Thanks. :) It's already helping me sort through all the dates and events in my head.

Does Funtimes ever refer to her powers as "THE BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!!"? :P

She would if Lightwards asked why on Earth Calamity thought it a good idea to grace her with such a bizarre gift. :P And then she would ask why the Great Noodly One chose to give him a stupid gift like making zombies while she could make it rain Skittles. 

Wait...is Oregon actually said as destroyed in Steelheart??

Megan says it was completely destroyed, that "even the trees are gone." 

She would if Lightwards asked why on Earth Calamity thought it a good idea to grace her with such a bizarre gift. :P And then she would ask why the Great Noodly One chose to give him a stupid gift like making zombies while she could make it rain Skittles. 

"How dare you suggest I'm not as powerful as you!"

And thus, for the first time ever, a fleet of undead pterodactyls dropped bags of candy over the heads of terrified Portlanders.

Wait...is Oregon actually said as destroyed in Steelheart??

From Steelheart Chapter 21. For context, Megan and David are talking.

"I grew up in Portland," she said. "Do you know what happened there?"

I did, though I didn't say. It hadn't been good.

"The turf wars between Epics left the city in ruins," Megan continued, her voice softer now. "There is nothing left, David. Nothing. All of Oregon is a wasteland; even the trees are gone. There aren't any power plants, sewage treatment plants, or grocery stores. That was what Newcago would have become, if Steelheart hadn't stepped in."

Funnily enough, I forgot that David already knew. It makes sense though, considering how much he knows about Fractured States history.

It was Joe who suggested setting the RP in Oregon, based on that passage.

That's all I could gather at the moment. Naturally a lot of the precise years center around my characters, as they're the only ones I can state with some degree of certainty. I'd love it if other people could fill in the blanks with their characters--I'm especially interested in when Lucentia took control over Astoria and when Phoenix and Saccharine's lab disaster occurred.

You want me to set down a timeline, like no wiggle room? Ugh, fine. :P  (I´ll use red just so the changes become apparent.)

2013 A.D.: Calamity appears in the night sky. 2013 was Steelheart's publication date, and thus was selected as the year Calamity first appeared.

2014: Roughly a year later, the first Epics begin to manifest powers. Most early Epics wear masks or otherwise attempt to conceal their identities.

2014(?): Milton Towren discovers his illusionist abilities.

2014: Thomas Cardinal discovers his necromantic abilities.

2014: Rita Blue discovers her Epic powers.

2015: Alexandra Hawkins discovers her space-warping abilities.

2015: Michael Jäger discovered his Epic powers, bolting from his home town shortly afterwards and taking his sister with him.

September 24th, 2015: Annexation Day. Steelheart seizes control of Chicago, Illinois with the Great Transference. Nightwielder plunges the city into perpetual gloom. Date chosen as the novel's publication date. If anyone knows the actual date in canon, don't hesitate to let me know.

2015: U.S. government passes the Capitulation Act, declaring all Epics exempt from the law. By this point other Epic despots are believed to have seized power.

2015: The younger Jäger sibling awakened to her powers.

2015: The Epics SparkCloud and Hardwire wage war in Portland, Oregon, destroying the city's central power grid.

2015-2016: Altermind seizes a portion of Portland, founding the urban center of Thoughttown.

2015: Jonah Trumble leaves Newcago, taking the name Chicago Joe.

2016: With no evidence of Reckoner existence prior to the Capitulation Act, this is possibly the founding year of the Reckoners.

February 2016: Steve Lawrence discovers his past-seeing abilities.

Feburary 3th 2017: Mary joined the ranks of my Epic nightmarefuel attendants.

2017: By this point CorpseMaker's gang has become a powerful force within the city.

2018: The Epic Möbius founds the city of Calamityville, situated in a pocket universe stolen from north California.

2018: Bloody Mary joined up with Nighthound and Lucentia.

Winter 2021: Koschei the Deathless begins his short-lived conquest of The Dalles, Oregon.

2022: Baxter arrived in the Dalles.

Autumn 2022: The Jägers attack on Astoria. Lucentia decided she had enough of travelling hrough the country and settled there, turning a good chunk of the city around the coast into her private "diamond gardens." Nighthound made his leave shortly afterwards, in the incident that also cost Lucentia her right arm.

