Long Game 8: Elendel Gang War

bartbug

Sorry, Twei. When I said Oracle I meant Sentry. (Feruchemical bronze) Yeah, everyone will have to claim powers to the Lurcher, (still assuming we have one) for the plan to work.

We could also verify the Lurcher (if we have one) with Seeking, but we don't know if we have a Seeker, and we do appear to have a Soother.

For this plan to work, The Set is going to have to avoid making Spikes. While they are useful, if the Kandra gets their hands on one it will be much harder to find them with the plan I laid out.

Sorry for the confusion. For some reason, highlighting doesn't work right on IE with Windows 8. I'll try using another browser to vote, or I can put my votes at the top in red, so people can see them. Anyways, Aonar's plan makes sense. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if we actually have a Lurcher in the game. If there is one, great. If there isn't one, we know that I'm safe for the night. However, I hesitate to take up a leadership role, mostly because my body would be easily stolen.

Joe, taking a body requires the kandra killing the target, which they can't do if the target is protected with a Lurch. They might succeed if the target is instead killed by Feruchemical pewter (which can hit through protection with multiple charges), though this is just speculation on my part.

Posting quickly because another (potentially major) problem with Aonar's plan just occurred to me. Are Set kandra allowed to make spikes? If so, then they'll just spike our trusted person, then kill them. They would need to be protected by someone else whose power wasn't known.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Now I've heard that, I think it's (past) time I put my cards on the table.

My vote was never added to the tally, even after I commented on it. I think it's therefore fair to say I was either Soothed or I was filling Feruchemical pewter or Feruchemical gold, removing my vote. Now, this is extraordinarily convenient for Aonar's plan, because I also happen to be a Lurcher.

I was debating whether to keep quiet and protect Satrams on alternate nights, or announce myself like this. In the end, I decided to go public because of a comment in one of my PMs - namely, that some players (Riots in particular) might not want to share their power with a member of the Set. (This is basically acknowledging that faction tensions do exist, and has nothing to do with Satrams himself.) Being a Politician and thus only interested in stopping the kandra, hopefully they would be more willing to share that information with me.

If there's any doubts, then our (hypothetical) Seeker and Soother can target me over the next night and day.

...What does everyone think?

Well, that puts flight to that idea. I'll make an isolated vote next cycle, in the hope that there's a Soother who will be able to confirm me publicly, though since there haven't been any other Soothings, it looks like there might not be.

Otherwise, any available Seekers or Feruchemical tin can scan me this cycle, and send the results to Satrams?

Long Game 8 Day 3: Game, Set, Spike

Araris strode onto the rooftop, gazing at the starry skies. Legend had said that back in the World of Ash, that these thousand gems had been invisible to the average human. Tragic.

He heard someone step out onto the rooftop behind him and he stiffened, filling his metalmind and making himself much lighter than normal. Checking the distance in front of him, he deemed it sufficient. If he had to, he could float his way off.

“I know you’re there,” he said, voice as sharp as his ironmind. He started to turn to face the newcomer. A gunshot roared through the night, sharp in the absence of Elendel’s normal population. Birdshot sprayed him across the back, not fatal but enough to incapacitate him.

Pain bloomed through his body. Araris hit the ground. He took a moment to fill his ironmind with nearly everything he had, then he agonizingly began to pull himself up.

The newcomer forced him back down with ease, Araris’s skill working both for and against him. “I’m sorry,” they said. “The Set needs this.”

Araris screamed, understanding. “The Set! They just want us for their damned spikes!”

A length of metal pounded through his heart and Araris died.

What’s happening, he thought, panicking. What?

I’m sorry, a voice said, and though Araris was not Pathian, he knew at once whom it was. Harmony. But you’re disrupting the balance, and balance will always restore itself. Even I barely need to give you the nudge with my servants. You are doing it all by yourself. I’m sorry.

….

A scream pierced the air. Tulir turned at once from his drink with Alim. The man seemed stiff, not very responsive to even that hellish noise. Was that Araris? What was he screaming about the Set?

“Come on,” he said, standing and running up the stairs. We have to see what happened.”

At the rooftop, a small army of the Set soldiers stood over the corpse of Araris. “We’re sorry this had to happen,” Satrams said. He was among the soldiers, evidently, organizing them into action. “Araris tried to bolt, filling his ironmind and then trying to float off. My soldiers shot him down.”

