Long Game 98: A Tale of Mists and Metals

Araris Valerian

9 minutes ago, Violet said:

I'll sign up as Violet, who has never done this before and is fairly confused.

Great! You've got plenty of time before the game starts, but I'd suggest you think of some occupation for your character. It should make interacting with the other players easier. If you would like suggestions or information about the setting, let me know.

Writing and reading RP is hard for me. So I think the compromise I'm going to make for myself is I'll be posting an average of three posts per Day, with each one coming after I consolidate enough thoughts to feed an RP beat. If I try much more, I think I'm going to lose my thread and ability to engage the way this game wants me to. 

I'm in as Wendawa the Soothsayer, who hasn't noticed there's toilet paper stuck the bottom of his foot.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Writing and reading RP is hard for me. So I think the compromise I'm going to make for myself is I'll be posting an average of three posts per Day, with each one coming after I consolidate enough thoughts to feed an RP beat. If I try much more, I think I'm going to lose my thread and ability to engage the way this game wants me to. 

I'm in as Wendawa the Soothsayer, who hasn't noticed there's toilet paper stuck the bottom of his foot.

Honestly this is why I committed to the Kaharis RP instead. Not saying this helps you on the making RP side, but while Kaharis (betting no one gets the ref :P ) doesn't have the sort of rich RP backstory I'd want, writing in that sort of style is going to be substantively easier for people to understand and engage with. Just occasionally call Evil people irredeemable and seek to burn the sick and twisted in heaven's purifying flame and I'm good. image.png.d5ddfa77c530546b31ffe32e5fcdb49e.png

I can't help on the RP side, but I really want an RP-only game to succeed, and worries from multiple players about RP being too impenetrable or annoying to read - well, this is the best I can do.

Edited by Kasimir

Jorrick brushed the last of the wood shavings off of the chair leg they were working on. It was exactly the right height to balance out the rest of the chair, though the rest of its legs would probably go the way of the new leg's predecessor soon. It was an old chair but a good chair, and with the new leg, it would hopefully be better at not collapsing when someone sat down heavily in a moment of emotional turmoil. Incidents like that one made them glad they lived alone. Maybe the new leg would even be strong enough to not crack when thrown at the wall, though Jorrick doubted it. Wood was durable, but it certainly wasn't immortal, and this new leg would likely fare no better than its predecessor when faced with a solid object at great speed. Truly dreadful things were happening in this town. On the plus side, their carpentry business was picking up a little. So many people wanted stronger doors. 

14 minutes ago, JNV said:

Jorrick brushed the last of the wood shavings off of the chair leg they were working on. It was exactly the right height to balance out the rest of the chair, though the rest of its legs would probably go the way of the new leg's predecessor soon. It was an old chair but a good chair, and with the new leg, it would hopefully be better at not collapsing when someone sat down heavily in a moment of emotional turmoil. Incidents like that one made them glad they lived alone. Maybe the new leg would even be strong enough to not crack when thrown at the wall, though Jorrick doubted it. Wood was durable, but it certainly wasn't immortal, and this new leg would likely fare no better than its predecessor when faced with a solid object at great speed. Truly dreadful things were happening in this town. On the plus side, their carpentry business was picking up a little. So many people wanted stronger doors. 

Yes! Arwhin can now have an artisan rocking chair :).

Revir stood at his door, idly stealing random objects. does make things convienient he thinks as he takes a coinshots bullets from under the mans nose. "nothing ever happens here, but the mists... they are strong. very strong. something big is gonna happen at some point. i can feel it"

43 minutes ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

Revir stood at his door, idly stealing random objects. does make things convienient he thinks as he takes a coinshots bullets from under the mans nose. "nothing ever happens here, but the mists... they are strong. very strong. something big is gonna happen at some point. i can feel it"

Glad to have you! Make sure to check out the subforum rules as well.

As a minor rules clarification, the elim kill can be submitted at the same time as another action.