Winter 2022: The Metal was released from his imprisonment and Deathgale joined Astoria.

2022: Sightline discovers his teleportation powers.

September 2023: A steady influx of High Epics floods Portland. Turf wars begin in earnest. What Happened in Portland begins.

2024: Latest possible point of Oregon's total destruction.

2025: Death of Steelheart at the hands of David Charleston.

This should be about right, I´ll be honest until now I hold a lot of the dates as vague as possible. :P

Tell me if I missed anything, although I probably added more than was necessary. ;)

You want me to set down a timeline, like no wiggle room? Ugh, fine. :P  (I´ll use red just so the changes become apparent.)

2013 A.D.: Calamity appears in the night sky. 2013 was Steelheart's publication date, and thus was selected as the year Calamity first appeared.

2014: Roughly a year later, the first Epics begin to manifest powers. Most early Epics wear masks or otherwise attempt to conceal their identities.

2015: Michael Jäger discovered his Epic powers, bolting from his home town shortly afterwards and taking his sister with him.

September 24th, 2015: Annexation Day. Steelheart seizes control of Chicago, Illinois with the Great Transference. Nightwielder plunges the city into perpetual gloom. Date chosen as the novel's publication date. If anyone knows the actual date in canon, don't hesitate to let me know.

2015: U.S. government passes the Capitulation Act, declaring all Epics exempt from the law. By this point other Epic despots are believed to have seized power.

2015: The Epics SparkCloud and Hardwire wage war in Portland, Oregon, destroying the city's central power grid.

2015-2016: Altermind seizes a portion of Portland, founding the urban center of Thoughttown.

2016: With no evidence of Reckoner existence prior to the Capitulation Act, this is possibly the founding year of the Reckoners.

2017: By this point CorpseMaker's gang has become a powerful force within the city.

2018: The Epic Möbius founds the city of Calamityville, situated in a pocket universe stolen from north California.

Winter 2021: Koschei the Deathless begins his short-lived conquest of The Dalles, Oregon.

Autumn 2022: The Jägers attack on Astoria. Lucentia decided she had enough of travelling hrough the country and settled there, turning a good chunk of the city around the coast into her private "diamond gardens." Nighthound made his leave shortly afterwards, in the incident that also cost Lucentia her right arm.

Winter 2022: The Metal was released from his imprisonment and Deathgale joined Astoria.

September 2023: A steady influx of High Epics floods Portland. Turf wars begin in earnest. What Happened in Portland begins.

This should be about right, I´ll be honest until now I hold a lot of the dates as vague as possible. :P

Tell me if I missed anything, although I probably added more than was necessary. ;)

OK, so Lucentia's only ruled Astoria for about a year. I thought she'd been ruling since 2015.

What really surprises me is that she survived as a vanilla around her brother. How far apart were their Epic awakenings?

Nighthound took his sister with him before she got her powers? I would've thought he'd at least attack her as the corruption set in. 

OK, so Lucentia's only ruled Astoria for about a year. I thought she'd been ruling since 2015.

What really surprises me is that she survived as a vanilla around her brother. How far apart were their Epic awakenings?

True, I think I actually mentioned that before. The political situation in Astoria is kind of weird but very stable, because of Lucentia stricking down hard when she took over. (Truth be told, if they hadn´t been traveling already she probably would rule over their hometown since then.)

Good question :ph34r: A couple of months three at most. In that time she acted as somewhat of a moral leach but after she turned herself... you have seen the result. You might notice that even afterwards he didn´t even put a scratch on her until 7 years later.

Hum... reminds me of somewhere... Maybe the Introductions board?

Just wait for his reaction, when the Empire tries to "recuit" him.

Now we just need for someone to come out of a dark alley and offer Chimera a cookie. :P

I´m sure Voidus got an Epic for that. :P

Edited by Edgedancer

I´m sure Voidus got an Epic for that. :P

I can totally imagine Elizabeth Trattner becoming an Epic with bakery-related powers. She'd call herself The Cookie Cutter and go on a sugar-fueled vendetta against Lightwards and Lucentia, spreading "baked bads" in her wake. :P

Finally! An Epic Funtimes would actually WANT to work with! :P

Lucentia would perish; Lightwards would perish more than any other Epic. Nighthound would flee, CorpseMaker would retreat in terror... and Sam Trattner would stare blankly at the sky before exclaiming "Is that my mom?" :P

Lucentia would perish; Lightwards would perish more than any other Epic. Nighthound would flee, CorpseMaker would retreat in terror... and Sam Trattner would stare blankly at the sky before exclaiming "Is that my mom?" :P

Elizabeth Trattner would go on to star in a semi-autobiographical TV show: Baking Bad. B)

This is an obligatory question but how durable are his force fields and a "dense" body. (I´m not even going to touch the scientific implications of density, from being to heavy to move or less durable than a soft tissuen, not to speak about turning himself into a black hole. Density might be a bad word for this, how about we call it "firmness?")

