults, especially not in High School. I believe having them read decent well written book of various style is more worthy than having them discuss this:

camus-3.jpg

A boring book about a guy who wonders for 300 pages whether he should kill or not a guy, if I recall properly :ph34r: Funny is all the kids who actually enjoyed those books ended up pursuing a career in literature... The others most likely do not read today  :ph34r:  :(

I live in Quebec/Canada, we have a weird schooling system :ph34r: We have kindergarden (5y), primary (6-12y - 6 grades) and secondary (13-17 - grades 1 to 5). After that, you have to go to Cegep/College before going to University. It is an in-between level where you chose your field of study such as Applied Sciences or Social Sciences, but no matter what you choose, you still have a bunch of mandatory classes to do such as literature (4 classes), philosophy (3 classes), second language (2 classes) and physical education (2 classes). These programs take 2 years to complete and depending on your curriculum will open you doors for University. You are given a R grade which will be taken into account to enter the University program of your choosing (for example, to enter medicine, you need the highest R grade)

You can also choose a technical program in Cegep/College to become a technician such a technician in civil engineering (for example). These programs last 3 years and you still have to do the mandatory classes. Afterwards, you can either go work or pursue at University.

In others words, we leave "High School" one year faster than the Americans. Cegep is similar to a small University: it works relatively the same. You have a schedule and teachers do not care if you attend or not. You are treated as an adult, which is fitting as we are adults at 18 here, but there no bar on ground because many are still minor when entering. However, most Cegep have bars right across the street :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

So anyway, in this in-between level, we do a lot of literature with a lot of painful read. Most people I knew were put of reading during these years where they were forced to discuss the supposed classics.... but I can see the purpose of it for a class named "literature". I severely criticized the purpose of having 15 years old teenage boys read this:

9782012814554-G.jpg

Seriously :blink::blink::blink: My husband gave up reading completely after that one. For my part, I believe a book does not need the label "classic" to be worthy of educating teenagers/young adults, especially not in High School. I believe having them read decent well written book of various style is more worthy than having them discuss this:

camus-3.jpg

A boring book about a guy who wonders for 300 pages whether he should kill or not a guy, if I recall properly :ph34r: Funny is all the kids who actually enjoyed those books ended up pursuing a career in literature... The others most likely do not read today :ph34r::(

My sister had to read The Stranger and she absolutely loathed it. Seriously, she'd pause her reading every few pages to rant about how awful the book was.

Here in the States, we don't make boys read about ballrooms and high society so much as we make girls read about men and their problems. Most books considered "literature" at

The high school level are told from a male perspective--Oedipus, Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, The Great Gatsby, Death of a Salesman, and so on. And I liked many of those, but many books told from a female perspective are more likely to be taught at the university level in a Women's Studies class.

My sister had to read The Stranger and she absolutely loathed it. Seriously, she'd pause her reading every few pages to rant about how awful the book was.

Here in the States, we don't make boys read about ballrooms and high society so much as we make girls read about men and their problems. Most books considered "literature" at

The high school level are told from a male perspective--Oedipus, Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, The Great Gatsby, Death of a Salesman, and so on. And I liked many of those, but many books told from a female perspective are more likely to be taught at the university level in a Women's Studies class.

I feel for your sister :(  The Stranger was an awful, awful read and worst I recall at the time thinking to myself I should like it because it is a stupid "classic". My secondary 5 teacher made us read it (equivalent of 11th grade)... that and this awfully boring book written by some French author from Quebec at the turn of the last century... So boring and you know what? I had to read it AGAIN in literature class while in Cegep, but admittedly, it was about 1000 better than the Stranger or anything written by Camus. Don't try reading The Pest  :blink: Honestly, I am quite sure over a thousand of years of French literature produced much better work than this one... How about Alexandre Dumas? Or even Alexandre Jardin, quite good for teenagers, but no no no, it was all about Zola, Balzac and Camus  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

My husband also read The Merchant of Venise in his second language class at 14 years old... Right. Make 14 years old teenage boys whom are just learning English read Saskespear written in old English. Way to go. Good teaching. Nobody understood a thing  :rolleyes: I wonder why. Such a great school he went to  :ph34r: I don't want to send my kids there  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: even if its a well rated school  :ph34r:

In my school, we read The Outsiders, which was written by a woman, for the English class which was a 1000 more times more appropriate  -_- but I went to a low key public school... 

