Frugal Wizard Full Book Reactions

Chaos

A great read, if a little different than what I'd thought going in. Can't say it's my favourite book Brandon's ever written, especially after Tress, but I found it a lot of fun! Some great characters and interactions, and though I felt the pacing was a little rushed at times, it wasn't a terrible drawback. The worldbuilding and technology was really well done, and I liked the way the medieval characters responded to it all. 

One thing that I really enjoyed was the slow reveal of Runian's past. How assumptions that both he and we make end up being smaller parts of the bigger whole, or just straight up wrong. Really effective, as it's something I've personally only seen in visual media, not written. Makes me want to check out similar kinds of stories.

The artwork is also fantastic, especially how it's presented as chapter starters and sections of the actual handbook. Really neat and effective way of conveying relevant information and clearing up the questions about how dimension hopping works, as well as the attitude of the society using it. 

I also enjoyed the tone of Runian. His whole rating system bit and general comedic voice was pretty well done, though I can see it not landing with others. 

Overall though, solid book! I think the coolest thing about these secret projects are just how unique they are. Seeing Brando experiment with different styles and voices is really cool, and improve the books he's yet to write!

Also, Ealstan's a Radiant, cosmere or not. That guy deserves a Shardaxe. 

I have't finished yet, but I just met Ryan, and before I go on I want to make a plea.

Ryan is too competent, and he would overshadow the protagonist. So, the story is likely to kill him. please, please don't kill ryan!

edit: oh, it was something different entirely. worked well enough.

Edited by king of nowhere

I finished the book in a day at the neglect of homework. Ah well.

It was a very enjoyable book. I certainly enjoyed Tress more, but that's probably because that was Cosmere, and I am more invested in the Cosmere than a universe (or multiverse, in this case) that I haven't visited before.

It was very on par for Sanderson, though. I kind of expected it to be longer, but I also read it really quickly. The implications of the technology of interdimensional travel is explored in a very interesting way that makes sense for Sanderson, and I enjoyed learning about it, especially through the little tidbits we found in the fragments of John's guidebook. I actually found myself looking forward to those sections. Even if they weren't plot relevant, I loved seeing such a concept as interdimensional travel become used in marketing. The concept of going "back in time" and being a "wizard", though egotistical and kind of absurd, raises some interesting philosophical implications that I liked thinking about.

Also, I did not expect there to be some kind of magic. I thought it would be a lot more sci-fi, but the implications of finding a dimension where some kind of magic does exist was interesting. Focusing more on that aspect (the whole "Magic doesn't exist here but we found that in this other place it does") would make an interesting plot for a sci-fi novel.

I liked the epilogue. There's more to this multiverse than just a marketing scheme. While humans pay money to move downstream on a whim, other beings are spending eternities moving up...

Also, an interesting question: We know Reckoners is in some kind of multiverse, and that Apocalypse Guard would be set in that same multiverse. I don't know where I heard it, but it's a possibility that the Cytoverse is part of this multiverse, and if that, then you could hypothetically add all of Sanderson's non-cosmere works to it.

But even if it's just Reckoners, the question still stands: Is this "Frugal Wizard's" multiverse (Frugalverse? Does that sound weird?) connected at all to the Reckoner's multiverse? Or are they separate?

2 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Also, is it weird that I seemed to be just as invested in the plot of the little doodles in the margins than I was in the actual plot of the book?

No. I may or may not have scrolled back to figure out the plot of a few of those. Will be really paying attention to those on rereads. 

Anyway I loved reading this!!! I think it was a really well crafted story that let you feel for the characters in a new way. I wanted John to have had a good life and was excited when he thought he was a cop. Anyway, will be using the rating system the hook has forced upon us and will give this book a 4.2/5. Great book, really wanted to see the loose ends ties up, but happy with the ending nonetheless!

The connection of multiverses could be an interesting point... however, one of the things about the book that I was most interested in is that Cecil G. Bagsworth III is originally a character from Alcatraz and John West seems to have a few awfully similar things to Folsom Smedry.... Haha overall it was a great book, one of those one day reads for me. I'd give it a solid 4.5/5.

Brandon's non-cosmere books can be a little hit or miss for me and unfortunately this one fell into the miss category. I liked the premise a lot actually. A society at a technology level that alternative dimensions are up for grabs was interesting. I think though there was just too much whimsy in this book or something else that was distracting. The pacing seemed off but maybe that was because it was a relatively short book. I never really felt any tension and never really got in to any of the characters. The whole book kind of felt like an infomercial to me. The WB was good the characters and some of the plot just didn't land for me. The illustrations were awesome. I do feel like I need to read it again a little bit down the road and maybe my opinion will change. 

On 4/1/2023 at 8:43 PM, The Bookwyrm said:

Also, is it weird that I seemed to be just as invested in the plot of the little doodles in the margins than I was in the actual plot of the book?