Suprisingly I don´t have a very good name idea either. I kind of feel like doing something with the words whole or unscathed but I don´t get it to sound right. 

Just to make sure, were these four intended for Astoria?

I based his powers somewhat off of Marvel's hero, Vision. From the wiki page about his powers: "The Vision also possesses the ability to manipulate his density, which at its lowest allows flight and a ghostly, phasing intangibility, and at its heaviest provides superhuman strength, immovability, and a diamond-hard near invulnerability. The Vision is capable of reaching a density ten times greater than that of depleted uranium." That's kinda what I was aiming for. Firmness sounds right to me.

I think I'll use War Smasher. He's a violent guy who enjoys fighting just for the fun of it.

I'm not sure. That was an option, unless we want these guys to hasten Portland's ruin. I created them for the fun of it and am now trying to decide what to do.

Which is why we don´t do it. It´s magic, willing suspence of disbelief and all that stuff. ;)

Wouldn´t higher density either mean more mass, meaning stronger pull, or smaler size, which sounds like it would be worth it´s own mention?

Probably. The suspense of disbelief stuff is what I'm doing with this guy. :P

Remington Springfield is the most awesomely badchull man in Portland. :D

I realize there are already a lot of discussions going on here, but I wanted feedback and cooperation on something. I've gotten confused about the dates involved in the RP's history, so I've put together a loose timeline of Reckonersverse history + Oregon events. This is to help myself and others maintain continuity when talking about dates.

That's all I could gather at the moment. Naturally a lot of the precise years center around my characters, as they're the only ones I can state with some degree of certainty. I'd love it if other people could fill in the blanks with their characters--I'm especially interested in when Lucentia took control over Astoria and when Phoenix and Saccharine's lab disaster occurred.

Yes, he is. I'll get a response to that sometime soon.

As close as I can figure:

2015: Frank Ponte gains electric and flying powers and begins working with Altermind.

2016: Black Jaguar and Hawkwing gain powers.

2017: Scorch gains powers and works for Altermind.

2017: Metalmech is recruited by the Destructors(?)

2016: Cipher gains powers.

2020: War Smasher joins the Destructors.

2021: Edgerunner gains powers

2022: Cipher goes to the Dalles.

Those are the only approximate dates I have.

Mailliw, what animals are the two chi brought with him?

Argo is a bear with poisonous teeth and Kyrie is a wolf with hawk wings. The guards nearby have gorilla strength or armadillo skin.

Splitting this into two posts because of the amount of info in each.

This is Cipher's bio, Kobold:

Epic Name: Cipher

Human Name: Cindy Griffin

Weakness: <PM'd to the GM>

Primary Power: Able to memorize languages and translate them in a small amount of time. Can do the same with codes.

Passive Power: Perfect memory.

Appearance: Her brown hair is beginning to gray. She's short and heavier, but still holding on to vestiges of her beauty.

Home City: Boston, MA

Weaponry: None.

Cindy had been a linguistics professor at a university for some time when Calamity hit. She was studying an ancient text when she realized that she could understand what it said perfectly. She noticed patterns in her subconscious and quickly translated the entire language. She had no other powers, so moved from town to town, working for any high Epics. Just last year, she decided to settle in the Dalles and work for Vondra.

And here's War Smasher's:

Epic Name: War Smasher

Human Name: Sam Waller

Primary Power: Force fields. Able to create force fields with up to a twenty foot radius. He can create them with himself as the center or he can create it somewhere else, but only a maximum of fifteen meters away. The force fields block all materials from entering or exiting. The force fields have a slight blueish tint.

