Long Game 8: Elendel Gang War

bartbug

I just had a thought: When the Set spikes somebody then we should learn 2 people that are not Kandra. Now, I don't think we all should know that Willa has my spike, although there is undoubtedly a kandra within the Set so that is probably better that we all know anyway. If each member of the Set in turn spikes one of us, assuming that some people are willing to lose their powers, then we can root out some Kandra by verifying each night that the Set members with spikes haven't been body-swapped through soothes and so forth.

Glad to know you're not dead. For a minutes I worried the Coinshot had killed you too. I'm glad you're back with us Araris. I like the plan of rotating spikes. It's just that we don't have good enough ideas of people's powers to do so and I don't think you guys would be willing to tell us all the metals you have just so we can spike it from you.

I'm a little confused!

Was it Willa that took the spike from Arais? I have only seen it specified that Willa has it (him?) in her body.

Because that Willa is spiked with the spike gives us nothing, but if Willa did the spiking, then that gives us one verified player.

But aside from that, we should probably still go ahead with the Lurcher plan on Twelfth, since Willa still could get snatched, and since Twelfth has come forward as a Lurcher, Lurching Willa would not be a long term plan.. Unless we have another lurcher who anonymously can lurch Willa.

I must admit that I am not very fond of Spikes, of natural reasons, since it centralizes all power to one faction, and removes from the others, but I do understand the value of the move, so I am hesitant.

Do not take this like that I am anti-Set, I am just a little wary of changes the balance between the factions.

Spiking can be used to clear two players, but unless the role in question is a protective role, they won't remain clear for any longer than our other methods. Beyond that, we'll antagonise the Rioters (two of which have already expressed their distrust of the idea). In this game, an alliance between a faction and the eliminators is entirely possible, since the kandra can comfortably make their escape once the Rioters are satisfied with the balance of power and ready to lynch them instead.

Further, if we coordinate spikings like that, it means there will be a lot of spikes produced. It will be all to easy for the kandra to come in and collect those spikes (again, with the exception of protective abilities), then slip out with their new powers when the Set realise they can't make spikes themselves.

In summary, I really don't think clearing people with spikes is a good idea.

---

The next topic is voting, which we all seem to have forgotten about. On the off chance there is actually a Soother or another Rioter in the game, I'll move my vote to someone with no votes on them at the end of the cycle (probably myself, if no-one votes for me).

Tulir, you've been checking the politicians PM regularly, and I saw you reading the thread after the day began. You've only posted once each in the PM and in the thread, though, through the entire game. What do you make of the events of last night?

The set was going to give Araris's Spike to Aonar Last night. We didn't plan on keeping any of the spikes. Though bart has warned us that there is a secret invovled with giving someone a Spike.

As for votes, I'm going to vote for Peng. We have a possibility to clear everyone in the Set, but we can't clear Peng unless he posts.

Well, I'm confused. So, Araris is a spike now?  His body is gone, but he's a talking spike?  If Araris is killed now, does the spike go away, or does he just lose the ability to talk/vote anymore?  Also, can the spike be passed around from person to person?  If so, does Ararus know who's in possession of him?

Alron sat at his table finishing off his seventh glass of wine.  In front of him lay the scattered remains of his abandoned speech.  Feeling the need to do something he stood on unsteady legs and wobbled his way to the bar.  Climbing atop the bar after his third attempt, Alron turned towards the others.

"People, hear me.  There is, there is a lot of talk happening but no action. 'hic'  And I say the time for action is passed.  Err, I mean talk.  Here is what I propo porpo ... think,  we need to find the thingies, the Can-dra and do something to them.  I say we kill that fellow there, whats his name... Peng.  Then we get that other guy to spike this fellow over here while the sssoother sssoothesss the last fella.  Then, then we will know who is that Can fellow."

Alron had no idea if anyone was listening but he didn't care.  With a lopsided smile on his face, Alron fell backwards off the bar and onto the floor.  Soon after loud snoring could be heard.

In case anyone wants to know my idea.  Its simple. We know that (for the moment) Willa and Satrams are clean.  That leaves Peng, Alim and Jedal among the Set.  We lynch Peng.  He hasn't been posting so nothing to really lose there except a hiding spot for the Kandra.  We have the soother (if there is one) sooth one of the other Set members and the final one has to spike Jain for his bendalloy.  Should there be no soothing then the spiking will reveal which of the two remaining are Kandra.  Hopefully.

What does everyone think.  Any holes?

So the idea of verifying Twelfth is out of the window now suddenly? I agree up to that point, lets do as you suggested apart from having the eventual Soother sooth Twelfth, then we get the ability to check for what powers people have. That would allow us to verify others as well apart from the Set.

I would also point out that it is dangerous to assume that there are 3 Kandra distributed one in each faction, especially after last game, when it got too predictable.

Edit: I also want to point out that the one to be soothed can escape by snatching a body, so the soothing won't do that much good.

Edited by Binnut

I agree that there are a couple of problems with it.  But my plan is to flush out a Kandra that may be hiding in the Set group.  They will almost have to body snatch if they want to live which would expose who they were and will give us something to analyze.  Once we know who they were we can go over what they said, who the voted for to hopefully find others.

If everyone thinks its not going to work then I have no problem dropping the idea.  I came up with it on the fly after reading Joes post about Jains bendalloy and didn't give it too much thought.  Others are better than me at planning but I at least wanted to see what others think of it rather than just sit around doing nothing.  And Twelfths plan also relies on a soother that we might not even have.

Edited by Alvron

Well, just for the sake of bringing it up, Peng was almost killed last cycle, so if I was a Kandra with his body then I would have left. Since Peng is still around, perhaps he is not a Kandra. That is just a side thought on my part, however, since Peng has been 100% inactive and really is not worth anything to the villagers right now.

For what it's worth, I was contacted by someone claiming to be a Seeker. They correctly identified Aonar as a vanilla player on their night 1 scan, so I'm inclined to believe them. If you wanted a backup for the Soother, we could suggest they Seek the other Set member and then send the results to someone they trust.

If we go ahead with this plan, can I put my hand up to be spiked? Not this night cycle, as since you aren't sure I'm actually a Lurcher then it's not a valid way to test the Set spiker. But as it stands, my power isn't much use to us. Either I protect myself, which (since I'm not trusted) gives us next to nothing, or I protect someone else, in which case the kandra already know who's doing the protecting and they just come after me. This way, we can be sure the Lurching power is in the hands of someone trusted, and we can go from there.

Spiking Twei or Jain works in my opinion. We don't have to spike everyone, if you don't want to reveal your powers, which I understand. But we can't just give the spikes to you guys unless you want weird things to happen. Bartbug has said to be wary and careful if we spike someone outside the set.

While it's good that we're making plans for the night cycle, we need to remember to vote. No one has come up with a reason not to vote for Peng, which makes me very suspicious. The kandra would probably defend their own/ make a post to the thread about it. I'll wait until I hear more discussion on votes to place mine, but we have to be smart about this. I have a bad feeling that the kandra are going to start impersonating people soon, especially since we've gotten so many trusted people.

One thing I was confused about/want clarification on, can the kandra communicate amongst themselves?  Would each kandra have access to two docs, one with the kandra in it and one where they communicate with the person they are impersonating?

Edited by Tulir