I think so, but I also suspect that I'll enjoy them much more when I get the physical book.

The little wizard doodle guy was adorkable. The lady of the lake pulling tools out of a bucket of water got a chuckle out of me. 

I really felt the "chapter by chapter" format in near the beginning of the book. The early chapters strongly felt like they were mostly there for the laugh or the lighthearted-mystery, but I don't fault him for it. Glad he had some fun and he and Emily got to enjoy that. 

Ryan and Jen's turn of character was my favorite Sanderlanche twist. They were just selfish, and didn't treat the people of this dimension as actual humans. 

Stupidest theory: the wight was the ghost of Jen

Best theory: Ealston killing Ulric with a gun. I just thought it'd be with the pistol Ryan linked to John's nanites, which I assumed Ealston still had. 

Most confused theory: Thought the Black Bear would show up and be another Earth-prime person. I need to reread the Thor mythology to make better sense of all that. 

Generally enjoyed the book. Really loved the premise, the illustrations, and the ‘handbook’ pages.

The main parts I was less sure about were the cartel plot and how the mystery of Runian’s backstory took up so much of the story. I was more interested in the medieval dimension, the Frugal Wizard company and inter-dimensional travel, and I felt the book was at its strongest when it was focusing on those things.

I certainly would read more Frugal Wizard books if Brandon decided to turn it into a series. It would be interesting to follow characters who do more ‘normal’ wizard things in their dimensions — someone who tries to build a utopia or conquer the world, like the handbook suggests.

Overall the story was fun. As I am someone who has read several of Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne stories I found that the premise upon which the story was predicated scratched a particular itch. That Ryan did not end up being who he thought was an interesting touch. The inversion of Ryan and Jen was a bit rushed I felt but ultimately made things more interesting. 

As far as the interdimensional traveling aspect, I would have liked to see more of that and had the chance to explore the world in question. The twist that magic was real could have been built up a little more and the true nature of the divine characters could have used some more fleshing out. 

I enjoyed it though Tress was far better. 

I give it a 4/5, great story and tone. Ryan and Jen give Moash competition for characters I hate.

That twist with them hit home for me since I had a somewhat similar issue with an ex that accepted the ring I dropped on a knee to give her. Also, John's headspace through most of the book has done a number to my own. Both of which are why I took a point off.

Nice read, indeed. I found the whole ‘we’ll go there to the big city and just win’-part of the story rather boring, unfortunately. Compared to the twists that Sanderson usually has, this was… short, to say the least. A bit too straight forward. 
However, what really bugged me: has anyone read Scott Meyer’s Off to be the Wizard - series? I can’t stop wondering if Sanderson read those (has anyone asked?). The story is extreme similar and, thus, not very innovative… 

Still, the atmosphere of Hitchhiker’s Guide is fantastic! 

On 7.4.2023 at 0:38 PM, Macrush said:

However, what really bugged me: has anyone read Scott Meyer’s Off to be the Wizard - series? I can’t stop wondering if Sanderson read those (has anyone asked?). The story is extreme similar and, thus, not very innovative…

Yes, however, that connection I did not see. The whole point of TFWGTSME is that the pseudo-past is not shared, which is the exact opposite.

Two stars. Not as annoying as Alcatraz, much better than Princess Bride* (novel); not as good as other MG/YA Sanderson works.

I can see why others enjoyed this more than I do. I like the implications and the concept. Not a fan of the humor (I get that the guide is meant to be a poorly disguised marketing ploy, but it's so farcical that I have trouble believing it would ever actually sell their services). But, since I also am not a fan of HGttG or the AvEL - it wasn't a surprise. At least it is still a semi coherent story with the asides and guidebook excerpts removed.

I also felt that the way Runion's memories came back was poorly handled**

The book looks good and the artwork is great. Mervin's story in the marginalia was better to me than any of the other "guidebook" excerpts.

*Note: The Princess Bride is the shining example of a movie being way better than the book. That book was nigh unreadable.

**Note: For example: Ch 22 Runion is on top of a guy he's just tackled and stopped in the middle of a windup to punch the guy to get the memory-slideshow - but in the middle of memory-moment he blocks an axe, never punches the guy, gets up, has more flashbacks; then decides to fight? Compare to WoK Ch 67:

Spoiler

Where Kal is practically catatonic reliving his flashback and has to fight through the dregs of memory and force himself to act in the situation and defend his team.

It's not like I would expect full flashbacks in a work this short, but I also felt jarred that his mind is flooding with memories, but that's not impacting his ability to interact with the situation around him at all?

On 4/1/2023 at 10:43 PM, The Bookwyrm said:

On 4/2/2023 at 1:45 AM, Cash67 said:

No. I may or may not have scrolled back to figure out the plot of a few of those. Will be really paying attention to those on rereads.