As for the ballroom book, honestly, most people hated it, even girls. Zola and Balzac were French authors who lives in a time period where they were paid for each written pages, so the more they wrote, the more money they made. You easily figure out their books are filled with pages and pages and pages of useless descriptions. I have heard people complaining of Jordan describing every piece of clothes the girls wore, this was NOTHING in comparison. Really NOTHING.

No women authors in the States? Never had to read Agatha Cristies? Or Ann of Green Cables? Such a cute one for young teenager girls  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: Alright, boys would probably hate it :ph34r: , but it is a good book. So adorable and truly very Canadian -_-  Or Little Women? Isn't this a classic in the States? Or Jane Austen? You do not read Jane Austen in the States?

I've read all of those. :P

Jane Austen is possibly one of my favorite authors. I love her wit and intellect, especially her insight into the social issues of her time period. Pride and Prejudice is on my list of most favorite books. I absolutely love it.

Little Women is good, and also Little Men, the sequel.

I've just started reading Agatha Christie's work, and am so far enjoying it greatly. I like it when the plot twists *actually* surprise me.

No women authors in the States? Never had to read Agatha Cristies? Or Ann of Green Cables? Such a cute one for young teenager girls  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: Alright, boys would probably hate it :ph34r: , but it is a good book. So adorable and truly very Canadian -_-  Or Little Women? Isn't this a classic in the States? Or Jane Austen? You do not read Jane Austen in the States?

It's odd. While those books are definitely considered classics—as are Count of Monte Cristo (which I adore) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame—they aren't usually read in schools. When they are, they're put on an elective reading list, where students can read them for assignments like book reports, or for points as part of programs designed to get them to read longer and more difficult books. Seldom will a teacher require their entire class to read Anne of Green Gables or Little Women.

The reason for this is that prevalent "wisdom" here in the States says that while girls are able to enjoy books told from a male perspective, boys rarely enjoy books told from a female perspective. Which is so sexist it would be hilarious, if it weren't so commonly accepted. And it's wrong. Just look at all the teenage boys who loved The Hunger Games. Or talk to a brony, or one of any number of guys who enjoyed Frozen.

There are some teachers who refuse to believe it. When I was in 11th grade, my English teacher assigned us Harriet Ann Jacobs' Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, an 1861 autobiography of a former slave who detailed all of the horrible things an attractive female slave could face on a Southern plantation back in those days. The boys in my class loved it, were horrified by the things Jacobs went through, sympathized with her….in other words, they and my teacher proved that boys can and do enjoy books written by and about women, and they enjoy them quite a bit. But that doesn't stop the majority of American teachers from assigning books written by and about men. 

It probably doesn't help that in the U.S. everything must be measured and scored. A teacher who has gotten their students to read 100 books over the course of the school year will show up on paper as being worse than one who only got their students to read five books but had them turn in meaningless reports on each one that could be graded. Now I do understand that it is necessary to have some prof that the students actually read the book but instead of a simple summary or an in class discussion we were forced to do utterly meaningless reports that often seemed like they were completely unrelated to the actual book.

Also on the actual topic of the thread I've finished my classes at college and am just finishing off the last hundred or so work hours left till I can be done for good... based on what I've seen of the real world so far, juries out on whether or not graduation is a good thing.

One problem I've seen (at least in the States) is that people stop actively learning after school. You should always be reading a book or taking a class or experiencing something to better yourself. Spend time with people more successful than you and learn from them and put positive thoughts in your head. Find your passion and work on improving it. Stay away from harmful behaviors that destroy any progress you've made toward success. You can't control luck, but you can avoid behavior with bad odds and participate in behaviors with better odds. It is the secret to success. Get your priorities right; don't give up; use your resources wisely; stay focused; develop the right relations; don’t be greedy; and don’t be complacent.

Young people that are just finishing school - heed these words! Older people, like me, back me up and convince them that what I'm saying is right!

