Great Houses - Interest, Sign-ups, and Planning

The Bookwyrm

Alrighty.

This is the new RP idea that we're going to try to get off the ground.

This is the basic premise; each player, instead of controlling one (or more) character(s), will be in control of an entire Great House, a political and military body that has control over at least one entire planet in the universe, if not more than one.

This would be a nuanced sci-fi RP experience, where each player would be narrating individual characters interacting and scheming, but at the same time, be controlling vast armies capable of capturing - or destroying - worlds.

There are definitely some details that need working out. We have no worldbuilding at all, and I want a fully developed universe for our Great Houses to interact in. We'd have to come up with a system for how such a feudal system came to be, details of House cultures and histories, and a system of in-world rules that restrict the Houses from all out war (at least in most cases).

It's probably going to be difficult to get working, but we're going to start planning here.

Let me know in the thread if you'd like to participate; we'll include you in the planning process, so that you have a say in the world you'll be RPing in.

@Channelknight Fadran, do you think you could make a worldbuilding doc for us to brainstorm ideas and flesh out the ones that work? You're probably in a better position to do that than me. Technologically speaking.

Tagging others who've shown interest: @Thaidakar the Ghostblood, @dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnex, @Veledsier, @SmilingPanda19, @TheAlpha929

Let's see if we can get this to work.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

kay I'm double-posting but something just occurred to me:

What timescale would we be doing this RP in? If we don't figure this out then it'll inevitably turn to either regular person-by-person RP on the scale of minutes or a FGaRS on the scale of decades, neither of which we really want to deal with here. Presumably we'd be doing things in distinct chunks of time (say a few weeks or a month or something), with someone (Bookwyrm) in charge of wrapping things up and moving to the next time frame once we've exhausted our ideas. Plans we put into action would be "announced" by us at the start(ish) of most "sessions," probably, and then the "sessions" themselves would be people putting together plans and such of their own to react to the new status quo.

To avoid turning this into a FGaRS or SE knockoff, I think we need a few guidelines that we just Honor System:TM:

Okay, I have put up a poll to try to get some basic worldbuilding ideas worked out.

I probably should have clarified that we needed to get these basics done before we went all out on ideas, but...oh well.

EDIT: Also, people, if you want to join the RP, go help us make it real! Post ideas in the doc, or in this thread!

EDIT 2: Removing the 3rd question for confusion. I will clarify once we have solid answers to questions 1 and 2.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

For those of y'all not in the know (or who just don't know how to navigate the doc - I get it), here are the four major Proposals we have rn:

• In the 1300s a bunch of aliens came to Earth and gave us spaceships and tech and stuff. Give it a few centuries and whaddya know - we blew ourselves up. Now the survivors have fled on the spacehips that we were gifted, of whom many also died - save the ones that managed to figure out how to work their ships and start taking over planets and stuff. Nowadays every kingdom/house/etc. is heavily based on these battleships, which are as valuable as entire worlds and armie, and are therefore important to steal.
  • In the distant future, it's SPACE TIME. FTL exists, but it's very costly to use (y'know - like in Dune), and we all technically have the power to just rip each others' planets into pieces (all you need is to redirect a large-ish asteroid), but the mutually-understood drive for wealth and power has brought the many worlds into an unspoken truth that no, actually, we won't just needlessly ruin planets and squander those resources. Houses are constantly vying for power and such, but have to tiptoe around the issues that might cause global destruction.
  • The RP takes place in a small section of the galaxy, policed by a big-ol' super mega empire that keeps all our Houses in line. So far that's pretty much all there is to this one.
  • Stark Trek, but it's Star Wars. The local area has a bunch of different alien races that have all sorts of beef with each other, so a lot of the wars and such would be justified by interracial conflict. Also there's a fancy magic giga star that showed up outta nowhere and we all want it.