If you open the epub for edit, you can read Mervin's tale from the Marginalia. For example, the first "page" (Marginalia for Part 1):

Spoiler

Part One Marginalia.

A small, squashy, marshmallowy wizard cartoon character named Mervin approaches a large wooden building labeled 'Wizard Shop.' Inside the shop, Mervin sees a tall sales-wizard who has a flowing beard. The tall wizard gestures toward a wall full of different wizarding staffs. Nearby stands a squat wizard with a floofy beard and a nose so big it obscures his eyes. The squat wizard is clearly unenthused, but Mervin looks giddy. The tall sales-wizard demonstrates with a pointy hat that has a fang-filled mouth it uses to blech fire. Mervin is started when the tall sales-wizard uses a pricey wizard staff to zap lightning around the room. Then the tall sales-wizard shows off a row of potions, selecting one labeled with an arrow-pierced heart. He winks suggestively to Mervin, who seems bemused. Mervin picks out a bottled potion with a healer's cross on it.

Well, this is going to be a negative one.

I really liked the preview chapters and the handbook excerpts are great. In general, it has a lot of cool ideas. But as a whole, this was a complete mess.

The plot hits a wall in the middle when seemingly random new stuff is introduced without enhancing the main plot, the love story is genuinely horrendous (and Sefawynn one of the blandest characters Brandon has ever written), the protagonist is annoying (how often do we have to be told he thinks he's a loser? Seemed like every three pages or so in the last part), and the finale is easily the weakest, most confused, least interesting action sequence he has ever published.

It never really came together and felt like something that would be set back to get worked on more some other time (like he did with Apocalypse Guard ... if this was ready for publishing, I wonder what that one was like...).

To put it with John's words: Two stars, needed several months of additional revisions.

Edited by Elegy

Agree with most of the sentiment (see my reaction above); however, I would like to note: 

8 hours ago, Elegy said:

(how often do we have to be told he thinks he's a loser? Seemed like every three pages or so in the last part)

This, to me, was the most realistic part of the book. For those suffering/recovering from mental abuse and/or self-esteem issues these are the kinds of thoughts that plague us consistantly. On a good day, I may only catch myself considering myself worthless once or twice. On a bad day, at least every hour. 

I agree that in prose form it is repetitive and irritating, but it's also the only way to depict this in a book (it's hard to depict feeling like a failure without putting it into words in prose).

Long-story-short (too late): I understand why it bothered you, but please know that it was probably intentional (and fairly accurate, at least for me).

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

4 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Agree with most of the sentiment (see my reaction above); however, I would like to note: 

This, to me, was the most realistic part of the book. For those suffering/recovering from mental abuse and/or self-esteem issues these are the kinds of thoughts that plague us consistantly. On a good day, I may only catch myself considering myself worthless once or twice. On a bad day, at least every hour. 

I agree that in prose form it is repetitive and irritating, but it's also the only way to depict this in a book (it's hard to depict feeling like a failure without putting it into words in prose).

Long-story-short (too late): I understand why it bothered you, but please know that it was probably intentional (and fairly accurate, at least for me).

I fully understand and respect that! Of course, there are characters in other Sanderson books (Stormlight in particular) that also depict mental health problems very realistically (and for some readers frustratingly so, from what I could gather), and those tend to be among my favorite characters (the obvious one being my favorite character of all time, and that one's story has been very inspiring to me in my day to day life - he's one of the biggest of the many reasons why I'm here in the fandom). But I think that there is a difference between something like Stormlight and this book. There is a time in fantasy for protagonists that struggle with realistic mental health issues, but this book's tone didn't lend itself well for that in my opinion, and in this case I felt it hindered the straight-forwardness that was what it seemed to be going for. In contrast to Stormlight where these things are an in-depth focus since it really takes time to delve into the characters.

Like, I definitely agree with you, but I think that in the context of what this book was going for tonally, it didn't seem to work in favor of the book altogether. If that makes sense :huh:

Interestingly, I'm still pretty excited for the physical book because of all the artwork. Argyle really gave it his all!

4 minutes ago, Elegy said:

this book's tone didn't lend itself well for that in my opinion, and in this case I felt it hindered the straight-forwardness that was what it seemed to be going for.

I can agree with that. A large part of his arc was coming to terms with how his self-esteem had been shattered, but the way that resolved before and during the climax could certainly have been handled a bit better. 

I'm seeing some mixed reviews here, but I just absolutely loved the book. I thought the theme was nice, the story interesting, and the climax exiting. I really don't see hardly any downsides to this book. It was just so nice, and fun, and awesome. Probably just as good as Tress, or very close. I'm sorry some of y'all didn't have the same experience reading it as me. :)