Anne of Green Gables! I love that one. And I really need to read some Jane Austen, but I always forget and start some other book...

While on the topic, I thought I'd add The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. The Secret Garden is one of my favorites. And for general fabulous classic books, Shakespeare. I thought it'd be boring, but it's fabulous.

The books they force you to read in school are awful. I think it contributes to people disliking reading altogether.

Not to be that guy, but my school district had me read most, if not all, of those female authors listed a few posts up. Perhaps it was simply your district/state? I always felt I had a good split between male and female authors, and my favorite classic of all time is Wuthering Heights.

And no discussion of books for teenage girls is complete without mentioning Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. It should be required reading for everyone. It was so good, and had such a strong message that every teenager should hear.

Not to be that guy, but my school district had me read most, if not all, of those female authors listed a few posts up. Perhaps it was simply your district/state? I always felt I had a good split between male and female authors, and my favorite classic of all time is Wuthering Heights.

And no discussion of books for teenage girls is complete without mentioning Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. It should be required reading for everyone. It was so good, and had such a strong message that every teenager should hear.

My district only taught Speak as part of its Modern Teen Lit course--an elective for seniors. Needless to say, I find this an absolute travesty. That book should be taught to all high schoolers, but not the way they usually teach books (reports, repeated analysis, hammering the symbolism through your skull). I think teens should be required to read it, and to complete quizzes to prove they're paying attention, and then when everyone is finished, the entire class should get together and say what they thought of it. Speak is one of those books that should be read, but where the less intervention is given, the better.

My district only taught Speak as part of its Modern Teen Lit course--an elective for seniors. Needless to say, I find this an absolute travesty. That book should be taught to all high schoolers, but not the way they usually teach books (reports, repeated analysis, hammering the symbolism through your skull). I think teens should be required to read it, and to complete quizzes to prove they're paying attention, and then when everyone is finished, the entire class should get together and say what they thought of it. Speak is one of those books that should be read, but where the less intervention is given, the better.

That's how my district teaches it. It is required reading for all 9th graders, Honors English 9 and  English 9, and we didn't take quizes, but instead used sticky notes to leave "feedback" inside our book. When we had finished, we broke into groups and discussed it for three days (total of three hours). It was great, and everyone enjoyed it.

It's odd. While those books are definitely considered classics—as are Count of Monte Cristo (which I adore) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame—they aren't usually read in schools. When they are, they're put on an elective reading list, where students can read them for assignments like book reports, or for points as part of programs designed to get them to read longer and more difficult books. Seldom will a teacher require their entire class to read Anne of Green Gables or Little Women.

The reason for this is that prevalent "wisdom" here in the States says that while girls are able to enjoy books told from a male perspective, boys rarely enjoy books told from a female perspective. Which is so sexist it would be hilarious, if it weren't so commonly accepted. And it's wrong. Just look at all the teenage boys who loved The Hunger Games. Or talk to a brony, or one of any number of guys who enjoyed Frozen.

There are some teachers who refuse to believe it. When I was in 11th grade, my English teacher assigned us Harriet Ann Jacobs' Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, an 1861 autobiography of a former slave who detailed all of the horrible things an attractive female slave could face on a Southern plantation back in those days. The boys in my class loved it, were horrified by the things Jacobs went through, sympathized with her….in other words, they and my teacher proved that boys can and do enjoy books written by and about women, and they enjoy them quite a bit. But that doesn't stop the majority of American teachers from assigning books written by and about men. 

This is strange to hear. Where I live, I never noticed any negative bias towards women authors. I never got the feelings my male fellow students would shy away from a book written by a women. Arguably, I can understand why teenage boys would not be thrilled over Ann of Green Cables, as they are not part of intended audience, which does not mean some boys cannot enjoy the book, but if most didn't, I would not be surprised. However, it is an adorable book, pleasant to read and much more relevant than anything Émile Zola wrote  :blink:

One problem I've seen (at least in the States) is that people stop actively learning after school. You should always be reading a book or taking a class or experiencing something to better yourself. Spend time with people more successful than you and learn from them and put positive thoughts in your head. Find your passion and work on improving it. Stay away from harmful behaviors that destroy any progress you've made toward success. You can't control luck, but you can avoid behavior with bad odds and participate in behaviors with better odds. It is the secret to success. Get your priorities right; don't give up; use your resources wisely; stay focused; develop the right relations; don’t be greedy; and don’t be complacent.