Also, while I'm leaving the win conditions as they are, I will call the game if it becomes impossible for the village to win (notably, this means most parity situations will result in an elim win due to tie votes not resulting in an exe)

Arwhin stood among the townsfolk, or at least those folk that had the respect of their fellows and whose opinions truly mattered. There had been another death in the night, proof that Wendarr had companions that still lived. As mayor, it was up to him to make sure something was done about it. Clearing his throat, Arwhin addressed the gathered crowd,

"Men and women of Copper's Bend. Some darkness has overtaken our town, seeking to further the destruction already wrought by the Deepness. I call upon you to root out this evil by whatever means necessary. Come this evening, I expect you to have determined who is most likely to be Wendarr's accomplice. I will carry out the deed from there."

Arwhin gave everyone a few moments to digest his words. Contrary to his expectations, most everyone seemed eager to start tearing the town apart for these Spiked. Dasenk quickly turned and began excitedly explaining his conspiracy theories to his neighbors, while Wendawa took the opportunity to pronounce further doom on anyone that was listening. Arwhin sighed, realizing he should have expected no less from them.

Seeing that discussion was well underway, Arwhin departed the square. On the way back to his office, he deposited a few notes in a box that has sprung up overnight. Apparently a Tineye was willing to deliver private messages for folks. Could be useful, since the remaining Spiked could have eyes and ears anywhere.

Kash was a Vanilla Villager. Day 1 has begun, and will end at 6PM EST on Tuesday the 21st.

PMs are Open (but must be RP of some form). Make sure to include both myself and Devo in all PMs you create.

Our IM is @Devotary of Spontaneity, so let her know if you have any concerns about the game.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @Ravenclawjedi42 as Dasenk, a suspicious historian
  2. @Sart as Sirta, a boisterous gentleman with a hankering for drink
  3. @Aeoryi as Scarlet Octopus, an oddly named construction worker fond of rules
  4. @Kasimir as Karis, a soldier with a holy mission
  5. @Violet as Violet, a confused person seeking purpose
  6. @Archer as Wendawa the Soothsayer, who is somewhat oblivious
  7. @JNV as Jorrick, a methodical carpenter
  8. @TheRavenHasLanded as Revir, a compulsive thief

Edited by Araris Valerian

You couldn’t trust your emotions in a crowd. They always lead people to extremes.

“We’re all going to die!” Wendawa flapped his arms, trying to fly away from the suffocating crush of humanity. “Some as soon as tonight!”

It was best not to let emotions dictate your decisions, then. He would make his vote rationally. Based on vibes.

“Violence has descended upon us. Violence sounds like Violet, Violet likes sounds of violence.”

45 minutes ago, Archer said:

You couldn’t trust your emotions in a crowd. They always lead people to extremes.

“We’re all going to die!” Wendawa flapped his arms, trying to fly away from the suffocating crush of humanity. “Some as soon as tonight!”

It was best not to let emotions dictate your decisions, then. He would make his vote rationally. Based on vibes.

“Violence has descended upon us. Violence sounds like Violet, Violet likes sounds of violence.”

"Hi. Why are you accusing me so quickly? Violent and Violet are very different, just so you know. Has The Deepness gotten into your mind so quickly? Wendawa?"

"MEAT PIES!" cried Karis. He'd set up the sign in front of his pie cart, figuring that the more the villagers of Copper's Bend argued, the more they might work up an appetite. Anyway, everyone was hungry these days, weren't they? "Get your delectable meat pies here, delicious friends!"

"Meat, is it?" Visyes asked. Karis saw that gleam, and knew he'd hooked another one.

"Why, of course!" Karis cried out. "Once tasted, never forgotten! The best meat pies you'll ever eat, and at these prices, I might as well cut me own throat!"

"Meat pies! Meat pies swimming in pea soup to the point of mushiness! Only the best peas, half-starved but mostly alive, even in these dark days of the Deepness! Why, you might ask, how does an enterprising businessman manage this? Meat pie floaters! Get yours today! Dream of the times before the harvests started to fail, and don't ask too many questions about what's really inside!"

"How much is one?"

"Just THREE clips!" Karis announced. "Where else can you get genuine, juicy meat pies, at at least guaranteed 1% meat, in these starving times? And remember, it's simply the best peas, locally-sourced from the region!"

He could see Visyes decide, slowly. Wheels turning in the blacksmith's head. Finally, Visyes handed the coins over.