Secondary Power: He is able to control his own density as well as objects he is touching. He can increase his/objects' density, making them impervious. Or he can decrease density, allowing him to be intangible, semi-transparent, and he can float around. He often lowers a part of his body's density, eg his hand, and reaches inside someone and then increases the density of his hand, causing extreme pain or death.

Appearance: He is tall and broad with dirty blond hair. He's muscular and works out so that he can have maximum strength when he hits something. He wears jeans with tight t shirts. He, to have a distinctive mark, wears a dark blue gloves that Metalmech reinforced with metal.

Home City: Cheyenne, WY

Weaponry: A rifle, but he doesn't use weapons often.

He was a football assistant coach at a high school. He had been a star linebacker and had also boxed. He loves fighting for the thrill of it and usually fights without weapons.

What do you think of the name The Destructors for the quartet of Epics? I'm still open on this one.

As close as I can figure:

2015: Frank Ponte gains electric and flying powers and begins working with Altermind.

2016: Black Jaguar and Hawkwing gain powers.

2017: Scorch gains powers and works for Altermind.

2017: Metalmech is recruited by the Destructors(?)

2016: Cipher gains powers.

2020: War Smasher joins the Destructors.

2021: Edgerunner gains powers

2022: Cipher goes to the Dalles.

Those are the only approximate dates I have.

Awesome. Once I have more dates to work with, I'll compile them all into a single timeline. What would you guys think of putting the timeline somewhere easily accessible, like the Epics of Oregon thread? That way people could refer back to it easily while writing.

Splitting this into two posts because of the amount of info in each.

This is Cipher's bio, Kobold:

Epic Name: Cipher

Human Name: Cindy Griffin

Primary Power: Able to memorize languages and translate them in a small amount of time. Can do the same with codes.

Passive Power: Perfect memory.

Appearance: Her brown hair is beginning to gray. She's short and heavier, but still holding on to vestiges of her beauty.

Home City: Boston, MA

Weaponry: None.

Cindy had been a linguistics professor at a university for some time when Calamity hit. She was studying an ancient text when she realized that she could understand what it said perfectly. She noticed patterns in her subconscious and quickly translated the entire language. She had no other powers, so moved from town to town, working for any high Epics. Just last year, she decided to settle in the Dalles and work for Vondra.

And here's War Smasher's:

Epic Name: War Smasher

Human Name: Sam Waller

Primary Power: Force fields. Able to create force fields with up to a twenty foot radius. He can create them with himself as the center or he can create it somewhere else, but only a maximum of fifteen meters away. The force fields block all materials from entering or exiting. The force fields have a slight blueish tint.

Secondary Power: He is able to control his own density as well as objects he is touching. He can increase his/objects' density, making them impervious. Or he can decrease density, allowing him to be intangible, semi-transparent, and he can float around. He often lowers a part of his body's density, eg his hand, and reaches inside someone and then increases the density of his hand, causing extreme pain or death.

Appearance: He is tall and broad with dirty blond hair. He's muscular and works out so that he can have maximum strength when he hits something. He wears jeans with tight t shirts. He, to have a distinctive mark, wears a dark blue gloves that Metalmech reinforced with metal.

Home City: Cheyenne, WY

Weaponry: A rifle, but he doesn't use weapons often.

He was a football assistant coach at a high school. He had been a star linebacker and had also boxed. He loves fighting for the thrill of it and usually fights without weapons.

What do you think of the name The Destructors for the quartet of Epics? I'm still open on this one.

I like both of them! :D The name "Destructors" is also pretty badchull.

Awesome. Once I have more dates to work with, I'll compile them all into a single timeline. What would you guys think of putting the timeline somewhere easily accessible, like the Epics of Oregon thread? That way people could refer back to it easily while writing.

I like both of them! :D The name "Destructors" is also pretty badchull.

I'll try to come up with dates for my other Epics as well. I think that's a great idea!

What time is "now" in the Dalles?

It's early fall we decided, and Kobold put September on the timeline, so Septemberish. We don't have an exact day or time of day for the Dalles yet.

I'll try to come up with dates for my other Epics as well. I think that's a great idea!

It's early fall we decided, and Kobold put September on the timeline, so Septemberish. We don't have an exact day or time of day for the Dalles yet.

Cool. We'll just have to see what TwiLyght and Voidus think of it.

September is about as "early fall" as it gets, so it seemed a fairly rational month to start in. I may have also been subtly referencing "What Happened in September." :P