Young people that are just finishing school - heed these words! Older people, like me, back me up and convince them that what I'm saying is right!

I am heeding to your words  -_-

I would like to add, to all young people, never let anyone tell you what you should or should not like. Simply because a book, a movie or a TV series is considered a masterpiece by the critics around the world does not mean you have to like it. The reverse is also true, simply because a book, a movie or a TV series is considered popular culture and critics tend to think it inferior does not mean you cannot enjoy it. 

To quote Julia Roberts  :ph34r: , I would say: "You are not even required to like it. You are required to consider it." So give the thing a chance before stating you hate it, but don't think less of yourself if you do.

Anne of Green Gables! I love that one. And I really need to read some Jane Austen, but I always forget and start some other book...

While on the topic, I thought I'd add The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. The Secret Garden is one of my favorites. And for general fabulous classic books, Shakespeare. I thought it'd be boring, but it's fabulous.

The books they force you to read in school are awful. I think it contributes to people disliking reading altogether.

I never read Jane Austen either... Not very popular in a French environment.

I'm not in the age group you're calling on to back you up (I'm only 28), but I agree with this whole-heartedly. I'd also combine it with something maxal said:

never let anyone tell you what you should or should not like. 

In direct reference to this thread topic, I very nearly didn't go the university I graduated from because I let people sway my opinion of it. In high school, I wanted to go to one of the BYU's but I never even applied, because I'd grown up hearing my brothers and their friends bash on those types of schools, and I was worried about what they'd say if I went there. So I started at a community college instead. I don't regret that choice, because ultimately it was better for me financially, but I do wish that I hadn't let people's opinions sway my own.

I highly recommend that if you really want to do something and someone close to you is trying to change your mind--but they don't have any real world experience with what you want to do any more than you do--don't listen to them. Study it out for yourself and if you still want to do it, do it. You're in charge of your own life and no one else (not even your parents, if you're an adult). You're the one who has to live with the regrets and/or memories you make.

I'm not in the age group you're calling on to back you up (I'm only 28), but I agree with this whole-heartedly. I'd also combine it with something maxal said:

In direct reference to this thread topic, I very nearly didn't go the university I graduated from because I let people sway my opinion of it. In high school, I wanted to go to one of the BYU's but I never even applied, because I'd grown up hearing my brothers and their friends bash on those types of schools, and I was worried about what they'd say if I went there. So I started at a community college instead. I don't regret that choice, because ultimately it was better for me financially, but I do wish that I hadn't let people's opinions sway my own.

I highly recommend that if you really want to do something and someone close to you is trying to change your mind--but they don't have any real world experience with what you want to do any more than you do--don't listen to them. Study it out for yourself and if you still want to do it, do it. You're in charge of your own life and no one else (not even your parents, if you're an adult). You're the one who has to live with the regrets and/or memories you make.

Beautifully said :) Raise your hands those who has never succumb to peer pressure at least once in their life? 

I would add do not refuse an advice given freely and in good will by people who care about you. Take it, study it, scrutinize it and decide for yourself if it is a valid one, for you, but do not reject it simply because it comes from your lame parents :ph34r:  Reject it because it does not suit you. The reverse is also true, because all your peers say it, it does not make it true. And yes, even if your parents tend to be outdated morons most of the time, it happens they may be right, sometimes, or not. Just try to make your own opinion, throw the message away, not the sender.

Beautifully said :) Raise your hands those who has never succumb to peer pressure at least once in their life?

I would add do not refuse an advice given freely and in good will by people who care about you. Take it, study it, scrutinize it and decide for yourself if it is a valid one, for you, but do not reject it simply because it comes from your lame parents :ph34r: Reject it because it does not suit you. The reverse is also true, because all your peers say it, it does not make it true. And yes, even if your parents tend to be outdated morons most of the time, it happens they may be right, sometimes, or not. Just try to make your own opinion, throw the message away, not the sender.