Karis ladeled out a large heaping spoonful of a knobby green substance, as thick as glue. Peas probably did not look this particular shade of grey-green. Then, unceremoniously, he dumped the meat pie in, face-down. It sank, and then bobbed about limply for a while, before relenquishing all hope and drowning. "Enjoy your delectable meat pie, friend!" Karis declared. "And remember, at these prices—"

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c1f8200d10f305d102b0b8c41a3da423.png

"This had better not make me sick again," Visyes grumbled. "Or I'm telling Arwhin about you."

"Jaidhi herself would not find a single thing displeasing about these meat pies!" Karis protested. He glanced about at the gathered crowd, but noticed some of Copper's Bend hadn't yet seemed to rise with the dawn. Strange, that. Perhaps Sirta was pursuing unaccountable nocturnal activities like bloody murder?

3 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

"MEAT PIES!" cried Karis. He'd set up the sign in front of his pie cart, figuring that the more the villagers of Copper's Bend argued, the more they might work up an appetite. Anyway, everyone was hungry these days, weren't they? "Get your delectable meat pies here, delicious friends!"

"Meat, is it?" Visyes asked. Karis saw that gleam, and knew he'd hooked another one.

"Why, of course!" Karis cried out. "Once tasted, never forgotten! The best meat pies you'll ever eat, and at these prices, I might as well cut me own throat!"

"Meat pies! Meat pies swimming in pea soup to the point of mushiness! Only the best peas, half-starved but mostly alive, even in these dark days of the Deepness! Why, you might ask, how does an enterprising businessman manage this? Meat pie floaters! Get yours today! Dream of the times before the harvests started to fail, and don't ask too many questions about what's really inside!"

"How much is one?"

"Just THREE clips!" Karis announced. "Where else can you get genuine, juicy meat pies, at at least guaranteed 1% meat, in these starving times? And remember, it's simply the best peas, locally-sourced from the region!"

He could see Visyes decide, slowly. Wheels turning in the blacksmith's head. Finally, Visyes handed the coins over.

Karis ladeled out a large heaping spoonful of a knobby green substance, as thick as glue. Peas probably did not look this particular shade of grey-green. Then, unceremoniously, he dumped the meat pie in, face-down. It sank, and then bobbed about limply for a while, before relenquishing all hope and drowning. "Enjoy your delectable meat pie, friend!" Karis declared. "And remember, at these prices—"

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.c1f8200d10f305d102b0b8c41a3da423.png

"This had better not make me sick again," Visyes grumbled. "Or I'm telling Arwhin about you."

"Jaidhi herself would not find a single thing displeasing about these meat pies!" Karis protested. He glanced about at the gathered crowd, but noticed some of Copper's Bend hadn't yet seemed to rise with the dawn. Strange, that. Perhaps Sirta was pursuing unaccountable nocturnal activities like bloody murder?

"Meat pies? In what world does a man sell Meat PIES while the world is under attack?" Scarlet Octopus exclaimed, "Karis seems way to at ease with all this! We are under siege by the deepness!"

Just now, Aeoryi said:

"Meat pies? In what world does a man sell Meat PIES while the world is under attack?" Scarlet Octopus exclaimed, "Karis seems way to at ease with all this! We are under siege by the deepness!"

"And you, sir, are hostile to an honest businessman seeking to make his way in the world!" Karis shot back.

"MEAT PIES! ONLY THE BEST, MOST DELECTABLE MEAT PIES, DELICIOUS FRIENDS! PAY NO HEED TO THOSE WHO SLANDER THE JUICIEST, FLAKIEST MEAT PIES DROWNED IN A GENEROUS DOLLOP OF PEA SOUP! YOUR TICKET TO THE DAYS BEFORE THE DEEPNESS! MEAT PIES! GET YOURS TODAY, AND AT THESE PRICES? I'M CUTTING ME OWN THROAT!"

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Wendawa, please, stop your flapping! We are men, not birds! We cannot simply fly away from this trouble. We must act swiftly and decisively, if we are to have a chance at overcoming these Spiked.

Now then, I believe everyone but Jorrick @JNV has arrived here. I believe he was working on the construction site, which means Scarlet Octopus, @Aeoryi should have been the last to see them. What do you have to say for yourself?