Ridiculous, Tulir thought. Why would Araris do that? He was talking about being honorable to Satrams himself! He would not run.

Tulir tried to push himself forward, leading the rest of the tavern’s new residents. They had followed him, it seemed, and they were all eager to see exactly what had happened. The soldiers pushed Tulir back. “I’m sorry, but this is no longer your business.”

A glimpse of blood shone, nearly a yard away from where they were crowded. Resisting their command, Tulir pushed into the center, horrified and gawking at the mess of a body that had been Araris. “This man was not shot to death,” he said. “Bullets don’t do that.”

The Set forced him back. “Shotgun spray?” A soldier suggested.

“No,” Tulir said. “I think that the Set is going to far.” Realization dawned on him. “That’s what Araris said! You spiked him! You just want us for spikes!” Tulir looked back on the rest of them, the nonSets appearing equally enraged. “They just want us for spikes!”

Aonar was at the back of the crowd, knowing that no matter when he got there, whatever had happened would still be there. His analytical mind told him one thing that evidently the rest of them had forgotten: there was no rush.

A dark mass from behind slammed him into the wall with inhuman strength, bordering on greater than a Thugs. Darkness closed on him. No! Terror shot through Aonar. Not now!

“Don’t know why we use hammers,” the kandra said. “Considering that these are about the only things that can hurt us.”

The kandra smashed in Aonar’s head with a quick, superhumanly powerful strike. I’m sorry, said Harmony. But you’re disrupting the balance...

Results:

Araris is dead, his feruchemical iron spiked out of him!

Aonar is dead, killed (but not taken) by the kandra!

A tineye left the message: We must follow Aonar’s plan and root out the Kandra!

Player List:

Corrupt Politician:

Popeye (navybrandt)

Corrupt Politician-Spike

Araris

Corrupt Politician:

Quitania (Quitecontrary)

Corrupt Politician:

Terra (Pupper)

Corrupt Politician:

Alron (Alvron)

Corrupt Politician:

Jain (Lightsworn Panda)

Corrupt Politician:

Tulir (Tulir)

Corrupt Politician:

Taliz Duede (twelthrootoftwo)

Koloss Riot:

Kamden (dants)

Koloss Riot:

Morgan Hanks (the Gleeman)

Koloss Riot:

10. Koll (killersquirrel59)

Koloss Riot:

14. Bunnt (Binnut)

The Set:

Jedal (The Only Joe)

The Set:

Alim (Malliw73)

The Set:

Peng (jasonpenguin)

The Set:

Satrams (a smart guy)

The Set:

Willa (little wilson)

Ready… vote!

Edited by bartbug

Araris, I want to apologize. We in The Set were under the impression that spiking simply role-blocked rather than killed and we didn't want that power with someone set on the faction war since finding the kandra is more important. If we'd known spikes killed, we wouldn't have done it, since live players on Team Good are even more important to finding Team Evil. I'm sorry.

I haven't given Araris the spec doc yet, and I must have misspoken on that quote I gave you. I meant that spikes didn't kill when they failed, but that's not what I said. So, Araris is alive! Well... sort of.

He's in Willa's body now, but he still gets his vote. And, he can still be killed (not sure how the coinshot could do it, but they kandra can simply call on Harmony). But for the game's purposes, he's alive. (And yes, he can still be bodysnatched.)

For the duration of this game, spiking will not kill. I'm sorry for the confusion (and incorrect info) I gave the Set, and it was completely my fault.

Edited by bartbug

Well, bugger. I was also confused about whether spikes killed, but now I can't RP and get metal skin :( Just for clarification, I wasn't trying to instigate a faction war. I was just worried that the Kandra could hide behind spiked powers and thus thought that the Set should be slightly higher priority in votes where we had no other relevant information. I guess, however, that spiking is a good way to confirm that people are safe. My personal opinion about the ironmind was that it mostly would be useful in the endgame to stop Kandra from having quite as much control over the lynch vote, so I don't really mind too much that it's gone, only that I had 2 charges stored up already that are lost. (Hmm, can someone tap aluminum to access my feruchemical charges? because if so, they are there waiting to be used wherever my body is laying)