Just the 2 cents from an old person your parents are probably right most of the time. Mine were as much as I hate to admit it. I didn't know this until I had my own kids. Maybe not all parents and times do change but your parents have something you do not. They have experience. They have the hindsight of learning from mistakes they made. There is no shortcut to gaining experience. It comes only with time. It's valuable and should be respected.

I also agree with following your own destiny but don't dismiss the wisdom of others who have followed theirs and learned from their mistakes and successes. If you listen you may learn something.

Just the 2 cents from an old person your parents are probably right most of the time. Mine were as much as I hate to admit it. I didn't know this until I had my own kids. Maybe not all parents and times do change but your parents have something you do not. They have experience. They have the hindsight of learning from mistakes they made. There is no shortcut to gaining experience. It comes only with time. It's valuable and should be respected.

I also agree with following your own destiny but don't dismiss the wisdom of others who have followed theirs and learned from their mistakes and successes. If you listen you may learn something.

Hey... I have kids as well  ;) There is nothing more puzzling in life to spend your young years pestering against your parents who did such a bad job raising you (according to you) only to wake up one day, with a child, and end up doing/saying to said child the exact same   :huh: thing your parents once did with you. You then realize how utterly imperfect you are and learn one of the greatest truth in life: "You will screw up at least one. Just try not to screw up on the things that matters the most." You also quickly come to the conclusion your parents did not do such a bad job after all as you: 1) are alive and healthy, 2) have a good job you love, 3) bought a house and 4) are relatively happy. 

You and I are basically saying the same thing, except I did not want to go as far as stating "parents are always right". They are not always right and some parents have unresolved issues they transposed on their kids, so listening to them may not always be the right move. However, you should hear them out before you decide their advice is not worth it. Young adults/teenagers should not always do as their parents say, but they should learn how to listen truthfully instead of remaining in the confrontation zone which is counter-productive.

For example, some parents will push/pressure their kids to enter a prestigious field of study, completely unsuited for them, simply for the pride of saying "My son is studying to be a doctor, I am such a good successful parent."  :rolleyes: On the reverse, the kid that does not know what to do with his life, that struggles to find a place, that goes from one program to another, should probably listen to advice and have a talk with his parents to help him figure it out, which is not always easy.

And yeah, my mom was right about a great deal many things. Before I had my first child, I was just too self-absorbed to realize it  :ph34r: and to appreciate her worth  :(

Just to clarify my comment wasn't meant to contradict anything you said on the contrary I agree with it. As I said mostly right but not always. I agree it's easy to interject your own wishes which may not always be the best for your kids. Sometimes past regrets also play into this. Which goes right back to experience. I think it's easy when your young to dismiss or undervalue your parents experience and advice I know I did.

Becoming a parent I developed a new respect for what my parents did. First off kids do not come with instruction manuals which I somehow overlooked when I was younger blaming them for not doing things right. Sure there are plenty of books and an endless amount of info on the internet but wow read it and see how contradictory it is. In my late teens and early 20's I found myself criticizing my parents for all their mistakes and stupid advice. Now I see they just did the best they could with what they had. Had I listened and respected some of their advice I would have avoided some real pitfalls. I have and will make mistakes with my kids. I will always try to steer them to the better or safer path and help them avoid mistakes especially ones I made. Same exact thing my parents did hopefully my kids will listen better :)

Just to clarify my comment wasn't meant to contradict anything you said on the contrary I agree with it. As I said mostly right but not always. I agree it's easy to interject your own wishes which may not always be the best for your kids. Sometimes past regrets also play into this. Which goes right back to experience. I think it's easy when your young to dismiss or undervalue your parents experience and advice I know I did.

