Investiture Unit Name Speculation

This is actually something I've wanted to ask Brandon for a while, though I would word the question differently lol.

"How many broams of stormlight is a single Breath?"

I have literally wondered this for ages. But yeah, I feel like the scholars at Silverlight would have come up with a term, either inventing one such as the suggested Adon or using Breaths or Broams as a standard to judge others from.

It's Breath, Breath is the unit of investiture.

Spoiler

Emerald101

I was wondering if there is a unit of Investiture, like maybe something Khriss uses.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but I haven't canonized it yet. Good question. I will eventually canonize it, because I think that people will want it, but I probably won't do so 'til [Mistborn] Era 3, because I want the scientific way of talking about the cosmere to mirror how developed the cultures are, but some of the scholars are beyond where everyone else is. It can be measured. There is a unit.

Emerald101

Like, maybe grams of solid Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

It will probably be an in-world unit of measurement. Right now, to talk about it online if you want, the unit is probably gonna be based around Breath, because a Breath is a distinct amount. Whereas in most of the settings, there's not a distinct amount. Like, how much Allomancy, things like that. How much can a gem hold. It really depends on how the gem is cut, and how long the gem has been out. So... the Breath is a really easy one, so it's become the unit. But there will probably be a fantasy term for it. I might just call it Breath. That's why I'm not canonized yet. But if you guys wanna talk about it in Breath terms, that's probably the easiest.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

14 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Supposedly we're getting an official conversion rate thing at some point, but I also haven't heard anything about that in four years at this point, so who knows?

They've been kicking that can down the road and will do so for as long as they can, I think.  So long as they havent worked it out adn published it, Brandon isnt actually bound by the (likely competing and hard to reconcile) maths for the various effects we've already seen on stage. As long as they havent released that, we the uber-nerds of the Cosmere cant start calling them on interplanetary Conservation issues. 

Just now, Quantus said:

They've been kicking that can down the road and will do so for as long as they can, I think.  So long as they havent worked it out adn published it, Brandon isnt actually bound by the (likely competing and hard to reconcile) maths for the various effects we've already seen on stage. As long as they havent released that, we the uber-nerds of the Cosmere cant start calling them on interplanetary Conservation issues. 

Oh yeah, my thoughts exactly. If it's anywhere this side of Era 3 Mistborn (saying that doesn't work as well anymore since it isn't as far off as it used to be), I will be very surprised. I'm thinking it may be waiting on Arcanum Unbounded 2 somewhat as well, though, since it seems like it would fit in nicely there. 

2 hours ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

To borrow a term from a completely different franchise, the unit of investiture equal to one Breath could be called 1 'idea' of investiture.

This could work as a unit of Investiture for either Whimsy or Invention, depending on how their magics shuffle out.

2 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Tbh I highly doubt Brandon actually has an answer to that one yet lol

Yeah same lol. But still, I can't wait until that's figured out.

Now wait hold on we can actually do some conversions ourselves here, using everyone's favorite Shardblade...

Nightblood.

We've seen Nightblood used by both Szeth and Vasher, with Szeth holding spheres and Vasher holding Breaths. I'm going to go to the chapter in Oathbringer where Szeth draws Nightblood for the first time and the chapter at the end of Warbreaker where Vasher uses Nightblood and see if I can glean anything about that from there lol

I'll be back to reply to this message in a few hours

10 minutes ago, Wandering Shade said:

Yeah same lol. But still, I can't wait until that's figured out.

Now wait hold on we can actually do some conversions ourselves here, using everyone's favorite Shardblade...

Nightblood.

We've seen Nightblood used by both Szeth and Vasher, with Szeth holding spheres and Vasher holding Breaths. I'm going to go to the chapter in Oathbringer where Szeth draws Nightblood for the first time and the chapter at the end of Warbreaker where Vasher uses Nightblood and see if I can glean anything about that from there lol

I'll be back to reply to this message in a few hours

I doubt it will have anything helpful in OB.  If I recall correctly he said a big driver for the Opening of the Perpendicularity (aside from all the narrative culmination bits) was to justify situationally Unlimited Stormlight so that he wouldnt have to work out the math for all the different powers.  

7 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I doubt it will have anything helpful in OB.  If I recall correctly he said a big driver for the Opening of the Perpendicularity (aside from all the narrative culmination bits) was to justify situationally Unlimited Stormlight so that he wouldnt have to work out the math for all the different powers.  

Which is fair, but also there's the scene in the Purelake where Szeth draws Nightblood to kill a dude. He had a bunch of spheres on him and I don't remember if its ever said how many, but it wasn't enough to sate Nightblood for even the few moments it was drawn, seeing as it damaged Szeth's arm in the process.

1 minute ago, Wandering Shade said:

Which is fair, but also there's the scene in the Purelake where Szeth draws Nightblood to kill a dude. He had a bunch of spheres on him and I don't remember if its ever said how many, but it wasn't enough to sate Nightblood for even the few moments it was drawn, seeing as it damaged Szeth's arm in the process.

I think that shows one of the issues that would come from using Breaths as the discrete unit of measure: they represent a relatively large quantity of Investiture compared to other storable forms.

22 hours ago, Quantus said:

I think that shows one of the issues that would come from using Breaths as the discrete unit of measure: they represent a relatively large quantity of Investiture compared to other storable forms.

milliBreaths

microBreaths

nanoBreaths

I can do this all day.  Or, at least, until I run out of prefixes.  ;-)

32 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

milliBreaths

microBreaths

nanoBreaths

I can do this all day.  Or, at least, until I run out of prefixes.  ;-)

And so long as Breaths prove divisible and their uses scale appropriately to fit that, sure that might work.  Still, we dont measure molecules by the Mile for a reason...

12 minutes ago, Quantus said:

And so long as Breaths prove divisible and their uses scale appropriately to fit that, sure that might work.  Still, we dont measure molecules by the Mile for a reason...

Well you could find out how much fully charged Sand it's worth and then divide.

Now we could also see a Imperial/Metric system type divide in the cosmere. 

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Well you could find out how much fully charged Sand it's worth and then divide.

Now we could also see a Imperial/Metric system type divide in the cosmere. 

I think sand is likely to be the most useful Metric and Measuring tool, at least on the low end of the scale given how it can be charged by simple proximity to kinetic Investiture even by "quiet" effects like Lightweaving.  As long as grain size does not vary a whole lot, Charged White Sand by weight or volume would provide both a repeatable unit of measure and a convenient and obvious measurement tool. 

Breaths probably work better for the upper end of the scale.  The measurement process (or at least the means of calibration) wouldnt be Breaths themselves so much as a Returned, since we can assume one week's worth of Investiture sustenance should be equivalent regardless of flavor.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:32 AM, KaladinWorldsinger said:

To borrow a term from a completely different franchise, the unit of investiture equal to one Breath could be called 1 'idea' of investiture.

It's just a term I really like, but maybe it doesn't fit for investiture

Maybe one intent of investiture?