Becoming a parent I developed a new respect for what my parents did. First off kids do not come with instruction manuals which I somehow overlooked when I was younger blaming them for not doing things right. Sure there are plenty of books and an endless amount of info on the internet but wow read it and see how contradictory it is. In my late teens and early 20's I found myself criticizing my parents for all their mistakes and stupid advice. Now I see they just did the best they could with what they had. Had I listened and respected some of their advice I would have avoided some real pitfalls. I have and will make mistakes with my kids. I will always try to steer them to the better or safer path and help them avoid mistakes especially ones I made. Same exact thing my parents did hopefully my kids will listen better :)

-_-  -_-  -_- When you have a new baby, people say: "Have a nice meeting." Before I had a child, I thought it was a stupidest/lamest thing to say, but no it isn't. You are truly going to meet a new person which does not come with instructions on how to use and how to deal with. Shame  :huh: To younger people, I would say, give your old folks a break as, believe it or not, there is a very good chance they are trying.

Makes me think of Bill Gates advice to high school students some colleague pinned on the news board at work a few years back. Priceless. And so true, not for everyone, but in general. 

I sometimes say if I do half the job my parents did, my kids aren't too badly set for life  ;)

I have realized that basically everyone here is in college. Is anyone not?

Well, I just got here, but I'm a few years out of college. 

Oh, and as I'm just noticing the parental discussion above - hi. I have an 11 month old daughter who has become one of the brightest stars in my life. Good to see others with little ones on here. 

Edited by Lighteyes

Well, I just got here, but I'm a few years out of college. 

Oh, and as I'm just noticing the parental discussion above - hi. I have an 11 month old daughter who has become one of the brightest stars in my life. Good to see others with little ones on here. 

Yep :) , but we do not tend to talk much about our kids... as this forum is not a parental one  ;) But since we are on the subject of kids, hi, I have an almost 5 years old daughter and a 2 years old son. 

Huh, looks like I'm the only one who liked it?

Prior to reading it, to be fair, I tried trudging through The Myth of Sisyphus, which was almost disastrously obscure but did allow me to get a little more used to Camus' writing - enough to let me find The Stranger interesting. There are also people who manage to get too into it, which isn't exactly good for them; I wonder about the wisdom of making it required reading.

From my personal experience, it seems people often read a lot when they are younger, but end up giving it up as they age. Why? I do not know. I myself go into dry periods, but I always come back to reading. Perhaps it is they get bored or feel the story are too similar or are just not taking the time to read anymore. Parents my age tend to spend their evening cleaning and going to bed ridiculously early  :huh:

I'll admit that this is kind of morbid, but I tell my wife regularly that if I am ever in some kind of accident or illness that prevents me from being able to enjoy a story (in any form: book, tv, movie what have you) then she can pull the plug.  I can't imagine getting older and not being able to(or not wanting to) read.  It is one of the few things in life that I can point to emphatically and say "That! That is my passion".

Back to the thread topic: only a little bit out from 30 myself, finished my bachelor's in Comp. Science almost 8 years ago.  Married DINK (Dual Income/No Kids), and just recently moved across the country to a state that will almost certainly give me skin cancer at some point.  Weather sure is nice, though.  I'd say adult life is sitting well with me, surely beats being broke and struggling to pay bills in college. Someone would have to pay me to go back.  I never have been a fan of the traditional school setting.

Edited by DeployParachute

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 7 months older than Brandon I believe! Which makes me anxious as I hope I'm still around for the end of SA! It also makes me unusual for the forum demographic: female, forty and with children of my own. *waves to the other parents*

I graduated university with an English degree and have a post-graduate teaching qualification which I used to teach secondary English (aged 11-18 year olds) for four years before having my first child whereupon I became a stay-at-home parent. My youngest started school this year so I'm just returning to the world of work, although currently self-employed as a freelance writer/creator of reports with a side line in exam grading to pay the bills.

Interesting to hear the debates around the teaching of literature. I'm a huge believer in good teaching fostering a love of books not quashing the desire to read out of children altogether. I think, done well, most literature can be opened up to most people. I used active techniques a lot when I was teaching. I taught Romeo and Juliet to a group of twelve year olds who all had profound and severe learning issues of one kind or another. They LOVED it and didn't want to stop when the class finished. We used lots and lots of drama and speaking work and plenty of interactive/media exercises. They're absolute favourite moment appeared to be the lesson we spent hurling Shakespearean insults at each - they definitely were able to see the use of Shakespeare in the modern world after that one! I don't teach any more but, personally, think a broad, rich diet of good quality writing (rather than "Literature" with a capital L) is the right of every child.